Co’23 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ooh a bean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit late but better than never right?? MD & DO - Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

Anyway, any thoughts on how difficult it'll be to get away rotations given that there won't be any restrictions this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I'll get some of this started. What are y'all putting for the hours per week and reason for leaving sections for research experiences? I'm thinking of just leaving those blank

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah same, if anything when they ask in an interview it can be a talking point

Yeah same, if anything when they ask in an interview it can be a talking point
How would not answering specific questions they are asking help? Wouldn't that signal the answers are something you are not eager to share, and make it at least a little less likely you'll have the opportunity to tackle those talking points in an interview?

How would not answering specific questions they are asking help? Wouldn't that signal the answers are something you are not eager to share, and make it at least a little less likely you'll have the opportunity to tackle those talking points in an interview?

Interviewer: "I see you have no hours down per week for this activity. How much time did you dedicate towards it?"
Applicant: "Yes it was difficult to gauge weekly hours because of the varied time gaps. For example some weeks I would work on it for 5 hours, other times we had gaps spanning over holiday months where very little or any time was spent. Overall for the 1 year I was involved in the activity I would say I spent 100 hours total."

Interviewer: "I see. After those 100 hours over one year, I see you left. Was there a specific reason you left?"
Applicant: "yes....

Reactions: 2 users
Nobody is really going to look that closely. This isn't undergrad, the number of "research hours" you list doesn't matter--obviously the amount of time you can spend on research would vary wildly depending on what stage of school you're in. What matters is the quality of the research, your personal involvement, and if you have any deliverables (posters/presentations/pubs). So unless it is very straightforward to answer those questions, I think they are left as optional for a reason and would not exert any significant effort to coming up with an answer for them.

I would have some ballpark estimate in mind of how much time you spent doing "research" in case you're asked, but that really is just an asinine question at the residency interview stage, IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
Nobody is really going to look that closely. This isn't undergrad, the number of "research hours" you list doesn't matter--obviously the amount of time you can spend on research would vary wildly depending on what stage of school you're in. What matters is the quality of the research, your personal involvement, and if you have any deliverables (posters/presentations/pubs). So unless it is very straightforward to answer those questions, I think they are left as optional for a reason and would not exert any significant effort to coming up with an answer for them.

I would have some ballpark estimate in mind of how much time you spent doing "research" in case you're asked, but that really is just an asinine question at the residency interview stage, IMO.
How about the reason for leaving question? I'm still a few years away but, based on the med school applications, I'd be afraid of being passed over for an interview if I chose to not answer specific questions asked, on the assumption that answers are expected. I am not an applicant this year, so I don't have access to the application, but no one indicated that these questions were marked as optional. Did I miss that?

I've been procrastinating on ERAS lmao, need to get my stuff together, but I heard you can knock it out in like 2-3 days

but, based on the med school applications
Don't base your expectations on med school applications. If you're applying to a field that cares about research then your research output should speak for itself. If you're applying to a field that doesn't care, then they're really not going to care about why you stopped doing research.

Other than research are y'all leaving out all the extra curricular stuff from undergrad? Like I was president of a STEM club but I don't think I'm putting that kind of stuff on my app.

Prune extracurrics that are not relevant. Keep anything that you might want to talk about / are proud of. The more stuff you list, the less of it I read.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the supplemental app?
Should we list other things besides what’s already in our experiences section? Such as AI rotations, etc?

Is a Dean's Letter or Chairman's Letter and MSPE the same thing? :unsure:

For the supplemental app and the geographic preferences do you think it is okay to pick three and leave the description blank? Like in one of my preferred regions I may have family in one state but am applying to multiple states within that region and don't want to alienate the other states.

What about the supplemental app?
Should we list other things besides what’s already in our experiences section? Such as AI rotations, etc?
Please do NOT write about your AI in the supp. Think of it this way: programs that use the supp app are likely to only read the experiences you list there, and not the rest on your application. So pick up to 5 that you think best showcase what you have to offer.
For the supplemental app and the geographic preferences do you think it is okay to pick three and leave the description blank? Like in one of my preferred regions I may have family in one state but am applying to multiple states within that region and don't want to alienate the other states.
Yes you can leave the reason blank.

Reactions: 1 users
@NotAProgDirector

Can you confirm if it's true or not that it doesn't matter when you submit your apps up until the day that PDs can see them (for this year 9/28)? Meaning that it doesn't matter if you submit 9/7 or 9/20, for both it will show submitted on 9/28 from a PD perspective?

Thanks!

@NotAProgDirector

Can you confirm if it's true or not that it doesn't matter when you submit your apps up until the day that PDs can see them (for this year 9/28)? Meaning that it doesn't matter if you submit 9/7 or 9/20, for both it will show submitted on 9/28 from a PD perspective?

Thanks!
Exactly

@NotAProgDirector

Thanks!

Yes this is true. No matter when you submit or apply, the earliest date we see is the first day eras opens for programs. This is no different from prior years

Just don’t be a fool and wait until the last minute and then be late

Reactions: 5 users
I've been thinking that signaling tokens may make this cycle more interesting for the specialties that are using them.
Ya ortho is doing 30 signals. Everyone is assuming is pretty much an application cap. Since if you don’t signal a program you are pretty much telling them they aren’t in your top 30 choices. Will be interesting to see how it plays out

Is there a consensus on what to list as research experiences?
I was advised that small projects (single presentation, case report, etc.) can be omitted and to only list them in the publications section vs. more longitudinal projects where you can list it both as a research experience and as a pub/presentation. Curious if this is what others are doing or not

I was advised that small projects (single presentation, case report, etc.) can be omitted and to only list them in the publications section vs. more longitudinal projects where you can list it both as a research experience and as a pub/presentation. Curious if this is what others are doing or not
I would not list a case report as a research experience and instead would just list as a pub.

Same for small presentations. And for the love of all that is good and holy, please do not list presentations that you gave to your IM team as part of your routine rotation as a "presentation."

I’m listing the small stuff like posters/presentations (not routine IM presentations lol) in the pubs section and then the big stuff like long term projects that led to peer reviewed publications in both sections

Awesome. That’s what I was planning on doing, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t misunderstanding something

Wondering about my chances at matching at some of the more 'competitive' (but not MGH-tier of course) IM programs. My step scores are both pretty solid, I've got mostly honors on clerkships, as well as AOA. However my research experience is pretty garbage. I'm an MD student at a mid-tier school in the Midwest, hoping for fellowship after residency, maybe cards. Thoughts on how much my poor research output will hamper me in the pursuit of 't25-30 tier' IM programs?

I would not list a case report as a research experience and instead would just list as a pub.

Same for small presentations. And for the love of all that is good and holy, please do not list presentations that you gave to your IM team as part of your routine rotation as a "presentation."

That was some of my best work though :rofl:

• Haha
So you are supposed to describe the 5 meaningful experiences for supplemental in 300 chars whereas you already get 1000 chars for ERAS experiences section?

This makes no sense to me; it feels like it should be the other way around?

What are you guys putting down for this section?

Me describing a most meaningful experience in 300 characters
CAE30051-7C75-4B6A-A13E-D92B0E943E79.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yeah, perhaps I would go for a Haiku in this section lolz

What has been the processing times (after school or preceptor upload them) for MSPE and LOR in the weeks leading up to the deadline (ie. 9/28 for this year) in the past years?
It seems like processing time was very long this July because they were busy processing fellowship applications. I 've heard 3 weeks to process LOR or MSPE. It seems to have gotten faster recently, but wondering what I should expect for mid September.
Thank you!

What has been the processing times (after school or preceptor upload them) for MSPE and LOR in the weeks leading up to the deadline (ie. 9/28 for this year) in the past years?
It seems like processing time was very long this July because they were busy processing fellowship applications. I 've heard 3 weeks to process LOR or MSPE. It seems to have gotten faster recently, but wondering what I should expect for mid September.
Thank you!

With regards to LORs, isn't it immediate? I've had two letters instantly verified once the writers uploaded them.

I guess it's different for IMGs. Our LORs also have a processing time of few days.

For the ERAS experiences, I've been doing bullet points but others have done sentences. Not sure which way I should lead here

hello, fellow TIRED AF MS4 applying for obgyn this year.
Anyone else on the verge of crying with how stressful the next few months is about to be. No? just me:sleep:

I see most programs asking for a CV to be submitted through ERAS but I do not see a place in ERAS where a CV can be uploaded.

The CV is automatically created from your ERAS application. It's got exactly the same information on it as the ERAS application, just displayed differently. You have no control over it.

Reactions: 4 users
For the ERAS experiences, I've been doing bullet points but others have done sentences. Not sure which way I should lead here
Doesn't matter. Probably easier for the people reading your application if you do it in bullet form.

For the supp, I'd recommend filling out the regular experience section with the nuts-and-bolts -- what you did, what your role was, etc. For the supp, I'd focus the description on why this was one of your most meaningful experiences. What did you get out of it?

Are most programs looking at step 1 numerical scores or are they being blinded? I feel like the next few months are going to be an absolute **** show.

Are most programs looking at step 1 numerical scores or are they being blinded? I feel like the next few months are going to be an absolute **** show.
Seems to me that programs are either not looking at steps at all for initial review, or they are ignoring step 1 and only looking at step 2

From what I have heard from ortho PD's is that they cant filter by step 1 score anymore but will take it into consideration when available. So pretty much have no idea what that means lol

From what I have heard from ortho PD's is that they cant filter by step 1 score anymore but will take it into consideration when available. So pretty much have no idea what that means lol

An actual policy that I heard from a surgical PD is that for applicants w/ step 1 scores, their actual scores will be factored in. For applicants without step 1 scores, their institution's previous average will be assigned to applicants.

Does anyone else's meaningful experiences not fit nicely into the categories they give for "primary focus area" and "key characteristic"? Also would it be okay to not fill all 5 of them?
Yes to both. The supplemental guide also says it's okay to leave these 2 blank if they don't apply.

An actual policy that I heard from a surgical PD is that for applicants w/ step 1 scores, their actual scores will be factored in. For applicants without step 1 scores, their institution's previous average will be assigned to applicants.
So basically a proxy for “prestige?”

What are you guys doing for geographic preference? Originally I was going to choose 3 but then programs could see that I did NOT select "no preference" and instead probably selected 3 others - that could hurt my chances on those regions?

I am an IMG so I need to apply broadly but at the same time, I do have preferences and also regions where I know I have more chances of matching. It would be awesome if I could have 4 preferences so that I could have my preference region + 3 higher chance regions, but I have to pick 3!

I'm signaling region that I'm currently in and that I'd like to match in, and then two other nearby regions that I'd also be happy matching in
Are you writing anything for why those areas? I cant decide if I should leave it blank or put in a few sentences