KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if we accepted the amount thatw e were given on the loan website, is that all there is to it? Or do we need to figure out our own private loans? This might be a really bad question to ask around this time..

I'm kind of confused on your question--do you need to get more loans than what you accepted originally? You can always change the amount you accepted by contacting the finaid office. If you're trying to get other loans outside federal loans, can you certainly opt for private loans, although it's not necessarily the best idea as they don't have tons of repayment options like federal loans and oftentimes they have variable interest rates.

Is it worth buying a used medical kit? Or is a new one the way to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
On an unrelated note, what books, if any, should I get prior to loan disbursement? There is a bookstore that's serves the medical college in town going out of business and I can score some deals in the next couple of weeks. For example, I bought a new copy of Panini's biochem for 8 bucks and dubin's ekg for 4.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
sheesh..I'm half tempted to beg you to get me a copy

Reactions: 1 users
sheesh..I'm half tempted to beg you to get me a copy

I bet you could make a few bucks by buying a few extra copies of the books everyone is gonna want, like biochem, and then selling them for $15 or $20

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On an unrelated note, what books, if any, should I get prior to loan disbursement? There is a bookstore that's serves the medical college in town going out of business and I can score some deals in the next couple of weeks. For example, I bought a new copy of Panini's biochem for 8 bucks and dubin's ekg for 4.

Those are ridiculous prices.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

How much does a new med kit plus stethoscope cost if bought from KCU?

So I have been comparing apple laptops and was hoping a new MacBook Pro would be released before August but it's not looking like that will happen... So I was going back and forth between the 13" pro and air and decided the Retina display is a must for me, so that kicks the air out of the equation. I actually took a look at the new MacBooks and they seem to be a decent machine and would be a perfect for me and school??

Any thoughts on this I really like the design, they have Retina display, super light, great battery life no fan and a force touch keypad... The cons are a slightly weaker cpu (but I really don't do anything that intense on my laptop, watch videos/lectures, word, ppt, surf the web, Netflix, and video edit on iMovie occasionally) so I don't really see that being an issue... And the other con is it only has 1 usb-c port. Which really doesn't bother me cause you can get an adapter that allows you to have an hdmi, usb and charging port simultaneously if need be. Plus I rarely connect anything to my computer besides the charger.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
So I have been comparing apple laptops and was hoping a new MacBook Pro would be released before August but it's not looking like that will happen... So I was going back and forth between the 13" pro and air and decided the Retina display is a must for me, so that kicks the air out of the equation. I actually took a look at the new MacBooks and they seem to be a decent machine and would be a perfect for me and school??

Any thoughts on this I really like the design, they have Retina display, super light, great battery life no fan and a force touch keypad... The cons are a slightly weaker cpu (but I really don't do anything that intense on my laptop, watch videos/lectures, word, ppt, surf the web, Netflix, and video edit on iMovie occasionally) so I don't really see that being an issue... And the other con is it only has 1 usb-c port. Which really doesn't bother me cause you can get an adapter that allows you to have an hdmi, usb and charging port simultaneously if need be. Plus I rarely connect anything to my computer besides the charger.

Thoughts?

Ultimately this is going to depend completely on your personal taste. I use the standard screen macbook. For me, the retina display doesn't provide enough difference or a viewing experience superior enough to merit choosing it over the standard.

As for battery life, I know Apple indicates there is roughly a 3 hr difference between battery life span, but I have never felt my non-retina macbook didn't last long enough before the battery dies. It's just a factor of how many things you run for how long.

Lastly, I avoid the solid state storage drive in my computers. If I want solid state I can purchase external drive for expanded storage, but I prefer my 1 TB 5400 rpm drive as I have had to rescue data before from one such drive (not on a macbook) and this was more easily achieved on that type of drive than is often the case of a damaged or dysfunctional solid state.

These are all personal preferences. So, they may be unimportant or completely opposite of your opinions!

Ultimately this is going to depend completely on your personal taste. I use the standard screen macbook. For me, the retina display doesn't provide enough difference or a viewing experience superior enough to merit choosing it over the standard.

As for battery life, I know Apple indicates there is roughly a 3 hr difference between battery life span, but I have never felt my non-retina macbook didn't last long enough before the battery dies. It's just a factor of how many things you run for how long.

Lastly, I avoid the solid state storage drive in my computers. If I want solid state I can purchase external drive for expanded storage, but I prefer my 1 TB 5400 rpm drive as I have had to rescue data before from one such drive (not on a macbook) and this was more easily achieved on that type of drive than is often the case of a damaged or dysfunctional solid state.

These are all personal preferences. So, they may be unimportant or completely opposite of your opinions!

Just a tidbit of advice, even a crappy TLC SSD has a lower failure rate than the best HD. If we start talking about MLC, NVME or other more premium SSDs then the chances of a failure even in a decade of use is minimal. Likewise a 900p resolution screen is not comparable to a 1600p resolution screen, but whether or not that matters is really minor, though when I bought my pro I couldn't rationalize getting a 900p air when I could get a 1600p macbook pro for an extra hundred.

I mean call me spoiled, but once you go SSD you don't go back. I doubt that I'll even use HDs in my next system I build after medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a tidbit of advice, even a crappy TLC SSD has a lower failure rate than the best HD. If we start talking about MLC, NVME or other more premium SSDs then the chances of a failure even in a decade of use is minimal. Likewise a 900p resolution screen is not comparable to a 1600p resolution screen, but whether or not that matters is really minor, though when I bought my pro I couldn't rationalize getting a 900p air when I could get a 1600p macbook pro for an extra hundred.

I mean call me spoiled, but once you go SSD you don't go back. I doubt that I'll even use HDs in my next system I build after medical school.

I have tried SSD before, which is why I don't like them. Have never had a mac HD fail on me, only a PC HD.

But again, these are personal opinions as stated. I don't personally like the 1600p resolution just as I don't like blue-ray disc videos. Just my own preferences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have tried SSD before, which is why I don't like them. Have never had a mac HD fail on me, only a PC HD.

But again, these are personal opinions as stated. I don't personally like the 1600p resolution just as I don't like blue-ray disc videos. Just my own preferences.

My only hard drive fail came from an Mac HD. While they use Hitachi drives, which are some of the best, they're simply a growingly obsolete technology.

Eh, those views are just all really interesting. But alright, preferences exist and I can respect that.

Thoughts?

I could not agree more about the Retina display. I have a pro with retina and an air w/o and the Retina display is so much better. Go into the store and look at the same page/video when the retina/non-retina computers are side by side and you will sell yourself on it.

Don't worry about computers or school. This is what you should be worrying about:
ImageUploadedBySDN1466108233.172271.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
If you or any of you are here between July 23 to start of orientation we should grab some grub and brew!

Especially if it's at Joe's KC!

FYI.... I have a lot of our required books in pdf... Let me know if you want free books people..

I need your emails please.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Any current HPSP students here I can run some questions by?

If anyone is interested, I will also be selling my Clinical Microbiology book that is required for your last class of the year next year. Message me if interested.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

How excited is everyone for Google Fiber!?

Getting nervous.. Is there anything we should be doing before we start in August? How many hours should we start studying/reviewing right away? When will we have our first test roughly? Thanks.

Getting nervous.. Is there anything we should be doing before we start in August? How many hours should we start studying/reviewing right away? When will we have our first test roughly? Thanks.

You should not do anything before august. Enjoy you time before you become stuck as a med student who studies all the time.

Youll have to adjust when you start. It may be a lot of hrs put in. Your first exam will be one week after classes start (the next monday);

One thing youll need to get used to is sitting down for hours on end. It hurt my butt when I first started studying haha.

One more thing I am selling that will serve you well in MOD2 (microbiology) at the end of your first year:

Lippincott Microflashcards (4th. ed)

Message me if interested.

Last edited:
Just to give you some perspective...I think I have put in class to 30 hours the past 3 days studying for our MOD2 final.

The worst part is when you realize that you're going to forget almost 80% of it. Like why?

During? No. I tried to but it is so hard to keep up. I will be doing clinical research during the summe though.

I'm honestly not worried about being able to keep up with the coursework. My concern is more of whether or not it is possible to find a faculty member to do research for during the first year.

I'm honestly not worried about being able to keep up with the coursework. My concern is more of whether or not it is possible to find a faculty member to do research for during the first year.

There are only 7-8 faculty doing research and all are doing wet lab work. When i say its hard to do i mean your scheudle is too busy (required things) to do bench work on a continuous basis thatll get you data that may or may not be published. At best youll present a poster at our schools research day but that is insignifcant to a real poster at a regional or national confernece or authorship in a publication. You can PM me if you want as I have had fairly extensive experience with research.

What is the difference between the the fiber optic and LED otoscope? Is it worth paying for the LED?

What is the difference between the the fiber optic and LED otoscope? Is it worth paying for the LED?

LED is probably a but brighter but it really won't matter, the fiber will be fine. Save the money if you need to!

the new post for required medical equipment is really pushing us to buy the recommended set. are we not able to buy used sets? are there students that sell used sets?

the new post for required medical equipment is really pushing us to buy the recommended set. are we not able to buy used sets? are there students that sell used sets?

YOU DO NOT NEED a new set. Buy a used set. You will barely use most of the stuff. The only thing I would spend some money on is a stethoscope because you can use it for your career.

YOU DO NOT NEED a new set. Buy a used set. You will barely use most of the stuff. The only thing I would spend some money on is a stethoscope because you can use it for your career.

I've heard some rumors from the grapevine that they're trying to make them buy new kits from the new bookstore.

Is there one exam per class/module or more than one? I recall in the forum someone saying our first exam would be one week after classes begin, but the first module MED 110 - Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms is 3 weeks long. Just wanting to plan accordingly for exam preparations and it would help to know if it's a one and done or not!
Thank you!

Is there one exam per class/module or more than one? I recall in the forum someone saying our first exam would be one week after classes begin, but the first module MED 110 - Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms is 3 weeks long. Just wanting to plan accordingly for exam preparations and it would help to know if it's a one and done or not!
Thank you!

So most will have minimum two exams. MCM will be a midterm one week after day one (this will basically cover your standard biochemistry semester course) And then a final (the rest). HDM (immuno) has 2 tests. MSK has a practical and I think 2 tests. Same with cardio. Endocrine only had one test and it screwed a lot of ppls grades (including mine).

Exams are high stakes so don't fail me or say "I think I'll take it easy on this one and do better on the next" you'll never know how well you'll do on the final!

Sorry for excess use of parenthesis (no I'm not).

Reactions: 1 users
So most will have minimum two exams. MCM will be a midterm one week after day one (this will basically cover your standard biochemistry semester course) And then a final (the rest). HDM (immuno) has 2 tests. MSK has a practical and I think 2 tests. Same with cardio. Endocrine only had one test and it screwed a lot of ppls grades (including mine).

Exams are high stakes so don't fail me or say "I think I'll take it easy on this one and do better on the next" you'll never know how well you'll do on the final!

Sorry for excess use of parenthesis (no I'm not).

Thx (thank you)! Clueless (no idea) as to what excessive (really was minimal) inclusion (use) of parenthesis you are referring to(talking about).