Illinois C/O 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still have an interview to go so I don't have my life figured out, but I love planning and house-hunting and couldn't resist. If UIUC is my place, I'd be interested in a 3 or 4 BDR at the Village at Colbert Park. Although I'll definitely be looking into that comment above ^. wanted to put that out there in case anyone wants to consider it. Village at Colbert Park - Savoy, IL | Apartment Finder
Current students/alums, do you know if they waive the 2 pet limit for vet students in units with more than 2 people? @travelingdogtor25

Members don't see this ad.

still have an interview to go so I don't have my life figured out, but I love planning and house-hunting and couldn't resist. If UIUC is my place, I'd be interested in a 3 or 4 BDR at the Village at Colbert Park. Although I'll definitely be looking into that comment above ^. wanted to put that out there in case anyone wants to consider it. Village at Colbert Park - Savoy, IL | Apartment Finder
Current students/alums, do you know if they waive the 2 pet limit for vet students in units with more than 2 people? @travelingdogtor25
I lived alone with 3 pets and honestly just didn't say anything about my 3rd cat lol. I don't believe they do, but quite a few of us have ESA registered animals, so I believe they do if your pet is registered. My current landlord waived my pet limit for being a vet student. I rent through neves property management if anyone is interested. They have houses/townhouses/apartments for fairly cheap. I live about a mile from campus in a 3 bed/1 bath house with a fenced in yard that's much cheaper than what I paid at the village (like $400 cheaper including utilities). I will say though the village has very nice apartments/townhouses. I loved my townhouse itself, I just got stuck in a bad building.Quite a few of my classmates live there with other 1st years and haven't had many issues. It really just depends on which building you end up in. Do be aware that move in will be a hassle though. My class had a ton of issues with them letting us move in before orientation! If anyone wants more details feel free to message me!

Dave chang is also a great landlord here too that only rents to vet students. He waives any pet fees/limits as well. I have his contact info for anyone interested! Our class rep should be setting up a facebook page here soon. I'll post more info on housing in there once they get it set up! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh and in addition to places to generally avoid, @battie had a very bad experience at The Place in savoy and does not recommend it at all. She was closer to the pool and there were loud parties all the time.
@SportPonies lived at the village the entire time she was here so I assume it was fine 😂

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The village was fine. :) I lived in a 3 bed 3 bath with two other vet students (different people each year). No real complaints. Fast maintenance (same day or next day). Right by the park if you’re into walks.

It never felt like “home” but it was clean and safe and comfortable and generally quiet and that was all I needed.

I’ve said things in detail about the village in previous illinois threads if you wanted more deets. Or you can dig through my posts but you’d have to wade through several thousand WW nonsense posts first 😉

• Haha
I just got an interview!! Any helpful tips?

Lol after being denied a few months ago they have now reached out for an interview. Luckily I was accepted to my instate so I’ll be denying it but hopefully they can fill their class

Reactions: 1 users
Do they usually send interview invites a second time like this? Like have they done this in other years?

Not to our knowledge (@SkiOtter @battie)

We have no further information on why they’re doing a second round but it’s not typical
Nope not aware of them doing it ever either. I just know they sent out to the people who helped interview that there was an “unprecedented situation involving the number of applicants interviewed.” My guess is a lot of people cancelled interviews and they didn’t have as many interviews as they had anticipated to choose a class from. They’re interviewing about 50 more people on the 21st. So I’m guessing that some of the people who are on the waitlist will end up getting off after that new interview day too (possibly even before the acceptance deadline) once they figure out what their entire pool of applicants is like after interviews.

Nope not aware of them doing it ever either. I just know they sent out to the people who helped interview that there was an “unprecedented situation involving the number of applicants interviewed.” My guess is a lot of people cancelled interviews and they didn’t have as many interviews as they had anticipated to choose a class from. They’re interviewing about 50 more people on the 21st.
Do you know about how many seats are left for the 50 additional interviews? If you don’t know that’s okay, I’m just curious. I Just was not expecting it at all!

I just got an interview!! Any helpful tips?
Also, like someone else said all we know is your name. We have not seen your app at all. Just be yourself and answer the questions how you think they should be answered and don’t answer how you THINK the interview team wants you to answer. It’s not about right or wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know about how many seats are left for the 50 additional interviews? If you don’t know that’s okay, I’m just curious. I Just was not expecting it at all!
I don’t unfortunately! I’d expect they still have a good number of seats to distribute between the new interviewees and the current waitlist applicants.

Hi everyone I will be declining my seat! I got into my #1, I hope you all the very best and good luck to those on the waitlist and that have interviews!

Anyone know good or bad areas to look to live?
I hated living at the Place. Don't recommend.
Do they usually send interview invites a second time like this? Like have they done this in other years?
They have not done this at all in the last 6-7 years. Prior to that, I don't know.

I don’t unfortunately! I’d expect they still have a good number of seats to distribute between the new interviewees and the current waitlist applicants.
I wonder if they’re also working out the kinks with the 20 additional seats they offered this year. Maybe the numbers they estimated didn’t turn out quite right.

I’m a little confused, and I guess others might not know. I was offered an alternate position but how does that work with new interviewees? Will others be offered admission while I remain on the alternate list?

I’m a little confused, and I guess others might not know. I was offered an alternate position but how does that work with new interviewees? Will others be offered admission while I remain on the alternate list?
I don’t think anyone knows for sure. I can see it going one of two ways:

1) their alternate list is shorter than they expected and they think they’ll exhaust it early, so new interviews will make a second alternate list
2) their pool in general is smaller than expected and everyone will be going into the same alternate list.

I wonder if they’re also working out the kinks with the 20 additional seats they offered this year. Maybe the numbers they estimated didn’t turn out quite right.
The class of 2020 accidentally had 164 students at the beginning of their first year and only dropped down to 158. Hence why the school has the infrastructure to host such a large class now. This happened however due to massive over acceptance (originally 180 people accepted in April). So they are likely being very cautious on their algorithm to avoid over acceptance. They *do not* have the infrastructure to do more than 165 or so.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t think anyone knows for sure. I can see it going one of two ways:

1) their alternate list is shorter than they expected and they think they’ll exhaust it early, so new interviews will make a second alternate list
2) their pool in general is smaller than expected and everyone will be going into the same alternate list.
That makes me nervous about my chances 😬🥴🙏 I’m still waiting on LMU and I’m an alternate at Missouri. So this Illinois opportunity is so awesome and I’m really hoping to make the best of it!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
For those offered a new interview spot, do not expect your interviewers to know why this is happening if you ask.

Does Illinois put everyone that interviews and doesn’t get in on the alternate list or do they send rejections as well?

Does Illinois put everyone that interviews and doesn’t get in on the alternate list or do they send rejections as well?
Everyone will either be accepted or wait listed at this point.

Hi everyone!!! IS alternate here, I’ve been following this thread for a while now. Congrats to everyone who received offers!! I’m trying not to stress myself out over this unprecedented situation but I have so many questions :( Has any IS applicants received an offer to interview or has it only been OOS applicants? I just know that the IS waitlist usually moves less than OOS so I would be surprised that with the current waitlist applicants they wouldn’t have enough to fill the class?? I know that no one has clear answers to whats going on but just trying to get some more info!

• Care
Hi everyone!!! IS alternate here, I’ve been following this thread for a while now. Congrats to everyone who received offers!! I’m trying not to stress myself out over this unprecedented situation but I have so many questions :( Has any IS applicants received an offer to interview or has it only been OOS applicants? I just know that the IS waitlist usually moves less than OOS so I would be surprised that with the current waitlist applicants they wouldn’t have enough to fill the class?? I know that no one has clear answers to whats going on but just trying to get some more info!
My email said they were interviewing more out of state applicants. I do know other schools keep out of state and in state applicants separate. Not sure about Illinois though. I hope you get a spot!

My email said they were interviewing more out of state applicants. I do know other schools keep out of state and in state applicants separate. Not sure about Illinois though. I hope you get a spot!
I think Illinois keeps IS and OOS separate, but I’m not 100% sure. So I’m thinking if they are only interviewing OOS applicants then it won’t affect IS alternates much. Fingers crossed, but good luck on your interview and to everyone else interviewing or waiting for a spot :)

IS and OOS are kept separate like all other public university vet schools. Public university vet schools must accept a certain number of state residents per year.

I officially accepted my offer of admission today! (deposit paid & transcripts ordered.) :giggle: I'm so excited to meet everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I have a few questions for current students:

1. Do you have any laptop recommendations?
2. Do you recommend buying a stethoscope online or from the vendor that comes at the beginning of the year?
3. Are there any additional supplies that you strongly recommend for school?
4. When are we able to purchase parking passes, and which parking lots are best for veterinary students?
5. When will we receive information on registering for classes, etc.? (I assume not for a while, but just thought I'd ask!)
6. Where did you get your rabies vaccinations done?

I'm sorry for all the questions 🤦‍♀️ I just want to make sure I have everything semi- planned out!

Do we know when accepted applicants will get more information on what we need to do before classes start like rabies vaccines? I’m trying not to be neurotic about not hearing anything from UIUC after getting the acceptance email, but my acceptance was so surprising to me that my brain is convinced that it’s some sort of mistake and I was actually waitlisted, hence the radio silence lol😂.

But has everyone else gotten more info since they got their acceptance email? Will there be more information when we get our acceptance letters in the mail? I’m not sure how I should be preparing for vet school right now besides looking for apartments with my boyfriend who is moving with me! I already got my prerequisites done.

Do we know when accepted applicants will get more information on what we need to do before classes start like rabies vaccines? I’m trying not to be neurotic about not hearing anything from UIUC after getting the acceptance email, but my acceptance was so surprising to me that my brain is convinced that it’s some sort of mistake and I was actually waitlisted, hence the radio silence lol😂.

But has everyone else gotten more info since they got their acceptance email? Will there be more information when we get our acceptance letters in the mail? I’m not sure how I should be preparing for vet school right now besides looking for apartments with my boyfriend who is moving with me! I already got my prerequisites done.
Nothinh here

I have a few questions for current students:

1. Do you have any laptop recommendations?
2. Do you recommend buying a stethoscope online or from the vendor that comes at the beginning of the year?
3. Are there any additional supplies that you strongly recommend for school?
4. When are we able to purchase parking passes, and which parking lots are best for veterinary students?
5. When will we receive information on registering for classes, etc.? (I assume not for a while, but just thought I'd ask!)
6. Where did you get your rabies vaccinations done?

I'm sorry for all the questions 🤦‍♀️ I just want to make sure I have everything semi- planned out!
1. Any laptop that meets the minimum requirements is fine. If you are someone who likes to hand write or draw in notes, I recommend some sort of 2 in 1. A lot of people have various kinds of surfaces and @battie did and a lot have other 2 in 1s. I prefer apple products and had an older MacBook Pro that met the minimum requirements so I used that for exams and all fourth year for vetstar and bought an iPad Pro for note taking because I needed to be able to write and draw. Had I needed a new laptop I probably would have gone away from apple just because I need to be able to hand write in my PowerPoints.
2. Whichever one is cheaper. Online usually is. You won’t need this until you start first year clinics mid-October.
3. You will need scalpel blades and gloves (most people have nitrile) for anatomy. I got a box of 100 #10 blades cheap on Amazon and gave the rest to my little at the beginning of her 1st year. Surgery club will sell nitrile gloves throughout the year if you would rather buy from them. You’ll also get a list at the beginning of the summer from SAVMA with the things they’re selling that students can buy (and selling savma memberships, which I HIGHLY recommend getting the 4 year package price for that vs paying yearly. SAVMA membership also gives you free liability insurance that some off campus places will make you have especially if you’re not doing it during 4th year for credit and are over a vacation time). You will need coveralls and boots for palpation that starts first quarter in anatomy.
4. Most first years will be in F30 street parking on Lincoln to start. Parking passes will go on sale mid-July. I highly recommend you get on the waitlists for F32 (little lot on Lincoln across from F27), F27 (the big lot right in front of the school), and F24 (street parking on hazelwood dr) right when you get your netID/student ID number. You don’t have to be enrolled or have a pass purchased yet to get on the lists. You have to call or email the parking department to do this. The quicker you get on the lists the faster you don’t have to park on Lincoln, which can sometimes mean parking fairly far down the street depending on what time you get there in the morning.
5. It’s sometime over the summer I think but may be in May or so.
6. I got mine through Walgreens but had to special order them. The student health center on campus also does them. I think they’re about $380 or so per? But they say on their site the actual price. You need them by mid-October when you go into clinics but if you want to work in the wildlife clinic, it’s better to get them done sooner because you are not allowed to touch any mammals until you are fully vaccinated.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, congrats to all who've been accepted! I'm a current first year on the SAVMA board and I'm helping our class rep field questions and share the new *unofficial* facebook group for your class (there will be an official one created by the school, they'll share that when it's ready) - here's the link: University of Illinois CVM Class of 2026
Feel free to ask questions about anything on there, there will be a few current first years on there to answer. I can also help answer anything here as best I can, we're super excited to meet you all very soon!!

Seeing all of these post from accepted students is making me more nervous for my interview, but also more excited.🤞🙏😬 😂

• Care
1. Any laptop that meets the minimum requirements is fine. If you are someone who likes to hand write or draw in notes, I recommend some sort of 2 in 1. A lot of people have various kinds of surfaces and @battie did and a lot have other 2 in 1s. I prefer apple products and had an older MacBook Pro that met the minimum requirements so I used that for exams and all fourth year for vetstar and bought an iPad Pro for note taking because I needed to be able to write and draw. Had I needed a new laptop I probably would have gone away from apple just because I need to be able to hand write in my PowerPoints.
2. Whichever one is cheaper. Online usually is. You won’t need this until you start first year clinics mid-October.
3. You will need scalpel blades and gloves (most people have nitrile) for anatomy. I got a box of 100 #10 blades cheap on Amazon and gave the rest to my little at the beginning of her 1st year. Surgery club will sell nitrile gloves throughout the year if you would rather buy from them. You’ll also get a list at the beginning of the summer from SAVMA with the things they’re selling that students can buy (and selling savma memberships, which I HIGHLY recommend getting the 4 year package price for that vs paying yearly. SAVMA membership also gives you free liability insurance that some off campus places will make you have especially if you’re not doing it during 4th year for credit and are over a vacation time). You will need coveralls and boots for palpation that starts first quarter in anatomy.
4. Most first years will be in F30 street parking on Lincoln to start. Parking passes will go on sale mid-July. I highly recommend you get on the waitlists for F32 (little lot on Lincoln across from F27), F27 (the big lot right in front of the school), and F24 (street parking on hazelwood dr) right when you get your netID/student ID number. You don’t have to be enrolled or have a pass purchased yet to get on the lists. You have to call or email the parking department to do this. The quicker you get on the lists the faster you don’t have to park on Lincoln, which can sometimes mean parking fairly far down the street depending on what time you get there in the morning.
5. It’s sometime over the summer I think but may be in May or so.
6. I got mine through Walgreens but had to special order them. The student health center on campus also does them. I think they’re about $380 or so per? But they say on their site the actual price. You need them by mid-October when you go into clinics but if you want to work in the wildlife clinic, it’s better to get them done sooner because you are not allowed to touch any mammals until you are fully vaccinated.
Thank you so much for all the information!

Thank you so much for all the information!
No problem! For coveralls and boots I think that production med club also rents them on first come first served basis. You can also find loads of fourth years that will be selling them once they’re done with the rotations that need them and may even be able to find some people selling over the summer that may be in town longer over the summer or if you are going to live with a current student they could pick them up for you from an outgoing fourth year selling them.

I’m sorry if I missed it, but does anyone have any insight on how the curriculum is set? ie. class schedule, exams and how often they’re held. And basically how a typical day would be like. I’m nervous and still deciding between schools 😅 Thanks in advance!!

I’m sorry if I missed it, but does anyone have any insight on how the curriculum is set? ie. class schedule, exams and how often they’re held. And basically how a typical day would be like. I’m nervous and still deciding between schools 😅 Thanks in advance!!
Same here

Classes when I was there depending on the quarter you were in and what electives you were taking. Overall expect 9-5 for the most part with some electives going till 6 or 7. Maybe a current student could take a screenshot of the current first year schedule.

Granted, that's if you go to class. Attendance is not mandatory except for some labs. So if you elect to not go to class, then the schedule is really up to you.

This was our schedule for the first quarter, and pretty representative of the entire year (other than Q2, which is 601; clinical rotations). We have 4 quizzes a quarter, 2 written (computer) quizzes and 2 palpation quizzes. There's also one midterm and one final each quarter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 4.07.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 4.07.15 PM.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 123
I have not. Glad you mentioned it, though. Didn’t realize it was past the 14th already

I was planning on asking during my interview, but I was wondering if anyone on here knew the turnaround time on a decision? Thanks!!!

With fewer people being interviewed this round there’s a chance it may be even quicker especially since the acceptance deadline is approaching