KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any opinions or thoughts on the area around KUMed center (39th and Rainbow blvd) for an apartment, regarding the safety of the area and what not?

Members don't see this ad.

Any opinions or thoughts on the area around KUMed center (39th and Rainbow blvd) for an apartment, regarding the safety of the area and what not?

I've heard it's not a bad place to live! I have a friend who has a rented house down there on 39th and she loves it. I love 39th street, specifically the Noire Oddities shop. So much weird in there it's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Feeling kinda anxious, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's around to start feeling like that! Just know that all of us freshly minted M2s were in the same boat as you and we survived. We will do our best to help get you through with tutoring, tips, study guides so don't worry :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's around to start feeling like that! Just know that all of us freshly minted M2s were in the same boat as you and we survived. We will do our best to help get you through with tutoring, tips, study guides so don't worry :)

Only 19.99 a month

Reactions: 4 users

I did my graduate work at KU med so I was around that area for several years. If you're on the Kansas side of the state line it's better than if you're on the Missouri side. They have crime there, but nothing I wouldn't think you would find in most cities. There's the occasional robbery, such as the car that was stolen out of one of the KU med parking lots and several individuals who were robbed as they were walking back-and-forth to the school. We even had an active shooter one of the years that I was there, but we're seeing those across the country nowadays so that's nothing unusual.

Any of those things shouldn't be a real concern to somebody who understands how to take proper precautions and just watch out.

There's a gated apartment complex right on rainbow called rainbow Ridge. The postdoc I worked with lived there and liked it pretty well.

The spring valley apartment complexes that are on Booth basically just across the street are also OK. I knew several students who live there and they said while they weren't as nice they were relatively affordable and they didn't mind the much.

You also have the Vista condominiums which are right on the corner of rainbow and 39th and those are luxury condominiums. I know a lot of people who lived there and they liked them a lot....there's the added benefit of being able to have indoor parking if you live there.

A large number of students also just rent out rooms at houses that are on the other side of the rainbow. There's a ton of them renting out to med and grad students that tend to be relatively inexpensive in comparison.

The best perk to living in that area, in my opinion, is that you've got numerous different places to choose to eat if you go walking down 39th. It's not just affordable places to go but also a wide variety of international influences. You have sushi, pan Asian (I absolutely love Blue Koi), Vietnamese, there's a great burger joint just to name a few. The list just keeps going. So if you like to grab a bite to eat at eclectic places it's a great place to be.

Reactions: 1 users
I did my graduate work at KU med so I was around that area for several years. If you're on the Kansas side of the state line it's better than if you're on the Missouri side. They have crime there, but nothing I wouldn't think you would find in most cities. There's the occasional robbery, such as the car that was stolen out of one of the KU med parking lots and several individuals who were robbed as they were walking back-and-forth to the school. We even had an active shooter one of the years that I was there, but we're seeing those across the country nowadays so that's nothing unusual.

Any of those things shouldn't be a real concern to somebody who understands how to take proper precautions and just watch out.

There's a gated apartment complex right on rainbow called rainbow Ridge. The postdoc I worked with lived there and liked it pretty well.

The spring valley apartment complexes that are on Booth basically just across the street are also OK. I knew several students who live there and they said while they weren't as nice they were relatively affordable and they didn't mind the much.

You also have the Vista condominiums which are right on the corner of rainbow and 39th and those are luxury condominiums. I know a lot of people who lived there and they liked them a lot....there's the added benefit of being able to have indoor parking if you live there.

A large number of students also just rent out rooms at houses that are on the other side of the rainbow. There's a ton of them renting out to med and grad students that tend to be relatively inexpensive in comparison.

The best perk to living in that area, in my opinion, is that you've got numerous different places to choose to eat if you go walking down 39th. It's not just affordable places to go but also a wide variety of international influences. You have sushi, pan Asian (I absolutely love Blue Koi), Vietnamese, there's a great burger joint just to name a few. The list just keeps going. So if you like to grab a bite to eat at eclectic places it's a great place to be.

Thanks so much for the information! Sounds like a nice area and doesn't seem like a bad commute to KCU. I will def look into those apartment places.

@reunic have you tried that sushi place on 39th? Is it worth trying?

Friend's sushi? Yeah it's not bad. So far the best sushi I've had in the KC area is either Sakura by Nieman and 75th or Ra out at Town Center.

Jun's by Stateline and 75th has a back room where you are seated on the floor more traditional japanese style.

Friend's sushi? Yeah it's not bad. So far the best sushi I've had in the KC area is either Sakura by Nieman and 75th or Ra out at Town Center.

Jun's by Stateline and 75th has a back room where you are seated on the floor more traditional japanese style.

Thanks for the suggestions! Are either of those pretty affordable btw? hahaha

Thanks for the suggestions! Are either of those pretty affordable btw? hahaha

Sakura probably more so that Ra. Though Ra has a daily happy hour where some items are discounted. Ultimately depends on how much you tend to eat in one sitting. I always felt I was getting a good value at Sakura. Realistically, sushi is never "cheap" here compared to on the coast, but I wouldn't say it's outlandishly expensive !

For comparison sake:
Unagi and Hamachi are about $3.80 at Sakura compared to ~$3 on the coast.

www.sakurajapaneserestaurant.net

Decided to ship my car rather than make the drive from CA. Anyone have experience transporting their car? Please PM me if you do. Thanks!

Do the lecture slides come in PDF or ppt form? Just curious as I'm looking into annotating apps.

One more thing to sell if anyone is interested. I used these cards to study for MOD 2 and they helped a ton! They are in great shape. Let me know if you're interested through PM.

ImageUploadedBySDN1467177337.494005.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they post the pdfs in advance or after and, if they do in advance, how far in advance usually?

The posting of the PowerPoint slides to BlackBoard range by professor. Some will have them available for the week, but others have them posted the morning of the lecture.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

is there any good sources and times to buy used medical equipment sets from students?

also, i don't use FB, but is the kcu class FB page useful?

is there any good sources and times to buy used medical equipment sets from students?

also, i don't use FB, but is the kcu class FB page useful?

Yes, you need to get on the Facebook page. There were many people selling stuff. You can post on it and see if anyone still is selling.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Just out of pure curiosity, why do you guys think the KCU class threads are the only active ones on SDN?

Just out of pure curiosity, why do you guys think the KCU class threads are the only active ones on SDN?

A very good question that I honestly don't think anyone will figure out an answer to. I think a lot of us new MS-2's were SDN members even prior to applying and perhaps because of our activity it makes it so that a lot of other potential KCU-ers want to join? haha

A very good question that I honestly don't think anyone will figure out an answer to. I think a lot of us new MS-2's were SDN members even prior to applying and perhaps because of our activity it makes it so that a lot of other potential KCU-ers want to join? haha

Possibly. Idk either. I posted a lot all throughout undergrad too so it wasn't only because I go to KCU.

I like to help the new incoming students because we had a lot of help as well and I know how confusing stuff can be when you guys are getting started.

Possibly. Idk either. I posted a lot all throughout undergrad too so it wasn't only because I go to KCU.

I like to help the new incoming students because we had a lot of help as well and I know how confusing stuff can be when you guys are getting started.

Same here haha. We have been around for many many years even before the app cycle so that could be it?

It's because we have no lives. I mean did you actually think @AlteredScale exists? He's an elaborate ruse developed by Synaptic doctor and I to pass the time and plot the downfall of the age of man. #formordor

Last edited:
I think it has to do a lot with needing to find out how to deal with our curriculum and because we have curved tests and grades. So inadvertently we spent a lot of time trying to guess averages in the class or discuss how we approach some of the material for the classes.

anyone know if they are forcing us to buy their required equipment set? i'm looking to buy a cheaper pocket scope set from an online seller.

anyone know if they are forcing us to buy their required equipment set? i'm looking to buy a cheaper pocket scope set from an online seller.

I honestly don't see how they could make us by "their" set. If they were, they would have to include the cost in the tuition and fees and debit it out before things like loan reimbursement or likely have it be a required deposit payment in addition to the seat deposit and matriculation fee.

The list just indicates what items we need. It shouldn't matter where those items come from as long as we have them available. Technically, they usually try to provide kits at a cheaper value than one could buy individually, but such is not the case if you purchase used.

I'm allergic to nail polish (makes me wheeze-y and my eyelids swell up), so I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to do anatomy lab. My allergist said it's likely the formaldehyde in the polish (the 3-free polish doesn't bother me). Anyone ever heard of anyone not being able to do lab because of asthma?

I'm allergic to nail polish (makes me wheeze-y and my eyelids swell up), so I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to do anatomy lab. My allergist said it's likely the formaldehyde in the polish (the 3-free polish doesn't bother me). Anyone ever heard of anyone not being able to do lab because of asthma?

Hmm I haven't heard that, most just wear masks and goggles if they are sensitive. I wonder if you can do that perhaps?

L

Hmm I haven't heard that, most just wear masks and goggles if they are sensitive. I wonder if you can do that perhaps?

L

I could dose up on albuterol beforehand but then I would be so shaky I wouldn't be able to dissect anything. Definitely don't want to wear a full blown organic vapor respirator. It's so hard to breathe in those things. I guess I'll just find out on the first day of lab...

I could dose up on albuterol beforehand but then I would be so shaky I wouldn't be able to dissect anything. Definitely don't want to wear a full blown organic vapor respirator. It's so hard to breathe in those things. I guess I'll just find out on the first day of lab...

Not going to sugarcoat it. While they filter the air in the room, that doesn't change the reality that you're going to spend around 40 hours in anatomy lab per class (MSK and Neuro will be more like 60). I recommend early on experimenting with options to minimize your symptoms, ex. wearing googles and a mask and discussing it with the faculty.

But you can avoid getting full blasts of the odor tho and it's probably less strong than having nail polish applied.

Ah that sucks :/ Sorry to hear.

If it were me I would def contact Dr. B Wright early on and ask what your options! And like @Drrrrrr. Celty said, the ventilation in there is very strong and the vapors don't linger

Ah that sucks :/ Sorry to hear.

If it were me I would def contact Dr. B Wright early on and ask what your options! And like @Drrrrrr. Celty said, the ventilation in there is very strong and the vapors don't linger

Thanks guys! I've read that the majority of the vapor is phenol, and we use that in my lab at work and it doesn't bother me, so maybe it won't be so bad. Should I get a letter from my allergist before I move?

Thanks guys! I've read that the majority of the vapor is phenol, and we use that in my lab at work and it doesn't bother me, so maybe it won't be so bad. Should I get a letter from my allergist before I move?

For sure! I would def get a letter just in case.i really do think they'll believe but better to get it now and be ready!

Did anyone do the summer learning enhancement thing? Worth it or nah?

For stethoscope, do we have to purchase "Littmann Cardiology III 27” Stethoscope" or can get by with the Classic III? Anyone thats done this know what the difference is?

For stethoscope, do we have to purchase "Littmann Cardiology III 27” Stethoscope" or can get by with the Classic III? Anyone thats done this know what the difference is?

I got the Classic III and I was forced to stand in the from the class and state why I didn't listen to orders. Kind of traumatizing but w/e. Saved 50 bucks.

@SynapticDoctah and @Higherprimate can confirm this story.

You can get any stethoscope you want. The school lists "required" stuff but none of it is actually required. You just need to have A stethoscope.

You can get any stethoscope you want. The school lists "required" stuff but none of it is actually required. You just need to have A stethoscope.

So if we don't have the otoscope and ophthalmoscope and other wonderful goodies in our kit, that's not gonna be a problem?

So if we don't have the otoscope and ophthalmoscope and other wonderful goodies in our kit, that's not gonna be a problem?

Sorry. What I meant was you don't have to get the exact model that they say is required.

You need to get the tools, but I would get cheap stuff except for the stethoscope cause you can keep the stethoscope for your career.

Sorry. What I meant was you don't have to get the exact model that they say is required.

You need to get the tools, but I would get cheap stuff except for the stethoscope cause you can keep the stethoscope for your career.

Thank you for the clarification! :)

Is the academic calendar posted finalized in terms of holidays? Would it be okay to go ahead and book a flight home for the 20th - 2nd? I don't think I'm going to see prices this good again so I want to go ahead and book.

Is the academic calendar posted finalized in terms of holidays? Would it be okay to go ahead and book a flight home for the 20th - 2nd? I don't think I'm going to see prices this good again so I want to go ahead and book.

Also, would it be okay to fly out at 6:21 PM on the 19th or is it possible we wouldn't be done in time for me to get to the airport?

The 20th-2nd of which months? Hahah