MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone thinking ahead and may be doing a cross country move/multi-state move? Any experience with this? Or moving companies in general? Looking online casually and the pods company seems simple enough they drop one off and you load it up and they move it to your next place. I don't really mind packing and moving it, it's the driving the truck 12 hours to a different state that I'm trying to avoid
Check out pack rat, there containers are bigger than pods and if you get a quote from pods pack rat will beat it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone thinking ahead and may be doing a cross country move/multi-state move? Any experience with this? Or moving companies in general? Looking online casually and the pods company seems simple enough they drop one off and you load it up and they move it to your next place. I don't really mind packing and moving it, it's the driving the truck 12 hours to a different state that I'm trying to avoid
We did the UBox pod for our last move (it wasn't fully cross-country, but far enough we didn't want to drive a uhaul). Was also the most affordable and we definitely saved by not having to replace any furniture for med school.

honestly, it feels like medtwitter overall did not match well.
I don't think it's really representative right now, though probably depends who you follow - i saw a ton of celebratory posts on monday including many very competitive specialties, but the soap posts are getting a lot more amplification as the people who matched well are still waiting to find out final results. And I think people are being more open about not matching when in the past we just would never have heard about it. I'm not sure how good of an idea some of the stuff happening on twitter right now is (I've seen some stuff that i think might border on match violations) but for better or worse it has become a professional networking site so people are doing everything they can think of to find a spot

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UHaul. Their vehicles are affordable for a 2 day rental period and if you need professional movers for a minimum of 2 hours, UHaul has several companies they work with. There may be cheaper options but UHaul is well known and pretty solid. The vehicles (whether you rent a moving truck or buy a trailer to hitch to your pick up) are not hard to drive either.
I normally do this with each multi-state move I've done in the past. I'm trying to avoid driving a trailer or my own uhaul. Leaning towards one of those pods and just pack it up and meet it at the destination. I'm willing to shell some money to save stress of driving a uhaul 60 mph for 14 hours

I don't think it's really representative right now, though probably depends who you follow - i saw a ton of celebratory posts on monday including many very competitive specialties, but the soap posts are getting a lot more amplification as the people who matched well are still waiting to find out final results. And I think people are being more open about not matching when in the past we just would never have heard about it. I'm not sure how good of an idea some of the stuff happening on twitter right now is (I've seen some stuff that i think might border on match violations) but for better or worse it has become a professional networking site so people are doing everything they can think of to find a spot
I’m not very into med Twitter. I have a Twitter account but I only follow/am followed by <10 medicine related people and didn’t make a special professional account (the bulk of my Twitter is related to my undergrad sports teams). However, I did search some of the related tags the last couple days. I have seen a ton of stuff that crosses the line of a match violation.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Just got this. Is this a SCAM? Or someone hacked into that person's account?

How someone would be asking for SOAP information when SOAP is virtually over? Did anyone else got this?

IMAGE DELETED

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

How someone would be asking for SOAP information when SOAP is virtually over? Did anyone else got this?

View attachment 332821
The SOAP is over as of 3pm today, I believe. Either NRMP fishing for match violations or someone that is extremely....and i mean extremely... uninformed

View attachment 332821
Ignore that. Even if it’s real, there’s no helping that person for multiple reasons.

@drplzz Why would it be inappropriate? This is clearly not real and others may as well fall for this. In the extremely remote possibility this may be real, this should have been asked publicly (as it is often done).

Guys. Our schools have known for hours. Our programs know now too.

😱😱😱😱😱😱

Any idea where you'll be going? I'm shooting for IM as well but ended up ranking other specialties. Any would be awesome, really.

View attachment 332821
Based on that account's post history, they were already in a cat IM position but trying to soap into rads in 2014... I dunno what their motives are but its completely fishy

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
@drplzz Why would it be inappropriate? This is clearly not real and others may as well fall for this. In the extremely remote possibility this may be real, this should have been asked publicly (as it is often done).
did not know that's what that symbol meant. i meant "no" as in don't respond. my bad! removed it!

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210318-154503_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210318-154503_Firefox.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 70
I did the UBox for rotations and will do it again for residency. Saved me a lot of headaches. I am likely going to have to somehow ship my vehicle or do a straight shot drive after my wedding, which stresses me a little bit but I'm still a 3rd year so I have time to figure that **** out.

I did the UBox for rotations and will do it again for residency. Saved me a lot of headaches. I am likely going to have to somehow ship my vehicle or do a straight shot drive after my wedding, which stresses me a little bit but I'm still a 3rd year so I have time to figure that **** out.
Depending on where you're going (and how the pandemic's going in regards to shared transit), there are also trains that can take your car! I took one from VA to FL for med school, and packed my car completely full of all of my belongings so I didn't have to ship those separately. I wasn't moving any furniture though. It was a long train ride but i splurged on a sleeper car and it was so much more pleasant than making the drive solo.

Guys. Our schools have known for hours. Our programs know now too.

😱😱😱😱😱😱
Yeah this made it WAY more real for me. My post match excitement has changed to post match anxiety AND excitement.

• Care
Im excited for you all! We have a little thing planned and my PD calls everyone individually congratulating them

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Depending on where you're going (and how the pandemic's going in regards to shared transit), there are also trains that can take your car! I took one from VA to FL for med school, and packed my car completely full of all of my belongings so I didn't have to ship those separately. I wasn't moving any furniture though. It was a long train ride but i splurged on a sleeper car and it was so much more pleasant than making the drive solo.

Just a heads up to the others, most car shipping companies don’t let you have anything in your car.

Im excited for you all! We have a little thing planned and my PD calls everyone individually congratulating them

That’s awesome! I hope my program does that, no matter which one I get!

I like the thought, but I'm nervous about my first call with the PD being when I'm a bit... celebratory

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
My PD also does that too. It's a nice touch. I don't know anything about how my program matched because this is my vacation week and I've completely disconnected from all things residency this week. haha

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Hope you all get into your top choices!

None of it really feels real to you get that white coat with your name and degree embroidered on it...

...followed by that amazing feeling of getting ushered into that auditorium with your fellow interns as you sit and listen to a 8 hour presentation on HIPAA violations and what occupational health does.

Only then do you really feel what doctoring is like.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25 users
None of it really feels real to you get that white coat with your name and degree embroidered on it...

...followed by that amazing feel of getting ushered into that auditorium with your fellow interns as you sit and listen to a 8 hour presentation on HIPAA violations and what occupational health does.
Im 9 months in and ive worn it once for a meeting thingie where the guy running it makes a big deal about white coats lol

Im 9 months in and ive worn it once for a meeting thingie where the guy running it makes a big deal about white coats lol
I loved it for the pockets and the warmth it provided at 2:30 am as you ponder your life choices whilst you write another cream for some sort of rash that the night shift nurse discovered on their one assessment of the patient. Trust me, writing pointless orders is much better warm than freezing your butt off when your endogenous cortisol hits rock bottom at the wee hours of the morning.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I loved it for the pockets and the warmth it provided at 2:30 am as you ponder your life choices whilst you write another cream for some sort of rash that the night shift nurse discovered on their one assessment of the patient. Trust me, writing pointless orders is much better warm than freezing your butt off when your endogenous cortisol hits rock bottom at the wee hours of the morning.

That’s what the patagucci is for.

• Hmm
Did your program tell you already? I'm so jealous, I know we filled but they won't tell us who until the evening of Match day!
No, we dont know the who! Just that theyre happy and matched well on their ROL

Just a heads up to the others, most car shipping companies don’t let you have anything in your car.
yeah this train is meant more for people traveling WITH their cars, so they specifically advertise that you can "pack your car like a suitcase"... so I took that liberally lol. I definitely wouldn't do that for normal car shipping

I like the thought, but I'm nervous about my first call with the PD being when I'm a bit... celebratory
Talking to drunk partying interns-to-be is my fav part of the year.

"Wah, who ish thiss? Iss so loud here I can't hear you? Dr who? WAIT, MY NEW BOSS?" Then, mic covered but still audible "I'm so dead"

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 30 users
Guys, aside from opening step 1 scores and the email on Monday this is the most nervous I've been in med school by far. What a weird feeling. It just hit me. I have a job lined up and genuinely and actively like almost every program on my list and yet I'm still nervous due to the unknown.

This process on paper reads like a terrible novel. This process in real life is indescribable.

Hold me bbys

• Care
Reactions: 25 users
Guys, aside from opening step 1 scores and the email on Monday this is the most nervous I've been in med school by far. What a weird feeling. It just hit me. I have a job lined up and genuinely and actively like almost every program on my list and yet I'm still nervous due to the unknown.

This process on paper reads like a terrible novel. This process in real life is indescribable.

Hold me bbys
I was surprisingly fine all week and now I’m more stressed than I’ve ever been. I’d rather go through waiting for step 1 5 times than do this wait ever again. Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Reactions: 6 users
I’ve done the long distance moves several ways including full service moving companies and U-Haul rentals. The most pleasant by far was Atlas Van Lines. It took a lot of stress out of it. I packed some of the smaller crap myself and let them handle everything else. I also appreciated carrying exactly zero boxes anywhere during the initial pack or when my stuff was getting moved into my new place, and I appreciated that my contribution during the actual transportation process itself was just showing up with the keys.

It’s like half off if you’re a AAA member, which is pretty cheap to join (~$70/year I think). It was a little over $2k for a ~800 mile move with them in 2014 for the contents of a two bedroom apartment (paid for by the company I was going to work for, which was nice). Original quote was near $5k before the AAA discount. For the record, that was not for a full pack. That costs a whole lot more.

I would especially recommend this if you’re getting moving expenses reimbursement from your fancy new job. Max it out, homes. Residency salary sucks for the number of hours you’re putting in and the work you’re going to be doing, so don’t feel bad.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been up most of the night and now I'm also tipsy. which has made this process a whole lot better tbh would recommend lol

Reactions: 7 users
It’s gonna be a long ass morning.