Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know if the waitlist moves a lot? i got waitlisted today =/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any update on how the remaining 5 from the 2013 class are doing with acceptances?

Hey folks, I'm retiring from commentary on the EVMS med masters. The program I did in '10-'11 has changed enough that my experience/advice is no longer relevant. <edit> I've spent a completely ridiculously huge amount of time in this thread, and I need that time to spend on other things, ie the 2nd year of med school.</edit>

Things that haven't changed: EVMS is an accredited US MD school with a stated and demonstrated passion for community service, and match lists that hold up well under scrutiny. The student body is friendly and supportive, and is frequently inspiring. The faculty, on average, is open and available and works very hard. I personally have high career aspirations and have found tremendous support and encouragement within EVMS. There are no obstacles before me that aren't mine to overcome. None of this goodness is denied to the med masters during their graduate work at EVMS. All of the commentary in this thread about Ghent and Virginia residency considerations and cost of attendance is still valid.

But what you all come to this thread to figure out is this: exactly how likely is it that I will get into med school, either at EVMS or another US MD school, immediately after completing the EVMS MM program? The answer to this question used to be very clear. It is no longer clear. I suggest that past results should not be viewed as predictive. EVMS MM students will continue to get into EVMS MD in bulk. EVMS MM students will continue to get into other US MD schools in bulk. Whether you will be one of those EVMS MM students is not a function of getting an EVMS MM acceptance. It's much more complex than that. End of story.

I strongly recommend starting a new EVMS MM thread. This one is historical.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I suggest that past results should not be viewed as predictive. EVMS MM students will continue to get into EVMS MD in bulk. EVMS MM students will continue to get into other US MD schools in bulk. Whether you will be one of those EVMS MM students is not a function of getting an EVMS MM acceptance. It's much more complex than that. End of story.

In your opinion, what has changed so much since when you attended? Why are things no longer clear, and why is this thread now historical?
Thanks

Hey folks, I'm retiring from commentary on the EVMS med masters. The program I did in '10-'11 has changed enough that my experience/advice is no longer relevant. <edit> I've spent a completely ridiculously huge amount of time in this thread, and I need that time to spend on other things, ie the 2nd year of med school.</edit>

Things that haven't changed: EVMS is an accredited US MD school with a stated and demonstrated passion for community service, and match lists that hold up well under scrutiny. The student body is friendly and supportive, and is frequently inspiring. The faculty, on average, is open and available and works very hard. I personally have high career aspirations and have found tremendous support and encouragement within EVMS. There are no obstacles before me that aren't mine to overcome. None of this goodness is denied to the med masters during their graduate work at EVMS. All of the commentary in this thread about Ghent and Virginia residency considerations and cost of attendance is still valid.

But what you all come to this thread to figure out is this: exactly how likely is it that I will get into med school, either at EVMS or another US MD school, immediately after completing the EVMS MM program? The answer to this question used to be very clear. It is no longer clear. I suggest that past results should not be viewed as predictive. EVMS MM students will continue to get into EVMS MD in bulk. EVMS MM students will continue to get into other US MD schools in bulk. Whether you will be one of those EVMS MM students is not a function of getting an EVMS MM acceptance. It's much more complex than that. End of story.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks Dr.Midlife. All your advices have been very helpful.

In your opinion, what has changed so much since when you attended? Why are things no longer clear, and why is this thread now historical?
Thanks

I am just purely speculating but in the past as long as you did well in MM you were able to get into EVMS since the class was a lot smaller. Your performance in the program determined whether you got into EVMS. Now they are expanding the class size, I think they have gotten more selective about choosing who gets into EVMS. Maybe some people from last year's class did well in the program but didn't get in because other parts of their application were weaker to other students in the program and people who are on the EVMS wait list. I hope I am wrong and I hope they will still accept good chunk of MM students into EVMS.

Ok that's what I thought. I feel like Dr Mid may know something from the inside that we do not, and I am curious what it may be. Does anyone know what the finalized class size is? Possibly it went past the 50 that was being discussed.

I think what Dr. Midlife was referring to is that the class size as of right now is about 75. This program is no longer guaranteed acceptance based on doing well in the program. Everyone should apply broadly because there are no guarantees. There are 4.0 students who did not get in this cycle so its not just about doing well in the program so everyone be warned.

On a lighter note, I still need a place to live and I can't get down there (here in boston currently) until school basically starts. Anyone still looking for a roommate? Well adjusted white kid here.

Reactions: 1 user
Just accepted off Albany's waitlist, so will be with drawling from the med master's. Hope it goes to one of you!

This just recently occurred to me and I figured someone on here might know - Is it heard of or possible for med masters students who continue on to EVMS for med school to still complete the program within 4 yrs (including med masters) since they don't have to repeat the majority of first year classes. And is there such thing as summer classes at EVMS?

This just recently occurred to me and I figured someone on here might know - Is it heard of or possible for med masters students who continue on to EVMS for med school to still complete the program within 4 yrs (including med masters) since they don't have to repeat the majority of first year classes. And is there such thing as summer classes at EVMS?

As of now, that's not possible. There also may be some changes ahead that allow former medical master students to opt out of only one course per semester during their first year (that's not official, but the conversation is definitely taking place).

EVMS offers summer research after 1st year, but not summer coursework. Following second year, school is pretty much year-round, so I guess you could consider that summer coursework.

I think what Dr. Midlife was referring to is that the class size as of right now is about 75. This program is no longer guaranteed acceptance based on doing well in the program. Everyone should apply broadly because there are no guarantees. There are 4.0 students who did not get in this cycle so its not just about doing well in the program so everyone be warned.

that bold is hard to believe. I mean you need a 27 to get into the EVMS MM program. One would think a person would a 4.0 post bac gpa and at least a 27 mcat would land somewhere in a US MD school if they applied early and broad.

Are they are 2013 EVMS MM people who can shed light on the current status of EVMS?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I really want to get into the evms medical master's program and then hopefully get into the medical school. Do you think I can make it?

My stats are as follows:
senior at small liberal arts school in VA
Dual Degree: BS in Biochem and molecular biology, BS in business administration with concentration in management.
GPA: 3.16, science: 2.88 (hoping these will go up a little this fall)
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
World pediatric project internship
2 summers and 2 semesters of biochem research at my university
and leadership in 2 clubs

I will be taking the mcat for the first time in January but I'm hoping to earn a 30 at least. Any guidance you can provide will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

forgot to say that I am also a Hampton roads resident which may be significant