MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My PD just called. I almost ignored it because the area code was from a different state

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Congrats to all who matched to their top choices today! And hopefully it's not too discouraging for those who didn't match as highly as they hoped

i accidentally posted in wrong ERAS thread :bag::sorry:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched #1 in surgery...

HOLY ****.

• Love
Reactions: 37 users
Congrats to all of you!!

Reactions: 4 users
#1! Off to Orlando!! I’m going to Disney!

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
Matched my #1 (IM), happy to be sticking around in NYC! Congratulations everyone, we did it!

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Third choice , but I don’t have to move , so that’s a win!

• Love
Reactions: 36 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a position in the hospital system where I worked locally for 5 years previously before medschool. It's almost fate.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
My program already sent me links for onboarding and had me sign and a letter of intent.

• Wow
Reactions: 14 users
I can't help but step back and think about how insane this entire process is.

From applications to interviews to rank lists and getting ghosted by programs. To the costs and the uncertainty, to the match week and the email notifications that MAY come 5 minutes earlier. And to top it all off, programs know the results already, the schools know the results. The most important people though... us... are still waiting. And, our entire lives are chilling, just hanging in the balance. And our significant others, are families, are all waiting too.

This entire process is WHACKY. You couldn't even make this up.

When I applied: I applied prelim and advanced. I got a rejection from one of the advanced programs. However, I later got an invite from their prelim program. So I go interview. You know how we all check our email OBSESSIVELY throughout all this...my phone buzzes as I'm walking through the parking lot of the place where I just interviewed for prelim...and I check. It's ANOTHER, like REPEAT email rejection from the advanced program of that place...literally while I'm still in the parking lot on their property. It's like they knew I was there for a prelim interview and wanted to rub it in.

Can't make this stuff up.

Anyway, congrats all!

If you didn't match as high as you wanted or didn't match at all, try to stay positive. Things will work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Stepped away from this to get trashed. Back to say I matched at my #1! Congrats to everybody!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
Matched at my top choice TY & rads programs! I tried to hold it together but cried over the phone when the PD called. First-gen immigrant, now first-gen physician. Congrats to all of you guys who matched!!!

Now I'm trying to do damage control for my ridiculously congested face before my hot date picks me up for dinner 😎

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Got my #4 EM! My top 5 literally could have been popped in a fish bowl and pulled out for all I cared, they were all worthy of a #1 spot in my book. The rank list got pretty nit-picky in the final stretch.

I’m happy! Westward hooo🤠

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
My PD emailed instead of calling. Probably best for everyone
It's really not that big of a deal. I mean, I get that everyone wants some super supportive PD. But the reality is that a vast majority just want trainees that aren't headaches, can pass the boards to make the numbers look good and in rare instances... be some superstar they can tout for their own benefit to the chair of the department and attract more candidates that aren't headaches.

I mean, they are all generally nice folks, but I personally never talked to my PD after I left residency or fellowship (I mean... I barely talked to them during either period... they had bigger issues to deal with). People expecting more... shouldn't.

Quite honestly... speaking from a prior trainee to a faculty... the less you are required to interact with the PD... that's generally a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hello. Also trashed as can be. Not trashed enough to say I’m a DO and matched my number #1 DR AMA

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Today, we’ve had light, dark, champagne, OJ, margaritas, and boba. Saving the wine for tomorrow I’m mostly okay now since this has been going on since 2pm

I still don't think it's hit me yet. It feels like a giant weight has been lifted but it hasn't hit me that I'm about to start residency soon

Nvm I signed the letter of intent. The train has left the station and is about to hit me like a ton of bricks, lessssssgooooooo

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I dropped to #5 on my list which was really quite shocking when I opened it.

This is the one I kept saying I wanted to switch to 4! And would be mad if I matched to 4 and never had a shot at this one. 2 and 3 were OOS university programs that I wasn’t emotionally invested in but had excellent training in a good city.

my program is an excellent design and was the best fit for me, but it was ranked where it was because it’s OOS and low salary. Neither were deal breakers for me of course, but were negative points.

The day before Match Day people were asking where I felt in my gut I would get. And I said 1 or 5. Yet I was still so shocked when I actually got 5 because I had really envisioned a life around my 1 which is IS, close to all of my family, great program design, and has a very high salary.

so I have a lot to process. The first hour was very hard. Oh and as a bonus I’m currently rotating at my #1 and have 1 week left. And now I hate them.

• Care
Reactions: 25 users

This is the one I kept saying I wanted to switch to 4! And would be mad if I matched to 4 and never had a shot at this one. 2 and 3 were OOS university programs that I wasn’t emotionally invested in but had excellent training in a good city.

my program is an excellent design and was the best fit for me, but it was ranked where it was because it’s OOS and low salary. Neither were deal breakers for me of course, but were negative points.

The day before Match Day people were asking where I felt in my gut I would get. And I said 1 or 5. Yet I was still so shocked when I actually got 5 because I had really envisioned a life around my 1 which is IS, close to all of my family, great program design, and has a very high salary.

so I have a lot to process. The first hour was very hard. Oh and as a bonus I’m currently rotating at my #1 and have 1 week left. And now I hate them.
Screw that number 1 place! F em

Reactions: 7 users

The same thing happened to me last year. Im sorry :(

Reactions: 2 users
Matched our #5 but successfully couples matched and it’s a program I probably would’ve ranked #3 if I wasn’t couples matching so overall super happy. Had too much champagne to check this thread yesterday lol but congrats to everyone!

Reactions: 18 users

Sorry to hear you didn't get your top pick. Are you having to move far, or is it still regional? Hopefully you'll still be able to visit family often.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear you didn't get your top pick. Are you having to move far, or is it still regional? Hopefully you'll still be able to visit family often.
Well I live 1-4 hour drive now (depending on which family member they aren’t all in the same city) and rarely see them. I will be much much much further.

• Care
  • Sad
Well I live 1-4 hour drive now (depending on which family member they aren’t all in the same city) and rarely see them. I will be much much much further.
Sometimes flying ends up being more efficient when you're farther out - will that be the case for you?

Honestly this situation sucks - we've all worked hard all of these years and still so many things are not in our control. But #5 really wanted you and I really believe we'll all shine where we end up <3

• Care
I matched to my #2 TY and #4 for PM&R. I was more surprised about the TY than anything because I was hoping to go to a certain location for intern year. That was pretty disappointing but happy about the advanced program though

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
How is everyone thanking the attendings/residents who have helped you throughout medical school? Can't decide between sending emails or hand-written notes

How is everyone thanking the attendings/residents who have helped you throughout medical school? Can't decide between sending emails or hand-written notes
I sent texts.

Reactions: 6 users
Just popping in for continuity to say I matched at my #2. Couldn’t be more grateful to land a GS categorical spot with my stats and *ahem* years of wisdom...

You guys have been so supportive to this old dog. I will look back on this thread any time I need a reminder of how lucky I am to be here and how many friends I’ve had along the way.

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
Just popping in for continuity to say I matched at my #2. Couldn’t be more grateful to land a GS categorical spot with my stats and *ahem* years of wisdom...

You guys have been so supportive to this old dog. I will look back on this thread any time I need a reminder of how lucky I am to be here and how many friends I’ve had along the way.
Congrats! How old are you? I’m an old dog too lol

Anyone know when we should be expecting to sign our contracts? House shopping awaits!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when we should be expecting to sign our contracts? House shopping awaits!
As early as yesterday I think some get sent out. Certainly today. That said — program dependent!