IUPUI vs Indiana University Bloomington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfpint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the way things stand I am probably going to be staying in-state(Indiana) due to financial reasons unless i get accepted to princeton, which is doubtful to say the least.

At IUPUI I have a scholarship which pays for 4 years of tuition, books, fees, 2 years of housing, 2500 for study abroad, and 5000 a year if i end up going to Indiana university medical school. I still have to hear if I am in their BS/MD program but i think i have a good shot of getting into it. Their school of science gave me direct admittance. I'm also in their honors college and have spoken with professors who told me that I would definitely have the opportunity to get involved in undergraduate research. There are also plenty of hospitals in the area for volunteering and shadowing opportunities.

Indiana University in Bloomington is also giving 13000 per year. I have been admitted into their honors college and directly admitted to the college of arts and sciences.

I am leaning towards IUPUI at the moment but the only thing I'm worried about is that since it isn't a flagship state university that it may be looked down upon by medical schools but thats just a feeling i have.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It is indeed an interesting conundrum. IUPUI is the school that is the most directly linked with the med school. That being said, the undergraduate program is significantly lower ranked and not nearly as good as Bloomingtons. So what should you do. Well, if you get BS/MD at IUPUI take it in a heartbeat. The med school in indy is fantastic and having the acceptance locked in is priceless. Plus, it is the school that most Bloomington students shoot for anyways. However, if you do not get BS/MD I would go to Bloomington. I think 13K will cover full tuition and partial housing there. Bloomington is such a better school in so many respects. In my opinion, take with a grain of salt, Bloomington will give you a slight advantage over IUPUI students when applying to IU medical school and a huge advantage when applying out of state. Realistically, IUPUI is largely a commuter school with extremely low admissions standards. Its proximity to the med school is wonderful, but I don't think it makes up for the academic discrepancy.... Other advice... I am sure you are intelligent, but unless you are a true genius, be wary of fulfilling your general honors notation (which is what the honors college is for) with honors science classes. I would recommend you take the nonhonors sciences. Just saying, the only people I know who make As in S117, S341 etc are the Wells scholars, and I am under the impression that you are not one(Bloomington Wells Scholars get the same package that you got offered at IUPUI, except at Bloomington). Research here is great, try and get involved early. Utilize the grade distribution database to find the best professors for nonscience classes. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

It is indeed an interesting conundrum. IUPUI is the school that is the most directly linked with the med school. That being said, the undergraduate program is significantly lower ranked and not nearly as good as Bloomingtons. So what should you do. Well, if you get BS/MD at IUPUI take it in a heartbeat. The med school in indy is fantastic and having the acceptance locked in is priceless. Plus, it is the school that most Bloomington students shoot for anyways. However, if you do not get BS/MD I would go to Bloomington. I think 13K will cover full tuition and partial housing there. Bloomington is such a better school in so many respects. In my opinion, take with a grain of salt, Bloomington will give you a slight advantage over IUPUI students when applying to IU medical school and a huge advantage when applying out of state. Realistically, IUPUI is largely a commuter school with extremely low admissions standards. Its proximity to the med school is wonderful, but I don't think it makes up for the academic discrepancy.... Other advice... I am sure you are intelligent, but unless you are a true genius, be wary of fulfilling your general honors notation (which is what the honors college is for) with honors science classes. I would recommend you take the nonhonors sciences. Just saying, the only people I know who make As in S117, S341 etc are the Wells scholars, and I am under the impression that you are not one(Bloomington Wells Scholars get the same package that you got offered at IUPUI, except at Bloomington). Research here is great, try and get involved early. Utilize the grade distribution database to find the best professors for nonscience classes. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

+1 Here's my two cents. As a Purdue alumnus, I am inclined to tell you the one that is affiliated with Purdue. However, IU Bloomington is just a better school. Both academically and socially, I think you'll be way happier there. There's just more opportunities in Bloomington (academically and socially. haha. )

If you do get into the BS/MD program, take that and run. Seriously, it will save you a bunch of stress down the road!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The thing I'm worried about if I go to IU is if I will get research opportunities early on. I don't think i got into the IU STARS program so I'm not sure how easily and how soon I could get involved in research there.

Speaking as a pre-medical student at IUPUI, and having friends at IU, I would still pick IUPUI in a heartbeat. IU does indeed have a better reputation, but it is also much easier to get lost in the crowd there. Here at IUPUI, as you mentioned, there are so many opportunities for pre-meds. I volunteer weekly at Riley Hospital, toured the medical school a few weeks ago, got offered a research position last week, and have 3 interviews coming up for internships at the Medical School. And I am only a freshman. I love it here. Yeah the social aspect kind of sucks, but I can say I have made and amazing group of friends and we manage to make our own fun. Not to mention, the housing is much better then IU's dorms. :) I would also like to say that being in the honors college, you get a lot of special treatment, especially since there are so few of us.

Speaking as a pre-medical student at IUPUI, and having friends at IU, I would still pick IUPUI in a heartbeat. IU does indeed have a better reputation, but it is also much easier to get lost in the crowd there. Here at IUPUI, as you mentioned, there are so many opportunities for pre-meds. I volunteer weekly at Riley Hospital, toured the medical school a few weeks ago, got offered a research position last week, and have 3 interviews coming up for internships at the Medical School. And I am only a freshman. I love it here. Yeah the social aspect kind of sucks, but I can say I have made and amazing group of friends and we manage to make our own fun. Not to mention, the housing is much better then IU's dorms. :) I would also like to say that being in the honors college, you get a lot of special treatment, especially since there are so few of us.

Would you say that most of the honors college students who apply to medical school get in?

I can't say that I know a bunch of upperclassman at this point, but the ones I do know got in.

No problem. If you have any other questions about IUPUI let me know.

I would strongly advise you to attend IUPUI. IUB is NOT a better school academically and that is what matters. Bloomington is a party school and you will not have as many oppportunities as you would at IUPUI. I don't care what the "rankings" say. I speak from personal experience as an IUPUI graduate and future medical student.

I would strongly advise you to attend IUPUI. IUB is NOT a better school academically and that is what matters. Bloomington is a party school and you will not have as many oppportunities as you would at IUPUI. I don't care what the "rankings" say. I speak from personal experience as an IUPUI graduate and future medical student.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to IUPUI because of the opportunities (and the bepko scholarship i got) unless i get something really good at one of the selective schools I applied. I talked this over with one of the doctors who has been mentoring me and he thinks IUPUI is overall the better option for me and I am inclined to agree. Just out of curiosity what did you major in?

I have pretty much decided that I am going to IUPUI because of the opportunities (and the bepko scholarship i got) unless i get something really good at one of the selective schools I applied. I talked this over with one of the doctors who has been mentoring me and he thinks IUPUI is overall the better option for me and I am inclined to agree. Just out of curiosity what did you major in?

I graduate this may and begin medical school in August at IU. My major is Biology and minor is Chemistry. I think you will find that the opportunities for undergraduate research are great here at IUPUI. The faculty are outstanding! The opportunities to volunteer at renowned hospitals within walking distance is nice and you can do some shadowing also. Good luck in your studies.

If you end up attending IUPUI, here are a few 'resume boosters' and opportunities I found throughout my undergrad track:

- IUPUI Top 100 Outstanding Students Award - a professor needs to recommend you, only Jr/Sr are eligible.

- IUPUI Center for Research and Learning [CRL] - many scholarship opportunities, they help assemble an online portfolio, and you can apply for a transcript notation for "demonstrated proficiency in undergraduate research"; they hold poster sessions and recognition dinners for researchers. Very active, but VERY disorganized!

- Honors College, General Honors Notation - an honors notation; you can apply for honors independent research (HON H399 / HON H499) to count towards this track if you conduct research through the CRL, they also have several clubs / community service opportunities.

- IUPUI R.I.S.E. Challenge - It's a new program they're offering; too new, in fact. I'm not sure what the recognition/notation is, but if you enroll in specific courses focused on (R)esearch, (I)nternational studies, (S)ervice or (E)xperiential learning, (2 of the 4 avenues) you complete the RISE challenge. There is a grant awarded for those participating in the challenge - other than that, I suppose it's a resume booster.

- Chemistry department, Outstanding Analytical Chemistry Student (and other, seemingly random recognition opportunities) - I'm just a chem minor, but I noticed the chem department is pretty good at highlighting their quality students.

- IUPUI StudentLink - All student organizations go through the StudentLink server (google it, I always have to). This is a great medium to find any clubs you'd like you take part in early on. Since it's a commuter college, you stand an incredible chance of picking up an officer position with a good club and carrying it through your entire undergraduate track.

- Riley, IUSM, Methodist, Clarian, St Vincent, VAMC (etc.) - If you don't log at least one million hours of observation, you're crazy! I was pre-pt before I switched to pre-med, and the VAMC had me running through rehab procedures with patients under minimal observation (stable patients / low-risk exercises, of course). I will be conducting my senior thesis with staff at IUSM. I'll also take this time to note IUPUI holds some form of affiliation with the NIFS fitness center, has its own Motor Activity Clinic for children with disabilities, and frequently works with Damar, a residential facility for populations with cognitive impairments. There are representatives of the university eager to reach out to the local school system, IPS. I'm actually scheduled to teach an 8th grade engineering lesson block on nanotechnology next semester!

- Faculty members who just want to see students give a damn, quite frankly - While completing my chem minor, I decided to enroll in an undergrad research position my analytical chem professor had offered to the class. Since then, I've become proficient on the UV-Vis spectroscopy system, Small Angle Xray Scattering system, TEM/SEM analysis, and will be introduced to several other chemistry-/physics- based analytical systems this summer.

Other than that, the Orgo 1 final is an ACS national exam (it's much easier than the in-class exams), the Gen Chem 2 final is also an ACS exam (but is much harder than the in-class exams). The campus is always expanding, in fact they're getting a whole new building to add on to the chemistry department here in the near future. If you aren't biking to campus, always register for an 8am class or show up an hour early for class, wait in handicap parking, and creepily pace someone through the parking lot to their car - your call.

Good luck, and welcome to IUPUI!

Status
Not open for further replies.