2023-24 EVMS Medical Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVMS Medical Master's

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any questions about the 1 or 2 year programs at EVMS feel free to ask here! We've also got some former Med Master's that pop in from time to time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I am taking the MCAT in May is that too late to apply? I am trying to see if I can finish my application before then and send in my MCAT score when i get it in june

Hi all, I am taking the MCAT in May is that too late to apply? I am trying to see if I can finish my application before then and send in my MCAT score when i get it in june
Nope that's fine! Once you submit someone will reach out about your MCAT & you can keep them up to date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody! Does anyone know what is the latest date we can submit an mcat score for the 1 year medical masters program? My old score is above the requirement but its from 2019

Just got accepted, does anyone know what is the class size, and how the curriculum has changed for this year?

Just got accepted, does anyone know what is the class size, and how the curriculum has changed for this year?
The curriculum is changing next year, they're abbreviating preclinical for MD students. I'm a former med master, current MD student at EVMS.

Other schools have done it but they're trying to make M1/M2 shorter overall so you can take Step 1 earlier. I don't know if it will change much from a practical point of view as a med master though. Anatomy is going to be a little shorter and they are doing prosections (did that this year too) vs dissection.

Hey there, incoming med masters student (2 year program). I was wondering if you could let me know what it was about your app that helped you matriculate following the program? Also, did you do the 1 or 2 year program? Really hoping I can end up getting a spot following the program.
I was a 1 year student.

For the MM program, the most significant thing is your grades in the program, full stop. It's great to beef up your application, especially if you have some weaker aspects with ECs or something, but most people seem to have those bases covered. While you're at EVMS maybe find 1-2 things you can dedicate a little bit of time to, but it's far less important than your grades, at least for matriculating to EVMS. Most people come in needing a GPA boost more than anything.

MCAT is important too, as a 2 year student. Definitely want to improve it, higher being better obviously. As a 2 year you'll get that opportunity. That opens doors to other schools but EVMS seems to have a "soft" MCAT requirement even for MM students but I think it's more flexibile. Anecdotally you want at least a 507 but that number creeps up every year since MCAT scores overall are trending upward.

I will say that this past year, the MM classes were smaller and a larger percentage of students seemed to get in to EVMS. I know quite a few people who got into other schools as well, from my class and others. Each class also has a few MM students from earlier classes, you go back into the "big" applicant pool but I still think they look on your app a little more favorably, you're just compared against more applicants.

but the big things you can control more than anything are GPA and MCAT, GPA being the most important by far.

will say that this past year, the MM classes were smaller and a larger percentage of students seemed to get in to EVMS.
I am sorry but this is just not true. I was in the previous 1 yr MM class and can tell you that only 18ish people got accepted from both the 2- and 1- year cohort. Last year, they accepted around 29 if I recall correctly. So yes, MM class sizes are going down, but so are the acceptances. It's not like they are accepting a larger percentage of MMs from it.

I also want to note that only 8 out of 30 in-state people got in, and 10 out of 12 OOS people got in. And some of the OOS students had lower GPAs than some in the in-state group that were not accepted. Throughout the year, the MM program director said that she believes 30 MM students will be accepted this year but clearly that was not the case. She also said that they have reserved a few seats for the MMs so that they don't "repeat what happened the year before," which was clearly a lie. Unfortunately it's not her fault as adcoms will not communicate with her properly, which to me sounds like adcoms don't really care about MMs.

This Master's program is dying and I am glad that it is. It's very broken and needs a complete rehaul, like a guaranteed acceptance policy or even a conditional acceptance based on your final grades. But no, if you don't get in during the first wave of acceptances, you just get put in the waitlist with every other non-MM applicant after your final exam. They don't care about you, period.

I am sorry but this is just not true. I was in the previous 1 yr MM class and can tell you that only 18ish people got accepted from both the 2- and 1- year cohort. Last year, they accepted around 29 if I recall correctly. So yes, MM class sizes are going down, but so are the acceptances. It's not like they are accepting a larger percentage of MMs from it.

I also want to note that only 8 out of 30 in-state people got in, and 10 out of 12 OOS people got in. And some of the OOS students had lower GPAs than some in the in-state group that were not accepted. Throughout the year, the MM program director said that she believes 30 MM students will be accepted this year but clearly that was not the case. She also said that they have reserved a few seats for the MMs so that they don't "repeat what happened the year before," which was clearly a lie. Unfortunately it's not her fault as adcoms will not communicate with her properly, which to me sounds like adcoms don't really care about MMs.

This Master's program is dying and I am glad that it is. It's very broken and needs a complete rehaul, like a guaranteed acceptance policy or even a conditional acceptance based on your final grades. But no, if you don't get in during the first wave of acceptances, you just get put in the waitlist with every other non-MM applicant after your final exam. They don't care about you, period.
In 2021, 29 students from the graduating class were accepted to EVMS. In 2022, again 29 students were accepted to EVMS. Historically at least half of the class has entered EVMS the following year.

Reactions: 1 users
In 2021, 29 students from the graduating class were accepted to EVMS. In 2022, again 29 students were accepted to EVMS. Historically at least half of the class has entered EVMS the following year.
Thanks for repeating what I said about the 2022 cycle. But can you share your 2023 acceptance numbers if I am wrong?