2022-2023 University of South Florida (Morsani)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @runner31 for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 University of South Florida Secondary Essay Prompts
USF Morsani has 2 tracks you could apply to - read about them before applying & writing your essays USF CORE and SELECT tracks

1. Do you believe the competitiveness (i.e. course requirements, experiences, academic performance, etc.) of your application for medical school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? (1500 character max)

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career (Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, or Other)? Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1500 character max)

3. (optional) The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (1500 characters)

4. The USF Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but is not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research, and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (2000 characters)

5. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)

~ questions about institutional action, felonies, etc. ~

6. If you have chosen the SELECT program or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health) (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
can you please tell us this year's prompts?

Reactions: 1 user
I can't get past the first page, it's pulling up a 404 error for the residency document. Anyone else getting that too?

Reactions: 3 users
For MD/PhD it looks like they want us to directly upload letters to the portal. Mine are already in AMCAS and I don't want to have the writers email it to me directly, should we just upload a PDF saying see 'X's letter in the AMCAS letters'?

Has anyone emailed about the document issue yet? I don't want to be adding to the pile if someone already has 😅

I found the form that they require undergrads to fill out... not sure if it's the same one though (link).

Edit: I'm pretty sure it is. I'm going with it.

Last edited:
@wysdoc

Here are this year's prompts.

1. Do you believe the competitiveness (i.e. course requirements, experiences, academic performance, etc.) of your application for medical school has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? (1500 character max)

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career (Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, or Other)? Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1500 character max)

3. (optional) The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation. Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question: (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health) a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (1500 characters)

4. The USF Morsani College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but is not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research, and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine? (2000 characters)

5. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)

~ questions about institutional action, felonies, etc. ~

6. If you have chosen the SELECT program or BOTH, please explain how your experiences and career goals match with the mission of the SELECT program. (MD SELECT Program | USF Health) (1500 characters)

Is anyone able to get in contact with the office of admissions at USF regarding the residency form? I am inclined to fill out the residency form on the undergrad site but I am not certain if that is the same as the one we have to fill out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found the form that they require undergrads to fill out... not sure if it's the same one though (link).

Edit: I'm pretty sure it is. I'm going with it.
Yes, This is the form!
I emailed the admissions office and they sent me a link to the form - looks just like that one.

Yes, This is the form!
I emailed the admissions office and they sent me a link to the form - looks just like that one.
Do you mind sharing the link they sent you? Just in case there are slight changes between the two forms

Do you mind sharing the link they sent you? Just in case there are slight changes between the two forms
It's the same form! Promise!! You can always email the admissions office and they'll send it to you too.

For MD/PhD it looks like they want us to directly upload letters to the portal. Mine are already in AMCAS and I don't want to have the writers email it to me directly, should we just upload a PDF saying see 'X's letter in the AMCAS letters'?
I have the exact same issue and just emailed admissions about it. I'll keep you updated if/when I get a response.

Can someone post the link to the portal? For some reason my invite email doesn't have the portal link, just the residency form link. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any current students that can offer advice on how to answer the second question (about career path)? I am not sure what they are looking for.

There's no right answer they're looking for (there probably are some wrong ones though). I imagine it's just to make sure you've put a little thought into what you want your career to look like and why. Hopefully you have some vision of what you want the rest of your life to look like and you have learned why you want it to be that way (learned via shadowing or work experience, for example).

Does USF send an email when your application is complete? Cause after you submit your secondary, it says that they don't send you a confirmation email confirming your submission, but I wasn't sure about if they send one when your app is complete. (Just trying to make sure they got my letters lol)

Does USF send an email when your application is complete? Cause after you submit your secondary, it says that they don't send you a confirmation email confirming your submission, but I wasn't sure about if they send one when your app is complete. (Just trying to make sure they got my letters lol)
I never got one

Hey everyone, I submitted my primary here (not verified yet), is it even worth completing a secondary OOS, 3.85/514? I'm leaning no at this point, but would like a second opinion.

Hey everyone, I submitted my primary here (not verified yet), is it even worth completing a secondary OOS, 3.85/514? I'm leaning no at this point, but would like a second opinion.
USF is very OOS friendly. I'd say send it

Can anyone share the residency document? The link on the secondary portal is dead for me.

"5. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B", including B-, or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)"

If I have no grades below a B, no withdrawals, or any other issues, should I type N/A in this section, or should I find something to write about regardless?

Where can I find the portal to start my secondary, my email doesn’t have a link

Where can I find the portal to start my secondary, my email doesn’t have a link
You should have received two separate emails, one with a link for a residency form and one with the link to the seconadry.

when you apply for both core and select, are you considered separately for each, or do you get an interview for only program? I'm confused and can't find info on this on the website.

Admissions just got back to me on this, they said it is okay to submit documents that say "See X's letter submitted via AMCAS".

Is anyone else having issues when creating an account to proceed with secondary app?

What do I put as my USF ID in the residency form? Is it just my AMCAS ID? I can't find another ID number anywhere in the secondary.

What do I put as my USF ID in the residency form? Is it just my AMCAS ID? I can't find another ID number anywhere in the secondary.
That's if you are a student at USF, which I don't believe we ever had to sign up with the undergraduate campus.

For the question about academic difficulties, should I address each grade one-by-one, or can I give a broad explanation? Hoping I can do the latter, since I earned scattered subpar grades in undergrad due to general circumstances, but earned excellent grades in my post-bacc. Would be difficult to explain one-by-one.

I'm past the 2-week period of when I received my secondary for USF-Morsani by 4 days due to being busy with 30 other secondary applications. Is it okay to not be able to submit secondaries to them until Mid-August as an OOS applicant?

I'm past the 2-week period of when I received my secondary for USF-Morsani by 4 days due to being busy with 30 other secondary applications. Is it okay to not be able to submit secondaries to them until Mid-August as an OOS applicant?
Similar to the comment you made in the UCF post. I think USF is becoming more OOS friendly by just a bit from previous years, but given their mission and programs, they seem to still prefer those who have strong ties to the Florida state.

Hey y'all, current MS2 in the SELECT program here just popping in to say hello and good luck! I probably won't be able to help with specific application/administrative type questions, but if you have questions about the school in general or SELECT in specific, feel free to shoot me a DM.

What should we do for the residency form? I'm IS and dependent but the instructions on the portal say that MD applicants are considered independent. Should we just follow those directions and fill the form as an independent?

What should we do for the residency form? I'm IS and dependent but the instructions on the portal say that MD applicants are considered independent. Should we just follow those directions and fill the form as an independent?
I emailed them and they said unless your parents are paying for more than 50% of your medical school tuition fill out the form as an independent.

Current MS4 in SELECT-feel free to ask me any questions in this chat or through DMs!

Has anyone received interviews yet?
This week and last week Early Decision applicants have been getting interview invites for beginning of September. Not sure of regular applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not sure about the definitions of the different terms in this question:

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career (Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, or Other)? Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1500 character max)

Specifically, what do they mean by "public health" will being a PCP come under "public health" or "other"?

Last edited:
I am not sure about the definitions of the different terms in this question:

Specifically, what do they mean by "public health" will being a PCP come under "public health" or "other"?
I have moved your question to the school specific thread where I believe this secondary prompt is asked.

No, public health is different. Do you want to work for a university or in a private practice setting?

I have moved your question to the school specific thread where I believe this secondary prompt is asked.

No, public health is different. Do you want to work for a university or in a private practice setting?

When you say, work for a university, do you mean as an attending? I think I will likely be employed, also, if I seem a bit uninformed, I apologize, we can discuss privately if this is going off topic from this school thread.

Current M1 in CORE, feel free to ask me any questions about the app process or other things. :) Good luck everyone!

Hello! Current M2 in SELECT. Best wishes for this cycle! If you have a question about the school in general or SELECT in specific, feel free to shoot me a DM. I will try to answer to the best of my abilities.

II received just now for the SELECT MD program. OOS, submitted 6/30.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else's secondary not working? I have everything filled in but the "Submit my responses and Pay" button just isn't loading for me? Please help! TIA