MCW 2011 part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
plus I would have had to probably upgrade to a bigger vehicle to account for the extra snow -- yet another expense.

I'm sorry but... :laugh::laugh::laugh: We don't really get that much snow. People drive whatever they want. Now, granted a convertible or something really low like a camaro wouldn't be the best, but I drive a cavalier. It's not like everyone has an SUV or truck here. Plus the roads are cleared within like 1/2 a day from when it stops snowing.

I just wanted to point out that step 1 scores are extemely dependent on the individual student. You'll get the score you deserve for the work you put in no matter where you go to school. Like the others have said, go to the school where you'll be happiest.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry but... :laugh::laugh::laugh: We don't really get that much snow. People drive whatever they want. Now, granted a convertible or something really low like a camaro wouldn't be the best, but I drive a cavalier. It's not like everyone has an SUV or truck here. Plus the roads are cleared within like 1/2 a day from when it stops snowing.

I just wanted to point out that step 1 scores are extemely dependent on the individual student. You'll get the score you deserve for the work you put in no matter where you go to school. Like the others have said, go to the school where you'll be happiest.

I like my SUV in the winter.

If one does drive a camaro, hopefully it does not have a massive crack across the entire windshield. I think that camaro moved to Florida though.

I'm also extremely dependent on step 1 scores getting sent out. I'm tired of my nightmares. I just had one where Paris Hilton was asking me boards questions. Then she didn't believe I was from Hawaii because I'm not hot enough. I think the polar bear was nicer than she.

I'm also extremely dependent on step 1 scores getting sent out. I'm tired of my nightmares. I just had one where Paris Hilton was asking me boards questions. Then she didn't believe I was from Hawaii because I'm not hot enough. I think the polar bear was nicer than she.

That's hot.

Members don't see this ad :)
as someone who lived her whole life in chicago and now lives in milwaukee, i feel like i have something to say about making this decision if you are going to consider mke vs chi as a factor. yes, chicago is a really fun place to live, but honestly, it gets really old after a while. i was seriously counting down the days until i got to move.
in my last week of living there, the rain came down like a monsoon 2 days in a row, and the city just couldn't handle it. it took me 2 hours to get home from work which should be a 30 min drive, and several exits from lake shore drive were closed because the viaducts were flooded. the next day it took 1.5 hours to get home (one whole hour of that was spent trying to go approx 1 mile down irving park, because all the people at the cubs game went running as soon as it began to pour). so driving is extremely frustrating, stressful, and time consuming, and i found myself screaming in my car more often than i thought okay.
yeah, chicago has public transportation, but it really is a pain in the neck as well (not to mention extremely gross at times. i once witnessed a man go between 2 train cars and proceed to defecate while the train was moving... people could have been walking under there!!! one time a train car smelled so bad on my way to school, i had to get off the train and vomit). i lived less than 4 miles from downtown, and it would take at least an hour to get downtown on the el, often more, because of all the stupid cta construction. oh, and after the fireworks downtown at 4th of july, in a thunderstorm, the entire cta elevated shut down. leaving at least 5000 people stranded in train cars, packed like sardines, without a/c, in the dark, in the storm, for almost 2 hrs. i could go on and on about everything i hate about chicago, but i'll stop now. personally i don't think i could handle another 4 years of stressful trying to get somewhere, especially during med school. oh i would just like to add that chicago/illinois will nickel and dime you every chance they get-- 9% sales tax, only 5.6 in mke. and i was soooooo surprised they don't tax food! and if you have a car that you transfer to illinois, they will make you pay them tax on the ENTIRE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE CAR. plus a 6.5 percent use tax.
i kind of feel like mke is a smaller, less crowded, less crazy chicago. i am so happy here and i feel like i may never go back. so unless you feel like you need to go to louis vuitton or chanel every weekend or something, there isn't really much chicago has over mke, when you compare the 2 cities. and i hear mke is a lot funner than chicago from so many people!

i don't have anything to say about the schools, i just wanted to give somewhat of a perspective of what live in the windy city might be like. i am so glad i'm out.

sorry... i forgot to say this:

so if you decide on chicago, one tip: however long you think it's gonna take to get somewhere, double it. at least!!! good luck in your decision!!

sorry i haven't been around guyz!!! I can't believe all the people that are getting off of waitlists!!!!

it looks like i have to decide between MCW and northwestern now!!! we're all finding out about this stuff at such the last minute! :eek: i guess i have to decide if i'm a chicago kind of girl or a millwaukee kind of girl, lol!!
Nice. I never got off their waitlist, but I wanted to go there. It's definitely more expensive to live down there though.

I believe I had my first M1 sighting a few days ago. Super tan (perhaps tangerine) girl in a polo shirt and *really* short shorts, with her parents following her around, looking lost on their way towards the administration offices.

Too cute! And I forgive questionable fashion choices... but only once.

I've finally reached a decision. MCW is my winner. Figured out that happiness and satisfaction is worth the monetary expense. During my interview visit, I realized that MCW students are alarmingly nice!! I say this cause I've been to MANY interviews and have seen and talked to many medical students. Why MCW has such a friendly student body is still a mystery to me! Maybe the school is good at finding and recruiting amiable folks. Or maybe it's the case that the school itself makes you guys happy. Whatever the reason, I'm glad to be part of this community.

I've finally reached a decision. MCW is my winner. Figured out that happiness and satisfaction is worth the monetary expense. During my interview visit, I realized that MCW students are alarmingly nice!! I say this cause I've been to MANY interviews and have seen and talked to many medical students. Why MCW has such a friendly student body is still a mystery to me! Maybe the school is good at finding and recruiting amiable folks. Or maybe it's the case that the school itself makes you guys happy. Whatever the reason, I'm glad to be part of this community.

Good Job

I believe I had my first M1 sighting a few days ago. Super tan (perhaps tangerine) girl in a polo shirt and *really* short shorts, with her parents following her around, looking lost on their way towards the administration offices.

Too cute! And I forgive questionable fashion choices... but only once.

That was probably me.

Members don't see this ad :)

i thought about it for awhile and i think i'm gonna come to mcw also!!!! i'm really nervous so i hope i made the right decision!!!!:scared: but northwestern just didn't seem to have as many super nice people as mcw, so i get to see all you guys soon!!!!!:love:

i thought about it for awhile and i think i'm gonna come to mcw also!!!! i'm really nervous so i hope i made the right decision!!!!:scared: but northwestern just didn't seem to have as many super nice people as mcw, so i get to see all you guys soon!!!!!:love:
See you in a month!

hey. i just bought a 2 br 2 bath (yes, u would have ur own full bathroom) upper level condo 9 minutes away from mcw (13 min. by streets) and i need a roommate. the address is 8118 W. Oklahoma Ave., West Allis, WI 53219. the neighborhood is nice and safe. it would be $400 per month + 1/2 of the electric (heat and water are included). i would be willing to split cable/internet/both. if u want parking in the lot, that's around $14 or so a month. otherwise, street (free) parking is available. there's an outdoor heated pool and laundry facilities are in the basement. i'm putting in wood floors and remodeling the kitchen in a few weeks. by then, it will be fully furnished with living room and kitchen stuff so u wouldn't have to worry about that. only thing is that no pets are allowed according the condo rules.

i'm clean (not a neat freak though), i like to cook/bake, i'm pretty quiet/don't go out in the middle of the week, and i'm pretty laid-back.

just send me a message if u have any questions/want pictures. thanks!

Hello sir/ma,
is there anything i need to install on my PC before school starts?

does anyone know if we should apply now for a gradplus loan if we know we'll need one, or are we supposed to wait? thanks!

does anyone know if we should apply now for a gradplus loan if we know we'll need one, or are we supposed to wait? thanks!

Just wait, the loan counselors will help you with that stuff.

Just wait, the loan counselors will help you with that stuff.

thank you!

Another question--- do most out of state students transfer their driver's license to WI?

thank you!

Another question--- do most out of state students transfer their driver's license to WI?

Nope. You're a student, so you don't need to change state residency. However, if your lisence expires, and you're not able to renew it in your home state, you'll have to get a WI one. If you want to keep your home state one when that happens, I heard you have to say you lost it (that's coming from other people who wished they got to keep theirs). Mine's good til after grad. :D

I know this question has probably been asked somewhere on this forum, but I was wondering about textbooks. Is it right that most people buy hardly any of the books? Also for the ones people usually do buy, which ones are they and do you think it would be beneficial to order those online now to get a better price, like through amazon or something like that? Thanks

I know this question has probably been asked somewhere on this forum, but I was wondering about textbooks. Is it right that most people buy hardly any of the books? Also for the ones people usually do buy, which ones are they and do you think it would be beneficial to order those online now to get a better price, like through amazon or something like that? Thanks

Well, first of all, the textbooks are on reserve in the library, so you can make do until any you do order online come in. I recommend abebooks.com as well as Amazon.

I would say do NOT GET books for:

MIM
Devo
the dissection manual for Anatomy

MAYBE get (but I wouldn't):
Biochem
Moore's Textbook of Clinical Anatomy (I checked out the older edition from the library and just kept renewing it, but you can also do fine using reserves)

Definitely get:
Netter's atlas for anatomy (but wait and see if your big sib gives you theirs).

You can also get the Netter's Atlas for free if you buy a 3-year AMSA membership at orientation for slightly less than the normal price for the atlas. You also have to apply for the AMSA Visa card.

Can anybody recommend a good PCP in the area? I need to choose one, but I am not from WI so I do not know who is good. Thanks!

Can anybody recommend a good PCP in the area? I need to choose one, but I am not from WI so I do not know who is good. Thanks!

A lot of students (including myself) have Sandra Greene as their PCP. She's technically not accepting patients, so we see the NP. The NPs are really nice, and basically let you do what you want. Like if there are meds you want, and you have valid reasons etc, they'll prescribe them.

I've heard there's not supposed to be a $10 copay, but I've always paid it.

Nope. You're a student, so you don't need to change state residency. However, if your lisence expires, and you're not able to renew it in your home state, you'll have to get a WI one. If you want to keep your home state one when that happens, I heard you have to say you lost it (that's coming from other people who wished they got to keep theirs). Mine's good til after grad. :D

I know if you're from MN you definately get to keep it while in school since you aren't a resident of WI. While I was in school in IL my driver's license expired and I just renewed it early and got a new card (mine expires in the month of oct). I think my current card expires in 2008 so that will be fun.

I know if you're from MN you definately get to keep it while in school since you aren't a resident of WI. While I was in school in IL my driver's license expired and I just renewed it early and got a new card (mine expires in the month of oct). I think my current card expires in 2008 so that will be fun.

It's true for any state. I'm a HI resident. I've got friends here with different driver's lisences for whichever state in they're a resident (unless theirs expired and they got one in WI -- that happened to some people who graduated in May that I knew).

I was looking at our schedule and for some of the classes in the afternoon like the patient care classes... do those really take 4 hours? Which classes have you found helpful to attend? Does everyone attend anatomy or does half the group dissect and then they other half come back later? How much do you study given we are supposed to be in class so much? And... how detailed are the notes we are given? Oh last one... are lectures podcasted?

1. I was looking at our schedule and for some of the classes in the afternoon like the patient care classes... do those really take 4 hours?

2. Which classes have you found helpful to attend?

3. Does everyone attend anatomy or does half the group dissect and then they other half come back later?

4. How much do you study given we are supposed to be in class so much?

5. And... how detailed are the notes we are given?

6. Oh last one... are lectures podcasted?

7. What should I be doing right now?

For convenience of everyone involved, I reformatted your incredibly hard-to-read, fully-automatic-weapon-style of questioning. For more timely responses in the future, please submit rapid-fire questions in the format above, or some reasonable facsimile. I also added the last question for you, which you forgot to write in.

1. Not really sure what "intro to patient care" is, but it's probably the PBL and medical interviewing and/or Medical Information Management sessions. If you notice it's divided into a 1-3 group and a 3-5 group. So you'll only be in about 2 hours (and often less) of that big ol' block. Provided it IS actually the PBL/interviewing and MIM sessions. Don't worry about it.

2. Attend all classes until you know for sure which ones you have a better study method for. Don't worry about it.

3. Every attends anatomy lab at the same time. 5 people to one body, and it works out well. However, you can work something out with your group if you prefer other arrangments, but the scheduled times are the only times faculty (in abundance) will be present to help. I recommend dissecting or at least showing up at these times. Don't worry about it.

4. Given you are in class so much, you will study as much as you personally determine you need to to understand the material. Don't worry about it.

5. The notes provided are often quite detailed but vary from lecture to lecture. Some (Kolesari) are just a fairly blank outline while others (Bolender's Devo) have almost everything and more. Don't worry about it.

6. No. They are put onto the school's information system (ANGEL, which you can access from home or school) as mp3s. Don't worry about it.

7. Relaxing for what precious little summer you have left. You'll figure many of these things out as you go, and it doesn't pay to start the habit of fretting about every detail now, because it will making you absof-inglutely crazy for the next 4 years. Many are very personal choices in terms of how you approach a class and learn to study. Just because someone else sits in the library for 5 hours after class or sequesters themselves in a nerd room 40 hours a week doesn't mean that will work for you. In time you will learn what suits you best. Sometimes you'll nail it right away, sometimes you'll need to adjust how you study. The important thing is to keep up. Don't worry about it. Just show up ready to work hard but without losing your soul.

Hello sir/ma,

if you don't know the answer to that one you should probably just quit now.

Ok, I'm ready to be shown the door, but besides arsenewenger's point, do we even need a computer/laptop for medical school? :oops:

For convenience of everyone involved, I reformatted your incredibly hard-to-read, fully-automatic-weapon-style of questioning. For more timely responses in the future, please submit rapid-fire questions in the format above, or some reasonable facsimile. I also added the last question for you, which you forgot to write in.

1. Not really sure what "intro to patient care" is, but it's probably the PBL and medical interviewing and/or Medical Information Management sessions. If you notice it's divided into a 1-3 group and a 3-5 group. So you'll only be in about 2 hours (and often less) of that big ol' block. Provided it IS actually the PBL/interviewing and MIM sessions. Don't worry about it.

2. Attend all classes until you know for sure which ones you have a better study method for. Don't worry about it.

3. Every attends anatomy lab at the same time. 5 people to one body, and it works out well. However, you can work something out with your group if you prefer other arrangments, but the scheduled times are the only times faculty (in abundance) will be present to help. I recommend dissecting or at least showing up at these times. Don't worry about it.

4. Given you are in class so much, you will study as much as you personally determine you need to to understand the material. Don't worry about it.

5. The notes provided are often quite detailed but vary from lecture to lecture. Some (Kolesari) are just a fairly blank outline while others (Bolender's Devo) have almost everything and more. Don't worry about it.

6. No. They are put onto the school's information system (ANGEL, which you can access from home or school) as mp3s. Don't worry about it.

7. Relaxing for what precious little summer you have left. You'll figure many of these things out as you go, and it doesn't pay to start the habit of fretting about every detail now, because it will making you absof-inglutely crazy for the next 4 years. Many are very personal choices in terms of how you approach a class and learn to study. Just because someone else sits in the library for 5 hours after class or sequesters themselves in a nerd room 40 hours a week doesn't mean that will work for you. In time you will learn what suits you best. Sometimes you'll nail it right away, sometimes you'll need to adjust how you study. The important thing is to keep up. Don't worry about it. Just show up ready to work hard but without losing your soul.

MUCH easier to read. Me likey.

I'll add a few things. You really have more time than it seems to study. Looking back at M1 year, even after I figured out my study style and stuck with it for M2, I had a lot more free time than M2 year with all their stupid small groups.

Oh, and some people may actually move into a nerd room -- that doesn't mean you have to. There should be time limits because it starts smelling like expired food after someone's lived in it for >1/2 day without leaving at all.

I wonder how I even survived starting M1 year without SDN and being able to ask questions. In addition to answering questions, we also like getting a thanks once in a while. I guess now I'm just being catty since I woke up at 5 for my psych rotation, but I get to go see someone be given a seizure.

Ok, I'm ready to be shown the door, but besides arsenewenger's point, do we even need a computer/laptop for medical school? :oops:

Not unless you want to go on SDN at home. You don't NEED one. Just like college (at least for me) they aren't vital to learn. There's a computer lab on campus.

I just happen to be a computer addict and check my email/sdn/im's constantly.

Hello sir/ma,

Definitely a big help if you are one of those folks who plans to home-school yourself at all, as you will need access to the lecture mp3s and powerpoints placed on the school's Angel website. If you don't plan to avail yourself of those resources though, the school has more than enough computers around in the library and computer labs to get you through.

For those too poverty-stricken to buy a computer right now--there is a little known govt. program that allows you to add the cost of a computer (up to 1200 or 1400 dollars I think) to your student loans one time during your college/postgrad career. Talk to the loan counselors about it if you would like to pick up a computer that way.

I wonder how I even survived starting M1 year without SDN and being able to ask questions. In addition to answering questions, we also like getting a thanks once in a while. I guess now I'm just being catty since I woke up at 5 for my psych rotation, but I get to go see someone be given a seizure.

That is catty. ;)

Don't take offense, incoming M1s--those of us now in the hospitals are all just sleep deprived until we can readjust our sleep schedules to waking up at 4:30-5:00 am everyday and are a bit cranky now that our Step 1 scores have been released to the school but we have to wait another 3 or 4 days (on top of the 6 weeks most of us have already waited) to find out which specialties we can even consider.

That is catty. ;)

Don't take offense, incoming M1s--those of us now in the hospitals are all just sleep deprived until we can readjust our sleep schedules to waking up at 4:30-5:00 am everyday and are a bit cranky now that our Step 1 scores have been released to the school but we have to wait another 3 or 4 days (on top of the 6 weeks most of us have already waited) to find out which specialties we can even consider.

I saw Lesley Mack yesterday and she was asking someone where they heard the rumor that you got paged if you failed because they haven't told people in 15 years if they failed or not. She wasn't happy.

I bet I failed. Stupid nightmares. Now I'm dreaming of flatout failing. I've moved beyond animals/stupid people asking me questions.

Oh, and generally, I'm a very nice person.

I saw Lesley Mack yesterday and she was asking someone where they heard the rumor that you got paged if you failed because they haven't told people in 15 years if they failed or not. She wasn't happy.

I bet I failed. Stupid nightmares. Now I'm dreaming of flatout failing. I've moved beyond animals/stupid people asking me questions.

Oh, and generally, I'm a very nice person.

Maybe they could just help cut down on MCW High's rumor mill and just release the scores to us already. Then maybe the administration could rest easy (not to mention the 200 students they are keeping hanging for another 4 days).

Also: you did not fail, and you are indeed a nice person.

Wow... people got all sassified while I was watching "So You Think You Can Dance."

I don't have anything to add, just thought I'd drop by and remind everyone to breathe. :)

If you want to listen to lectures on your iPod or other portable mp3 player, you may wish to consider downloading Audacity or another audio editing program so you can speed up the lectures before you load them up. Some people sound an awful lot better at double speed.

If you're just listening on computer, Windows Media player will speed it up for you as you play it.

If you want to listen to lectures on your iPod or other portable mp3 player, you may wish to consider downloading Audacity or another audio editing program so you can speed up the lectures before you load them up. Some people sound an awful lot better at double speed.

If you're just listening on computer, Windows Media player will speed it up for you as you play it.

That drives me nuts. If anything, I want to slow most lecturers down when I listen to them online, just to make sure I get everything (one reason I don't like missing class. I figure if I missed it in class, I'm not going to go back and relisten).

That's just my slight Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (I meet >minimum criteria in mild forms). Self-diagnosed while studying. hehe

That drives me nuts. If anything, I want to slow most lecturers down when I listen to them online, just to make sure I get everything (one reason I don't like missing class. I figure if I missed it in class, I'm not going to go back and relisten).

That's just my slight Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (I meet >minimum criteria in mild forms). Self-diagnosed while studying. hehe

I'm trying to imagine listening to a certain Devo professor at normal speed without jumping out the window.

Nope.

I did play one of his lectures on a car trip once and only sped it up to 1.5, since I was in a car and would be distracted. People traveling with me COULD NOT BELIEVE this was the sped up recording.

Hi everyone,

I am in Wisconsin right now looking for a place to live. How important is it to have indoor parking? I found two places that I like....one is better but does not have a garage, the other is good and has heated underground parking (but I don't like the apartment itself quite as much).

I am from CA and have never lived in snow...people who are showing the apartments keep scaring me about winter.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am in Wisconsin right now looking for a place to live. How important is it to have indoor parking? I found two places that I like....one is better but does not have a garage, the other is good and has heated underground parking (but I don't like the apartment itself quite as much).

I am from CA and have never lived in snow...people who are showing the apartments keep scaring me about winter.

Thanks

If you do not have covered parking you will sometimes (maybe 10 times/year) have to brush a bunch of snow off your car and maybe do a small amount of shoveling to get your car out of the driveway. I live in a duplex with driveway parking for 4 and it gets a little hairy because we also have to shovel the driveway and the 2 guys in the upstairs unit have a higher shoveling threshhold than the two of us gals in the lower unit. I never flunked an exam because of shoveling and it's good exercise, so it's not a terrible thing for me.

If you can adopt an adventurous attitude about the snow and get a nice shovel, a long-handled snowbrush and some good mittens, it will be fine. If you're pretty freaked about it, look further for an apartment you like with covered parking. If you don't have to shovel, honestly you can adapt to clearing off your car. The ideal way is to get up, start your car, have some coffee while the engine warms up, come back out and turn on the defrosters, go back in and get dressed, then clear off your car. I just get out there with the snowbrush and have at it, because that's just how I am.

My landlord's brother has two vacancies but I know don't know if he's got covered parking.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

I like having a garage b/c then I don't have to wait for my window to defrost in the morning. That's the big thing. Snow moves from windshields, ice does not. When you take ice off with the scraper, the window then proceeds to fog up. That saves car warming up time. The one time I did leave my car outside, it cost me 5-10min in the morning.

I don't like living in snow.

For those too poverty-stricken to buy a computer right now--there is a little known govt. program that allows you to add the cost of a computer (up to 1200 or 1400 dollars I think) to your student loans one time during your college/postgrad career. Talk to the loan counselors about it if you would like to pick up a computer that way.
Unless you're a monster gamer, DON'T spend more than $700 on a computer. It can buy quite a beast these days, and it's very unlikely you'll really need anything more powerful than that.

Just because someone else sits in the library for 5 hours after class or sequesters themselves in a nerd room 40 hours a week doesn't mean that will work for you. In time you will learn what suits you best.
TRUTH!!! People would look at me in stunned horror when I said that I not only skipped lectures, I didn't bother listening to the recordings either. That scared me a few times, but then I got over it. I honestly believe that all the information you need to honor every class (except anatomy) is in the notes, especially devo, biochem, neuro and CTB (histo). Sometimes the Co-ops are nice for filling in some details though, so I'd use them if I wasn't familiar with the lecturer.

And Ashers is just filling your head with nonsense. :p it's not that hard to quick sweep off the snow from your car on one of the 6-8 times it snows enough to merit actually removing the snow. Ice does need a scraper though, so buy a scraper/brush like this:

c0017477_14442877.jpg

Med school lesson 1 regarding attendance:
1 required = there might be a consequence if you don't go
2 encouraged= only if there is free food.
3 optional= no

Status
Not open for further replies.