Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, EVMS is definitely taking more competitive students it seems like, probably in an attempt to give the program a bigger name. I think it's worth pointing out that no school is the same when it comes to interviewing and accepting applicants. While it's true that some schools might overlook current coursework, others will see it and take some interest. This year, I got an interview invite from my state school 7 days after sending them my first semester transcript, and one of the first questions my interviewer asked was: "So, I see you're doing this program in Virginia... tell me about it." At the very least, it lets schools know that you're willing to put in the time/effort.

@akim: I've heard good things about U Washington. Are you from Washington or one of the other WWAMI states?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know how much class is going to expand? Do you think it is still recommended to apply to medical school during SMP year especially with people that don't have border line to medical school stats?
I think next year's class is expected to be around 50 (more or less). The aim is to expand it by roughly 10 students each year for the foreseeable future. As for when you apply to medical school, the program was traditionally designed for most students to apply during the SMP year. That would be a good question for Dr. Meyer, though.

Is anyone aware of someone who TOOK a glide year? (applying after EVMS program)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone aware of someone who TOOK a glide year? (applying after EVMS program)
It hasn't been intentionally done, not yet. 5% to 20% of the MM students don't get off the EVMS MD waitlist between May and August, and many apply again the next year or 2 years later. It would be fairly stunning if an MM grad who reapplied didn't get an EVMS MD interview - that would require some bad behavior or very poor grades. In my experience, MM students who have to go away and come back are treated really well by EVMS, myself included.

As I mentioned a few dozen posts back, the current structure of the MM program includes an EVMS MD interview. A student who shows up and simply says "I'm not applying this year, and I'd like your support in being interviewed by EVMS MD next year as an MM grad" would almost undoubtedly do fine. Somebody just needs to be the first to ask. Dr. Meyer has always been supportive of people applying elsewhere during the MM year; applying afterward changes the flow, but not the point, of all of this.

Best of luck to you.

Daedalus and Immunorocks and other 2009 MM grads, who were incredibly helpful in this thread, are matching into their residencies today. I can't quite believe I get to watch this happen. Check out the EVMS website for pictures later today.

I like this thread layout the best where all the years are in one big thread rather than 2011-2012, 2012-2013, etc. The dates & seasonal posting separate the class years just fine. The nice thing is that if you have a question, you get a bigger audience of past members who subscribed to the thread and are now medical students. It's easier to keep track of one thread.

I found out last week that I was accepted, and I will be attending the program. From all of the different information I have read about these programs, it is pretty clear that if someone is insisting on getting into a US MD school, with no particular preference on which school, then this is probably the best program in the entire country. In addition to the success rate, I was absolutely floored by how supportive and helpful the admissions office was. I invite anyone to kindly correct me, but my initial impressions are that this is a program who accepts people with an outstanding shot of being accepted to their medical school, while making the MD application process one in which they figuratively "hold your hand" and support you more than anywhere else. I have heard horror stories about GT and how the size makes it extremely impersonal and how the format engenders an uber-competitive and cutthroat environment. All in all, I am happy with my choice, and I think anyone who is joining me this fall is making the right move. For individuals with GPA issues, short of getting a 40+ on the MCAT, nothing will get your foot in the door and increase your chances like this program (statistically speaking).

Got in today :) First one not waitlisted so it is an amazing feeling. I'm still waiting to hear back from schools like Loyola but this program seems pretty hard to beat. Anyone know how large the class size this year will be for MM and if there are scholarships/grants for MM students and not just loans?

Got in today :)
Congrats!
Anyone know how large the class size this year will be for MM
I'm hearing 50. Don't be in the bottom half, that's all the advice I can offer any year.
and if there are scholarships/grants for MM students and not just loans?
There's no institutional money for SMP students, except possibly getting a small loan at a low rate only if you apply for school aid. All you can do to get free money is hunt down and compete for scholarships based on your characteristics (region, demographic, interest in knitting etc.). This story is entirely different once you're an actual med student.

Best of luck to you.

I hope with a class size of 50, the success rate will not change. However, medical school classes are expanding as well. Additionally, I'd like to think that the strong relationship between the MM and MD programs will continue to exist. If they accept 50 students, I hope they are confident that any of them would be a good fit for the EVMS MD program.

I hope with a class size of 50, the success rate will not change. However, medical school classes are expanding as well. Additionally, I'd like to think that the strong relationship between the MM and MD programs will continue to exist. If they accept 50 students, I hope they are confident that any of them would be a good fit for the EVMS MD program.

Generally yes, that's the intent that I'm continuing to hear here. Note that "rate" is not the same thing as "net".

Generally yes, that's the intent that I'm continuing to hear here. Note that "rate" is not the same thing as "net".

Good point, I hope that sentiment means a net success of 80%+ matriculating from the MM to their MD program does continue.

Good point, I hope that sentiment means a net success of 80%+ matriculating from the MM to their MD program does continue.
This SDN thread's evaluation of past performance is several magnitudes more precise than any evaluation EVMS has ever done.

EVMS gives a fair chance and incredible support. The rest is up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
This SDN thread's evaluation of past performance is several magnitudes more precise than any evaluation EVMS has ever done.

EVMS gives a fair chance and incredible support. The rest is up to you.

Thank you, Dr Midlife; now I know I'm glad I chose EVMS over GT or Cincy.

Hey so I just got in to the SMP and am planning to go. I read earlier in the threads that Hague Club usually have long waitlists...would it be wise to send in an application this early or wait till later?

Hey so I just got in to the SMP and am planning to go. I read earlier in the threads that Hague Club usually have long waitlists...would it be wise to send in an application this early or wait till later?

Apply right away if you want a chance to get in.

Hi all,

I was accepted to EVMS and GTown and placed my deposit down for EVMS yesterday, right before I received my acceptance from Cinci so now I'm not sure which way to lean. I'm still waiting on RFU and I think I have a good chance. I'm applying with a 3.0c/3.5s 35R.

My absolute requirement is to avoid a gap year so I'm most likely declining GTown but I don't know how to decide between EVMS, Cinci, and RFU. The linkages at all programs are pretty great, I think EVMS having the best, then RFU a close second, and Cinci third but EVMS (masters and med) is by far the most expensive and Cinci is the cheapest.

I'm coming from Southern California and I have never been to any of these areas so I have no idea what to expect out of any of these locations. Based on what I know, I think I would enjoy living near Chicago the most but I don't know much about Cincinnati or Norfolk (or North Chicago for that matter). If I'm going to spend 5 years somewhere I would prefer to enjoy the location.

Can anyone who's had to make this decision chime in on what their deciding factors were?

Hi all,

I was accepted to EVMS and GTown and placed my deposit down for EVMS yesterday, right before I received my acceptance from Cinci so now I'm not sure which way to lean. I'm still waiting on RFU and I think I have a good chance. I'm applying with a 3.0c/3.5s 35R.

My absolute requirement is to avoid a gap year so I'm most likely declining GTown but I don't know how to decide between EVMS, Cinci, and RFU. The linkages at all programs are pretty great, I think EVMS having the best, then RFU a close second, and Cinci third but EVMS (masters and med) is by far the most expensive and Cinci is the cheapest.

I'm coming from Southern California and I have never been to any of these areas so I have no idea what to expect out of any of these locations. Based on what I know, I think I would enjoy living near Chicago the most but I don't know much about Cincinnati or Norfolk (or North Chicago for that matter). If I'm going to spend 5 years somewhere I would prefer to enjoy the location.

Can anyone who's had to make this decision chime in on what their deciding factors were?

I was in the same boat as you last year (I was accepted to both EVMS and RFU) and eventually matriculated in to the RFU program. Although I'm from Chicago, I would have been much more inclined to attend the EVMS program if it wasn't for their high tuition rate and the impossibility of obtaining Virginia residency if I eventually matriculated in to their MD program. I think they're both great programs and will assist you in to getting in to a US MD school.

Also, RFU is in North Chicago and about 40-45 miles from the city of Chicago. In other words, if you don't have a car, getting to the city can be pretty tricky and expensive.

Congrats! In my view those 3 acceptances are the triple crown. You can assume that 35 got you noticed.
My absolute requirement is to avoid a gap year
Why? What kitten dies if you have a gap year? Of all the absolutes to choose, why would you pick avoiding a gap year over saving $150k in tuition/COA, or not living somewhere you hate, or getting into a UC or other California med school to be closer to home? Proximity to a good airport is legitimately more interesting than avoiding a gap year. Think this through before giving up your Gtown acceptance.
so I'm most likely declining GTown but I don't know how to decide between EVMS, Cinci, and RFU. The linkages at all programs are pretty great, I think EVMS having the best, then RFU a close second, and Cinci third but EVMS (masters and med) is by far the most expensive and Cinci is the cheapest.

You need to tell us how much time you've spent in N. Chicago, Cincinnati, Norfolk or DC, and roughly where you live in California. If you are from Orange County and you never go to the beach and you don't like being outdoors and you just want there to be a mall and decent cell signal, then it doesn't matter at all. On location, DC wins and Norfolk (really!) is second on that list. (As a Southern California native, I can't imagine living in Ohio or Illinois. How would you even know where you are if there's no ocean?)

On cost, Cincinnati wins without question. Probably half as expensive, over the long haul, as the other schools.

On odds of same-school acceptance, I think it's a tie between EVMS, Cincinnati and RFU.

On odds of getting into a UC or other California school, with a gap year, Gtown wins, no question. I don't think you'll have a California acceptance during an SMP year with that 3.0, but you should try.

On class size, Cincinnati is smallest at around 25, then EVMS at around 50, then (I think) RFU, and Gtown is largest at 182.

On "prestige" in terms of school recognition when you are going for residency, my vote would be Gtown, then Cincinnati, then EVMS, then RFU. No offense to RFU, but the only thing coastal people know about that school is that it nearly lost its accreditation in 1994 (see who is currently on probation here: www.lcme.org/directry.htm)

In your shoes I'd go with Cincinnati because of cost, followed by Gtown plus taking more time to get back to California for med school, followed by EVMS (live in denial on the cost, enjoy the environment), followed by RFU.

Best of luck to you.

I was in the same boat as you last year (I was accepted to both EVMS and RFU) and eventually matriculated in to the RFU program. Although I'm from Chicago, I would have been much more inclined to attend the EVMS program if it wasn't for their high tuition rate and the impossibility of obtaining Virginia residency if I eventually matriculated in to their MD program. I think they're both great programs and will assist you in to getting in to a US MD school.

Also, RFU is in North Chicago and about 40-45 miles from the city of Chicago. In other words, if you don't have a car, getting to the city can be pretty tricky and expensive.

Thanks so much for your input. I'm interested in knowing why you would have preferred EVMS over RFU if money was the same? EVMS is so much more expensive than RFU and Cincinnati so I'm leaning away from EVMS because of financial reasons. It's about 50k more than RFU and 100k more than Cinci over 5 years.

I do have a car so getting to the city will not be a problem so at least I can explore the city while I'm there with no problems.

Congrats! In my view those 3 acceptances are the triple crown. You can assume that 35 got you noticed.

Why? What kitten dies if you have a gap year? Of all the absolutes to choose, why would you pick avoiding a gap year over saving $150k in tuition/COA, or not living somewhere you hate, or getting into a UC or other California med school to be closer to home? Proximity to a good airport is legitimately more interesting than avoiding a gap year. Think this through before giving up your Gtown acceptance.

You need to tell us how much time you've spent in N. Chicago, Cincinnati, Norfolk or DC, and roughly where you live in California. If you are from Orange County and you never go to the beach and you don't like being outdoors and you just want there to be a mall and decent cell signal, then it doesn't matter at all. On location, DC wins and Norfolk (really!) is second on that list. (As a Southern California native, I can't imagine living in Ohio or Illinois. How would you even know where you are if there's no ocean?)

On cost, Cincinnati wins without question. Probably half as expensive, over the long haul, as the other schools.

On odds of same-school acceptance, I think it's a tie between EVMS, Cincinnati and RFU.

On odds of getting into a UC or other California school, with a gap year, Gtown wins, no question. I don't think you'll have a California acceptance during an SMP year with that 3.0, but you should try.

On class size, Cincinnati is smallest at around 25, then EVMS at around 50, then (I think) RFU, and Gtown is largest at 182.

On "prestige" in terms of school recognition when you are going for residency, my vote would be Gtown, then Cincinnati, then EVMS, then RFU. No offense to RFU, but the only thing coastal people know about that school is that it nearly lost its accreditation in 1994 (see who is currently on probation here: www.lcme.org/directry.htm)

In your shoes I'd go with Cincinnati because of cost, followed by Gtown plus taking more time to get back to California for med school, followed by EVMS (live in denial on the cost, enjoy the environment), followed by RFU.

Best of luck to you.

You just turned my world upside down...

First of all, I'm from all over California. Grew up in the Bay Area, went to school on Santa Barbara, and worked professionally in LA, OC, and the inland empire area. I have spent zero time in any of the areas where any of these schools are but I was basing my decision on location preference on what's close to a big city. I can't imagine living somewhere that isn't a big city or close to a big city. I have a car so I was thinking that RFU would be nice because I'm out of the city during the week and when I need to study, and when I wanted to explore, Chicago is right there. I currently live 45 minutes from LA but I'm there every other weekend. Is north Chicago that bad that having Chicago near by doesn't make up for it?

I would be much more inclined to accept at EVMS of it weren't for the cost. It is SO much more than every other school (100k more than Cinci and 50k more than RFU over 5 years). I don't know if I can swallow that pill.

On the issue of the gap year, I'm 29 right now. If I was a few years younger I probably wouldn't mind a gap year as much but at this rate I'll be starting med school at 30 without a gap year. I don't think my chances are good at UC's so I don't think it would be wise for me to take a gap year in hopes of getting into one. I'm going to apply for sure but I think the best way for me to decide which SMP I will attend is to assume I will be spending 5 years there and hope I can come back to Cali in a year.

You just turned my world upside down...

First of all, I'm from all over California. Grew up in the Bay Area, went to school on Santa Barbara, and worked professionally in LA, OC, and the inland empire area. I have spent zero time in any of the areas where any of these schools are but I was basing my decision on location preference on what's close to a big city. I can't imagine living somewhere that isn't a big city or close to a big city. I have a car so I was thinking that RFU would be nice because I'm out of the city during the week and when I need to study, and when I wanted to explore, Chicago is right there. I currently live 45 minutes from LA but I'm there every other weekend. Is north Chicago that bad that having Chicago near by doesn't make up for it?

I would be much more inclined to accept at EVMS of it weren't for the cost. It is SO much more than every other school (100k more than Cinci and 50k more than RFU over 5 years). I don't know if I can swallow that pill.

On the issue of the gap year, I'm 29 right now. If I was a few years younger I probably wouldn't mind a gap year as much but at this rate I'll be starting med school at 30 without a gap year. I don't think my chances are good at UC's so I don't think it would be wise for me to take a gap year in hopes of getting into one. I'm going to apply for sure but I think the best way for me to decide which SMP I will attend is to assume I will be spending 5 years there and hope I can come back to Cali in a year.
You can buy time by paying all the deposits. These are tiny dollars compared to the the cost of med school.

29 vs. 30 vs. 31 isn't very interesting, but I agree with you that going nuts to get into a UC is not that great a strategy here. Protecting your 35 is key.

You're absolutely correct to be worried about cost, foremost. EVMS for out of state is just a bad idea, unless you have family paying your way or another source of money. I'm completely stunned by how many of my classmates have grandparents footing the bill, or similar, and we have an abundance of military HPSP students.

My vote for you would be Cincinnati. I love EVMS but I hate the OOS cost. PM me if you want to hash this out further.

Is it right for me to assume that in years 3 and 4 of medical school you would be rotating in Chicago and cities other than North Chicago?

Is it right for me to assume that in years 3 and 4 of medical school you would be rotating in Chicago and cities other than North Chicago?

Yes. I think RFU only has one clinical site that's within walking distance of the school. All the other sites are either in downtown Chicago or in outlying suburbs at least 25 miles away from North Chicago.

Thanks so much for your input. I'm interested in knowing why you would have preferred EVMS over RFU if money was the same? EVMS is so much more expensive than RFU and Cincinnati so I'm leaning away from EVMS because of financial reasons. It's about 50k more than RFU and 100k more than Cinci over 5 years.

I do have a car so getting to the city will not be a problem so at least I can explore the city while I'm there with no problems.[/QUOT

I've lived in Chicago my entire life so I wanted to experience living in another part of the country. Other than that, the fact that class size of the MM program is about a third of the BMS program was also appealing.

Is there a facebook group for smp 2014? I couldn't find one for this year.

Found out today that I was accepted to the Georgetown SMP. Regardless, I'm sticking with EVMS. I would feel a little better if we had more of an idea of how the EVMS MM Class of 2013 is doing with MD acceptances for matriculating this fall. Any additional info available on that?

Found out today that I was accepted to the Georgetown SMP. Regardless, I'm sticking with EVMS. I would feel a little better if we had more of an idea of how the EVMS MM Class of 2013 is doing with MD acceptances for matriculating this fall. Any additional info available on that?

I don't think you will find out until end of May. If you look through this thread, that's when MM students find out if they got into EVMS.

I don't think you will find out until end of May. If you look through this thread, that's when MM students find out if they got into EVMS.

Correct. In 2010-11, acceptances started coming out during finals in early/mid May. Bad idea if you want the kids you just accepted, and more importantly the kids sitting next to them who are still waiting, to pass their exams.

In 2012, acceptances weren't given out until after graduation, roughly the last week of May. That's what's anticipated this year.

It's neurotic mania season, folks, don't forget to breathe...

Does EVMS favor it's in state MM students, over their OOS MM students, with regard to being accepted from their MM to MD program?

Does EVMS favor it's in state MM students, over their OOS MM students, with regard to being accepted from their MM to MD program?

No. But what happens is that the out of state waitlist for EVMS MD moves much faster than the instate waitlist, and EVMS MD is 50% out of state, so it feels like an OOS preference.

It appears that they added a listing of medical schools that MM students have received an acceptance. It is under the "FAQ" section on the MM page. Pretty impressive listing.

After talking to Leah Solomon (who is very helpful and timely btw), I found that I CAN defer acceptance to EVMS (after applying to it through AMCAS in 2013 and obviously doing well in the EVMS SMP program).

I am considering deferment because I also want to apply to other schools but in the NEXT CYCLE following completion of the SMP program (June 2014). My concern is that I might be considered a reapplicant although I would have only applied to ONE school (EVMS) and even have a strong chance of gaining acceptance to it.

Is this true (would I be considered reapplicant) and if so, how much of a disadvantage would this be?

Thank you for the help

After talking to Leah Solomon (who is very helpful and timely btw), I found that I CAN defer acceptance to EVMS (after applying to it through AMCAS in 2013 and obviously doing well in the EVMS SMP program).

I am considering deferment because I also want to apply to other schools but in the NEXT CYCLE following completion of the SMP program (June 2014). My concern is that I might be considered a reapplicant although I would have only applied to ONE school (EVMS) and even have a strong chance of gaining acceptance to it.

Is this true (would I be considered reapplicant) and if so, how much of a disadvantage would this be?

Thank you for the help
I would look into this a bit more. I don't think many schools (if any) will allow you to do this. Deferrals are awarded on a case-by-case basis, and you have to give the school a very good reason as to why you want to defer (usually it has to do with finishing a job, waiting so that a spouse can move with you, personal tragedy, health crisis, etc.). Telling them that you want to take a year off before matriculating so that you can reapply to other schools is a slap in the face and looks extremely bad. Not telling them this would be even worse; if you applied to other schools through AMCAS again and EVMS found out that you had been dishonest, you would run yourself the risk of losing your acceptance and having your application flagged by AMCAS. This doesn't mean that Leah was incorrect; it just means that deferring is generally a binding commitment to the school.

Edit: just to clarify, if you were awarded a deferral at EVMS that is binding, AMCAS would require you to "reapply," but only to EVMS for the following year.

Last edited:
You're not asking the right question, and you're not asking the right person. Furthermore, you aren't going to get an answer that makes you happy. You're ordering off the menu.

You can send any question you like to Leah, but you need input from Dr. Meyer.

Your question should be this: "If I do not apply MD before starting the EVMS med masters, can you tell me what would happen with my EVMS MD application in the year after I finish the med masters?"

Before you get an answer to that, you'll be asked this: "why?"

And then you honestly answer "because I want to apply once with my best possible app, and I would like to get into my home state med school if I can. So I want to complete the EVMS med masters before I apply MD.

And then there will be a pause of reflection on the increased size of the med masters program, and you'll be asked "do you realize that means waiting a year to start med school?"

And you try really hard not to answer "do you realize EVMS MD is pretty much the most expensive med school on US soil?" and actually answer "yes I do, I understand that I will have a gap year. I'm sure you can understand the tuition consequences."

And then you won't really get an answer to your question. You may be told that EVMS MD screens secondaries, and that a strong performance in the EVMS med masters program looks wonderful on an MD app. That's all you'll get. Because for decades, Dr. Meyer has had his heart broken by promising med masters who bombed their finals, or retook the MCAT for a lower score, or were *****s in their interviews, or otherwise messed everything up after he worked his fanny off to give them the best possible chance at an EVMS MD acceptance. He is not going to promise you jack.

And your decision is this: is it more important to you to maximize your chances of an EVMS interview and possible acceptance, or is it more important to you to maximize your chances of an interview and possible acceptance at a bunch of schools? You either apply this year with the hopes of going to EVMS MD, or you apply next year with the hopes of going to one of many schools to which you apply, possibly including EVMS. Or you play out the ethics drama I described in the other thread.

If your stats aren't good enough to get you into your home state schools while you're in the med masters, you should be worrying about how to survive the med masters more than how to game MD admissions, quite frankly.

Best of luck to you.

I am currently in the process of looking for housing. Aside from Ghent, I have been looking at places in Chesapeake, VA Beach, and Portsmouth, usually at no location farther than 10 miles from the school. Can anyone comment on what a commute like that would be like? A substantial financial savings can be achieved by living in one of these areas over Ghent. However, sacrificing safety of having to commute for over 30 mins each way is not worth it either.

I am currently in the process of looking for housing. Aside from Ghent, I have been looking at places in Chesapeake, VA Beach, and Portsmouth, usually at no location farther than 10 miles from the school. Can anyone comment on what a commute like that would be like? A substantial financial savings can be achieved by living in one of these areas over Ghent. However, sacrificing safety of having to commute for over 30 mins each way is not worth it either.

The mile count isn't a good metric. The bridge/tunnel count matters a lot, and the time of day matters a lot. We get interesting weather here. It floods. It snows. Either one pretty much shuts the city down. It hasn't been too bad this year, but a couple years ago it seemed like it was every week.

For reference, I talked to a faculty member last week who just moved from walking distance to 4 miles away. Getting to the car, getting to a parking structure, getting to his office (or the reverse) went from 5-10 minutes to 30-45 minutes, and he's missing the cardio.

There are plenty of people who commute to EVMS, from out in VB, up in NN, out in Chesapeake. If you're used to driving to/from work/school now, and you're from a metropolitan area like LA or Boston or Atlanta, and your car is in good shape, sure, why not.

I'm obviously biased towards spending money on Ghent vs. spending money on gas & repairs here. For me the benefits are huge. I'm not giving up an hour a day to sit in a car, not when I sit in class or the library all day.

Oh, and Portsmouth is the Detroit of Hampton Roads. Under no circumstances should you rent there before you've spent time there.

Best of luck to you.

Thank was very helpful, thanks! Can anyone comment on what Lafayette Towers is like? They seem to be in a convenient location.

Thank was very helpful, thanks! Can anyone comment on what Lafayette Towers is like? They seem to be in a convenient location.

That complex is nowhere near Ghent. It's in the Lafayette neighborhood. They advertise a lot, and they never stop advertising, which says they have problems leasing, imho. The parking lot at that complex is underwater at high tide. The location is too far to walk, and not safe to bike. The route either has to cross train tracks or go under an overpass (which floods). If you're going to drive, you can do better.

I'm one of the EVMS medical master's students, looking to start this August. I just have a few questions on how to go about with my AMCAS application for the next cycle. I plan to have an application filed during my time as a master's student as to not take a gap year after the completion of my master's. So, I was thinking of submitting my AMCAS application this June-July to get it out of the way before I start the master's program so I could focus on my school work and not have to deal with med school applications meanwhile.

I figure I should list the courses I will be taking at EVMS in my application, but I'm not sure if I will have a supporting transcript to confirm these courses by June or who to contact for it.

I'm also not sure about the letters of recommendation. Would you guys advise that I have the pre-health committee at my current school to file it or hold off to get one from EVMS? In the latter case, I would imagine that my application would not be complete for a while.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I'm one of the EVMS medical master's students, looking to start this August. I just have a few questions on how to go about with my AMCAS application for the next cycle. I plan to have an application filed during my time as a master's student as to not take a gap year after the completion of my master's. So, I was thinking of submitting my AMCAS application this June-July to get it out of the way before I start the master's program so I could focus on my school work and not have to deal with med school applications meanwhile.

I figure I should list the courses I will be taking at EVMS in my application, but I'm not sure if I will have a supporting transcript to confirm these courses by June or who to contact for it.

I'm also not sure about the letters of recommendation. Would you guys advise that I have the pre-health committee at my current school to file it or hold off to get one from EVMS? In the latter case, I would imagine that my application would not be complete for a while.

Enter in the classes as "future courses" so schools will know that you are taking them and should expect a grade later on. As for the transcript, you can have one sent to the schools, individually, when you receive your first semester grades. Other than that, you do not send AMCAS an official transcript. Your grades will also be mentioned in the 2nd and 3rd letter sent by Dr. Meyer.

With regards to LORs, go ahead and have ALL of your LORs sent to AMCAS now. The recommendations from EVMS can be added and sent to AMCAS as you receive them. And when AMCAS receives these new LORs they will redirect them to the schools you indicated on your AMCAS application; additional letters do not hold-up your application.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Do your best to submit your AMCAS on June 1st. Depending on how many schools you're applying to, it's best to have not only your primary out of the way when the program starts, but secondaries as well.

You should list all of the EVMS courses on your AMCAS, which can be found in the Medical Master section of the EVMS website (obviously, you won't have any grades to enter). It's important that, under the Schools Attended section of AMCAS, you answer "no" to transcript required for EVMS. Otherwise, your AMCAS will never get processed. This will allow you to submit your primary app with future coursework listed.

Medical schools differ in the way they approach letters of recommendation and transcripts, so you'll need to check in with each one to see how they handle additional information. Some are very liberal and will accept anything and everything throughout the application cycle. Others are fairly strict and will only accept letters/transcripts that are delineated on your primary and secondary applications.

In the case of the former, you would just let Dr. Meyer know where he needs to send his letters to. This year, there were two letters that Dr. Meyer sent out: one at the beginning of the year letting schools know what the program is all about, and one at the beginning of 2nd semester as sort of an update on how you've been doing. I believe the 2nd letter includes an official transcript, but you might want to be proactive about sending an official transcript separately, as these become available well before Meyer has the letter ready to send out.

In the case of the latter (strict school), you might have to list Dr. Meyer's LOR on the secondary application, or you might not be able to send any updates at all (again, depends on the school). This is a little trickier and would require you contacting the schools individually and ask them what their policies are on updates.

Oh, and definitely include the pre-health committee letter in your primary AMCAS. Dr. Meyer's letters will not count as that. Hope this helps.

Hey future med masters,

I am a current M1 and former med master at EVMS and have a room available in my 2bd/2ba apartment in Ghent. You'd have a good sized bedroom and your own bathroom. The apartment has covered parking, combo washer/dryer, and the kitchen was recently updated with new cabinets and granite counter tops. It's about 15 mins walking, a nice bike ride, or a very short drive (takes longer to park in the garage than it does to get there). I have a happy-go-lucky nearly 3 year old, 70lb yellow lab, so you've gotta like dogs. If anyone is interested in more info, feel free to message me!

Has anybody else encountered a problem with the specific pre-req courses during the application? I graduated from a UC school, and only 1 G.chem lab was offered and 1 O.chem lab was required.. I didn't run across this problem with the other SMP programs.

Are they really this strict with completing all the pre-req courses? I have a bunch of other science courses so kinda bummed out if this keeps me from even applying to the program.. :( any advice?

Has anybody else encountered a problem with the specific pre-req courses during the application? I graduated from a UC school, and only 1 G.chem lab was offered and 1 O.chem lab was required.. I didn't run across this problem with the other SMP programs.

Are they really this strict with completing all the pre-req courses? I have a bunch of other science courses so kinda bummed out if this keeps me from even applying to the program.. :( any advice?

This isn't an SMP problem for you - it's a med school problem.

For med school, the prereqs are one year each, with labs, of gen chem, o chem, physics and bio. Different schools do different things, but those are generally the prereqs. Sometimes if you have upper div science with labs, and if your MCAT score is above average, you can petition to have a med school's prereq waived. Same goes for an SMP - the SMP school may decide to let you in with substitutes for the prereqs. However, if you have a low GPA, good SMPs and med schools aren't likely to cut you some slack.

To be clear, your school isn't in charge of the med school prereqs. Med schools own their prereqs. You should take a look at your school's premed advising page, and take a look at the admissions pages for your target med schools.

It doesn't matter if this seems fair or sane to you. (Usually that's the complaint that comes next here.) Part of getting into med school is demonstrating that you're an outstanding hoop jumper. Any hoop. Any size. Any height.

Best of luck to you.

Give Leah or Amber a call and ask if you're concerned. They're generally helpful.

You'll be fine for the EVMS SMP and the EVMS MD programs. There are people from pretty much all of the UCs that have attended the SMP and MD programs.

Most schools have lab spread out w/ their g/o-chem classes which is why the require 2 courses each. Your lab is just a dedicated lab course that covers all the material and they understand that.

I found this post from the EVMS Allopathic thread:

Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!

For those who complete the Medical Masters program, do these numbers still apply?