Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard MSU scores applicants based on a 60% ECs and 40% GPA/mcat formula. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

This seems to be a top school to apply to. What makes it so special to you all? Curriculum? Student environment? Something else?

:)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

SPARTY came to our endocrine lecture on acromegaly when I went to MSUCOM. And MSU gets into march madness every year. What else is there?

heard from multiple people that if an applicant can produce 15+ credit hours or (50%) of a Masters Degree then MSUCOM will only consider or at least very very strongly conisder the gradute level GPA of the undergraduate level GPA.

Anyone else hear that or something like that? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they change their required courses? I do not see Physics or Genetics listed in my released application as part of their requirement. Can anyone confirm this?

Did they change their required courses? I do not see Physics or Genetics listed in my released application as part of their requirement. Can anyone confirm this?
According to my aacomas app genetics (3 credits) is still required but physics is not required (not sure if they dropped physics or never required it in the first place).

Also, MSUCOM website indicates that a 3 credit genetics course is still required.
(http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Requirements_for_Admission.htm)

This year they are strongly encouraging 4-6 senior levels biology courses with 4 of them to be completed, ideally, prior to submitting your application.

Be sure to check out the prior thread from the last 3-4 years. Most of your questions will already be answered there + many tips on how to maximize chances of acceptance (EC hours, secondary, etc).

Good luck and finish your secondaries ASAP. It's a rolling cycle with a huge chunk of initial acceptances.

I saw the Essay prompt from last year. However, because thay changed the LOR situation (much better now) was wondering what the secondary looks like? prompts? packet? any insight???? THANKS!!!

I saw the Essay prompt from last year. However, because thay changed the LOR situation (much better now) was wondering what the secondary looks like? prompts? packet? any insight???? THANKS!!!

I applied last year and wasn't accepted. Last year's secondary they email you a link to a site with 13 Word documents. They wanted all of them to be printed, filled out and then submitted in duplicate by mail.

I really hope they made adjustments this year, it felt very disorganized and cluttered...

So you have to hand write it? or write the secondary on the computer and snail mail it back? confused. sorry. Thanks for the info!!

So you have to hand write it? or write the secondary on the computer and snail mail it back? confused. sorry. Thanks for the info!!

Sorry about the confusion. I typed my Essay and forms where possible using Word. Then printed and mailed.

Has anyone received and secondary yet? Or do they send them out at a specific time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are secondaries sent out for MSUCOM on a specific day? or just as they recieve primaries

Are secondaries sent out for MSUCOM on a specific day? or just as they recieve primaries
They are sent out as they receive primary apps after a certain date. In the past few years they released secondaries between the end of June and early July.

What are competitive stats for a canadian student to get in? and is there some kind of grade converter for canadian students to change there marks according to US standards?

What are competitive stats for a canadian student to get in? and is there some kind of grade converter for canadian students to change there marks according to US standards?

I would say a Canadian applicant needs a 3.7+ and 28+ to be considered "competitive". Obviously, if one has a 34+ MCAT (just spitting numbers), then they might weigh GPA less heavily, and vice-versa. However, it also depends on your EC's and other factors. I know of many Canadian who were accepted to this university last application cycle.

Regarding conversion to US (AACOMAS) GPA: You need to refer to your schools grading scale. Find out your marks, in terms of letter grades, and then convert them into GPA, where: A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0 (refer to AACOMAS handbook for the exact breakdown).

HEY :cool:

In regards to reference letters, on MSUCOM's website it says to make sure our AACOMAS ID # is included when we submit letters. I'm using Interfolio and I haven't seen where we are supposed to insert our AACOMAS ID #. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Also, can I send in my 2 letters before I receive my secondary application? Or do I have to wait?

In regards to reference letters, on MSUCOM's website it says to make sure our AACOMAS ID # is included when we submit letters. I'm using Interfolio and I haven't seen where we are supposed to insert our AACOMAS ID #. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Also, can I send in my 2 letters before I receive my secondary application? Or do I have to wait?

When you make a delivery in Interfolio, you will first add your letters, then at the bottom you can ad an ID number and put in your AACOMAS ID number.

I would wait to send in your LOR. Interfolio is rather quick so I wouldn't worry about a delay on their end.

I agree with Yehoshua24. Wait to submit your letters and secondaries from all schools until you receive a primary application verification email. Some schools, such as Albert Einstein, will throw your application in the trash if you submit a secondary before you receive a primary verification email! Yikes!

Just got a Secondary invite email. However the login isn't working. Called and they are going to be calling me back in a few. Looks like a new app this year. Hoping it's all electronic.

Last edited:
Just got a Secondary invite email. However the login isn't working. Called and they are going to be calling me back in a few. Looks like a new app this year. Hoping it's all electronic.
Awesome! Looking forward to receiving one!

^ just checked my email

happy I got a invite. Kind of down that they didn't screen this year :(

I'm happy to get a secondary even if they didn't screen this year. I'm feeling like a special snowflake today regardless. Can't wait to get started on it! :)

so here's the deal for the logon for the secondaries. You have to put your aacomas id with the year 2014 after it with no spaces or dashes.
Thank you Yehoshua24! You just saved me (as well as everyone) a headache.

Was today the first day people started getting secondary invites? Do you know if they're sending all invites out today, or will it take them a few days? I haven't gotten mine yet and now I'm a bit worried since MSUCOM is my #1 choice...

Last edited:
Was today the first day people started getting secondary invites? Do you know they're sending all invites out today, or will it take them a few days? I haven't gotten mine yet and now I'm a bit worried since MSUCOM is my #1 choice...

Today was the first day of secondaries that I know of. Don't worry yet. :)

Is anyone else having problems uploading a photo?

Was today the first day people started getting secondary invites? Do you know they're sending all invites out today, or will it take them a few days? I haven't gotten mine yet and now I'm a bit worried since MSUCOM is my #1 choice...

When I was on the phone with the lady in admissions she said this was their first batch of of secondaries. This leads me to believe that they will be doing more

Does batch order reflect how highly you are ranked? Do you know how they are sent out?

Does batch order reflect how highly you are ranked? Do you know how they are sent out?

I don't believe that they ranked them since I don't have an MCAT score yet. :)

When I was on the phone with the lady in admissions she said this was their first batch of of secondaries. This leads me to believe that they will be doing more

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Secondary as well, I have no MCAT, either. It might just be the order in which they arrived.

Last edited:
if i got a secondary does that mean they got my primary? it doesn't say it was released yet so not sure if all other schools received it as well or not.

I can't login...any tips?

Sent them an email

If it's okay to do so, could any of you guys post the essay prompts or items of the secondary in detail? I'm sure some folks would really appreciate it; I would for sure. I'm leaving to go abroad soon and would like to get my secondaries done before leaving. Thanks in advance!

If it's okay to do so, could any of you guys post the essay prompts or items of the secondary in detail? I'm sure some folks would really appreciate it; I would for sure. I'm leaving to go abroad soon and would like to get my secondaries done before leaving. Thanks in advance!

I assume it's fine... The email says "This is the first year all candidates applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine will receive a supplemental application."

Essays...

Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. (500)

What is your approach to leadership and how do you plan to utilize this approach throughout medical school? (250)

What do you believe, as a medical student, would be the three most important characteristics of professionalism? (250)

and a random section...

"Additional/Pending Activities"
Instructions:
You may use this page to provide bullet points of any additional information you feel will help us to get a complete picture of your life experience such as major achievements or explanations.
Examples: Fluency in more than one language; family and/or personal health or life crises; major life events like marriage, birth of a child, long distance move, career change. You may also use the page to note pending activities such as job changes, shadowing or volunteer experiences. (500)

Last edited:
I assume it's fine...

Essays...

Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. (500)

What is your approach to leadership and how do you plan to utilize this approach throughout medical school? (250)

What do you believe, as a medical student, would be the three most important characteristics of professionalism? (250)

and a random section...

"Additional/Pending Activities"
Instructions:
You may use this page to provide bullet points of any additional information you feel will help us to get a complete picture of your life experience such as major achievements or explanations.
Examples: Fluency in more than one language; family and/or personal health or life crises; major life events like marriage, birth of a child, long distance move, career change. You may also use the page to note pending activities such as job changes, shadowing or volunteer experiences. (500)
Silly question, but are those word counts or character counts? THANKS FOR POSTING!!

I followed you on last year's thread. I hope that we all get in. :)
Question for the reapplicants out there. As to my knowledge, last year MSUCOM strongly recommended 850 hrs or volunteer/extracircular/work experience combined (please correct me if I am wrong). Since we are only permitted to enter volunteer hours on the secondary this year, would this lead you to believe a drop in the number of recommended hours?

Question for the reapplicants out there. As to my knowledge, last year MSUCOM strongly recommended 850 hrs or volunteer/extracircular/work experience combined (please correct me if I am wrong). Since we are only permitted to enter volunteer hours on the secondary this year, would this lead you to believe a drop in the number of recommended hours?

I think the 800 hours was always just the volunteer portion. :eek: I know! ;)