Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junos187

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Anyone heard from East Virginia biomedical sciences yet? I was told it will take around 2 weeks for a decision to be made.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm still waiting on a letter of rec to get there to be complete...they lost my transcript twice and i had to have my professor send the letter twice, hopefully it gets there this time...nicole and i are on a first name basis now that we'v talked so much, lol...when were you complete?

what are your stats like if you dont mind me asking?
i have a 2.7 and a 33...ive been trying to get a hold of dr meyers on the phone, but no luck :( you talk to him at all?

evms is definetly my number 1 choice, lets hope we're classmates this fall. good luck!

palmtree said:
i'm still waiting on a letter of rec to get there to be complete...they lost my transcript twice and i had to have my professor send the letter twice, hopefully it gets there this time...nicole and i are on a first name basis now that we'v talked so much, lol...when were you complete?

what are your stats like if you dont mind me asking?
i have a 2.7 and a 33...ive been trying to get a hold of dr meyers on the phone, but no luck :( you talk to him at all?

evms is definetly my number 1 choice, lets hope we're classmates this fall. good luck!

Hi,
My application was complete three weeks ago. They told me they start reviewing in April 1st, and when I spoke to them (I forgot with who), they told me 2-3 more weeks for decisions to be sent out. My starts are like urs but my MCAT is 31R. The program is my number one choice also, I like the whole 75% deal.
Good luck with your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
junos187 said:
Hi,
My application was complete three weeks ago. They told me they start reviewing in April 1st, and when I spoke to them (I forgot with who), they told me 2-3 more weeks for decisions to be sent out. My starts are like urs but my MCAT is 31R. The program is my number one choice also, I like the whole 75% deal.
Good luck with your application!

i called them and they said they're at about 190 applicants for 20 spots..wowzers...anyone else apply/get accepted to this program yet? we're all dying to know!

I've applied, but I haven't been accepted. Man, this year is even competitive when it comes to SMPs! Thank God I got into one at least.

thats awesome, where have you been accepted? I'm applying to drexel, evms and RFU's programs...i just really hope one program decides to give me a chance. georgetown basically laughed at me, haha. good luck w/ getting into evms!

I got into Loyola MAMS. I'm still waiting on GTown, EVMS, RFU, Tulane, Columbia, and BU.

i applied to evms also....29 mcat and 3.0 gpa....what stats do you think will get you in this year? since so many people applied how do you think they will accept those 20.....for example many of the applicants are using evms as a back up to med school or other programs, so say they get in and decide not to go, will they accept more?

I got in today with a 27 mcat and 3.6 gpa. If I don't put down the deposit in 10 days, my spot goes to someone else.

sgod34 said:
i applied to evms also....29 mcat and 3.0 gpa....what stats do you think will get you in this year? since so many people applied how do you think they will accept those 20.....for example many of the applicants are using evms as a back up to med school or other programs, so say they get in and decide not to go, will they accept more?

Have no fear, they accept way more people than 20. A lot of the initial acceptances are to people who end up getting into medical school or go to other SMP programs so there is lots of movement. I was in the middle third of the wait list last year and I got in. Call Toni Dorn, she'll tell you where you stand.

Tooth

gat accepted today. sent my application 3/25. i'm also on the wait list at the medical school and at VCU SOM so if i get into one of those my spot will be up for grabs. good luck ya'll.

TiggidyTooth said:
Have no fear, they accept way more people than 20. A lot of the initial acceptances are to people who end up getting into medical school or go to other SMP programs so there is lots of movement. I was in the middle third of the wait list last year and I got in. Call Toni Dorn, she'll tell you where you stand.

Tooth

sup tooth

do you remember how many peeps were on the waitlist last year? just trying to get a feel for it out here...evms is definetly my #1 choice, if im fortunate enough to get in im there in a heartbeat. thanks

Funny story (kinda)
SO I was sitting writing a mock bio-grant and decided to take a break about 30 mins ago and check out SDN, read through the EVMS forums and was about to log out when I noticed someone said that the acceptances were coming via fed ex today, I was like..."hmm there was a door tag from fed ex outside my apartment complex, I bet it was for someone else (there’s 40 or so rooms in the complex)" went back to work and got nowhere, so i was like well damn I'll just go check. I get to the front of the building and the tag was still there, "hmmm" no apt # and kinda if you squint it looked like my name (first initial and 5 of the letters of my last name were correct) but didn’t say where it was from...so i go inside and check all the names on the mailboxes (while other tenants looked at my cautiously) and nothing else very similar, I take the tag back to my apartment and called the 1-800 # and after being on hold for like 15 mins some guy in broken English is like we only have a first name (which matched mine) and I was like "can you tell me where it is from" he was like "it doesn't say, it only says E-V-M-S"
So now I have to wait until 8 am to see what it is and not tell anyone (except for all of you I guess) and jinx myself.

By the way if you care 28 MCAT, 3.54 gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like i missed out on the first wave of acceptances, doh! :(

palmtree said:
sup tooth

do you remember how many peeps were on the waitlist last year? just trying to get a feel for it out here...evms is definetly my #1 choice, if im fortunate enough to get in im there in a heartbeat. thanks

I really dont remember too well, I do remember that I was like #40 or something like that. So there is lots of movement.

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
I really dont remember too well, I do remember that I was like #40 or something like that. So there is lots of movement.

Tooth

whoa...around what month did you find out? sorry for being so nosy ;)

tooth, what month did you get your acceptance in? sorry i'm just getting impatientnbecause evms is by far my first choice....i hope a 3.0 and 29 will get me in

palmtree said:
whoa...around what month did you find out? sorry for being so nosy ;)

I found out 2 weeks before the program started, late july or early august I think. So it can be pretty late.

Tooth

I got my acceptance package today as well.
The 10 day window was a bit surprising as I have not heard from med schools yet. So my spot may or may not become available come August.

those of you that got in....do you think you guys are gonna send your deposit

sgod34 said:
Yes, I definitely want to hold my place.

sgod34 said:

yes, i will as well

Yoyo, which SMPs did u get into and which are you waiting on?

SO weird..... im dying to get off the waitlist at a medschool and I dont care where I go.... i got into EVMS and i'm assuming i'll get into BU and Drexel and half hoping/assuming that i'll get into Gtown. So weird to have options =T. No idea where I want to go and where i'll end up.

i sent my deposit yesterday. i'm definitely going should i not get accepted to the med schools i'm on the waiting lists at.

chaeymaey said:
Yoyo, which SMPs did u get into and which are you waiting on?

chaeymaey,
I'm not sure what SMP stands for (science masters program??), but EVMS is the only post-bac program i applied for (and is the "one" i got in) and I am currently on the med school waitlist at EVMS and at my state school

yoyo13 said:
chaeymaey,
I'm not sure what SMP stands for (science masters program??), but EVMS is the only post-bac program i applied for (and is the "one" i got in) and I am currently on the med school waitlist at EVMS and at my state school
Yeah, that's basically what I was asking. I say SMP to differentiate from post-bacc w/ undergrad work.

does anyone have information about whether or not the classes taken in the EVMS SMP can count towards the M1 year in medical school? i'm pretty sure i heard something about this on another forum but i cant find it. any info would be appreciated.

bikedoc1021 said:
does anyone have information about whether or not the classes taken in the EVMS SMP can count towards the M1 year in medical school? i'm pretty sure i heard something about this on another forum but i cant find it. any info would be appreciated.

All courses you high pass you don't repeat. Makes M1 year a sweet like honey.

Tooth

I mailed in my deposit as well, not certain where I will be going.

TiggidyTooth said:
All courses you high pass you don't repeat. Makes M1 year a sweet like honey.

Tooth
Is it really possible to high pass many classes? It seems like it would be really tough. I'm trying to choose between EVMS and Gtown right now, so I want to weigh the pros and cons.

will if you wanna go to evms med school you should go there, but if you wanna go soem where else gtown by far is the best option...they have the highest med school rate out of all smp's (around 80%) and it is a really prestigious smp...hope that helps

chaeymaey said:
Is it really possible to high pass many classes? It seems like it would be really tough. I'm trying to choose between EVMS and Gtown right now, so I want to weigh the pros and cons.

Usually, not everyone high passes all of their classes. Biochemistry is notorious for med masters having to repeat. But, most med masters do not have to retake more than 1 or 2. It is definately possible to high pass all classes. Most of the kids I know high passed all their classes last semester and plenty are on track to do it this semester. If you aren't high passing at least some of your classes than it does not look good in the adcoms eyes. But with a strong work ethic it is not unsurmountable by any means.

Tooth

sgod34 said:
will if you wanna go to evms med school you should go there, but if you wanna go soem where else gtown by far is the best option...they have the highest med school rate out of all smp's (around 80%) and it is a really prestigious smp...hope that helps

Their med school admittance rate pales in comparison to EVMS's. 75% with no glide year. The 80% statistic that g-town uses is after 2 years compared to EVMS's 1 year. Prestige? I really don't think that the prestige of where you did your SMP is really going to get you anywhere in your career as a physician.

Tooth

I have also applied to the EVMS Medical Masters program. My application is complete, I'm just waiting to hear back (and have been for a few weeks now). I just got accepted to the 9-month Masters of Health Science in Reproductive Biology program at Johns Hopkins, but the EVMS program looks mighty tempting. If I get in, it's going to be a tough choice between the two.

sorry tooth, what i meant by prestigious is if you wanna go to a different med school it looks more prestigious, if you apply from georgetown vs evms

TiggidyTooth,
I may have asked this before, but are all EVMS SMPers automatically placed on the waiting list at EVMS? You mention that SMPers do not get interviewed until March/April. Are there any SMPers who are accepted outright after the interview? Thanks.
Btw: It's looking like I am going to be EVMS SMPers next fall. Any advice on housing or the reapplication process. Thanks.

confuse, did you already get in? if so can you post your stats please

tooth...what do you mean by "no glide year"? the way i figure, should i not get into med school this year i would have to do the AMCAS again now in order to be accepted to the med school for the following august. is there something i'm missing? i guess the problem arises that i will not have completed the SMP by the time acceptances are given out. maybe you could fill me in on what you did or how other folks at EVMS have done. thanks a lot.

hmm... just got waitlisted... Dr. Meyer says I'm somewhere in the middle.

hopin for the best... news from anyone else?

Nas23 said:
How do you know where you are at? I got my letter at my home, and my family told me I was on the waitlist. Did it say in the letter where you are ranked? Or did you get in touch w/Dr. Meyer?

I just found out today the same that I'm waitlisted, nothing about the position. I called the number on the letter and talked to Dr. Meyer. He told me something about that my MCAT scores are not on file (!!!!!!!) but then it was fixed. However he told me it was hard to tell what part of the waitlist I'm on.
I'm assuming that it looks like we're some of the first to be waitlisted (perhaps we're on the top of it?)
Any ideas of how to get off the waitlist? Would an xtra letter of rec help?

junos187 said:
I just found out today the same that I'm waitlisted, nothing about the position. I called the number on the letter and talked to Dr. Meyer. He told me something about that my MCAT scores are not on file (!!!!!!!) but then it was fixed. However he told me it was hard to tell what part of the waitlist I'm on.
I'm assuming that it looks like we're some of the first to be waitlisted (perhaps we're on the top of it?)
Any ideas of how to get off the waitlist? Would an xtra letter of rec help?

I found out where on the waitlist I was by calling Dr. Meyer. He didn't give me a number, but told me I was somewhere in the middle (so, probably the second 1/3?). As for getting off the waitlist, we just have to wait until spaces open up because as the summer progresses, people get into med school and their spaces are opened up. So... it's just the waiting game. I think that I'm gonna call tomorrow anyway and see if there is anything we can do to enhance our application...

sgod34,
31 MCAT, 3.2 GPA.

thanks that makes me feel good because I just got waitlisted and i have pretty close....29 and 3.0 gpa....i wonder if they have rejected people or if everyone is pretty much waitlisted...other people on waitlist, what are your stats??? good look to everyone

TiggidyTooth said:
Their med school admittance rate pales in comparison to EVMS's. 75% with no glide year. The 80% statistic that g-town uses is after 2 years compared to EVMS's 1 year. Prestige? I really don't think that the prestige of where you did your SMP is really going to get you anywhere in your career as a physician.

Tooth

i think you're getting gtown confused with BU. gtown wants you to apply to med school the same time you're applying into their program pretty much. 50% of the students get into med school with no glide year, and the 80% statistic after 2 years is about right. there is no glide year associated with georgetown.

also, though EVMS and Gtown both have high acceptance rates, the difference is that EVMS medical masters is a class of 16 or so people, and gtown has about 150 smpers. May be a good or a bad thing, depends on what you want I guess.

and what the sgod said about prestige, the 75% or 12 people at the medical masters go ahead on to fill a spot at EVMS itself right? So if you're planning on going to EVMS, the medical masters program is the place to be. However, with georgetown, 20% or around 25 or so get a spot at georgetown med. I think the difference is that if you want more options following the masters program, then georgetown is probably going to help out more. It doesn't matter down the road, a doctor's a doctor, but i'd hate to be part of the 25% at EVMS that did not matriculate and not have other options.

confuse said:
TiggidyTooth,
I may have asked this before, but are all EVMS SMPers automatically placed on the waiting list at EVMS? You mention that SMPers do not get interviewed until March/April. Are there any SMPers who are accepted outright after the interview? Thanks.
Btw: It's looking like I am going to be EVMS SMPers next fall. Any advice on housing or the reapplication process. Thanks.

Yes, all smpers are automatically put on the waitlist. But, it is not the same as traditional applicants. All the smpers here are kind of in the dark in the process but we know that they rank us and start shuffling our acceptances in waves. I beleive there are 3 waves of acceptances for medical masters students. The first is in early June, late june, then mid july. So, it dosent matter where we are on the medical student waitlist, what matters is where you are ranked among your fellow smp students. No medical masters students are accepted outright after their interview.

As far as housing goes a lot of students are in Hague towers though it is a little expensive. Your best bet is to come like a week or 2 early and drive around and using the news paper classifieds.

As far as the reapplication process goes, I highly recommend you complete all secondaries before starting classes. They start you off slow here so there is the illusion that you will have plenty of time to complete your apps but classes pick up fast and you will be working like a dog so get it in early so you don't have to worry about it again.

Tooth

bikedoc1021 said:
tooth...what do you mean by "no glide year"? the way i figure, should i not get into med school this year i would have to do the AMCAS again now in order to be accepted to the med school for the following august. is there something i'm missing? i guess the problem arises that i will not have completed the SMP by the time acceptances are given out. maybe you could fill me in on what you did or how other folks at EVMS have done. thanks a lot.

Typically, students have their amcas already submitted before the program starts. Then in late march we get interviewed and in June we find out about our acceptances. We enroll with the incoming medical student class at the end of the summer, so we dont have to wait an extra year to get into medical schoo. A lot of SMP programs want you to have a complete years' worth of class work completed before you submit amcas. At evms it is the otherway around thus bypassing the need for a glide year.

Tooth

What's about the average GPA of a matriculant to the EVMS medical school from EVMS's biomedical sciences program? Is that all that matters (or at least holds the most weight) when it comes to acceptance.... how much is interview weighted as well as MCATs, undergrad GPA, and EC's?

Also... that number of 75% gettin into EVMS? how true do you guys in the program think that is? Because the website says that MCAT of 22 is what you need to apply.... I realize you guys talking online have a 29, 30, but do people with a 22,23-26 do the program and do really well (which is?) still get in regardless of their MCAT or say a SUPER low undergrad GPA?

Thanks for all the help and goodluck with Waitlists

Hey tooth?

thnx for the inside deal.....what is your sense of what the criteria they are ranking you on....for example is it weighted towards your performance in the program or other things like mcat, gpa, previous app etc.? One more thing if you don't mind did you say anything about if you do get accepted to the med school do you have to repeat the classes you took in the masters program?--Thnks again--ben.

benelswick said:
what is your sense of what the criteria they are ranking you on....for example is it weighted towards your performance in the program or other things like mcat, gpa, previous app etc.? One more thing if you don't mind did you say anything about if you do get accepted to the med school do you have to repeat the classes you took in the masters program?--Thnks again--ben.

The #1 thing they rank the Med Masters students on is their performance in the program (i.e. your grades). Everything else is still somewhat considered and relatively important, but if you don't do well during the year, you're not getting in. When they decide who to accept into the program, they're saying (to an extent) that they can live with your undergrad GPA, MCAT, etc.--if you perform well in the program. You take the majority of the M1 classes with the M1 students, so based on your grades in the classes (a letter grade scale vs. M1's pass/fail) they have a good idea of whether you can survive in medical school...

If you do well enough (usually a grade equivalent to High Pass or better) in the classes during the Med Masters year, you probably won't have to take the class again as an M1--but this is the course director's decision in the end.