MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, now that the 4th years know where they’re going, it’s time for us neurotic 3rd years to start thinking about the process.

Anyways, I’ve heard through the grapevine that they’re planning to do next season virtually as well. Has anyone else heard this/has something official to back it up?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Participating and watching intently. Thank you for starting this! You were 36 minutes late, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@fldoctorgirl time to start daydreaming/freaking out about this exact day a year from now
Sh**, not ready. Not ready at all.

On the bright side, someone from my school SOAPed into a spot at a program I'd be happy to go to (at least from my preliminary web-browsing of the program....maybe they really suck IRL) so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances of ending up in the region I want.

Reactions: 2 users
oh god so we're starting this then

Anyways, I’ve heard through the grapevine that they’re planning to do next season virtually as well. Has anyone else heard this/has something official to back it up?

Per a PD at my school a couple weeks ago, he suspected that this year will likely be some hybrid of virtual + maybe some in person things. Maybe virtual for most but in person for local students, or virtual interviews + some kind of second look. but he said it's all subject to change dramatically any time in the next 6 months or so depending on what the world looks like

Reactions: 1 users

Per a PD at my school a couple weeks ago, he suspected that this year will likely be some hybrid of virtual + maybe some in person things. Maybe virtual for most but in person for local students, or virtual interviews + some kind of second look. but he said it's all subject to change dramatically any time in the next 6 months or so depending on what the world looks like
I'd honestly be okay with this. I'd like going in-person for programs in my area and virtually for all others. Save me some money and also a good opportunity to show programs that I'm already in the area so I'm serious about them. I really want to match in my region, though, so I could see how this would suck for others who want to go somewhere else.

The “can change dramatically at any time” bit is giving me a little anxiety lol

Honestly, if they made an “in person” cap per applicant I would be ok with that. As in, 5 in person interviews per applicant, the rest virtual.

Sh**, not ready. Not ready at all.

On the bright side, someone from my school SOAPed into a spot at a program I'd be happy to go to (at least from my preliminary web-browsing of the program....maybe they really suck IRL) so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances of ending up in the region I want.
So far, the matches at my school have been....uninspiring. I’ll have to wait and see what the full list bears out, but right now it’s lots of uber-rural FM. If that’s what they wanted, good for them, but I have no idea how many of them had these programs as their top choices.

So far, the matches at my school have been....uninspiring. I’ll have to wait and see what the full list bears out, but right now it’s lots of uber-rural FM. If that’s what they wanted, good for them, but I have no idea how many of them had these programs as their top choices.
Mine is looking good but it's based on self-report from the Facebook page. Lots of university programs for IM and EM, some ortho, even an ENT. Lots of people saying they got their #1.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is looking good but it's based on self-report from the Facebook page. Lots of university programs for IM and EM, some ortho, even an ENT. Lots of people saying they got their #1.
Well, someone matched at my #1 choice but for a different specialty. Maybe still helpful to have another DO at the institution.

1616173463547.png

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a neurosurgery match. And integrated vascular. Damn.

• Wow
Our match list looks pretty good this year, and somehow it seems like half the class is going into Ortho

I doubt virtual is here to stay. I found it to be awkward and hard to gauge people. I know from a fellowship perspective... nearly everyone in my group hated it.
I’m ambivalent about it. The expense is huge to fly out to the east coast and the time constraints suck, but virtual also just seems like a **** show. I say cap in-person at 5 and leave it be.

I’m ambivalent about it. The expense is huge to fly out to the east coast and the time constraints suck, but virtual also just seems like a **** show. I say cap in-person at 5 and leave it be.
Cap what at in-person? 5 in-person interviews and the rest virtual? That would essentially give the in-person people a giant leg up in my opinion. That would also create a huge headache for programs. Who gets to be the 5 that interview in person? It would probably be the ones with the strongest application. I can imagine what a cluster that would be.

Cap what at in-person? 5 in-person interviews and the rest virtual? That would essentially give the in-person people a giant leg up in my opinion. That would also create a huge headache for programs. Who gets to be the 5 that interview in person? It would probably be the ones with the strongest application. I can imagine what a cluster that would be.
Not 5 cap for the program, 5 cap for the students. When they get an interview invite, choose between virtual or in-person and have the system keep track. Every med student gets 5 in person at their top 5 interviews and the rest they can do virtual. Are there issues with that approach? Yes, but it seems like a fair trade off.

Not 5 cap for the program, 5 cap for the students. When they get an interview invite, choose between virtual or in-person and have the system keep track. Every med student gets 5 in person at their top 5 interviews and the rest they can do virtual. Are there issues with that approach? Yes, but it seems like a fair trade off.
Yeah, that shifts the burden to the programs and unevenly. Some top program is gonna have all in-person interviews and some low tier program is gonna have all virtual. I doubt the programs would be agreeable to that, especially since they didn't have a say in the matter.

Anywho, I agree with NAPD in that whatever the top-tier program do, the others will follow suit. I just don't expect them to stay virtual. There’s literally no incentive to do so.

Last edited:
Yeah, that shifts the burden to the programs and unevenly. Some top program is gonna have all in-person interviews and some low tier program is gonna have all virtual. I doubt the programs would be agreeable to that, especially since they didn't have a say in the matter.

Anywho, I agree with NAPD in that whatever the top-tier program do, the others will follow suit. I just don't expect them to stay virtual. There’s literally no incentive to do so.
Well, time to start setting aside even more money for the flights for me. Flying from the west coast won't be fun for my wallet, but if I get to interview at the places I want, I'll be happy. Plus, I'll hopefully stop by Maine and get a lobster roll and some New England style IPAs :cigar:

Lmao yessss neuroticism for the win

*queue me looking at SOAP threads and starting to stress about how many programs I should apply to*

no but seriously, this is a big dilemma of mine

*queue me looking at SOAP threads and starting to stress about how many programs I should apply to*

no but seriously, this is a big dilemma of mine
My take is that it sucks to be part of the problem with regards to app proliferation but there is no way I am going to risk my own well-being for the rest of my life in playing things "kind of" safe. I wish we had a better solution for our app cycle.

Didn't programs find that there was no interview hoarding going on with ERAS and no significant difference from a regular cycle?

My take is that it sucks to be part of the problem with regards to app proliferation but there is no way I am going to risk my own well-being for the rest of my life in playing things "kind of" safe. I wish we had a better solution for our app cycle.
I agree. The dilemma lies more in that I want to go back to my home state, which has like 30ish programs that I will apply to. I'm applying IM with a 250+, so the realistic part of me is like 30-40 should be fine (will add programs from my med school state probably). But I'm like...I probably need more right??? I don't know.

I agree. The dilemma lies more in that I want to go back to my home state, which has like 30ish programs that I will apply to. I'm applying IM with a 250+, so the realistic part of me is like 30-40 should be fine (will add programs from my med school state probably). But I'm like...I probably need more right??? I don't know.
I’m planning to apply to 40 DR programs and am going to reach out to 4-5 that are at the top of my list if I don’t hear back quickly.

Let’s do this C’o 22! I recognize some of y’all from med school apps days

Reactions: 5 users
Reddit is a scary place today...I am scared.

Reading all these people who didn't match, even with good stats. Scaryyyy.
My low ranked MD school had a pre-SOAP match rate of like 92 but 100% post soap. Depends on what you want to do I guess. I want to do Anesthesia but if I have to SOAP into IM or something I would be fine or cool with that.

Reading all these people who didn't match, even with good stats. Scaryyyy.
I read on here anything past 15 interviews (especially for FM) is overkill, but I can't help to have an urge to overapply next year just to be safe..

People on reddit are saying that FM programs they interviewed at mentioned they would be doing online interviews next year. What hectic times we live in.

People on reddit are saying that FM programs they interviewed at mentioned they would be doing online interviews next year. What hectic times we live in.
Meh. I am so conflicted about this. It's easier for sure but I don't know. Guess we'll have to wait and see data on this cycle and how interviews were distributed.

Well guys we're up next! Happy to be on the last leg of this crazy journey with all of you.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Meh. I am so conflicted about this. It's easier for sure but I don't know. Guess we'll have to wait and see data on this cycle and how interviews were distributed.
Yeah. I’m definitely going to reach out to my top few programs if I don’t get an interview, mainly to make my case to the ones that I have no ties to but are places where I know I would be very happy (slightly more rural, snowy winters for skiing, mountainous for climbing and biking, etc).

Yeah. I’m definitely going to reach out to my top few programs if I don’t get an interview, mainly to make my case to the ones that I have no ties to but are places where I know I would be very happy (slightly more rural, snowy winters for skiing, mountainous for climbing and biking, etc).
Same. I get stressed about yield protection even though multiple people have told me it's not a thing for residency apps. I'm basically making a huge focus of my PS the fact that I want to be home, and then I will reach out to PDs if I don't hear anything in the first few weeks from my top spots.

Our Admin have said expect virtual interviews. Potential in person second look

• Hmm
IM PDs where I am at are themselves unsure but would say more likely than not that interviews are going to be virtual again.

Decided to make 50 apps my target number. Part of me still wants to make it more because I'm neurotic but I'm going to try to keep it to 50.

Reactions: 4 users
Decided to make 50 apps my target number. Part of me still wants to make it more because I'm neurotic but I'm going to try to keep it to 50.
Same. 50-60 was always my goal and unless I do really poorly on Step 2, I think I should be ok.