Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I swear someone was telling me they only had around 400 hours and got accepted.

I've heard that too. Honestly, every application is going to have some weak point and as long as you're strong elsewhere don't worry too much about one flaw. At least that's how I'm thinking to stay sane ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that too. Honestly, every application is going to have some weak point and as long as you're strong elsewhere don't worry too much about one flaw. At least that's how I'm thinking to stay sane ;)
I'm sure a nice mcat/gpa combo could possibly compensate a lower number of volunteer hours

I'm sure a nice mcat/gpa combo could possibly compensate a lower number of volunteer hours

I'm hoping an OK GPA/very nice MCAT combo does the trick too. Then again, a lot of factors + adcoms looking for different things every year mean (in my opinion) that nobody can really predict what your chances are unless you're above average on everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all secondaries out yet?
No, definitely not. They sent the first batch out yesterday and will continue to send them out. Btw they are not screening this year so receiving a secondary before others does not mean anything (at least to my knowledge).

potential silly question.

I have very lukewarm MCAT, and pretty good other stats.
I scheduled another mcat august 22 but lets say i fill out a secondary submit it, can i get accepted before i get my second score back? lets say in the first batch of acceptances early september? THANKS!

I had around 300 hours and was accepted. However my stats were above average. 31 MCAT, 3.5cgpa/3.4sgpa. My MCAT above average anyway.

I had around 300 hours and was accepted. However my stats were above average. 31 MCAT, 3.5cgpa/3.4sgpa. My MCAT above average anyway.

31 MCAT with 3.3c, 3.2s, like 350 volunteering hours. Hopefully the MCAT helps a lot.

I think that you'll be fine. :)
27 MCAT with 3.9c, 4.0s, >4,000 volunteer hours, Masters degree in the hard sciences . Hoping volunteer hours/gpa combo overcomes a weak mcat but we will see.

Last edited:
27 MCAT with 3.9c, 4.0s, >4,000 volunteer hours, Masters in the sciences . Hoping volunteer hours/gpa combo overcomes a weak mcat but we will see.

I think that you are really fine. MCAT is perfect despite what you say. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
do we have to upload the docs to the "UPLOAD FILES" section?? or can we just submit without them being uploaded??

do we have to upload the docs to the "UPLOAD FILES" section?? or can we just submit without them being uploaded??
Not sure of the "docs" your speaking of? The secondaries are to be submitted in the text boxes provided.

"You are only permitted to upload the following documents: criminal history, last name change, unofficial grades/transcripts, update letter or other." - MSU secondary

Not sure of the "docs" your speaking of? The secondaries are to be submitted in the text boxes provided.

"You are only permitted to upload the following documents: criminal history, last name change, unofficial grades/transcripts, update letter or other." - MSU secondary

Yes, those are what I'm referring to. Can we submit without all those (i.e. criminal history, unofficial transcripts) documents?

Yes, those are what I'm referring to. Can we submit without all those (i.e. criminal history, unofficial transcripts) documents?
Yes. The upload section should be completed if necessary i.e. you have a criminal history or have had a last name change. Unofficial transcripts and updates could/should be uploaded later in the cycle if you deem them necessary to strengthen your application.

For those who filled out a secondary, for the prompt about 3 characteristics about professionalism, how did you format your answer?
So far i did a little intro pragraph and then just straight up numbered 1,2,3 charcteristics and explained them with a few sentences. The 250 word limit came up quick. Thanks!

For those who filled out a secondary, for the prompt about 3 characteristics about professionalism, how did you format your answer?
So far i did a little intro pragraph and then just straight up numbered 1,2,3 charcteristics and explained them with a few sentences. The 250 word limit came up quick. Thanks!

I pretty much did this exactly.

Does anyone know if any more secondaries have been sent out since the first batch on Monday? I don't want to be a nervous nelly, but I'm wondering if I'll be getting mine soon or if I have to wait until after the holiday weekend...

still waiting as well.. i think it depends when your primary was submitted

still waiting as well.. i think it depends when your primary was submitted

Mine was sent on the first day they went out, 6/21, so I'm hoping that isn't the case. It's probably alphabetical by last name or something, I always get shafted for being at the end :p

Mine was sent on the first day they went out, 6/21, so I'm hoping that isn't the case. It's probably alphabetical by last name or something, I always get shafted for being at the end :p

Can't be alphabetical then because I'm toward the end. I can feel your pain. I was always one of the last ones to get to eat at school because of it, lol! :)

Maybe they are taking Asians or Asian-sounding names first? ;)

Now to see where that secondary is... Still happy though :)

It will come soon enough. You can start writing the essays have a photo ready to upload. That would save some time if you haven't done those things already. :luck:

It will come soon enough. You can start writing the essays have a photo ready to upload. That would save some time if you haven't done those things already. :luck:

Already started last night. just have to finish writing the paragraph section on my expose to OM. Glad folks posted the questions.:D

I have a strong feeling that MSU will want to all secondaries of completed to send out interviews especially since the due date is August 1, 2013.

I have a strong feeling that MSU will want to all secondaries of completed to send out interviews especially since the due date is August 1, 2013.

MSUCOM doesn't interview... I know, it's kind of strange, but they do their own thing.

They say they interview only those that are "on the fence" for acceptance. Usually non-trads changing careers.

For the third question about professionalism, it asks about characteristics as a medical student. Did you guys write about professionalism as an actual student, like in the classroom? Or did you talk about professionalism in your future career as a doctor? Anyone do both?

For the third question about professionalism, it asks about characteristics as a medical student. Did you guys write about professionalism as an actual student, like in the classroom? Or did you talk about professionalism in your future career as a doctor? Anyone do both?

I did both.

Medical student only. The question stated medical student so thats what I wrote.

I mainly did student but said that it extends to practicing physicians as well in more eloquent words than what I just said, lol. :p

Does anybody know how often they download the LOR from Virtual Evals?

Hey guys

Been trying to upload my picture for the secondary, but having difficulties.
After a successful upload, should the picture show up?
I don't see any changes