NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just checked my status and got the same award, although my coa was over 80k. 17k does kinda seem a little low to cover everything after tuition.

Yeah, that's how much I got as well (in Stafford loans) and my CoA was > 80k as well. Maybe that is the baseline amount everyone is eligible

Hmm, according to NSU's financial aid notice, I'm designated as "out-of-state / living on-campus"...I can't think of any other explanation why I would have a lower COA than both of you as an out-of-stater (i.e.Both of you have COA > 80k). I haven't even finalized my on-campus housing vs off-campus apt decision yet. I'm going to call NSU's financial aid office tomorrow.

Are you both designated as "out-of-state, living off-campus"?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, according to NSU's financial aid notice, I'm designated as "out-of-state / living on-campus"...I can't think of any other explanation why I would have a lower COA than both of you as an out-of-stater (i.e.Both of you have COA > 80k). I haven't even finalized my on-campus housing vs off-campus apt decision yet. I'm going to call NSU's financial aid office tomorrow.

Are you both designated as "out-of-state, living off-campus"?

Everyone is still designated as "out of state" because admissions still has yet to process the residency paperwork...Or at least that is what I was told by admissions last week.

Yeah, I'm designated as out-of-state, living off-campus.

In the CoA PDF, it states:

M1 1011 Annual Total

In State Total
$76,353 (Off Campus)
$58,100 (With Parent)
$67,319 (On Campus)

Out of State Total
$82,248 (Off Campus)
$63,995 (With Parent)
$73,214 (On Campus)

Members don't see this ad :)
my list
1) solid clinical rotations
2) reputation
3) students generally content

As for Western,
If location is the only factor: Imo, depends on personal preference-- family nearby in SoCal? Personal ties to SoCal? dry heat vs humidity?
Both are good schools, imo, can't go wrong with either choice.

I visited Western before my interview and withdrew my application right after. Nova is a ton better, I liked that it has a full undergrad and it wasn't previously a jc penney.

Yeah, I'm designated as out-of-state, living off-campus.

In the CoA PDF, it states:

M1 1011 Annual Total

In State Total
$76,353 (Off Campus)
$58,100 (With Parent)
$67,319 (On Campus)

Out of State Total
$82,248 (Off Campus)
$63,995 (With Parent)
$73,214 (On Campus)

:thumbup: Thanks!! Didn't see this before.

I wonder how you could be classified as out-of-state but live with your parent's in Ft. Lauderdale. It seems like you would just use their address for your residency status and receive in-state tuition. Maybe there is more to it, I lived in Texas all of my life so there was no arguing my out-of-state designation, but I guess there are circumstances that would classify a student as out-of-state but they also would be living with their parents in medical school. If anybody knows how this could happen let me know I am curious to find out.

I wonder how you could be classified as out-of-state but live with your parent's in Ft. Lauderdale. It seems like you would just use their address for your residency status and receive in-state tuition. Maybe there is more to it, I lived in Texas all of my life so there was no arguing my out-of-state designation, but I guess there are circumstances that would classify a student as out-of-state but they also would be living with their parents in medical school. If anybody knows how this could happen let me know I am curious to find out.

Well not exactly sure what you are referring to exactly, but I will take a shot at it....

Either you are talking about somebody who is living at home in Ft Lauderdale who is currently classified as an out of state student by NSU's website. That is because NSUCOM still has not processed our residency paperwork yet...

Or you are talking about someone who is living with their parents in Ft Lauderdale, but has the designation as an out of state resident (referring to the COA table that shows this option). Their are many families that have a second residence in Florida, but do not claim Florida as their primary residence and maintain another state's residency. (I think this it what you are referring to) Another situation could be where an in-state student failed to file their residency paperwork to claim in-state tuition (I would like to think that this is a rarity, but I guarantee you that it happens!). It may also apply to a situation where the parents by the student a house to live in while at school...

No. Your state residency is what you claimed on your aacomas app.

And supplemental paperwork that is submitted to the school (and is required by the state). In Florida, you can not get your state residency changed to in-state during a program...So if you start out as out of state, then you remain an out of state for the entire program.

Hey everyone!

I haven't been keeping up with your thread but I am an M2 at Nova and I just wanted to welcome you all and congratulate you for being accepted! I am looking forward to meeting you all in August! Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Thanks DitchDoc. You were right, I was referring to the COA table. I guess there are some instances were you can live with your parents and be claimed as out-of-state.

Yay, done with 1st year. For the record, Id rather eat a ten pound bag of **** then go through first year again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. Sounds like all of us starting this year have so much to look forward to.

Congrats. Sounds like all of us starting this year have so much to look forward to.
It was a rougher year for me than most. Dont read too much into it. There will be plenty of time for fun as well. I think the school is great, if that means anything to you.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I'd love to hear from some current students about this though. I've been trying to get the NSU IT department to comment on the PC/MAC issue. Apparently there is some software that every student is supposed to have on their computer to be able to take exams in class...i think its called turningpoint? Anyway, my question was whether running windows in parallel with leopard using VMware fusion will let us to install turningpoint on the windows parallel software?

Actually, if anyone wants to comment on whether getting a MAC is a good idea or not for next year, that'd be terrific. I'd rather not have to shell out twice for a laptop if I can just get a MAC + vmware and have the best of both worlds.

Thank you!

I wonder how you could be classified as out-of-state but live with your parent's in Ft. Lauderdale. It seems like you would just use their address for your residency status and receive in-state tuition.
Keep on top of your residency status (as a general reminder to everybody) I've lived in this swamp since I was 4 years old and had trouble getting instate tuition, I'm not really sure WHY it took so long, but I had to keep checking on it. So just be aware :)

Yay, done with 1st year. For the record, Id rather eat a ten pound bag of **** then go through first year again.

2nd year is better (a bit more time to breathe, with 4 or 5 weeks of "awful" peppered in), and it will be MUCH better for you guys from what I understand. :)

Congrats on finishing first year. Enjoy your summer!

Is the whole pass/fail thing any relief as compared to always struggling to get A's? I realize that it is going to be alot of work, but I like to think knowing you just have to get a 70% would relieve some stress.

Is the whole pass/fail thing any relief as compared to always struggling to get A's? I realize that it is going to be alot of work, but I like to think knowing you just have to get a 70% would relieve some stress.
What classes are pass/fail?

It depends on you. For me, I had to struggle to pass. I seriously passed physiology by the skin of my teeth and studied all the time to literally pass on the dot. However, most of my classmates only needed an average of three days to study for any one test. That is about what you should expect, if you are the average student, to perform the average.

What classes are pass/fail?
The classes that dont matter. Nobody gives a **** about those classes. MHS, believe it or not, is a huge grade booster because it is graded but is easy as hell, although a nuisance.

I guess I didnt look into it, I was under the impression all classes were pass/fail. Is it the high honors/honors/pass/fail deal? Or actual letter grade system?

All the classes are graded on a number system, except for IGC which is pass/fail. IGC is the course you will be taking where you will be shadowing a primary care doctor in either family med, internal med, or pediatrics 6 times a semester. As for the rest of the classes, you'll receive an actual number grade, not a letter...so therefore if you get a 90 or a 81 or whatever grade you get, the actual number will show up on your transcripts.

I believe that for rotations during 3rd and 4th year, those are pass/fail/honors. But I can't say exactly how the grading works during those years since i'm a 2nd year.

Hope this clarifies some of your questions!

I am starting at NSUCOM this fall but I will be moving down there June 13. I am interested in orthopedic surgery and I figured that during the summer I could shadow some of the ortho professors at the school. Does anybody have any advice of what ortho surgeons from the school I could shadow this summer.

I went apartment hunting this past week and thought I might post my review of the different places I looked at. This is probably more helpful for someone looking for a studio or 1 bedroom since thats what I was looking at. I decided on Gatehouse on the Green because it was fully renovated from the inside and cheaper than the other options.

Location: Plantation (5 miles and 12-15m drive from Nova). So not within walking/biking distance, but still a reasonable distance from the school for anyone with a car.

1) Gatehouse on the Green: :xf::xf:

• Completely renovated from the inside. New floors, new cabinets, new appliances and new countertops. Everything had been done within the past couple of years. Ceramic tile flooring in the living room was 'different'...but some people may not like it.

• Price range: 950-1070.
2) Laurels at Jacaranda: :xf: (fully renovated) :thumbdown: (un-renovated)

• Laurels is in the process of renovating their apartments, so not all of them are fully renovated and there are different levels of renovations. If you want an apartment, make sure you ask for a level 2 or level 3 renovation. Level 1 = floors, Level 2 = floors + countertops, level 3= floors + countertops + appliances. Unfortunately, the apartments without new appliances have appliances that look like they are 20 years old.
  • Price range: 920-1200- they have 3 different sizes for 1 bedrooms, a studio, 1 bedroom, and a 1 bedroom + den. (3% discount for NSU students)
  • Honestly though, it really depends on what particular apartment you get. A completely renovated apartment is great...one thats not renovated at all isn't that good. Keep that in mind when looking at this place.
3) Verona View: :thumbdown:thumbdown

• Absolutely awful. The apartments looked dirty from the outside and the inside. The lady that showed us the apartment wasn't even following us around. Had to call out to her to get her to come into the same room. She gave us practically no information about it.
  • Old appliances, old carpets, old everything. Oh, and for whatever reason...there were ducks squatting outside everywhere around the apartments. I think they nest outside the doors of the apartments. Not a huge deal for me...but it was just weird.
  • Price: 1300+. It was unreal for them to be charging this much for the crappy apartments I was shown.
Location: Davie - Close to the school. Within walking/biking distance.

4) Sunforest: :xf:

• Close proximity to Nova (one end of the community is literally across the street from Nova). If you dont have a car, biking/walking are very reasonable alternatives.
  • The apartments were alright. They weren't the newest, but they weren't awful either. Washer/Dryer hookups were +$25 a month.
  • Price range: 1100-1250. They were at 98% occupancy when I talked to them, so I'd imagine that is why the price is so high right now. If you're interested in Sunforest...you may want to contact them quickly before they are out.
5) Palm Trace Landings: :xf:

• Sister-property of Sunforest. The apartments were slightly nicer...although the manager mentioned that some had been renovated (just appliances I think and maybe floors) and some had not. You may want to ask for a newer/renovated apartment. Otherwise, pretty much the same as sunforest. A little farther away from Nova, but probably still within biking distance...maybe not walking distance.
  • If you're deciding between this and Sunforest- its pretty much a tossup. Relatively the same place.
  • Random detail: The manager just acted really strange. She made it seem like it was a big deal/hassle to even talk to us about the property listings. I told her the date I was interested in (end of july) and she said she had nothing available for that time period. She didn't even bother to really try and offer me anything earlier (i.e. early july)...I had to ask about it myself. Usually if people dont have units available when you want them, they try to work with you and find something for a different date. This wasn't the case for here...seems like if you are interested in this place, you may have to sign a lease for early july/late june because I don't think anything was available for late july (at least 1br/1bath). She answered all of our questions but she just seemed annoyed to have to deal with us and show us the apartment.
6) New River Cove::thumbdown:

• Farther away from Nova. Pretty much the same as Sunforest/Palm Trace. It's in a weird location on a secluded side street that runs parallel to the highway. Not worth it imo, go with Sunforest or Palm Trace Landings instead.
Places I was going to look at but didn't:

This was either due to apartments/leasing office looking awful from the outside or because there was no one at the leasing office when I dropped by: Jacaranda Club, Lakepointe at Jacaranda, Cameron Cove.

Good luck to anyone still looking.

I am starting at NSUCOM this fall but I will be moving down there June 13. I am interested in orthopedic surgery and I figured that during the summer I could shadow some of the ortho professors at the school. Does anybody have any advice of what ortho surgeons from the school I could shadow this summer.

Yep there are some opportunities for you. Shoot me a PM and I will get some details for you from the ortho club president. I know that she attends a "fracture clinic" at broward general early in the morning on some weeks. Great way to meet the PD and residents since its part of their rounds. That will at least get you started.

IamAriDO.

I went apartment hunting this past week and thought I might post my review of the different places I looked at. This is probably more helpful for someone looking for a studio or 1 bedroom since thats what I was looking at. I decided on Gatehouse on the Green because it was fully renovated from the inside and cheaper than the other options.

Location: Plantation (5 miles and 12-15m drive from Nova). So not within walking/biking distance, but still a reasonable distance from the school for anyone with a car.

1) Gatehouse on the Green: :xf::xf:

• Completely renovated from the inside. New floors, new cabinets, new appliances and new countertops. Everything had been done within the past couple of years. Ceramic tile flooring in the living room was 'different'...but some people may not like it.
  • Price range: 950-1070.
2) Laurels at Jacaranda: :xf: (fully renovated) :thumbdown: (un-renovated)

• Laurels is in the process of renovating their apartments, so not all of them are fully renovated and there are different levels of renovations. If you want an apartment, make sure you ask for a level 2 or level 3 renovation. Level 1 = floors, Level 2 = floors + countertops, level 3= floors + countertops + appliances. Unfortunately, the apartments without new appliances have appliances that look like they are 20 years old.
  • Price range: 920-1200- they have 3 different sizes for 1 bedrooms, a studio, 1 bedroom, and a 1 bedroom + den. (3% discount for NSU students)
  • Honestly though, it really depends on what particular apartment you get. A completely renovated apartment is great...one thats not renovated at all isn't that good. Keep that in mind when looking at this place.
3) Verona View: :thumbdown:thumbdown

• Absolutely awful. The apartments looked dirty from the outside and the inside. The lady that showed us the apartment wasn't even following us around. Had to call out to her to get her to come into the same room. She gave us practically no information about it.
  • Old appliances, old carpets, old everything. Oh, and for whatever reason...there were ducks squatting outside everywhere around the apartments. I think they nest outside the doors of the apartments. Not a huge deal for me...but it was just weird.
  • Price: 1300+. It was unreal for them to be charging this much for the crappy apartments I was shown.
Location: Davie - Close to the school. Within walking/biking distance.

4) Sunforest: :xf:

• Close proximity to Nova (one end of the community is literally across the street from Nova). If you dont have a car, biking/walking are very reasonable alternatives.
  • The apartments were alright. They weren't the newest, but they weren't awful either. Washer/Dryer hookups were +$25 a month.
  • Price range: 1100-1250. They were at 98% occupancy when I talked to them, so I'd imagine that is why the price is so high right now. If you're interested in Sunforest...you may want to contact them quickly before they are out.
5) Palm Trace Landings: :xf:

• Sister-property of Sunforest. The apartments were slightly nicer...although the manager mentioned that some had been renovated (just appliances I think and maybe floors) and some had not. You may want to ask for a newer/renovated apartment. Otherwise, pretty much the same as sunforest. A little farther away from Nova, but probably still within biking distance...maybe not walking distance.
  • If you're deciding between this and Sunforest- its pretty much a tossup. Relatively the same place.
  • Random detail: The manager just acted really strange. She made it seem like it was a big deal/hassle to even talk to us about the property listings. I told her the date I was interested in (end of july) and she said she had nothing available for that time period. She didn't even bother to really try and offer me anything earlier (i.e. early july)...I had to ask about it myself. Usually if people dont have units available when you want them, they try to work with you and find something for a different date. This wasn't the case for here...seems like if you are interested in this place, you may have to sign a lease for early july/late june because I don't think anything was available for late july (at least 1br/1bath). She answered all of our questions but she just seemed annoyed to have to deal with us and show us the apartment.
6) New River Cove::thumbdown:

• Farther away from Nova. Pretty much the same as Sunforest/Palm Trace. It's in a weird location on a secluded side street that runs parallel to the highway. Not worth it imo, go with Sunforest or Palm Trace Landings instead.
Places I was going to look at but didn't:

This was either due to apartments/leasing office looking awful from the outside or because there was no one at the leasing office when I dropped by: Jacaranda Club, Lakepointe at Jacaranda, Cameron Cove.

Good luck to anyone still looking.

I would agree with the above. I really liked Gatehouse and Laurels at Jacaranda. Both of those complexes were my top choice. I chose Laurels because of availability over Gatehouse, and the move in fees at Laurels were very low ($100 total for app/admin/misc fees for move in). Make sure to mention at all of these complexes that you are a NSU student, most give you some kind of discount! I had the same weird vibe about the property manager / staff at Palm Trace. I ended up walking out because they really did not want to be bothered when I was there.

I'd love to hear from some current students about this though. I've been trying to get the NSU IT department to comment on the PC/MAC issue. Apparently there is some software that every student is supposed to have on their computer to be able to take exams in class...i think its called turningpoint? Anyway, my question was whether running windows in parallel with leopard using VMware fusion will let us to install turningpoint on the windows parallel software?

Actually, if anyone wants to comment on whether getting a MAC is a good idea or not for next year, that'd be terrific. I'd rather not have to shell out twice for a laptop if I can just get a MAC + vmware and have the best of both worlds.

Thank you!

Well, for the finale of the M1 year, a "general assessment" was given in online exam format. All students were to bring their laptops to the auditorium, and take the exam. This was sans any "lockdown software" the school plans on implementing, it was simply your laptop, and your choice of web browser. It was a complete failure. Roughly an hour or two into the exam, the servers hosting the exam went partially down and a good number of students were unable to continue. After perhaps 30 minutes of troubleshooting on ITs end, the exam was considered a failure and the class dismissed. If this is any example of the future of "computerized exams" at NSU, I'm highly skeptical it will be a reality even this coming year. That said, it was said at numerous times during the year that whatever software suite they choose for the exams, it should be compatible with both PCs, and Macs.

Hi all!

Congrats on settling on Nova, you'll be glad you did (I am!). So I'm in super crazy board study mode right now, but I wanted to let you know that I'm renting out my house.

It's a 3 bedroom/2bathroom house in Davie off of Hiatus road (5 miles west of school) traversable by highway or side streets.. Utilities, DirecTV, wifi, security system, washer/dryer, yard work, and association fees all included. . One roommate a lawyer (but don't let that turn you off, he's one of the good guys! a prosecutor!). It's furnished, but if you don't want the bedroom set I can store it or something.

Friendly pets welcome (current resident: one cat named Azrael). I will fence in the back yard for you if you'd like (for a dog) for an extra 25.00 a month onto your rent. Nice, quite neighborhood with nice neighbors.

I'm having a little trouble with the pictures but shoot me an email at [email protected]

:) Constance

BTW: the laptop question? I have an acer aspire 1 (cost me 280.00) and a 10 hour battery that I bought off of ebay for 50.00. All in all, I'd say it's a solid investment. Take that for what you will, I don't know what they have planned for you guys but for us (2012) we never used the computers for ANYTHING and only rarely used turning point (the in class clickers).

You guys are headed to a wonderful school, the people before you (the now M2's) are a wonderful, KIND group. You're lucky to have them around. Don't hesitate ask questions. I'm starting my rotations at FL hospital east orlando this July so I can answer questions on that too :)

Last edited:
Hi all!

Congrats on settling on Nova, you'll be glad you did (I am!). So I'm in super crazy board study mode right now, but I wanted to let you know that I'm renting out my house.

It's a 3 bedroom/2bathroom house in Davie off of Hiatus road (5 miles west of school) traversable by highway or side streets.. Utilities, DirecTV, wifi, security system, washer/dryer, yard work, and association fees all included. . One roommate a lawyer (but don't let that turn you off, he's one of the good guys! a prosecutor!). It's furnished, but if you don't want the bedroom set I can store it or something.

Friendly pets welcome (current resident: one cat named Azrael). I will fence in the back yard for you if you'd like (for a dog) for an extra 25.00 a month onto your rent. Nice, quite neighborhood with nice neighbors.

I'm having a little trouble with the pictures but shoot me an email at [email protected]

:) Constance

BTW: the laptop question? I have an acer aspire 1 (cost me 280.00) and a 10 hour battery that I bought off of ebay for 50.00. All in all, I'd say it's a solid investment. Take that for what you will, I don't know what they have planned for you guys but for us (2012) we never used the computers for ANYTHING and only rarely used turning point (the in class clickers).

You guys are headed to a wonderful school, the people before you (the now M2's) are a wonderful, KIND group. You're lucky to have them around. Don't hesitate ask questions. I'm starting my rotations at FL hospital east orlando this July so I can answer questions on that too :)

heyy i live 2 min away from florida hospital east orlando....what are you rotating in, and how long is your rotation there?

Thank you!
I honestly cant tell you too much about the software, but from what I do know you can run windows on a mac just like on a pc, and I was advised by a mac genius at my apple store not to shell out the money to run windows and leopard simultaniously. My understanding was that you choose which program as you turn on your mac so all you have to do to switch from one to the other is restart your computer, which takes 5 sec. with a mac.

My decision to go with a mac was primarily for battery life, it is far superior to any comparably priced pc, and because the nova hpd bldg was built prior to the laptop craze it does not currently have outlets for everyone. I now love my mac, it is the first one I have owned and my experience with Dell has been terrible, plus the macbook is cheaper than the recommended Dell.

I honestly cant tell you too much about the software, but from what I do know you can run windows on a mac just like on a pc, and I was advised by a mac genius at my apple store not to shell out the money to run windows and leopard simultaniously. My understanding was that you choose which program as you turn on your mac so all you have to do to switch from one to the other is restart your computer, which takes 5 sec. with a mac.

My decision to go with a mac was primarily for battery life, it is far superior to any comparably priced pc, and because the nova hpd bldg was built prior to the laptop craze it does not currently have outlets for everyone. I now love my mac, it is the first one I have owned and my experience with Dell has been terrible, plus the macbook is cheaper than the recommended Dell.

I agree 100%, if you are looking at spending ~1000 bucks on a good durable laptop macs are the way to go. Anything a PC can do a mac can do (better). But if you are looking for a laptop that will get what you need done for the two years we are really using them for school purposes then just spend 5-600 and get whatever. Battery life is a big issue especially if there are limited plugs (especially if your computer turns off in the middle of streaming a sports game during class!!!)

anyone know anything about the DO/MBA program?

All the classes are graded on a number system, except for IGC which is pass/fail. IGC is the course you will be taking where you will be shadowing a primary care doctor in either family med, internal med, or pediatrics 6 times a semester. As for the rest of the classes, you'll receive an actual number grade, not a letter...so therefore if you get a 90 or a 81 or whatever grade you get, the actual number will show up on your transcripts.

I believe that for rotations during 3rd and 4th year, those are pass/fail/honors. But I can't say exactly how the grading works during those years since i'm a 2nd year.

Hope this clarifies some of your questions!

3rd & 4th years are relatively subjective. Your given a "end of rotation" exam after each of the core/required rotations on which you must pass with 96 or better in addition to getting honor marks (IE: the doctor circles 5's on the main handful of criteria on the evaluation form) in order to pass w/ honors (designated PH); any less than that on either component will yield you a Pass (P) or Fail (F) depending on how bad your evaluation is or how bad you score on the end of rotation exam.

There is SO much variability and scores from physicians can depend on weather they like your hair that day or if they had a fight with their spouse that morning. Its a random, inconsistent, and labile grading scale. Enjoy your time at Nova :barf:

So I just went back to check my finanical aid status to accept more of my loan (I had previously just accepted the subsidized loans to make myself feel better about not knowing how much money to take out) and now all my financial aid award information is gone and it just says "No award information is available for you at this time, please contact your financial aid office if you have questions."

Same with someone else I asked. anyone know whats up? Is the system down or something?

So I just went back to check my finanical aid status to accept more of my loan (I had previously just accepted the subsidized loans to make myself feel better about not knowing how much money to take out) and now all my financial aid award information is gone and it just says "No award information is available for you at this time, please contact your financial aid office if you have questions."

Same with someone else I asked. anyone know whats up? Is the system down or something?

Mine says the same thing, i hope it is a problem with the site!

Ditto. Probably just an issue with the site. I don't even have financial aid options under sharklink anymore.

When accepting on a partial amount of my unsubsidized loans, should I accept it all from the first column "Direct Usub Staff Loan 20 Term Offered" or spread it out among all 3 of the unsubsidized loan slots. I am confused as to what the difference between the 3 is? :confused:

Also, can someone comment on the HPD library...are there plugs at every desk or what? It looked pretty tiny when I went...is space limited? Where else is there to study around/on campus that is quiet?

Also, can someone comment on the HPD library...are there plugs at every desk or what? It looked pretty tiny when I went...is space limited? Where else is there to study around/on campus that is quiet?
I can't really say about the outlets, but I have been on two campus tours and there are plenty of quiet spots to study on campus. There is a lot of space in the student center, and there is a huge beautiful library separate from hpd as well.

When accepting on a partial amount of my unsubsidized loans, should I accept it all from the first column "Direct Usub Staff Loan 20 Term Offered" or spread it out among all 3 of the unsubsidized loan slots. I am confused as to what the difference between the 3 is? :confused:

You want to accept all three. There is one for each term (Fall, Winter/Spring, Summer). Accepting all three gives you the maximum in Stafford loans for the year. They split it into three terms in order to provide us with a higher cost of living thus allowing us to take out more in loans if we want to.

Popping in to congratulate you guys, which I havent done since Ive been so busy bitching about school.

The truth is, although their curriculum was ****ing stressful 1st year, I had a great time and am really glad I chose to come here. There is a lot to do around campus, meaning Ft Lauderdale and Miami, during the brief respites and the max amount they allow you to take out isnt necessary, unless you are like me and wanted to travel during 1st-2nd year, which I am doing currently. I took out the max, which was 79000 last year, lived in a single in rolling hills, ate out half the time, gambled at the hardrock, and I still finished this past semester with 8000 of Uncle Sams bucks in the bank.

I guarantee you summer will be miserable hot, but winter is PERFECT, you just wait and see. Enjoy yourselves for now, do not study, because even if you read ahead, so to speak, you are going to be studying like mad due to peer pressure and the type A personality stuff. Thats my advice. Signing off to watch world cup.

Hey guys,

Does any of you still have your turningpoint clicker to donate or sell?

Thanks!

NSU-COM Class of 2014:)

heyy i live 2 min away from florida hospital east orlando....what are you rotating in, and how long is your rotation there?

All of my 3rd year core rotations are there (except OB and outpatient neuro! w00t!) so at the hospital I've got Psych, Geriatrics, 2 months of surgery, 2 months of internal med, 2 months of family med, 1 month of in patient peds, 1 month of outpatient peds. I think that's it.

Would you say it is a good idea to wait to buy the medical kit (including stethoscope) during club week?

Popping in to congratulate you guys, which I havent done since Ive been so busy bitching about school.

The truth is, although their curriculum was ****ing stressful 1st year, I had a great time and am really glad I chose to come here. There is a lot to do around campus, meaning Ft Lauderdale and Miami, during the brief respites and the max amount they allow you to take out isnt necessary, unless you are like me and wanted to travel during 1st-2nd year, which I am doing currently. I took out the max, which was 79000 last year, lived in a single in rolling hills, ate out half the time, gambled at the hardrock, and I still finished this past semester with 8000 of Uncle Sams bucks in the bank.

I guarantee you summer will be miserable hot, but winter is PERFECT, you just wait and see. Enjoy yourselves for now, do not study, because even if you read ahead, so to speak, you are going to be studying like mad due to peer pressure and the type A personality stuff. Thats my advice. Signing off to watch world cup.

duplicate post -

Last edited:
Approximately what percentage of Nova students end up staying in Davie, FL for clinical rotations? Is there a lot of room within Broward Health and Memorial Regional?

The hospitals that take the most are broward and memorial, I believe. You've got a good shot at staying local if you want. I haven't heard of anyone being REALLY unhappy with their spot. I feel like most people got what they wanted, or at least something they could live with. I know a lot of ppl who got their first choice.