Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got into my state MD off waitlist, will decline my place in smp once i got the official acceptance letter. good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I know I'm a little late to the game with the primary (finishing it up right now), but I just wanted to confirm that we put Dr. Solhaug under the letters of evaluation.

I just want to also confirm that this is Michael Solhaug?
Also, is the address: Lewis Hall, 1166, Eastern Virginia Medical School, P.O. Box 1980, Norfolk, Virginia 23501-1980?

Will the medical schools not evaluate your application until they receive the letter from him? Should I list him as an evaluator for all schools I am applying for (if I am not a competitive applicant)?

Sorry if this was already asked beforehand...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I know I'm a little late to the game with the primary (finishing it up right now), but I just wanted to confirm that we put Dr. Solhaug under the letters of evaluation.

I just want to also confirm that this is Michael Solhaug?
Also, is the address: Lewis Hall, 1166, Eastern Virginia Medical School, P.O. Box 1980, Norfolk, Virginia 23501-1980?

Will the medical schools not evaluate your application until they receive the letter from him? Should I list him as an evaluator for all schools I am applying for (if I am not a competitive applicant)?

Sorry if this was already asked beforehand...

Yes! Could someone explain how to fill this portion out for the AMCAS? Thank you so much :)

My info's too old on this one - get into the facebook group and get one of last year's med masters to advise on this.

Any more news from this year's MM class regarding % linkage?

Would it be more likely to be granted in-state status through EVMS or an Ohio program such as the Toledo MSBS (as a current California resident)?

Would it be more likely to be granted in-state status through EVMS or an Ohio program such as the Toledo MSBS (as a current California resident)?
I suggest finding the rules for each state and seeing if they differ. EVMS doesn't own Virginia state law, and Toledo doesn't own Ohio state law. You can usually find links to the rules from the school admissions site.

Generally you don't get granted residency in a state by going to school there. You have to "establish a domicile" which allegedly demonstrates that you're staying in Virginia long term. Paying property tax on real estate is the strongest demonstration, but you can theoretically accumulate a pile of small assets (drivers license, car reg, voter reg, no property outside the state, no parental support from outside the state, etc) to build a satisfactory case.

If you start out paying OOS tuition at school X, then you bear the burden of proof that you deserve to pay instate tuition. You are never on an even playing field with those who were never questioned on their domicile (such as those who grew up in state X).

In either case, you have to establish that domicile a minimum of a year before med school starts. That means your drivers license, car registration, voter reg are solid in the new state before you start your SMP. There are no cases I know of where you could revert those changes in case you get into a UC and get your California residency back. The state you claim on AMCAS is surprisingly important in all of this.

Ohio was historically better at granting instate tuition to those from outside the state, and has more loopholes, but state budgets have decreased and requirements have increased.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks so much for your more than thorough response! You really are so genuinely and universally helpful. I see what you mean about the states dictating the rules, but I was confused because the Cincinnati SMP markets their program with establishment of Ohio residency being one of their assets.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your more than thorough response! You really are so genuinely and universally helpful. I see what you mean about the states dictating the rules, but I was confused because the Cincinnati SMP markets their program with establishment of Ohio residency being one of their assets.
I think Cincinnati isn't making as strong an offer as they used to...but EVMS has never made such an offer. VA is less of a "we need to incentivize doctors to come here and stay" state than Ohio. To VA's loss.

The state or the school has to come up with the $ to cover the difference between instate and OOS tuition, when they grant instate tuition to an OOS student. That's what it comes down to, and that's why it's harder to get a state to grant you residency now than in recent years. Economic crisis and all.

i just declined my spot in smp due to MD acceptance, good luck to whoever that gets my spot

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

My prospective housemate just got into a different program, so now I am in need of a housemate again.

This is for the other bedroom (2BR) at Hague Club Apartments across the street from EVMS.

For Medical Masters students, you only have to pay August-May rent, which is nice if you're planning to apply to other medical schools.

If you're a medical student, then you can continue to lease after May.

- CLEAN, Nonsmoking, no pets allowed by the complex, studious, and friendly

Send me a fb message if you're interested, (or if you contacted me before, contact me again if you still have not found a place).

Wow. I seriously just spent literally 5 hours reading this thread. Thanks to DrMidLife for all of the informative and entertaining posts. This is better than Netflix. I have several questions for you DrMidLife, if you have some time to spare.

1. I'm 32 and a career changer. Do you find the EVMS MM program friendly to so-called "non-traditional" students, i.e. those coming from different backgrounds and not straight from undergrad? I worked in humanitarian operations overseas before doing my post-bacc. I have a fancy Master's degree in International Development that does not include science classes;)

2. I've got a bit of a soggy GPA history: 3.25c and ~3.0s, ahem, spread out over 7 transcripts (Due to older grades but this year is a 4.0 including Biochemistry at ODU) and have not taken the MCATs yet. Do you think it is okay to go ahead and apply to SMPs ONLY? I don't want to waste thousands on MD/DO applications when I know I'm not going to be competitive. Are you at a disadvantage when applying to the EVMS MM without an accompanying AMCAS application? I'm only interested in my state schools for financial reasons and will be applying to the VCU SMP as well.

3. Are there opportunities to work part-time (either in the labs or as TAs) during the M1 year if you have extra-time?

p.s. I should clarify that I am shooting for 28+ on the MCATs and will ONLY apply when and if I achieve this score.

1. I'm 32 and a career changer. Do you find the EVMS MM program friendly to so-called "non-traditional" students, i.e. those coming from different backgrounds and not straight from undergrad? I worked in humanitarian operations overseas before doing my post-bacc. I have a fancy Master's degree in International Development that does not include science classes;)
EVMS is entirely nontrad friendly. I did the med masters at 44. Last year I'm told there was somebody over 30, this coming year it looks like a couple over 35. A few years ago there was a 40 year old mother of 4. Similarly, the med school class usually has a bunch of students over 30 and a couple over 40.

What I was surprised by at EVMS is how many had a bit of a life before med school (such as Peace Corps, military, engineering, nursing, etc) and/or did an SMP (at EVMS or elsewhere). The squeaky-clean never-suffered 3rd-generation-physician rich kids stick out, not the nontrads.
2. I've got a bit of a soggy GPA history: 3.25c and ~3.0s, ahem, spread out over 7 transcripts (Due to older grades but this year is a 4.0 including Biochemistry at ODU) and have not taken the MCATs yet. Do you think it is okay to go ahead and apply to SMPs ONLY? I don't want to waste thousands on MD/DO applications when I know I'm not going to be competitive. Are you at a disadvantage when applying to the EVMS MM without an accompanying AMCAS application? I'm only interested in my state schools for financial reasons and will be applying to the VCU SMP as well.
I think it would be smart to not apply MD until you're in an SMP. I did a massive painful app year before I found out about SMPs, and I didn't gain anything from it other than an understanding of my (total lack of) competitiveness.

There's no disadvantage in not having an AMCAS app when you apply to EVMS. But I think you can fill out an AMCAS (and not submit it) for use in your med masters app. I think you can save it as PDF. It's a good exercise to get an AMCAS done early, regardless. If you have the money to submit without applying to any schools, then you get the GPA calcs.
3. Are there opportunities to work part-time (either in the labs or as TAs) during the M1 year if you have extra-time?
You don't have extra time, in general. I seriously doubt that any paid opportunity on campus pays enough to justify the time. Basically, you don't want to squander your $50k investment in the med masters by taking a $10/hr job. There are med masters who had side gigs where they could set their hours and schedule, and there were long stretches of time where they didn't work at all to focus on school.

But getting into a lab is a good idea for the experience, and EVMS has those opportunities.

You don't have anything to offer as a TA before you've completed the med masters, but as an M1, you have TA opportunities if you did the med masters.
p.s. I should clarify that I am shooting for 28+ on the MCATs and will ONLY apply when and if I achieve this score.
No no no no no no no. Why are you shooting for a below average MCAT? Average is 31+. The higher your MCAT score, the more choices you'll have, and the better prepared you'll be for the exams during med school and beyond. I recommend suffering greatly for a good MCAT score. Embrace the suckage and monotony and reap the points.

If you're 4.0ing biochem and other upper div science, 31+ is possible (as well as necessary).

One thing I'm noticing on SDN over the last year or so is that AAMC practice scores are no longer predictive, not at all. This makes sense to me, because the practice exams are static but the MCAT changes every year. I feel very strongly that a mastery of content across the breadth of prereq subjects, from heavy review and doing a billion problems, is what pays off. Doing the practice exams is still important, but only on top of a boatload of other work. If I were doing MCAT prep now, I'd do full Kaplan plus all the Examkracker books. My point is that you should expect to be surprised by what you're supposed to know on the MCAT if you only prep to the practice tests.

Best of luck to you.

I am currently starting my secondary applications and a few have asked if I will be doing a post-bacc program, and if so, contact info for the person writing a letter. Will that person definitely be Dr. Solhaug? I am afraid of putting his name down just because we have not received any official info about how the whole recommendation letter process will work. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

I am currently starting my secondary applications and a few have asked if I will be doing a post-bacc program, and if so, contact info for the person writing a letter. Will that person definitely be Dr. Solhaug? I am afraid of putting his name down just because we have not received any official info about how the whole recommendation letter process will work. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
I allege that it's safe to put Solhaug down even if Solhaug doesn't do the letter, which he almost certainly will.

Med schools don't require 100% fidelity of each other with recommendation letters. Your letter will be on EVMS letterhead with a signature & contact info for the med masters director. If the exact name doesn't match, you're not in trouble.

I'm being wiggly here because I have no access to EVMS faculty change management. They know better than to leak possibilities to rumor-loving students.

Best of luck to you.

I'm attending the Med Masters program this August, when is the best time to submit my AMCAs app?

I'm attending the Med Masters program this August, when is the best time to submit my AMCAs app?
Now. It takes 6-8 weeks to get AMCAS processed. Plan ahead because you'll need to be getting secondaries done after school starts.

There's full info in this thread on what you're supposed to do with AMCAS (reporting the EVMS coursework, schools you should apply to) in this thread, but ask if you need that info.

Best of luck to you.

I know a similar question was asked recently, but should we be including Dr. Solhaug's letter as an LOR and assigning it to schools on our primary app? Or does he forgo the AMCAS service and send letters directly to a list of schools you provide him?

I know a similar question was asked recently, but should we be including Dr. Solhaug's letter as an LOR and assigning it to schools on our primary app? Or does he forgo the AMCAS service and send letters directly to a list of schools you provide him?
Short answer: it doesn't matter. My vote would be to list the letter with AMCAS now, vs. waiting for school to start.

LORs are not really a primary app asset, but this is fuzzy. All LORs used to be part of secondary apps, but then AMCAS started doing a letter service a couple years ago. So now, you can't really tell when your schools are getting your letters, or when they're reading them.

You are in charge of who gets Solhaug's letter. He expects you to give him instructions on what letter service he's sending the letter to. And then you are in charge of giving the letter service instructions on where to send Solhaug's letter.

I suggest it's a mistake to use AMCAS as your only letter service, because you can't get those letters out for other uses (summer fellowships, jobs, etc). Use Interfolio (or similar) as your letter service, and then have letters forwarded to AMCAS only when it's required to have a letter come from AMCAS.

Best of luck to you.

I'm going to be attending the EVMS med masters programs.
Congrats!
I am a little worried about the fact that so few graduates have acceptances into medical schools other than EVMS.
Acceptance into other med schools than EVMS has never been the point of the EVMS med masters program. That's the point of other SMPs, but it's not the point of the EVMS program. You're measuring the program by a metric it doesn't promote. More on that lower down.
EVMS is not my first choice simply due to cost since i am oos.
Which is completely rational.
I was wondering whether this is because the stats of med masters students are low or the program is simply not recognized/respected enough to impress other schools a la Georgetown SMP and Cinci MS in Physiology.
Stats of all SMP students are low by definition. EVMS stats are probably a bit lower than Cincinnati or Gtown.

You're not looking at the same acceptance numbers I am. Cincinnati puts a nearly identical number of SMP grads right into non-Cincinnati med schools as does EVMS (5-7 per year, out of 20-28 students). Georgetown puts about half of its SMP grads into med school right away, and another 30% into med school after another year or so.

In other words:
>70% of EVMS SMP grads start MD school immediately after finishing the med masters, with ~20% landing at an MD school other than EVMS

>70%+ of Cincinnati SMP grads start MD school immediately after finishing, with ~20% landing at an MD school other than Cincinnati

~50% of Gtown SMP grads start MD school immediately after finishing, with ~35% landing at an MD school other than Gtown.

Note: EVMS numbers are based on my first hand experience of the last 2 years. Cincinnati numbers are based on Cincinnati's alumni page for the last 2 years. Gtown numbers are based on the historical norm of 50% in, 15% into Gtown.

Note: I have no data on any program's results for this last year. No idea.

My stats are:
3.35 gpa, 3.30 science
35 MCAT (14P, 12B, 9V)
300+hours hospital volunteering, 150+ hours physician shadowing
1.5 summers of clinical research at Georgetown and Howard

Is this the norm of the med masters class?
Your MCAT is very high for an SMP student, and your GPA is normal for EVMS or other SMPs.
Just trying to get a feel whether I should expect EVMS to be my only acceptance or not
Listen. You screwed up in undergrad, just like the rest of us here, and you need to check your ego. If you are able to succeed in an SMP and get great grades and get an MD acceptance despite having a 3.35/3.30 GPA, you need to be grateful that such a thing is possible. If you're going to resent getting into EVMS MD, then don't apply to EVMS MD.

That said, if your primary concern is your competitiveness at your home state's public schools or other less expensive schools, then just don't apply MD during the med masters. Finish the med masters and then apply, as if you're doing Gtown.

Best of luck to you.

I appreciate the help Dr. Midlife. It isn't really about ego but more about the fact that I could be wasting my time and more importantly money applying to other medical schools(for the cycle immediately following the med masters program) if they are not willing to only look at the first semester's GPA as a sign of my ability. I really don't want to have a gap year if possible. Although the percentages you show are correct, Georgetown's class size is over 200 students. So roughly 70-80 graduates are going to a med school other than Georgetown immediately after finishing. EVMS has about 5-6. I am not saying that Georgetown's program is better (I have heard that it is not)...just stating the pure numbers. I was only wondering about the stats because I was accepted into the med masters program immediately even though my app was complete on June 10. However I was waitlisted at both Georgetown and Cinci (prob because I applied so late).

I don't know if this nervousness is warranted, but I've seen that there are about 40 acceptances for this years med masters class. Will that affect the historical acceptance percentage for immediate matriculation?

I don't know if this nervousness is warranted, but I've seen that there are about 40 acceptances for this years med masters class. Will that affect the historical acceptance percentage for immediate matriculation?
Huh? No, there are 28 med masters in total per year. Last year the class size increased from 23 to 28. We don't know yet what the results are for the class that just graduated. So far we've heard that 20 out of those 28 are in, apparently in at EVMS.

By this year, I mean class of 2013. I read that there are about 40 acceptance offers to attend the me masters program.

By this year, I mean class of 2013. I read that there are about 40 acceptance offers to attend the me masters program.
Link please. I'm afraid I have no idea what you're referring to.

If you've gone through this thread and counted those who said they were accepted, that has no correlation to the number of spots in the program. I've heard nothing about there being more than 28 this coming year.

Link please. I'm afraid I have no idea what you're referring to.

If you've gone through this thread and counted those who said they were accepted, that has no correlation to the number of spots in the program. I've heard nothing about there being more than 28 this coming year.

I was in Norfolk a few weeks ago and Dr. Meyer told me face to face that 23/28 students were accepted from the 2012 MM class and that the remaining 5 students would not be accepted to EVMS this year. He also said that the MM class of 2013 will have35- 40 students.

I was in Norfolk a few weeks ago and Dr. Meyer told me face to face that 23/28 students were accepted from the 2012 MM class and that the remaining 5 students would not be accepted to EVMS this year. He also said that the MM class of 2013 will have35- 40 students.

Did he happen to mention if the Med School class would be getting any bigger as well?

Hmm... one of the main selling points for me was the small class size (not that 7-12 more students is unreasonable). For the sake of future MM's, I hope that this program doesn't expand too rapidly.

Hmm... one of the main selling points for me was the small class size (not that 7-12 more students is unreasonable). For the sake of future MM's, I hope that this program doesn't expand too rapidly.

That was probably one of the biggest selling points for me too. I hope this means that they're opening up to MM students in the MD program. I also hope that they are still willing to accept all of the students who perform well in the program.

Cool, thanks for the info.
Did he happen to mention if the Med School class would be getting any bigger as well?
The MD2015 class is 141, and I'm hearing MD2016 is 150.

Let me see what I can find out about the med masters class size increase. That's kinda big news...

That was probably one of the biggest selling points for me too. I hope this means that they're opening up to MM students in the MD program. I also hope that they are still willing to accept all of the students who perform well in the program.
There's no hall at EVMS similar to the hall at Gtown that allows for an SMP class that's the same size as the med school class. Hall capacity was the limiting factor there, and there are 180+ Gtown SMP students and 180+ Gtown M1 students.

At Drexel, they decided it's not important to have the SMP students in the same lecture halls as the med students, so the multitudinous SMP-like programs are massive.

I'll see what I can find out.

Alright, I'm hearing 32 med masters for 2012-2013. Slow growth to the ~40 range is in plan.

Alright, I'm hearing 32 med masters for 2012-2013. Slow growth to the ~40 range is in plan.

Do you think they will increase the number of med masters they will accept to the MD program because of this?

Do you think they will increase the number of med masters they will accept to the MD program because of this?
Yes, in general. But there's never been a quota. Seats aren't reserved for med masters, nor have they needed to be, because the EVMS waitlist moves a lot. All the med masters who can be accepted are accepted.

There's no hall at EVMS similar to the hall at Gtown that allows for an SMP class that's the same size as the med school class. Hall capacity was the limiting factor there, and there are 180+ Gtown SMP students and 180+ Gtown M1 students.

At Drexel, they decided it's not important to have the SMP students in the same lecture halls as the med students, so the multitudinous SMP-like programs are massive.

I'll see what I can find out.

Ahh thanks. Appreciate the new info that there's probably going to be just 32 students in the MM class this upcoming year.

if any incoming med masters are still trying to figure out their housing situation for next year or are looking for a roommate, pm me

Someone in the regular EVMS thread said that they got rejected because they look for "at least 3.4 sGPA and 28MCAT (IS) or 30MCAT (OOS)." I hope that this does not apply as heavily for us MM, right? My sGPA is below 3.4 and my MCAT is exactly 30

Someone in the regular EVMS thread said that they got rejected because they look for "at least 3.4 sGPA and 28MCAT (IS) or 30MCAT (OOS)." I hope that this does not apply as heavily for us MM, right? My sGPA is below 3.4 and my MCAT is exactly 30
You're doing the med masters to address your lower GPA. Right? That's the whole point of it. You'll be evaluated on your performance in the med masters in lieu of being evaluated on your undergrad #s and MCAT.

I think I have a 3.08. I would guess the med masters average is maybe 3.2.

Med masters aside, the alleged response from EVMS posted in pre-allo is something I'll follow up on. That can't be right.

Soybean,

Why would a special masters program that accepts only 32 people out of the hundreds that apply not accept you into their medical school even if you kill it in the program? Clearly they have "pre-screened" you in a way that deems you an acceptable medical student as long as you are able to handle a rigorous medical school environment. Put aside anecdotes and get a handle on logic :). You will be fine.

Just withdrew. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Wow after 7 months I found out today I'm accepted!!!!!! So grateful and excited. Could someone point me towards and pages in this thread that could help me get informed about housing? I don't want to make the mistake of isolating myself too much.

Wow after 7 months I found out today I'm accepted!!!!!! So grateful and excited. Could someone point me towards and pages in this thread that could help me get informed about housing? I don't want to make the mistake of isolating myself too much.
Congrats!

Search this thread for "ghent" for housing parameters. That's also what to search on in norfolk.craigslist.org

Join the facebook group for access to your classmates. See eventmedley.com for some listings.

This is a perfect time to be looking - there are tons of "I need a roommate" messages in the facebook groups right now.

Best of luck to you.

Hey everyone. Where can I get some information about the daily schedule for the MM students? Do we have classes from 9-4 everyday? Or does it vary daily? Also, what's the exam schedule going to be like? Are there quizzes/tests every week? Thanks!

Hey everyone. Where can I get some information about the daily schedule for the MM students? Do we have classes from 9-4 everyday? Or does it vary daily? Also, what's the exam schedule going to be like? Are there quizzes/tests every week? Thanks!
The class schedule varies, but 9-4 is the outside parameter that is never filled in. Meaning: you only rarely will have a full 8 hours full of class.

Usually med masters will have 2-4 lectures per day, 1-2 labs (or seminars) per week, and a small group or two per week.

There's a quiz in the 3rd week, so that you can assess whether you're doing what you need to do to pass exams, and after that, there's an exam about every other week.

Med masters have a fair number of random free days, once every other week or so, when the M1's are doing anatomy/patient/clinical stuff.

There are small projects along the way, such as presenting a paper in med masters seminar, and presenting a disease in physio small group, and contributing to discussions in neuro.

Med masters have a 30+ page paper to write by early April. Topics and mentors are known in October or so. If you're smart, you won't have to use your spring break scrambling to get it done.

Note that the curriculum changes, slightly, every year, so you won't know until school starts what the exact expectations are.

Best of luck to you.

If anyone's got the time or interest, I'd love some help with a few questions I have.

I'm riding low on 3.2 cum. GPA and a 3.1 sci. GPA. Just got my MCAT scores - 33R. I've lived in Virginia Beach all my life and EVMS is my top choice - dad went there, friends are there, and I'm not looking to move out of the area. Heard many great things about the school. Needless to say I'm planning on applying to the Med Masters program the day it opens (Oct. 1) for fall 2013 admission.

My question is this: should I apply to the MD program for this cycle as well? I feel like it is late, not to mention my app. is still being verified. Do I even have a shot with that GPA?

A few additional notes: worked for Sentara since 08, took pre-meds at ODU after graduating from a different university in 09 (non-trad), great LORs from local docs (one who served on EVMS's admin. board).