Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How detailed was everyone's "duties/responsibilities" under volunteer?
I kept them short and sweet, like the example they provided

Members don't see this ad.

There is a character limit of 200 for each entry I believe, and I think I used almost all of that on each entry.

Hmm interesting, did not know there were a limit!

I kept them short and sweet, like the example they provided

I see.
So I assume you didn't go into details for each?

Cheers

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I followed the example as well. Though, there was one experience in HS that I covered in greater depth because it is confusing. Why was HS so complicated, lol? The character limit came fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm interesting, did not know there were a limit!

I see.
So I assume you didn't go into details for each?

Cheers

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
Just enough detail for each lol. One sentence each. I don't relieve the adcoms would want to read a paragraph on each specific volunteer experience when most of them are already described in detail in our (or at least my) aacomas primary app. And we have to keep in mind they gave us an example and that was something like 7 or 8 words!

Just the way StudyShy and I did it, but you should do whatever you feel is best for your application.

Is anyone else's LORs, who used interfolio, not showing as received?

Yes. I submitted my secondary a week ago. I (we) received conformation emails from Interfolio so I know they have the letters, maybe they just didn't download them as of yet. Do you think we should call or wait another week?

MSUCOM 2012-2013 thread information below:

A user posted this, which is supposedly from the MSUCOM website

"For entering students our average GPA is 3.60, average MCAT score is 27 and average hours of community service are 1,200. Where we differ greatly from our allopathic colleagues is that we don’t require a score of 30 on the MCAT to walk in the door. The MCAT score tells us whether you are proficient in standardized test-taking, so we can be sure you’ll be able to pass your boards. That's all it tells us."

MSUCOM adcoms are sweethearts... :oops:

you can send letters not thru interfolio or evals too right?

Yes. I submitted my secondary a week ago. I (we) received conformation emails from Interfolio so I know they have the letters, maybe they just didn't download them as of yet. Do you think we should call or wait another week?

I already made a call to admissions. The lady who answered said that they believe it should have been automatically downloaded and marked as received, however she admitted that the system is still new so she was going to place a call into the systems administrator and get back with me.

I already made a call to admissions. The lady who answered said that they believe it should have been automatically downloaded and marked as received, however she admitted that the system is still new so she was going to place a call into the systems administrator and get back with me.
Thanks. Let me know what she says and if we need to resubmit them.

Just received a secondary invite! Just to confirm, there are no forms that our evaluators have to fill out, just a letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just enough detail for each lol. One sentence each. I don't relieve the adcoms would want to read a paragraph on each specific volunteer experience when most of them are already described in detail in our (or at least my) aacomas primary app. And we have to keep in mind they gave us an example and that was something like 7 or 8 words!

Just the way StudyShy and I did it, but you should do whatever you feel is best for your application.
Good pt
Cheers.

@ the admission avg posted :scared:
3.6 GPA? Darn. I'm only at 3.27!

I didn't apply last cycle so I'm unfamiliar with what you mean by "screening". If someone could explain. Also, do you think the academic aspect (MCAT/GPA) will be set higher for Canadians?

I just checked my status, and my letters haven't been marked as received either. I sent mine on July 1st, I believe.

There is one thing that might have tripped the process up since I chose to send the letters from Interfolio to MSU electronically so that I could save money. Hopefully, I won't have to resubmit the letters from Interfolio using snail mail to get them to MSU.

I didn't apply last cycle so I'm unfamiliar with what you mean by "screening". If someone could explain. Also, do you think the academic aspect (MCAT/GPA) will be set higher for Canadians?

Sometimes schools have cutoffs of MCAT/GPA for secondary send outs. MSU decided that this year they would send secondaries to everyone who applied to their school instead of just limiting the secondary invites to those who have for instance GPAs >3.0 and MCATs >22 (totally made up example).

I do think that overall they expect higher standards from the Canadian applicants as do most schools.

Sometimes schools have cutoffs of MCAT/GPA for secondary send outs. MSU decided that this year they would send secondaries to everyone who applied to their school instead of just limiting the secondary invites to those who have for instance GPAs >3.0 and MCATs >22 (totally made up example).

I do think that overall they expect higher standards from the Canadian applicants as do most schools.

Thank you! Yes that does make sense.. apparently 29 is the average Canadian MCAT

I have a quick question for everyone:

I understand that you need to submit the secondary by your assigned application submission deadline, but is the assigned application submission deadline also the deadline for them to receive letters of recommendation?

Thank you!

There is a character limit of 200 for each entry I believe, and I think I used almost all of that on each entry.
Where are you guys entering your volunteer hours? You're talking about the Primary application right where you enter EC, community service, etc? How do you guys differentiate Volunteer vs. EC there? It all just seems jumbled up together.

And where did you guys get the 200 character limit from? It seems to be 750 there.

Unless the strictly volunteering entries you guys are talking about are on the Secondaries. Just been verified but haven't gotten my secondary app yet.

Where are you guys entering your volunteer hours? You're talking about the Primary application right where you enter EC, community service, etc? How do you guys differentiate Volunteer vs. EC there? It all just seems jumbled up together.

And where did you guys get the 200 character limit from? It seems to be 750 there.

Unless the strictly volunteering entries you guys are talking about are on the Secondaries. Just been verified but haven't gotten my secondary app yet.

This. :)

I have a quick question for everyone:

I understand that you need to submit the secondary by your assigned application submission deadline, but is the assigned application submission deadline also the deadline for them to receive letters of recommendation?

Thank you!

Good question. If you don't think that your LORs would get there in time, I'd definitely give them a ring or e-mail them about it just to make sure. :)

Are they interviewing this cycle? Did I miss something haha

I haven't heard anything that would indicate this, there certainly isn't anything on their website that indicates a change like that.

OPS! lol
wasnt thinking when wrote that, will edit it out.

Let's change it to "will update once I get accepted" :p

Mine aren't showing are received either. I've made two deliveries to MSU via Interfolio as well, hope it works out soon!

Mine aren't showing are received either. I've made two deliveries to MSU via Interfolio as well, hope it works out soon!

I'm doing a test on interfolio. I've resubmitted my LOR, and reformatted my AACOMAS ID to remove the dash, just as they have it setup for the login. If it works I'll let everyone know!

Has anyone tried sending letters via email? I feel like it would be faster than using Interfolio

Submitted AACOMAS June 20, not verified yet. Anyone else around that time? hopefully it will be coming soon, 3 week mark is tomorrow.

Submitted AACOMAS June 20, not verified yet. Anyone else around that time? hopefully it will be coming soon, 3 week mark is tomorrow.

I submitted June 26th and was verified yesterday, should be soon for you!

I submitted June 26th and was verified yesterday, should be soon for you!
oh very nice, I had my mcat scores/transcripts in well before i submitted...wonder what is the hold up at this point since you were 6 days after me, jealous! haha

when did they start accepting people last year?
Early september on Wed. I think i read sept 4 is the first day they accept this year. and then every wed after that...either way its around that time

I'm doing a test on interfolio. I've resubmitted my LOR, and reformatted my AACOMAS ID to remove the dash, just as they have it setup for the login. If it works I'll let everyone know!
I sent them without the dash and they aren't received..

So we have three choices I guess.

1) with dash (Yehoshua24 did this)
2) without dash (I did this)
3) without year 2014 (has anyone tried this)

I sent them without the dash and they aren't received..

So we have three choices I guess.

1) with dash (Yehoshua24 did this)
2) without dash (I did this)
3) without year 2014 (has anyone tried this)

Trying it now.

hahaha trying every possible combo eh? this group is awesome

Yup, you all seem great. Just gotta hope for the best !

Hey guys,

I submitted my primary day 1, had it verified soon after, received 2ndaries from many schools.. but no MSU..

Any ideas? I got one last year even. 3.3/29Q, super upgraded ECs