Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found this post from the EVMS Allopathic thread:
Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!
For those who complete the Medical Masters program, do these numbers still apply?
I'm pretty sure that post was copied here before, but I can't find it.

Historically people only get into the med masters if they are in an acceptable state for EVMS MD. And if they don't screw up, they get an EVMS MD seat.

With the med masters class size increase, we have no idea what the EVMS MD acceptance rate will be, but the admissions policies for the med masters program haven't changed. You don't get into the med masters program unless you're a good candidate for EVMS MD.

Regardless, in my experience, the med masters who struggle, and are constantly miserable, seem to be those who nickel&dime their MCAT scores and don't see the problem with not having mastered standardized tests. I honestly don't see a point in starting med school before you break 30 on the MCAT, because med school is nothing but a series of wicked hard multiple choice exams on vast quantities of material. Breaking 30 before med school is like learning to swim before you parachute into an ocean.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that post was copied here before, but I can't find it.

Historically people only get into the med masters if they are in an acceptable state for EVMS MD. And if they don't screw up, they get an EVMS MD seat.

With the med masters class size increase, we have no idea what the EVMS MD acceptance rate will be, but the admissions policies for the med masters program haven't changed. You don't get into the med masters program unless you're a good candidate for EVMS MD.

Regardless, in my experience, the med masters who struggle, and are constantly miserable, seem to be those who nickel&dime their MCAT scores and don't see the problem with not having mastered standardized tests. I honestly don't see a point in starting med school before you break 30 on the MCAT, because med school is nothing but a series of wicked hard multiple choice exams on vast quantities of material. Breaking 30 before med school is like learning to swim before you parachute into an ocean.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks! I just found the post where someone else asked the same question about four pages back from here (when threads get this long, I start reading them backwards because posts from this year are going to be more relevant than those from 2006), which was just one page further back than I had initially ventured!

While I can certainly understand the sentiment that a 30 is a nice score to break, the average MCAT acceptance numbers at my state schools range between 27-29. People from my state have historically under-performed on standardized tests, but I don't think schools out of my state could give a rat's behind.

Regardless, I've been studying hard trying to break that 30!

Now that AMCAS is opening in a little over one week, I am sure that many of us are thinking hard about which schools to apply to during the SMP year. I have heard talk that besides EVMS and your home state schools, they also advise schools with similar types of programs. Additionally, they recently posted some schools on the website where program grads have gained acceptances. Maybe a mixture of some of these into the pool would be good as well? An acceptance from any school means they both heard of and like the program. I am coming up with my list now and wanted to know some opinions on applying to certain schools. The schools that I am about go list have similar masters programs, but I am not sure they are viewed the same as an EVMS, GT, UCin, Toledo, RFU, Drexel, etc...

Loyola
BU
VCU
TCMC
Tufts
Tulane

If you were in my shoes, would you apply to these schools while completing the MM at EVMS? I hate to say this, but I even have to question applying to GT MD, their SMP sends several students to EVMS MD, but is the opposite true?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that AMCAS is opening in a little over one week, I am sure that many of us are thinking hard about which schools to apply to during the SMP year. I have heard talk that besides EVMS and your home state schools, they also advise schools with similar types of programs. Additionally, they recently posted some schools on the website where program grads have gained acceptances. Maybe a mixture of some of these into the pool would be good as well? An acceptance from any school means they both heard of and like the program. I am coming up with my list now and wanted to know some opinions on applying to certain schools. The schools that I am about go list have similar masters programs, but I am not sure they are viewed the same as an EVMS, GT, UCin, Toledo, RFU, Drexel, etc...

Loyola
BU
VCU
TCMC
Tufts
Tulane

If you were in my shoes, would you apply to these schools while completing the MM at EVMS? I hate to say this, but I even have to question applying to GT MD, their SMP sends several students to EVMS MD, but is the opposite true?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!
The list published on the EVMS site about where MM students have gone includes people who didn't go to med school. Specifically, there's no UCSF MD acceptance in the MM history - that's a PhD student.

Consider avoiding schools that get ridiculously high numbers of apps, such as more than 10k. These schools can't possibly spend enough time with your app before they reject you on formula, assuming you have GPA damage. You have better odds with a "prestigious" school that gets fewer apps.

In the past it didn't make any sense to apply to schools that are tier-comparable to EVMS (RFU, NYMC, Albany, etc), if you would go to EVMS before you would go to the other tier-comparable school. But with the EVMS class size increase, I think one of 2 strategies needs to be taken:
1. Go nuts, apply to as many schools as possible on 6/1/13, and be assertive all year long with updates to those schools.
2. Finish EVMS MM before you apply to med school. This means you are choosing a stronger overall AMCAS over the advantage of an EVMS interview.

Lastly, don't throw money away by applying to schools you won't get into, such as public schools that don't take students from your state. The OOS numbers in the MSAR may show a regional preference.

Best of luck to you.

I guess I will have a better strategic idea when EVMS MM students start getting their acceptances to EVMS over the next few weeks. Hopefully the 80%+ rate continues.

I guess I will have a better strategic idea when EVMS MM students start getting their acceptances to EVMS over the next few weeks. Hopefully the 80%+ rate continues.
The current MM class will start getting accepted off the EVMS MD waitlist after graduation May 18, but you won't know the percentage until August. Also, with 40 students in the current class, it's now too big for full fidelity tracking of who gets in where - we probably won't have a tally minute-by-minute.

Same, it would be great to know how many of the current Med Masters students are getting into EVMS MD in the next month or so off the waitlist. I was recently accepted to the EVMS Medical Masters program for this Fall and am an IS applicant. A big draw for me for this program over others I have been accepted to was the high rate of matriculation into the MD program.

Some new info for our upcoming class is available on the website. It appears that they have added courses in Evidence Based Medicine and Presentation Skills/Professional Knowledge to the curriculum. Does this mean we are doing six (versus 7) medical school classes?

Some new info for our upcoming class is available on the website. It appears that they have added courses in Evidence Based Medicine and Presentation Skills/Professional Knowledge to the curriculum. Does this mean we are doing six (versus 7) medical school classes?
Here's what I understand:

MM14's gain: anatomy prosection course
MM14's lose: the embryo component of the M1 anatomy course
Net benefit: MM14's will no longer have trouble in neuroscience in the spring because they didn't learn the nervous system anatomy yet
Net impact of "losing" embryo as a sit-with-M1's class: you're not losing anything that other med schools will give half a crap about. MM-to-EVMS-MD students had to repeat embryo regardless.

MM14's gain: two courses that replace the fall seminar and (apparently) the spring paper
MM14's lose: (apparently) the library thesis requirement
Note that MM14's will get to work with standardized patients. This might be a unique thing among SMPs: clinical training.

These changes probably look dramatic from outside EVMS, but from inside they look fairly conservative and thoughtful. The actual dramatic change is the class size increase.

People accepted to, waitlisted at, or considering the med masters program should read the website updates in detail. True for all SMPs, not just EVMS. Be a smart consumer.

Best of luck to you.

Here's what I understand:

MM14's gain: anatomy prosection course
MM14's lose: the embryo component of the M1 anatomy course
Net benefit: MM14's will no longer have trouble in neuroscience in the spring because they didn't learn the nervous system anatomy yet
Net impact of "losing" embryo as a sit-with-M1's class: you're not losing anything that other med schools will give half a crap about. MM-to-EVMS-MD students had to repeat embryo regardless.

MM14's gain: two courses that replace the fall seminar and (apparently) the spring paper
MM14's lose: (apparently) the library thesis requirement
Note that MM14's will get to work with standardized patients. This might be a unique thing among SMPs: clinical training.

These changes probably look dramatic from outside EVMS, but from inside they look fairly conservative and thoughtful. The actual dramatic change is the class size increase.

People accepted to, waitlisted at, or considering the med masters program should read the website updates in detail. True for all SMPs, not just EVMS. Be a smart consumer.

Best of luck to you.

It sounds like they are expecting some students to apply after finishing the program? Maybe I am reading too much into it.

It sounds like they are expecting some students to apply after finishing the program? Maybe I am reading too much into it.
You're reading too much into it. EVMS assumes you're hellbent to start med school after the med masters.

The class that includes interview prep will at least be finished before you have your EVMS MD interview, and will probably be finished before you have other interviews. It's normal for other med schools to wait for your first semester grades before they review your file. MM's do interviews well into March/April at other schools.

The class description makes it sound like all that learnin' is just to get you ready to interview. Fun fact: the stuff med schools care about in interviews? It actually matters, long term.

Best of luck to you.

It seems as though the 3-credit hour courses are very team oriented. I wonder how these classes will turn out.

Application complete: 5/2
Accepted: 5/7

Unless things change, I'll be coming here next year.

Is anyone looking for a roommate? :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In order to get into EVMS medical school directly after EVMS's SMP, do you need to be in top 10% or 20% or 50% of your SMP class? I know from from first hand knowledge that for GeorgeTown's SMP you need to be in top 10-15% of your SMP class to get in. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

In order to get into EVMS medical school directly after EVMS's SMP, do you need to be in top 10% or 20% or 50% of your SMP class? I know from from first hand knowledge that for GeorgeTown's SMP you need to be in top 10-15% of your SMP class to get in. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
EVMS and Gtown are completely different in this regard. But understand that there is only one SMP (Temple) that offers anything like a guaranteed linkage. If you get into an SMP you're in for the hardest work of your life and you still have to earn your way into med school.

Gtown's med school class is 180+ and their SMP class is 180+. Gtown is not designed, at all, as a Gtown MD feeder program.

The EVMS med masters program is very much a feeder program for EVMS MD, and grads also get into other MD schools during the SMP year or later. EVMS MD currently has 146 students and the MM program has 40 students. Next year's MD class is expected to be 150 and the MM class is expected to be 50.

Recent history:

MM10: 16 out of 23 students are now at EVMS MD. 13 started EVMS MD right after. 5 started at another US MD school right after. 1 dropped out and joined the next MM class. For the other 4, that didn't start med school right after, 2 are now at EVMS MD, 1 is at a DO school, and 1 is in the Carib.

MM11: 17 out of 23 students are now at EVMS MD. 17 got accepted at EVMS MD: 16 started right after, 1 deferred to the next MD class. 5 started at another US MD school right after. 1 is in PA school.

MM12: 22 out of 28 students. 22 started EVMS MD right after. I don't have info on the rest.

MM13: 40 students. 2 got acceptances at other schools and dropped out midway. 2 others (that I know of) have acceptances at other schools but are hoping for EVMS MD acceptances. EVMS MD acceptances for this MM class won't start until May 20 and will drag out into August.

Best of luck to you.

The 2014 AMCAS opened today. I am adding in the EVMS MM courses now. Would it be correct to list them under the "Biology" course classification and as all "Lecture only" courses?

All are biology.

Courses with lecture plus lab: OSS, the new Anatomy, and neuro. 514, 517, 518.

Make sure to mark them as future, no transcript required.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. The website says OSS is 517; 519 is the presentation skills course.

fixed my post.
mmcurric.jpg

Note: every year, the exact specific details of what goes on your AMCAS vs. the reality when you get to EVMS are not high fidelity. It's future coursework. It's not something to lose your mind over whether it's 100% correct.

Things that are much more interesting than your AMCAS details for future coursework:
1. Dr. Meyer's letter in August that explains the EVMS MM.
2. Your fall transcript.
3. Dr. Meyer's letter in January that explains your EVMS MM performance.

You need to be very proactive in getting those assets to your med schools.

Note that you need to participate in activities during fall semester if you want Dr. Meyer to have anything interesting to say about you. You will be whacked mercilessly, from day one, with opportunities to do activities - ignore them at your peril.

Bets of luck to you.

Another reason why I chose EVMS. We are all here because we are borderline applicants, which makes volunteer work and community service even more important. Not only does it add to the application in terms of volume but it adds to the "human" aspect as well.

For AMCAS when putting in information for EVMS, it asks for name and program type. For the name, should I put EVMS or EVMS - Graduate Studies? For the program type, should I put Graduate or Postbaccalaureate Undergraduate?

For AMCAS when putting in information for EVMS, it asks for name and program type. For the name, should I put EVMS or EVMS - Graduate Studies? For the program type, should I put Graduate or Postbaccalaureate Undergraduate?

It's a masters-degree-granting program. Which isn't undergrad. (Fun fact, however: med school is technically undergrad. But that's not the point.)

Can you guys read back to previous years and get the answers to these questions? If you look at those older conversations you'll get the context of what matters and what doesn't.

fixed my post.
mmcurric.jpg

Is clinical anatomy a new class? Or did there used to be an anatomy class in fall quarter? If it's new, do you think having histology and anatomy is going to make it significantly more challenging?

Come on now. If you look at more than the pictures you'll see the answers.

Dr Mid-
First, thanks for constantly informing and helping the masses, your little screenshot helped a lot as I was filling out my amcas information. On another note I start the MM program in august and have some annoyingly generic questions. How difficult is the program? How difficult is the program when compared to the M1 students at EVMS? Do the MM kids become friends with med students also, or just kind of stick together in a pack of MM's? Lastly, I'm going to enjoy this last summer of freedom, but is there any preparation I should do before school starts or should I just jump in feet first once I get there? Anyways, I'm just excited. Thanks!

How difficult is the program?
It's med school. It's like eating oatmeal from a firehose. Assume there will be recurring days-long pre-exam periods of abject misery during which you pay the consequences for not learning discipline earlier. :) This is true for the med students too. If you don't know about this yet, spend some time there seeing what you're in for.

The sucky parts can be overwhelming if you don't keep an eye out for the not-sucky parts. Most people are in their early 20's or are otherwise at peak fabulousness, so it's not hard to find the not-sucky parts.
How difficult is the program when compared to the M1 students at EVMS?
It's exactly the same as what the M1's do, for CSF, OSS, IMN, OSF & Neuro, which is the bulk of your time and work. MM's have about 3 classes that the M1's don't have, and vice versa.

The med masters are under considerably more pressure than the M1's to get high scores. M1's just have to pass. Med masters who want to get into EVMS MD (and/or get a high GPA in the program) have to do better than just pass. MM's are auditioning; M1's already got the job. M1 grades are pass, high pass and honors, which don't nicely correlate with the letter grading the MM's are on. You will agonize over this and live in fear of what this means, which will only have a negative effect on your scores.

Most med masters who are consistent and work their heinies off and take it seriously do really well.
Do the MM kids become friends with med students also, or just kind of stick together in a pack of MM's?
Yes, both. It's quite difficult to tell, from looking, who is a med masters and who is a med student, and both classes are big enough now that you can't know everybody. (Seriously. Today I definitely saw 2 people I swear I've never seen before.) Study groups coalesce and divide without much concern for who is MM or M1.

Whatever you're interested in, whether it's social events or student leadership or medical clubs or the student-run free clinic, med masters are as involved as anybody. And then the following year, the M1's who were med masters are in charge of a lot of stuff.

So there's plenty of mixing, and the med masters also cluster up together to commiserate and neuroticize and share rumors.
Lastly, I'm going to enjoy this last summer of freedom, but is there any preparation I should do before school starts or should I just jump in feet first once I get there?
The only good advice I ever heard on this question is to work on nutrition and exercise. Those are things that will help sustain you through the year. The academic work isn't really something you can prepare for. I do recommend reading Emperor of All Maladies and as much Gawande as possible - these pay off big time.

What else?

The Checklist Manifesto? Amazing read, it will change your life.

Hey y'all,

Just chiming in to say that I was accepted on 5/7. I believe my app was complete around 4/30. EVMS is definitely at the top of my list, since I'm looking to join a program that has a strong history of students matriculating into the school's MD program without a lag year.

P.S. Thank you to DrMidLife for being such a helpful resource in this forum.

Does anyone know if the classes are taken on a block schedule or if they are all taken simultaneously?

Does anyone know if the classes are taken on a block schedule or if they are all taken simultaneously?

EVMS isn't a block schedule. There's a bit of integration between the classes, but not a significant amount. Fairly old-fashioned. We even use real microscopes.

I got into the MM program with a 28 MCAT (V8/BS9/PS11). How much will this hinder me for the EVMS MD program (or other MD programs) that follows the MM year? Should I retake it this summer before starting evms mm (July ish)? I'll be doing AMCAS in June as well...but with a 28 i'll be cutting it pretty thin. i haven't been able to schedule another MCAT until this summer because of the school year :/

I got into the MM program with a 28 MCAT (V8/BS9/PS11). How much will this hinder me for the EVMS MD program (or other MD programs) that follows the MM year? Should I retake it this summer before starting evms mm (July ish)? I'll be doing AMCAS in June as well...but with a 28 i'll be cutting it pretty thin. i haven't been able to schedule another MCAT until this summer because of the school year :/

Yeah, you should get a higher MCAT if you can. Historically, getting into the MM program means you're in an acceptable state for EVMS MD. But the MM class size increase means you need as much going for you as possible. And a 28 isn't going to help you at other schools at all.

The danger here is that with the majority of MCAT retakes, people get the same score or lower. If you get lower than a 28, you will substantially hurt your chances at any med school. So if you're not doing significant work to improve that 28, then you should not retake.

I wouldn't hold up AMCAS for a new MCAT score. Submit the new score as an update to your schools. But get the MCAT done before the MM program starts August 12.

Best of luck to you.

I do know someone who took the MCAT a total of 4 times, did an SMP and is now at a very respectable private medical school. He had some GPA damage with a huge upward trend and phenomenal clinical exposure. I think one thing that worked to his favor was that he never went down on an MCAT. If memory serves, his scores were something like this:

8 PS 5 VR 10 BS = 23
10 PS 6 VR 12 BS = 28
10 PS 10 VR 8 BS = 28
10 PS 10 VR 10 BS = 30

Just apply early and realistically. The vast majority of schools do rolling admissions. I look at that policy this way for a borderline applicant:

"It's early August and even though this applicant is off by a few pts on MCAT and GPA, they have a great essay, experience, and trend. They really want to be a doc and since we haven't interviewed too many applicants yet, lets give this one a chance."

"It's late November, wow I really like this applicant. Unfortunately, we have accepted several interview rounds worth of students and plan to interview many more applicants with better numbers who were able to get their application in earlier."

It's all in timing, adcoms can be less selective and more open minded in the mid summer than they can in the late fall.

Yeah, you should get a higher MCAT if you can. Historically, getting into the MM program means you're in an acceptable state for EVMS MD. But the MM class size increase means you need as much going for you as possible. And a 28 isn't going to help you at other schools at all.

The danger here is that with the majority of MCAT retakes, people get the same score or lower. If you get lower than a 28, you will substantially hurt your chances at any med school. So if you're not doing significant work to improve that 28, then you should not retake.

I wouldn't hold up AMCAS for a new MCAT score. Submit the new score as an update to your schools. But get the MCAT done before the MM program starts August 12.

Best of luck to you.

Isn't it bad if you don't list intent on your AMCAS to take, say, an August 2013 administration? Because what I'm inferring from your response is to send your MCAT scores with the pre-existing score on it to get your AMCAS processed ASAP, and then when the score comes Sept 2013, to send it as an update and change your AMCAS then. Would schools look down on that, or would they not even notice?

Also, I was thinking schools might wait for your 2nd MCAT to be processed because if I sign up for an Aug 2013 test now, when I send my scores they might see a pending exam and process my AMCAS late anyway.

I think honesty & transparency are good. If you have a 28, you SHOULD be planning a retake. That's just proactive and it won't raise a single eyebrow. From a sub-30 you should be worried that hours-long standardized exams will kill your specialty choices, down the road.

A school can decide to interpret a planned MCAT retake as meaningless or as meaningful depending on their policy for holding apps for review. There isn't a standard. But a 28 with a low GPA isn't generally going to be held for an MCAT score except at your home state public schools with powerful in-state preference.

EVMS won't look at a med master app at all until spring.

The only damage you can do to yourself is to get a lower score. How you report your plans on AMCAS is fairly neutral here. Dr. Meyer gets nervous when he sees retakes planned because then he has to deal with a MM student with a 25 who can no longer realistically get an EVMS MD acceptance.

Best of luck to you.

Dr.Midlife,

I was going through the thread and you mentioned that it might be good to submit secondaries when EVMS sends out LOR's in August. So if we submit our primaries in June, we should wait until August to turn secondaries in? I have been told previously that it is good to turn in secondaries within a week you received them.

Dr.Midlife,

I was going through the thread and you mentioned that it might be good to submit secondaries when EVMS sends out LOR's in August. So if we submit our primaries in June, we should wait until August to turn secondaries in? I have been told previously that it is good to turn in secondaries within a week you received them.

Dr. Meyer does a letter in August explaining the program. That letter doesn't improve your chances with med schools any - it just explains what you're doing academically and why the med masters program is a great audition for med school. Basically it helps med schools understand that if they put your app in the hold pile, that there's a good reason for it to be there until January. There are some schools who will do this, no problem. There are other schools that won't. I don't have a list.

Now, if you were really close to getting accepted this year, such as if you were waitlisted, then you shouldn't wait to get those secondaries done. Don't lose the early advantage, and just being enrolled in an SMP, for those who were almost accepted, is a bona fide app boost - it shows commitment to the process and a willingness to do more hard work. You can explain the EVMS MM program in the secondary, and then when you get Dr. Meyer's letter, that's an update that goes out to your schools.

Also: Interfolio. Definitely the thing to do if you're applying widely. Which you probably should be.

Best of luck to you.

So it's better to hold off on submitting secondaries until that August letter goes out?

The only damage you can do to yourself is to get a lower score. How you report your plans on AMCAS is fairly neutral here. Dr. Meyer gets nervous when he sees retakes planned because then he has to deal with a MM student with a 25 who can no longer realistically get an EVMS MD acceptance.

Dr. Meyer getting nervous from a retake that lowered someone's most recent score to a 25?

I applied late last year with no interviews. Guess I'll be waiting until that August letter goes out.

Dr Mid-
I got into the MM program a while back (I've previously mentioned that but just in case). To be honest with you, I am nervous as heck. I'm confident I can do the program and leave with a minimum of 3.5 if not higher . . . basically I know I can get A's and succeed. I'm not nervous of failing, but what does make me uneasy is the "trust" that we have to have that doing this will get us into EVMS (or some equivalent MD elsewhere). Especially since the class size is increasing this year I am scared that I could end up more in debt and still in the same situation. This is such a massive financial investment and I will be devastated if the program doesn't "do" what it is supposed to. Any advice? Or anything you can say to solidify my decision to do this program. It would be greatly appreciated. How do I trust the program? haha ok thank you

Dr Mid-
I got into the MM program a while back (I've previously mentioned that but just in case). To be honest with you, I am nervous as heck. I'm confident I can do the program and leave with a minimum of 3.5 if not higher . . . basically I know I can get A's and succeed. I'm not nervous of failing, but what does make me uneasy is the "trust" that we have to have that doing this will get us into EVMS (or some equivalent MD elsewhere). Especially since the class size is increasing this year I am scared that I could end up more in debt and still in the same situation. This is such a massive financial investment and I will be devastated if the program doesn't "do" what it is supposed to. Any advice? Or anything you can say to solidify my decision to do this program. It would be greatly appreciated. How do I trust the program? haha ok thank you

This is a completely reasonable question.

That said, I just took a biochem final, and I have a physio shelf on Friday, so I can't concentrate. Or I'd make a flow chart to help you think about all the elements in this decision.

For the time being, I'd suggest looking at the results for the MM10 class, that I posted a few days ago. 100% are in med school. Not all of them made it through the MM10 class. Not all of them started right after completing the MM program. Not all of them got into a US MD school. But they're all in med school. Similarly, in the MM11 class, you have 22 out of 23 now in a US MD school, and one in PA school. As far as I'm concerned, those results are still relevant as the EVMS MM class size increases. Your worst case is that you realize during the MM program that you can't handle med school. Not a worst case: you don't start med school immediately after completing an SMP. You can disagree with me on this, of course. (When you're my age you'll roll your eyes at yourself, but you don't have to agree with me now.)

I suggest looking at your realistic odds for getting into your home state public school(s), as you're considering debt load. If you're from a state that has schools with total COA under $200k, that's worth prioritizing over OOS COA at EVMS which is currently about $320k. If you're from VA, then EVMS is not much more expensive than other VA schools, at around $225k. With any debt load over about $200k, whichever decision maximizes your chances for a minimized total debt load is the best decision, I think.

I've written elsewhere that a GPA redemption path can't be scheduled, and it can't be budgeted, and it can't necessarily be staged in your home state. But by taking the strong expensive risky step of doing an SMP, such as the EVMS MM program, you're off the fence. You're going to med school, unless you find you can't handle the academics or have a personality disorder, in which case you shouldn't go to med school.

Good enough for now? Let me get through finals and then I might be able to do a better outline of all this.

Best of luck to you.

This is a completely reasonable question.

That said, I just took a biochem final, and I have a physio shelf on Friday, so I can't concentrate. Or I'd make a flow chart to help you think about all the elements in this decision.

For the time being, I'd suggest looking at the results for the MM10 class, that I posted a few days ago. 100% are in med school. Not all of them made it through the MM10 class. Not all of them started right after completing the MM program. Not all of them got into a US MD school. But they're all in med school. Similarly, in the MM11 class, you have 22 out of 23 now in a US MD school, and one in PA school. As far as I'm concerned, those results are still relevant as the EVMS MM class size increases. Your worst case is that you realize during the MM program that you can't handle med school. Not a worst case: you don't start med school immediately after completing an SMP. You can disagree with me on this, of course. (When you're my age you'll roll your eyes at yourself, but you don't have to agree with me now.)

I suggest looking at your realistic odds for getting into your home state public school(s), as you're considering debt load. If you're from a state that has schools with total COA under $200k, that's worth prioritizing over OOS COA at EVMS which is currently about $320k. If you're from VA, then EVMS is not much more expensive than other VA schools, at around $225k. With any debt load over about $200k, whichever decision maximizes your chances for a minimized total debt load is the best decision, I think.

I've written elsewhere that a GPA redemption path can't be scheduled, and it can't be budgeted, and it can't necessarily be staged in your home state. But by taking the strong expensive risky step of doing an SMP, such as the EVMS MM program, you're off the fence. You're going to med school, unless you find you can't handle the academics or have a personality disorder, in which case you shouldn't go to med school.

Good enough for now? Let me get through finals and then I might be able to do a better outline of all this.

Best of luck to you.

Yes! Outlines are great! Go pass med school then if you feel like it get back to me. If not, your advice was still good, luckily it was what I wanted to hear.
Thanks