Florida Atlantic University Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elkhead71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the new medical school FAU is planning to open up next year. I know they aren't on AMCAS, however I did hear that they plan on having the application independent of AMCAS with them being available in the spring along with interviews being around that time. It all seems like they're setting themselves up for a very hectic process. Does anyone know if it's true or not.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I go to FAU. I heard they will start taking paper applications starting in February. I don't know why they aren't using AMCAS.

I go to FAU. I heard they will start taking paper applications starting in February. I don't know why they aren't using AMCAS.

Do you know their requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard February as well. I didn't know they weren't going through AMCAS.

Requirements should be the same (or very similar) to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine @ FAU requirements. Most of the staff should be the same and the program is fairly established now with a good reputation, so they probably expect to be drawing the same 30 MCAT, 3.6 types.

I don't know how much being a "new" school without the UM "brand" or affiliation with Jackson Memorial will affect admissions. My understanding is that they'll be affiliated with Boca Raton Regional Hospital (formerly Boca Raton Community Hospital), Bethesda Memorial Hospital (in Boynton Beach) and JFK Hospital (near West Palm Beach).

"Funds have been set aside to award scholarships to the majority of the charter class based on merit, need or diversity for up to a total of four years of support."

This makes things interesting............5 minutes from my house....i think i will be applying as well....

"Funds have been set aside to award scholarships to the majority of the charter class based on merit, need or diversity for up to a total of four years of support."

This makes things interesting............5 minutes from my house....i think i will be applying as well....

I will be applying for sure, actively awaiting AMCAS updating because it will be nice to have everything immediately ready.

They should be on AMCAs after Feb 24th they say.....I hope so, 30 minutes from my house...it would be pretty sweet...i love palm beach county

Can anyone provide me a refresher as to why it lost its affiliations with UM and starting again as independent? I'm not all too familiar with FAU....

Can anyone provide me a refresher as to why it lost its affiliations with UM and starting again as independent? I'm not all too familiar with FAU....

It did not "lose" its affiliation. It broke it to become its own medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
FAU Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine has just been granted preliminary accreditation by the LCME (February 7th, 2011).

I was really excited to hear this but unfortunately I didn't submit my AMCAS for Fall 2011, so I will have to submit this summer to apply to FAU for Fall 2012.

Good Luck to those eligible to apply right now!

In case anyone is interested, you can now email them with your contact info so that you get updated when exactly they are put on AMCAS...this is from the website:

Since the College of Medicine will not be listed on AMCAS until a day or two after February 24th, it is imperative that you send us your contact information now so you can receive updates about the school and be reminded the instant that the College is listed on AMCAS. To take advantage of this offer, please send your contact information immediately to [email protected], or call the Office of Admissions during business hours at 561-297-0440. Letters can be sent to our USPS street address. All emails and letters will be acknowledged.

Thanks to everyone posting messages at this site and being patient while we waited for accreditation from the LCME which was received on February 1.

The Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University is now a new, independent, public medical school. Our web site is at http://med.fau.edu and you can find a wealth of information there, including our developmental history as a regional campus of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, our admissions requirements, information about the Integrated Patient Focused Curriculum, the faculty, a campus video, and a copy of our admissions brochure which will be available next week.

In accordance with our plans that were approved by the LCME, we are moving ahead and admitting our charter class to begin in the fall of 2011. Because we must be formally "approved" by the AAMC for membership, a pro forma action at this point, at their next meeting on February 24, we won't be able to appear as a medical school to which applicants can apply until a day or two after February 24. Therefore, we've posted a note on the Admissions page of our web site asking prospective applicants to send their contact information to us at [email protected] so we can send them updates about the medical school and a reminder the instant we appear on the AMCAS list.

As always, if you have questions that aren't answered at the web site or in the brochure, you can always write to me at [email protected] for an answer or clarification.

And I have no intentions whatsoever to "lurk" around studentdoctor.net! I have neither the time nor the inclination. So feel free to exchange comments, observations, ideas or whatever. Good luck with your applications!

Thanks,

Bob Hinkley, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
Florida Atlantic University
561-297-0440

Thanks to everyone posting messages at this site and being patient while we waited for accreditation from the LCME which was received on February 1.

The Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University is now a new, independent, public medical school. Our web site is at http://med.fau.edu and you can find a wealth of information there, including our developmental history as a regional campus of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, our admissions requirements, information about the Integrated Patient Focused Curriculum, the faculty, a campus video, and a copy of our admissions brochure which will be available next week.

In accordance with our plans that were approved by the LCME, we are moving ahead and admitting our charter class to begin in the fall of 2011. Because we must be formally "approved" by the AAMC for membership, a pro forma action at this point, at their next meeting on February 24, we won't be able to appear as a medical school to which applicants can apply until a day or two after February 24. Therefore, we've posted a note on the Admissions page of our web site asking prospective applicants to send their contact information to us at [email protected] so we can send them updates about the medical school and a reminder the instant we appear on the AMCAS list.

As always, if you have questions that aren't answered at the web site or in the brochure, you can always write to me at [email protected] for an answer or clarification.

And I have no intentions whatsoever to "lurk" around studentdoctor.net! I have neither the time nor the inclination. So feel free to exchange comments, observations, ideas or whatever. Good luck with your applications!

Thanks,

Bob Hinkley, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
Florida Atlantic University
561-297-0440

The first and last paragraphs of this made me believe this is actually Dr. Bob Hinkley (or a Dr. Hinkley imposter). School officials can get registered with SDN to add credibility to their posts even though this post doesn't seem to have anything inflammatory or controversial. If this is Dr. Hinkley, hopefully you can get verified by the SDN administration so that your posts may be considered gospel with respect to the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine.

The AMCAS is up, and I applied as well. Probably don't have a good chance, since I'm OOS. I wonder how long it takes to receive a secondary.

Also, note that there is an official thread for this school. I think It's on the 2nd page right now.

For the sake of convenience, here is the link.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=796705

Hey All. Interviwed at FAU last week. Very impressive program. The faculty seem extremly committed to the students. Only concern is that because of the location it seems like a lot of what the affiliated hospitals see is geriatric related. However, the school is also affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic which is a top Hospital which sees everything. Definitley a top choice.

Just got a call from Dr. Hinkley, I got accepted! Seriously the best day of my life :D:D. What a long, dreadful process it has been, but so worth it. Best of luck to the rest of you!

I'm still waiting on my call. Interviewed on the 24th. I really hope it is good news!

duckman

Congratulations.

are you in state or OoS?

Thanks! In state, thank God. Good luck to everyone else, don't give up hope! I thought I was SOL, but everything turned out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.