MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m curious if some programs have relocation expense reimbursements. Some of my previous jobs had that up to a few grand . My wife and I are planning on throwing away/ selling a lot of stuff because it is close to end of life anyway furniture is sagging has rips etc . This is provided we have to move greater than 500 miles away. Living in what is essentially poverty for then past 4 years makes me feel less terrible about doing this considering we did not make any large purchases in something like a decade .

Members don't see this ad.

Also do we just get an email today around noon ? Or do programs tend to call the matches? I hope I don’t have to FaceTime or something like that .

Reactions: 7 users
I’m curious if some programs have relocation expense reimbursements. Some of my previous jobs had that up to a few grand . My wife and I are planning on throwing away/ selling a lot of stuff because it is close to end of life anyway furniture is sagging has rips etc . This is provided we have to move greater than 500 miles away. Living in what is essentially poverty for then past 4 years makes me feel less terrible about doing this considering we did not make any large purchases in something like a decade .
Some do

Members don't see this ad :)
Also do we just get an email today around noon ? Or do programs tend to call the matches? I hope I don’t have to FaceTime or something like that .
I imagine you’ll get your email before any PD calls you.

Reactions: 5 users
we get an email. Some PDs apparently call

I’ve only seen it with my prelims/TYs. Biggest was 5k.

Reactions: 1 users
Talking to drunk partying interns-to-be is my fav part of the year.

"Wah, who ish thiss? Iss so loud here I can't hear you? Dr who? WAIT, MY NEW BOSS?" Then, mic covered but still audible "I'm so dead"
This is my favorite SDN post of all time

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else paranoid googling all the programs because They dont remember the PD names for every program ?

• Love
Will it say where I match in the email or do I need my login info?

Reactions: 1 user
we get an email. Some PDs apparently call
Mine does. But i was bitter I didnt get my number one so i didnt answer my phone.... dont behave like me

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Will it say where I match in the email or do I need my login info?
Got an email from NRMP that had my results in it. Same way you got the email on Monday.

I’ve done the long distance moves several ways including full service moving companies and U-Haul rentals. The most pleasant by far was Atlas Van Lines. It took a lot of stress out of it. I packed some of the smaller crap myself and let them handle everything else. I also appreciated carrying exactly zero boxes anywhere during the initial pack or when my stuff was getting moved into my new place, and I appreciated that my contribution during the actual transportation process itself was just showing up with the keys.

It’s like half off if you’re a AAA member, which is pretty cheap to join (~$70/year I think). It was a little over $2k for a ~800 mile move with them in 2014 for the contents of a two bedroom apartment (paid for by the company I was going to work for, which was nice). Original quote was near $5k before the AAA discount. For the record, that was not for a full pack. That costs a whole lot more.

I would especially recommend this if you’re getting moving expenses reimbursement from your fancy new job. Max it out, homes. Residency salary sucks for the number of hours you’re putting in and the work you’re going to be doing, so don’t feel bad.
To save money, we packed and I drove the largest size Penske truck you can rent without a CDL....took it from DFW to CA. It was not a fun experience to drive something that god-awefully big. The move from CA to PA for med school, we went with U-pack. U-pack drops off a trailer and you load it yourself....the charge is based on the volume of the trailer you fill. Then a driver picks up the trailer and delivers it to your destination. We'll probably go with this company again in a couple of months.

Reactions: 2 users
Low key I really hope I get a call from the PD today

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
YOOOOOOO LETS GO!!! GET HYPED EVERYONE! YA'LL EARNED THIS!

For real, everyone enjoy today regardless of the outcomes. It will all work out in the end. Incredibly thankful for this community for all the help over the last ~5 years. SDN has been the unsung hero in my journey.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
F162F750-6D90-4D0F-A81E-EA4119298425.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Got a call from a restricted number while showering. Was it my PD? Was it someone calling to warn me about my cars impending expiration of its extended warranty?

Mystery.

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Got a call from a restricted number while showering. Was it my PD? Was it someone calling to warn me about my cars impending expiration of its extended warranty?

Mystery.

It's both.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Just started watching Justice league on HBO to kill time. I'll still have 2 hours left after the announcement!

The email will probably come about 5 minutes before it says it's supposed to. It will have all your match results in it.

Most people are contacted by their new program some time later in the day.

Reactions: 3 users
Omg I just got a call with an area code from my core site and my heart sunk.

turned out it was CVS Pharmacy automated call.
😒
I'll do you one better. I just now got an email from one of the programs I interviewed at. Thanking me for considering their residency program and that they're eagerly awaiting Match Day results and asking me to complete a brief and anonymous recruitment survey.
-messed with my head there for a second until I had it fully opened.

• Wow
  • Haha
I'll do you one better. I just now got an email from one of the programs I interviewed at. Thanking me for considering their residency program and that they're eagerly awaiting Match Day results and asking me to complete a brief and anonymous recruitment survey.
Hah, i got one of those from my number 1 that i promptly trashed

but yes, the timing could have been way better!

Lol that is cruel

I can't help but step back and think about how insane this entire process is.

From applications to interviews to rank lists and getting ghosted by programs. To the costs and the uncertainty, to the match week and the email notifications that MAY come 5 minutes earlier. And to top it all off, programs know the results already, the schools know the results. The most important people though... us... are still waiting. And, our entire lives are chilling, just hanging in the balance. And our significant others, are families, are all waiting too.

This entire process is WHACKY. You couldn't even make this up.

Reactions: 7 users

From applications to interviews to rank lists and getting ghosted by programs. To the costs and the uncertainty, to the match week and the email notifications that MAY come 5 minutes earlier. And to top it all off, programs know the results already, the schools know the results. The most important people though... us... are still waiting. And, our entire lives are chilling, just hanging in the balance. And our significant others, are families, are all waiting too.

There’s legit no reason this couldn’t be released at like 5am so we can just wake up and read the results.

• Hmm
There’s legit no reason this couldn’t be released at like 5am so we can just wake up and read the results.

Doubt anybody would sleep if that happens. But I agree, the week-long wait is just cruel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Works that way for people in Hawai'i... well 6 am at least. Though, I doubt being there calms the nerves...

...that's what the Mai Tais are for.

Last edited:

Step 3 results come in at midnight. I got mine this week and can confirm it's true.

• Wow
Just received a phone call from the area code of my number one choice... my heart started racing. Would they call early? What is this about?

Turns out Suzanne was just really concerned about my cars expired warranty. Not now Suzanne!

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Tachycardia is getting bad .
If you match your first choice or last you will still be a physician at the end of the day.
congrats SDN fam our neurosis brought us and kept us together. But it definitely has been rewarding to watch all of us grow and figure out what we wanted to do at the end of the day . You guys provided me with the real advice about not only how to do pass medical school , but how to do well . Every program is going to be lucky to have this crew .

and I feel like I know some of you better than most of my classmates . Even though we have never met irl.
And praise be to anki , my one true savior .

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
YOOOOOOO LETS GO!!! GET HYPED EVERYONE! YA'LL EARNED THIS!

For real, everyone enjoy today regardless of the outcomes. It will all work out in the end. Incredibly thankful for this community for all the help over the last ~5 years. SDN has been the unsung hero in my journey.
You're absolutely right. I joined even before I got accepted to med school!

And look where we all are now!

It is an amazing and impressive achievement. Let us be thankful and celebrate with the ones we love!!!!

Just received a phone call from the area code of my number one choice... my heart started racing. Would they call early? What is this about?

Turns out Suzanne was just really concerned about my cars expired warranty. Not now Suzanne!
chris pratt dinosaurs GIF by Omaze

Just started watching Justice league on HBO to kill time. I'll still have 2 hours left after the announcement!
I did EXACTLY the same thing last night. Fell asleep through half of it. But just finished it! Way better than the theatrical version, BTW.

The suspense is literally going to kill me. I vomited when I woke up this morning lol

Reactions: 8 users
I loved it for the pockets and the warmth it provided at 2:30 am as you ponder your life choices whilst you write another cream for some sort of rash that the night shift nurse discovered on their one assessment of the patient. Trust me, writing pointless orders is much better warm than freezing your butt off when your endogenous cortisol hits rock bottom at the wee hours of the morning.
I learned as an intern that the way to stop those annoying 2:30 am phone calls about silly things is to give whomever calls you a task to do. Preferable an onerous task.

Hope all of you match to great places!

• Love
I am in shock. I matched my #1. I was initially on the waitlist for an interview. My stats were below the average for the program. I can’t believe it. So happy!

• Love
Reactions: 29 users