Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't worry about the success rate. I am currently in the program, and this issue has been raised several times. Dr. Scoville told us a couple of weeks ago that they wouldn't have accepted us if they didn't think we had a good chance of getting in to either EVMS or our school of choice. So far, at least 4 of us have been accepted to other MD programs (UNC and UVA included). My best guess is that, while they are expanding the MM program, they are likely accepting some students with more competitive stats so that at the end of the year they aren't faced with the difficult task of rejecting students who have no other options.

Trust me: the faculty at EVMS are on your side. They would not be expanding the program if they didn't have some sort of game plan with regard to the success of their students. However, I do think that they are attempting to shift it away from a feeder program to a more renowned post-bac like Georgetown or BU (although many would argue, myself included, that the small class size of EVMS MM in previous years is one of the main things that made it so attractive). I would be very surprised if the class size next year stays at 40.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted into the MM program via email. I'm incredibly excited. My application was sent in Nov 14th but complete Dec 7th due to LOR and transcript issues. My stats were a 33R MCAT and 3.3 GPA, 3.2 BCMP. Nontrad. I figured I'd help those applying by listing my stats, because I would troll this forum for that type of info from accepted students. Leah is very helpful about putting together you application materials and generally presenting you to admissions as a solid student and future MD. I recommend communicating with her via phone if she contacts you about your packet. Also, a big thanks to those who contribute to this forum such as Dr. Midlife, whose advice I followed to a tee.

I was also accepted but back in November. Leah is definitely very nice, especially to applicants that are willing to call and to talk to her. The only thing I am worried about is what the projected success rate of the program will be for this year's class to matriculate into EVMS's Medical School, especially after they increased the class size of the MM Program to 40. What do you guys think?

I have applied to few other SMP's so I am going to weight all my options before I decide. Hopefully, they won't increase the size of the class too much and still take good number MM students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you guys only have 10 days to put in the deposit?

How much the program cost overall? I know the tuition but what about housing, health insurance, etc?

How much the program cost overall? I know the tuition but what about housing, health insurance, etc?
When all was said and done, I budgeted about $50,000 for the entire year (for everything). Obviously this depends on the individual, and I was being pretty thrifty when I laid out my projected expenses. You can always take out more federal loans later in the year.

If the concern here is that you'll pay the deposit and lose it if/when you get accepted by another program later, then that's a fantastic problem to have. Pay the deposit to protect your seat. In the grand scheme of things it's a wee tiny little bit of money.
C'mon now, you should be able to go look for that info, shouldn't you? Take charge. http://www.evms.edu/education/finan...school_of_health_professions/medical_masters/
You can always take out more federal loans later in the year.
Misleading. The school-defined cost of attendance is what you can borrow in federal loans. There's a very short list of things you can tack onto that budget for federal lending.

But as for borrowing less than the COA, that's a very very very smart thing to do if you can.

Note that the med masters budget is for 9 months, not a full year.

Best of luck to you.

If I'm using interfolio, should I send my letters to the address provided or use the interfolio emails on the online application?

What are my chances?

University of Washington 2012 grad, 3.1 science, 3.36 cumulative
Lots of meaningful ECs with leadership experience and a focus on primary care in underserved populations. Lots of clinical experience through a full time paid medical scribe job as well as over 150 hours of shadowing in rural areas. Research for a year at Seattle Children's Research Institute with a competitive research award scholarship and following presentation at our school's annual symposium (no publication though).
MCAT Date: 1/26/2013 practice scores over 10 tests: 33-35
I applied to Tufts, EVSU, UCinci, RFU, Georgetown; think I'll get in here or anywhere?

If I'm using interfolio, should I send my letters to the address provided or use the interfolio emails on the online application?
I can't parse the question. Regardless, use the address that the EVMS med masters program provides. If Interfolio provides another method of reaching EVMS, that is probably for EVMS MD.
What are my chances?

University of Washington 2012 grad, 3.1 science, 3.36 cumulative
Lots of meaningful ECs with leadership experience and a focus on primary care in underserved populations. Lots of clinical experience through a full time paid medical scribe job as well as over 150 hours of shadowing in rural areas. Research for a year at Seattle Children's Research Institute with a competitive research award scholarship and following presentation at our school's annual symposium (no publication though).
MCAT Date: 1/26/2013 practice scores over 10 tests: 33-35
I applied to Tufts, EVSU, UCinci, RFU, Georgetown; think I'll get in here or anywhere?
With a 31+ MCAT your odds are fine at all of those. Without an MCAT score, however, your app will go in a pile, waiting for your MCAT score.

UWSOM hasn't ever accepted a student straight out of EVMS. But:
1. If you're a WA resident, you should try really really hard to get into UW in order to save money. Six figures of money. Worth it.
2. Just because nobody got into UW while doing EVMS med masters doesn't mean it can't happen.
3. People who have done other SMPs have gotten into UW. So UW knows about SMPs.

Best of luck to you.

I had Interfolio send it to the address using snail mail so that it gets to the Medical Master's dept (Leah Solomon I think). Thought about sending it to an e-mail address (like hpadmissions) as well but opted not to

Hello all,

I'm considering applying to the EVMS program this cycle and was hoping some of you with more knowledge could tell me what my chances are. I have a 3.15 cumulative GPA, 3.00 sGPA, and am taking the MCAT on March 23rd (signed up for a PR class). I graduated December 2010 and have been working with the DOD doing viral oncogenesis research (1 year volunteer, 1 year paid) which I have presented and am currently in the process of writing/submitting.

I have done some shadowing, but not a whole lot (most of my time was spent with research). I've also done some volunteer work, but then again not a whole lot. Any advice on my chances or how best I could/should play the application game?

I appreciate any responses.

I think if you're able to get that MCAT >30 you have a decent chance at getting in. That being said, you should apply ASAP and send periodic emails to Leah expressing your interest. Good luck.

Hello all,

I'm considering applying to the EVMS program this cycle and was hoping some of you with more knowledge could tell me what my chances are. I have a 3.15 cumulative GPA, 3.00 sGPA, and am taking the MCAT on March 23rd (signed up for a PR class). I graduated December 2010 and have been working with the DOD doing viral oncogenesis research (1 year volunteer, 1 year paid) which I have presented and am currently in the process of writing/submitting.

I have done some shadowing, but not a whole lot (most of my time was spent with research). I've also done some volunteer work, but then again not a whole lot. Any advice on my chances or how best I could/should play the application game?

I appreciate any responses.

Acceptances are made on rolling basis. The class will be almost full by the time you get your MCAT score back. You may want to consider other SMPs or even sit out this year and apply early when the application opens next year. I just wouldn't put any bet on EVMS this year..

I will be submitting my app this week. Am I super late? I have a 3.47cgpa, 3.14sgpa, 31 mcat. Average shadowing and research but tons of volunteering (Peace Corps) and clinical experience (full time emt). Are my chances good at this point? EVMS is a top choice for me as prospects for regular md admissions aren't looking good this cycle. I'm from NC, if that is relevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be submitting my app this week. Am I super late? I have a 3.47cgpa, 3.14sgpa, 31 mcat. Average shadowing and research but tons of volunteering (Peace Corps) and clinical experience (full time emt). Are my chances good at this point? EVMS is a top choice for me as prospects for regular md admissions aren't looking good this cycle. I'm from NC, if that is relevant.
Your chances are fine. Don't just apply to EVMS - hit VCU, Cincy and Gtown as well, at least.

Peace Corps isn't "volunteering". It's a real job and a big deal. On an SMP or MD app it pops out like a rainbow.

There are quite a few EVMS SMP students over the last few years (including this year) who get UNC/ECU acceptances during the SMP year (Nov-Apr). Make sure you're laying the groundwork now to have a strong, early in-state app. Alternatively, make a bet and move to Norfolk now to get a job and get VA residency. EVMS MD OOS COA is over $325k, 2nd highest in the country.

Best of luck to you.

Your chances are fine. Don't just apply to EVMS - hit VCU, Cincy and Gtown as well, at least.

Peace Corps isn't "volunteering". It's a real job and a big deal. On an SMP or MD app it pops out like a rainbow.

There are quite a few EVMS SMP students over the last few years (including this year) who get UNC/ECU acceptances during the SMP year (Nov-Apr). Make sure you're laying the groundwork now to have a strong, early in-state app. Alternatively, make a bet and move to Norfolk now to get a job and get VA residency. EVMS MD OOS COA is over $325k, 2nd highest in the country.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much, Dr. Midlife.

It's really good to know that SMP students get into UNC/ECU. Do those students who apply to schools other than EVMS provide an addendum to their application that explains that they are in an SMP and to stay tuned for grades, etc?

While I was a Peace Corps volunteer, I didn't complete the full two years. I was kidnapped after getting into a taxi and returned stateside 6 months into my service. The Peace Corps withdrew from the country (Honduras) not long after for similar safety issues. But, I've wondered if leaving early has/will hurt me with med school/SMP apps. I've made it clear my reasons for leaving in my applications, but I'll always wonder...

It's really good to know that SMP students get into UNC/ECU. Do those students who apply to schools other than EVMS provide an addendum to their application that explains that they are in an SMP and to stay tuned for grades, etc?
This is a really huge thread, but that information has been discussed in excruciating detail year after year. I recommend reading every single post in this thread to anybody considering the EVMS med masters. For people considering other SMPs, read every single post in those threads.

But to answer your question, you need to get your SMP to generate a letter for your med schools at the beginning of the program, and again after you have first semester grades. You need to be aggressive in getting your SMP to do this. And you need to use a letter service.

Generally people who get accepted by their home state schools during the EVMS med masters got interviews and/or waitlists the previous year. This opens the whole can of worms of whether it's in your best interest to apply during an SMP, when your SMP is not yet an asset, or to apply after an SMP, when the completed asset can actually boost your MD app. When well over $100k in COA is at stake, this is a very serious issue.
While I was a Peace Corps volunteer, I didn't complete the full two years. I was kidnapped after getting into a taxi and returned stateside 6 months into my service. The Peace Corps withdrew from the country (Honduras) not long after for similar safety issues. But, I've wondered if leaving early has/will hurt me with med school/SMP apps. I've made it clear my reasons for leaving in my applications, but I'll always wonder...
You should be able to turn that into an interesting part of your med school essay. What did you learn about politics, security, human rights etc from that overly-eventful version of PC service? What does your experience tell you about the quality of life for the average Honduran, and what are the consequences? You don't need to fully detail your experience in your essay, because simply mentioning (believably) what happened will be enough to generate interest, which will be pursued when you interview.

Best of luck to you.

Just submitted. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed. Would love to go to EVMS!

Just submitted. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed. Would love to go to EVMS!

Just got accepted to RFU's BMS Program. They have given me two weeks to decide but I'm not sure what to do at this point, since I already have an admission at EVMS.

Just got accepted to RFU's BMS Program. They have given me two weeks to decide but I'm not sure what to do at this point, since I already have an admission at EVMS.
RFU med still takes most of its SMP grads, correct? Then the decision comes down to whether you want to do med school in North Chicago or in Norfolk. Been to either?

If you pay the deposits on your acceptances, then you can buy yourself time to decide. Just make up your mind and give up the seat(s) you don't want in time for somebody else to get a chance.

Best of luck to you.

Complete today.

I have to say that the SMP admissions office has been one of the most helpful and responsive I've ever encountered. I don't think it's ever taken anyone in the office more than a couple of hours to respond to questions/emails. Definitely a good sign :thumbup:

Complete today.

I have to say that the SMP admissions office has been one of the most helpful and responsive I've ever encountered. I don't think it's ever taken anyone in the office more than a couple of hours to respond to questions/emails. Definitely a good sign :thumbup:

Yeah, I have to agree. I applied in November, and I had some questions regarding my application. I emailed them my concerns, and they suggested that I call them. They were very considerate and seemed concerned about my application. Actually, one of the administrators went through my application and provided suggestions on how I could improve it. Mainly, I think they were very happy that I was applying so early and were pleased with my commitment by calling and asking questions pertaining to the program.

I wish you and the other applicants the best of luck :luck:.

Got an acceptance email this afternoon! I'm beyond excited and can't wait to start!

Just got accepted as well! I also got accepted to the George Squared program (Georgetown/George Mason SMP). Really tough decision. Does anyone have an opinion about which program would be better? Does one have better linkage with a medical school or is it just about doing well?

Just got accepted as well! I also got accepted to the George Squared program (Georgetown/George Mason SMP). Really tough decision. Does anyone have an opinion about which program would be better? Does one have better linkage with a medical school or is it just about doing well?
EVMS is currently in flux - the program expanded from 28 to 40 students this year, the largest class increase in its history (this trend will continue for the foreseeable future). A lot of questions will be answered come May/June with regard to linkage. Out of our class of 40, however, 5 students have already been accepted to other medical schools (another first in the program's history). If I were to dust off my Jump To Conclusions mat, I would say that EVMS is well on its way to offering the best of both scenarios - strong linkage and a chance to strengthen your competitiveness for other medical schools. Just for your own reference, something like 23/28 students from last year's class are now M1's at EVMS, and 27+/-1 out of 28 were accepted to a US medical school (DrMidlife can give you exact numbers, but those are the ones I remember being thrown around).

Can't say much about the George Squared program. I'm sure you'll find some useful information hidden deep within a thread somewhere. Oh, and congratulations to the both of you!

Last edited:
Complete today.

I really appreciate the helpful tips that Leah gave me on my CV. Hopefully I'll hear back soon!

got waitlisted :( It came through the mail, didn't say where I'm ranked on the waitlist, though. my #1 choice, hopefully something changes

Is there a fb group for upcoming class? Do you guys know if we are supposed to be getting an admission packet or something like that?

Accepted! Does anyone know if the deposit is refundable or not? I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools.

Accepted! Does anyone know if the deposit is refundable or not? I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools.

Congrats!

Assume the deposit is not refundable, because deposits don't work like that. Losing a deposit to the chance of having multiple SMP acceptances to choose from is a seriously great problem to have. #firstworldproblems

Best of luck to you.

Accepted by email today! I was only really complete on last Friday (2/9) because I needed an exemption letter for one of my prereqs. Congratulations to everyone else who has gotten in, we're all one step closer to becoming physicians!

How much would performing well in this program help your chances for applying to other medical schools? I know it's not really designed to do that but would still provide a fair boost?

I am pretty happy with the acceptance here but I do really want to end up in a california medical school if possible; I know that I need to wait until I copmlete the program for the UCs to take into account the grades in SMP, but this would also mean that I would no longer benefit from the high linkage to EVMS (afaik) since it would be waiting another cycle.

How much would performing well in this program help your chances for applying to other medical schools? I know it's not really designed to do that but would still provide a fair boost?

I am pretty happy with the acceptance here but I do really want to end up in a California medical school if possible; I know that I need to wait until I complete the program for the UCs to take into account the grades in SMP, but this would also mean that I would no longer benefit from the high linkage to EVMS (afaik) since it would be waiting another cycle.

I would assume that if you did well in the program that EVMS would want you in their medical school class whether you did a same-year application or a glide-year application.

<edit: forgot to answer this>
If you read back in this thread, you'll see the stats for EVMS med masters getting into other schools. This year's class has a UNC and a WVU and a couple other acceptances so far. Generally about a quarter of the class gets in somewhere else as well as getting an EVMS acceptance. Totally depends on how competitive you are before the SMP, and where you apply.
I am pretty happy with the acceptance here but I do really want to end up in a california medical school if possible; I know that I need to wait until I copmlete the program for the UCs to take into account the grades in SMP, but this would also mean that I would no longer benefit from the high linkage to EVMS (afaik) since it would be waiting another cycle.
The only med masters alumnus I know of who got into a UC straight from EVMS was on a UC waitlist going in. If you aren't really, really close to a UC acceptance, you're not in a same-year-UC-app situation with EVMS. Prioritize accordingly.
I would assume that if you did well in the program that EVMS would want you in their medical school class whether you did a same-year application or a glide-year application.
The EVMS med masters year includes an MD interview. It doesn't currently fit the model for students to say they want to wait to apply MD until they finish the program. There's also currently not a model for deferring an EVMS acceptance, to try to get into home state schools.

But I've been attempting to evangelize deferred application with Dr. Meyer et al, because of the very high out of state costs of EVMS, and because it's not as if the EVMS MD class is going to be unfilled if med masters from California don't stay. What remains to be seen is whether the EVMS MD program will hold an interview spot for a med masters for the year after they've graduated.

What we do see, every year, is med masters coming back after not getting accepted, and being treated well on a 2nd try. That has me thinking that a deferred application wouldn't tarnish the med masters shine, at EVMS.

This isn't a very satisfying answer to the question, but frankly the UC's can't be gamed, and the odds of doing pretty much any SMP and then getting into a UC aren't all that great, not even with Gtown. Tough situation.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Thank you for that reply and I certainly hope you are able to convince the EVMS administrators on the deferred application/interview; it makes whole lotta sense for a lot of people, including me!

I've got a question about this program. It says on the MM website that the program starts in October and finishes in May (in the bottom of the program curriculum page). However, I found an older curriculum pdf (2011-2012) which states that orientation is in early August and classes start the week after. Does the program start in August or Octoboer? Can anyone clarify me on this matter?

I've got a question about this program. It says on the MM website that the program starts in October and finishes in May (in the bottom of the program curriculum page). However, I found an older curriculum pdf (2011-2012) which states that orientation is in early August and classes start the week after. Does the program start in August or Octoboer? Can anyone clarify me on this matter?

Started in August this year

If you're talking about this page: http://www.evms.edu/education/masters_programs/medical_masters_program/curriculum/

The asterisk points to the physiology course (OSF) which starts in October. The rest of the courses start in August.

Here are the academic calendars: http://www.evms.edu/education/additional_resources/academic_calendars/

Does anyone know how stringent they are on the laptop thing? Do we need to prove that our laptop is less than 2 years old?

Nobody will ever check your laptop or your warranty.

The requirement, really, is to have a machine that's reliable enough to take exams on and to use all day every day. (I think my keyboard is almost worn out.)

Best of luck to you.

I have a question for anyone currently attending the program. How far from EVMS would you live and still consider it convenient, or at least workable? My wife and I are young and looking to rent; however, she works in Newport News and we are trying to find a good balance between EVMS and her office.

I have a question for anyone currently attending the program. How far from EVMS would you live and still consider it convenient, or at least workable? My wife and I are young and looking to rent; however, she works in Newport News and we are trying to find a good balance between EVMS and her office.
The person who has to take a bridge-tunnel, or has to be on the freeways for a long time, twice per day, is completely screwed. So you should either live in Ghent, in walking distance to EVMS, and then your wife sucks up the commute, or you should live close to your wife's job, and then you get to suck up the commute. There are no preferable options here, but if you're able to wait out rush hour in the morning and in the evening, that's less sucky. As you're surely aware, weather adds tension, but EVMS can't freaking wait to close campus when there's the merest hint of snow.

EVMS is right on top of the midtown tunnel, and without a doubt you're better off taking 58 to 164 to 664 to NN.

I have several classmates who drive a long way to school. They only come to campus when it's required, usually 2-3 days per week. We get video recordings (great for staying home) but we don't get audio (which would be great for the commute). So if I had to choose, and I liked and wanted to keep my spouse, I'd opt to commute, at least for the MM year.

Best of luck to you.

As always, thanks for the advice. I look forward to my many hours spent motoring across Hampton Roads.

Hi, I was referred to the forum by a poster in the pre-medical "What are my chances thread." I am giving a post bac serious consideration, though I am very late to the party. Is it too late to apply here? I'll probably start the app tonight and have it finished either on Monday or Tuesday.

Hi, I was referred to the forum by a poster in the pre-medical "What are my chances thread." I am giving a post bac serious consideration, though I am very late to the party. Is it too late to apply here? I'll probably start the app tonight and have it finished either on Monday or Tuesday.

The deadline is June 1 but get done as soon as you can.

Accepted here, Tufts, and UCincy. Also applied to GT and RFU and expecting to get in. Really trying to decide between EVMS and UCincy. Any insight? My main priority is to attend med school directly after the master's program. The linkage is fairly good at both but higher at EVMS. It throws me off a little bit that they doubled the class size though whereas UCincy is still around 26-28. I would also like to apply to my undergrad and state school, University of Washington. In that respect, I think UCincy would give me better odds but not totally sure on that yet either. Thanks in advance.

Accepted here, Tufts, and UCincy. Also applied to GT and RFU and expecting to get in. Really trying to decide between EVMS and UCincy. Any insight? My main priority is to attend med school directly after the master's program. The linkage is fairly good at both but higher at EVMS. It throws me off a little bit that they doubled the class size though whereas UCincy is still around 26-28. I would also like to apply to my undergrad and state school, University of Washington. In that respect, I think UCincy would give me better odds but not totally sure on that yet either. Thanks in advance.
If your priority is to get in to your state school, I would first find out what their application process is like. Do they accept updates throughout the cycle (specifically transcripts)? How much do they favor current coursework? How do you compare to their average matriculant? Would a program like EVMS or Cincinnati make you a more competitive applicant? These are all fair questions to ask an admissions officer, and they would give you a better idea of what you might be looking for in a SMP.

Although EVMS increased the Med Master class size this year, we've also had several people who have interviewed at their state schools already (a few of whom have been accepted), which is radically new for the program. I can't speak for Cincinnati, but both programs have their advantages/disadvantages. It also might be a good idea to make a trip out to these schools and set up tours with the program directors/current students. That way, you would be able to ask yourself: "can I see myself at ____ school if I'm accepted here and not accepted to my state school?" Think of these programs as more than just a one-year fix; they may end up being where you receive your medical training (worth the cost of a few airplane tickets, in my opinion). Good luck!

Although we have seen people this year get interviews at their state schools, I do not think this is directly correlated with doing the program. I think these people that got an interview would have probably gotten an interview without the SMP. It seems as though an SMP is of little importance to schools the year you are doing them and way more helpful the year after when the schools can see the grades for the full year.

Also, the class size at EVMS is expected to go up again next year.

Although we have seen people this year get interviews at their state schools, I do not think this is directly correlated with doing the program. I think these people that got an interview would have probably gotten an interview without the SMP. It seems as though an SMP is of little importance to schools the year you are doing them and way more helpful the year after when the schools can see the grades for the full year.

Also, the class size at EVMS is expected to go up again next year.

Do you know how much class is going to expand? Do you think it is still recommended to apply to medical school during SMP year especially with people that don't have border line to medical school stats?