Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My question is this: should I apply to the MD program for this cycle as well? I feel like it is late, not to mention my app. is still being verified. Do I even have a shot with that GPA?
It's still July - are you ready to submit pretty quickly?

You have a non-zero shot at MD. It won't hurt your med masters app to apply MD.

In your shoes I'd probably just apply to EVMS & VCU and call it a day. You'll probably get an interview out of it, which is great experience, regardless.

Just keep in mind that your next AMCAS has to have everything refreshed. Yes they will pull your old app up and look at it side by side with your new app. You can re-use letters, but not essays.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's still July - are you ready to submit pretty quickly?

You have a non-zero shot at MD. It won't hurt your med masters app to apply MD.

In your shoes I'd probably just apply to EVMS & VCU and call it a day. You'll probably get an interview out of it, which is great experience, regardless.

Just keep in mind that your next AMCAS has to have everything refreshed. Yes they will pull your old app up and look at it side by side with your new app. You can re-use letters, but not essays.

Best of luck to you.

Do we need to write new essays for the Med Masters program as well? I applied but didn't get in...hoping to make a second go around this October

Do we need to write new essays for the Med Masters program as well? I applied but didn't get in...hoping to make a second go around this October
Yep. They didn't vote for you, so you need a new campaign.

If you want to be more successful on a reapp, it needs to be a different and better app. That goes for SMPs and med school, imho.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if this question(s) has been asked before but I've been carefully reading through each post on this thread and I'm only on page 20/41 :eek:. I'm a VA resident graduating from VCU this December. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on August 16 but I'm considering rescheduling because my first two AAMC FL practice exam scores were awful. I figure January 2013 would be the best time to reschedule the MCAT because I've heard how difficult it is to study for the exam while taking classes.

I noticed the application for the EVMS SMP opens in October. Should I submit my entire application without my MCAT score at that time or wait until I receive my MCAT score around the end of February (assuming I decide to take the MCAT at the end of January)? I read somewhere that the admissions committee doesn't start reviewing applications until February-April. I'm not sure if that's true but I still feel like I would be at a slight disadvantage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry if this question(s) has been asked before but I've been carefully reading through each post on this thread and I'm only on page 20/41 :eek:. I'm a VA resident graduating from VCU this December. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on August 16 but I'm considering rescheduling because my first two AAMC FL practice exam scores were awful. I figure January 2013 would be the best time to reschedule the MCAT because I've heard how difficult it is to study for the exam while taking classes.

I noticed the application for the EVMS SMP opens in October. Should I submit my entire application without my MCAT score at that time or wait until I receive my MCAT score around the end of February (assuming I decide to take the MCAT at the end of January)? I read somewhere that the admissions committee doesn't start reviewing applications until February-April. I'm not sure if that's true but I still feel like I would be at a slight disadvantage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

From reading this thread, the first batch of acceptances come out in early January (and I think even December), so it's in your best interest to apply early. A January MCAT will be a little late. You may get in if you have good stats but you are at a longer shot than if you had applied in October with an MCAT due to rolling admissions. Is your MCAT that low that you couldn't see a good score after 6 weeks (September 11th MCAT date)?

From reading this thread, the first batch of acceptances come out in early January (and I think even December), so it's in your best interest to apply early. A January MCAT will be a little late. You may get in if you have good stats but you are at a longer shot than if you had applied in October with an MCAT due to rolling admissions. Is your MCAT that low that you couldn't see a good score after 6 weeks (September 11th MCAT date)?

Oh wow I had no idea acceptances were offered so early. I've been studying quite extensively as my original August 16 MCAT date approaches. In that case, I'll try to reschedule the exam for sometime in September.

With all of those that finish this program, what percentage is accepted into Medical School and within what period?

With all of those that finish this program, what percentage is accepted into Medical School and within what period?

More than 75% go straight into EVMS or another MD school.

2012: 82%, 23 out of 28 in at EVMS so far
2011: 91%, 21 out of 23 in at EVMS or another MD school
2010: 78%, 18 out of 23 in at EVMS or another MD school, plus 1 in at EVMS after reapplying, plus 1 in at a DO school after reapplying

Best of luck to you.

More than 75% go straight into EVMS or another MD school.

2012: 82%, 23 out of 28 in at EVMS so far
2011: 91%, 21 out of 23 in at EVMS or another MD school
2010: 78%, 18 out of 23 in at EVMS or another MD school, plus 1 in at EVMS after reapplying, plus 1 in at a DO school after reapplying

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for that info, but within what period of time?
The same year of graduation, assuming that they apply in the middle of the program, or a year after graduation?

Thank you for that info, but within what period of time?
The same year of graduation, assuming that they apply in the middle of the program, or a year after graduation?
Except where I said "reapplying", all of the students started med school immediately after completing the med masters. SMP graduation in May, MS1 in August.

Presumably you're comparing this to the Gtown numbers, where roughly 50% get into med school immediately, and roughly 85% get in after another year or more.

So Gtown's 50% compares to EVMS's 75%.

Please understand that there are a ton of other issues to consider in choosing an SMP. Those who are taking the choice seriously will invest dozens (preferably hundreds, in my case thousands) of hours reading every post in this thread and every post in the threads for other SMPs of interest, in addition to reading every word on the program's website.

Best of luck to you.

Wanted to register to vote in Virginia, especially because it's a swing state, but they seem to require you be a resident. From this thread, it seems that acquiring residency is all but impossible. What's the deal, out of state students? Can't vote in VA throughout your time there?

Last edited:
Wanted to register to vote in Virginia, especially because it's a swing state, but they seem to require you be a resident. From this thread, it seems that acquiring residency is all but impossible. What's the deal, out of state students? Can't vote in VA throughout your time there?
Virginia's rules are no different than other states. If you're there temporarily, such as for one year of school, you're assumed to be a resident of another state. This is a solveable problem that has nothing to do with what's been on Doonesbury lately.

I've done a few posts this year on getting residency in VA, and it's not hard to figure out, and no, it's not impossible to get for voting. What's impossible to get is instate tuition before a year of residency. There aren't package deals - the people who are in charge of letting you vote aren't the same people in charge of setting your tuition designation.

I'm voting in VA this fall but I still have to do all my diligence (car reg, license etc). The deadline to register isn't until October.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't know residency is defined differently for different purposes..
Do you happen to know if having a VA address suffice for voting registration?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I didn't know residency is defined differently for different purposes..
The various benefits of residency aren't all yours for the immediate taking after you establish a domicile in Virginia. Voting is a benefit that's immediately available once you establish a domicile. Instate tuition is a benefit that costs the state massive piles of money, so the burden of proof is higher.

(For some insights, ask your parents how they'd feel about letting anybody come vote in your home state without first establishing a domicile. And ask how they'd feel about an out of state student taking your med school seat and getting instate tuition, after they've paid property taxes all your life.)
Do you happen to know if having a VA address suffice for voting registration?
Here you go: http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/cms/Voter_Information/Registering_to_Vote/Index.html

One thing you'll want to understand very clearly: if you will be trying to get into your home state's schools, voting in VA this fall will hurt your ability to claim you're still a resident of your home state. You have to pick one state and go with it. Down the road if you want to change back, you pretty much start from zero.

You can help register voters, through various organizations, if you want to have a bigger impact on the election than your own vote.

Best of luck to you.

So to get Virginia in state status for upcoming years, I plan on buying Virginia property in my name, pay Virginia income tax, switch my driver's license and possibly vote here. Is there anything else I should do to ensure that I get in state status?

So to get Virginia in state status for upcoming years, I plan on buying Virginia property in my name, pay Virginia income tax, switch my driver's license and possibly vote here. Is there anything else I should do to ensure that I get in state status?

Code of Virginia Section 23-7.4

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+23-7.4

Paragraph B covers it pretty thoroughly, although you probably want to read the entire thing. Keep in mind, these are all factors that an institutional body considers when deciding whether or not to grant in-state tuition. They can just as easily deny in-state tuition for their own reasons.

out of curiosity, has anyone in the medmasters program or at the med school been able to change from oos to is during their time there?

Alright, I'm hearing 32 med masters for 2012-2013. Slow growth to the ~40 range is in plan.

Hmm the email sent out to all the MM students today had 41 people listed in the "To" section. That seems to be a really big increase really fast. Do you think they'll still accept all of the MM students who perform well in the courses? Or will they be more selective?

Also, do you have any input on how the new curriculum might affect us?

There seems to be a lot of changes going on in the program this year. I hope they still have a high success rate of students matriculating into a MD program.

Thanks DrMidlife in advance!

There seems to be a lot of changes going on in the program this year. I hope they still have a high success rate of students matriculating into a MD program.

+1.

Looks like they've suddenly replaced physiology and histology with "organ systems function" and "organ systems structure" - maybe they've just renamed them. I wonder if we'll still be taking these courses with the M1s. Either way, too late to change my AMCAS course listings at this point. Kind of a pain...

I guess they're having us buy gross anatomy books now as well?

Last edited:
+1.

Looks like they've suddenly replaced physiology and histology with "organ systems function" and "organ systems structure" - maybe they've just renamed them. I wonder if we'll still be taking these courses with the M1s. Either way, too late to change my AMCAS course listings at this point. Kind of a pain...

Yeah I just saw that haha. Wonder what class that's going to be for exactly.

so i just contacted the EVMS office of admissions. The lady said that there was no way they were going to be able to accept all 40 students in the med master's program. She was suggesting they would be sticking to accepting ~25 students like in the past. Looks like things are changing

so i just contacted the EVMS office of admissions. The lady said that there was no way they were going to be able to accept all 40 students in the med master's program. She was suggesting they would be sticking to accepting ~25 students like in the past. Looks like things are changing

Interesting. Hoping DrMidlife can do some investigating for us to see what that really means for us haha.

Last edited:
Hmm the email sent out to all the MM students today had 41 people listed in the "To" section. That seems to be a really big increase really fast. Do you think they'll still accept all of the MM students who perform well in the courses? Or will they be more selective?

Also, do you have any input on how the new curriculum might affect us?

Thanks DrMidlife in advance!
Dunno. Didn't get the email.

+1.

Did the email say you'll be in anatomy? Note that the MMs have been in embryo only for a long time - embryo is part of the M1's anatomy course. It would be a big deal if MMs are in anatomy now

The cost of curriculum changes is huge, and it's a very, very slow process to get new faculty. Separating the MMs from the M1s wouldn't be possible without new faculty and new funding. Neither is probable.
I suggest that this individual may not be in the MM admissions info loop.
Interesting. Hoping DrMidlife can do some investigating for us to see what that really means for us haha.
We're now all of 12 days from orientation, so just hang on. More will be revealed. Not by me, because I don't know.

I could say don't panic but y'all will anyway, and I could say don't worry but y'all will anyway. It's tradition.

Best of luck to you.

Just moved to Norfolk three days ago. It's been a thrill just walking around and exploring Ghent and downtown Norfolk. If anyone has questions about the area, I can try to answer them to the best of my ability. It's all still pretty overwhelming for me, though, coming from the Midwest. If any Med Master (future or former) is in the area and would like to meet up, let me know as well. I'm in Hague Club.

hey guys, i'm planning on applying to evms med masters next year and was wondering how science and overall gpas are calculated, is it similar to amcas or different?

The application is closed and on the website it doesn't state anything about gpa calculations. Appreciate any feedback.

hey guys, i'm planning on applying to evms med masters next year and was wondering how science and overall gpas are calculated, is it similar to amcas or different?

The application is closed and on the website it doesn't state anything about gpa calculations. Appreciate any feedback.
Use AMCAS GPA calcs. When you apply to the EVMS med masters, you're being considered as a med school applicant, with the sole exception of some consideration for low undergrad GPA.

Best of luck to you.

Is it important to apply early like with the regular M.D. program?

I've started my application, but am not sure if I need to submit soon or if I can wait a month or so after I've heard back from some med schools.

I've started my application, but am not sure if I need to submit soon or if I can wait a month or so after I've heard back from some med schools.

You can wait if you want. However they do start making admission decisions in December I believe.

My suggestion is submit your application as early as possible. If you gain acceptance, pay the deposit and hold a spot.

I heard good news from the EVMS Med Masters program about two weeks ago and I have just found this forum. Get those applications in so you can hear back too!

Anyone interested in a thread about this years class or a Facebook group to discuss things, find roommates, get to know Norfolk, etc?

I have a sister that went through EVMS Med Masters and was accepted into the MD program too, so I can ask her some things about Med Masters if anyone has a question they can't find the answer to.

If you are accepted into the class of 2014 EVMS Med Masters, it's best to start a specific Facebook group. If you want to chat about Norfolk, EVMS, and general questions about the program then feel free to ask away on this thread. Keep things simple and so that others can read what was discussed in the future.

They are waiting for a transcript from my Current masters program... That will not be availible until December... So much for my early advantage...

I submitted all of my application yesterday. Suppose I'll have to wait for my transcripts and LORs to get in. Not totally sure how to LORs work. I guess they shoot off a message to our letter writers as per that section of the app. I shot my letter writers a heads up about being contacted by EVMS about their LORs. Like a fool I only had them submit to AMCAS rather than interfolio.

I was thinking about asking Dr. Meyer to show me around campus and look over my app before they have it all finalized. I've lived in the area forever but the campus itself is unfamiliar ground. I don't need a tour per se, but I figured it might indicate significant interest on my part. EVMS is the only school I'm interested in after all. Do you all think this would irritate the med masters folks? I'd like to make myself stand out but I don't want to be a pain.

I submitted all of my application yesterday. Suppose I'll have to wait for my transcripts and LORs to get in. Not totally sure how to LORs work. I guess they shoot off a message to our letter writers as per that section of the app. I shot my letter writers a heads up about being contacted by EVMS about their LORs. Like a fool I only had them submit to AMCAS rather than interfolio.

I was thinking about asking Dr. Meyer to show me around campus and look over my app before they have it all finalized. I've lived in the area forever but the campus itself is unfamiliar ground. I don't need a tour per se, but I figured it might indicate significant interest on my part. EVMS is the only school I'm interested in after all. Do you all think this would irritate the med masters folks? I'd like to make myself stand out but I don't want to be a pain.

If you sent an app to EVMS for med school Leah maybe able to recover your letters for AMCAS for the med masters program. Shoot her an Email and see if she can help you.

I applied to the MD program at EVMS, so they already had my LORs so I just asked them to send copies over to the Med Masters program. It worked out very well. I even tried to have the letters forwarded from my interfolio account before and had some trouble with that.

If you have anymore trouble with it, I would call Leah Solomon. Her information is available on the Med Masters website. She was super helpful in getting my application processed.

As, for a meeting with Dr. Meyers, I tried to email him too but I never received a response back. Probably a busy guy this time of year. But all worked out for the best anyway.

Good luck to you.

I don't think Dr. Meyer will have time to personally show you around the campus, but if you contact Leah she might be able to set something up for you; maybe with a current student. I personally don't think you would be a pain at all wanting to check the place out, and I am a current student at EVMS.

As for having Dr. Meyer look over your application before it is complete, I have never heard of that. If you are curious where you stand with your app, again contact Leah. That might be unfair for them to look over your application and not all the other applicant's apps.

I have read some where in this thread that they increased the class size to 40? are they going to still accept same proportion amount of students?

I have read some where in this thread that they increased the class size to 40? are they going to still accept same proportion amount of students?

Yes it is 40. As for matriculation rates, everything now is assumptions and hearsay. We will find out for sure in May - August.

EVMS is great and Leah is a great asset. She can help you with anything. If you have any questions ask because this thread was very helpful for me last year.

there are two addresses for transcripts? which one do we send it to? leah or hpadmissions

So for the picture, I assume we need a professional looking picture? (dress shirt, tie ?)

So for the picture, I assume we need a professional looking picture? (dress shirt, tie ?)

I would go Hawaiian shirt with a cocktail in your hand. Yes, you need a professional looking picture. Treat it like medical school. :)

Thank you! I asked because I read somewhere that a med applicant once used a picture of her on a volunteering trip and the admissions office told her they liked the fact that her picture was different from everybody else.

But I won't take any chances with the Hawaiian shirt =)

Accepted! I was complete on Dec 6th. I wasn't sure if i was going to get in because Leah told me to edit my cv twice.

Accepted! I was complete on Dec 6th. I wasn't sure if i was going to get in because Leah told me to edit my cv twice.

I was also accepted but back in November. Leah is definitely very nice, especially to applicants that are willing to call and to talk to her. The only thing I am worried about is what the projected success rate of the program will be for this year's class to matriculate into EVMS's Medical School, especially after they increased the class size of the MM Program to 40. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I was also accepted but back in November. Leah is definitely very nice, especially to applicants that are willing to call and to talk to her. The only thing I am worried about is what the projected success rate of the program will be for this year's class to matriculate into EVMS's Medical School, especially after they increased the class size of the MM Program to 40. What do you guys think?

I doubt it will be any big deal. I really think the quality and acceptance rate will be about the same. EVMS can handle a few more of us.