Co’23 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So as I understand it - one can complete and submit (certify?) the ERAS application but after that continue to add programs and assign the requisite letters, etc. Am I understanding this correctly?

Or does one have to enter all the programs, assign all the artifacts required and then certify as a final step?

Also, I still don't have one of the letters. Can I still assign that letter and when the writer uploads it, the programs will see it? Really hoping that'll be in the next 10 days.

I would really appreciate any insights here. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are correct. When you certify your application, you finalize the entries on it. You will be able to change a few things -- your email address and some other demographic info. But the rest of your app is finalized and can't be changed.

Assigning letters, personal statements, etc is all separate. You can add letters any time you want during the application process (until you've sent 4, that's the max)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any ideas on how our email signatures are suppose to look? like should I include my eras ID lol

Yes letters are separate as NaPD noted.

When I applied I realized a month or so after submitting my app that one of my letter writers wrote a letter of rec for the wrong specialty for me (long story). When we realized it, he wrote the new letter, we uploaded it, and I contacted all the program coordinators to let them know that there was a new replacement letter. I applied Derm so it was around 80 people I had to contact. Fun times.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
So once you assign usmle transcript to a program, is there a processing time once you submit the application? How long does that take if you want the programs to get everything by 9am on 28th? I am an IMG if that makes any difference.

One more question (different topic):

So, earlier in my life (high school and college), I played an instrument and won awards at national and international competitions. How might I write this out on experiences section? Or just put it in hobbies (seems like I am downplaying it if I put it there). Should I even write the awards/competition wins down on the Other Awards/Accomplishments section? They seem to be more intended for academic awards tho..

I do talk about it in my PS

Last edited:
So once you assign usmle transcript to a program, is there a processing time once you submit the application? How long does that take if you want the programs to get everything by 9am on 28th? I am an IMG if that makes any difference.

One more question (different topic):

So, earlier in my life (high school and college), I played an instrument and won awards at national and international competitions. How might I write this out on experiences section? Or just put it in hobbies (seems like I am downplaying it if I put it there). Should I even write the awards/competition wins down on the Other Awards/Accomplishments section? They seem to be more intended for academic awards tho..

If its really that impactful in your life, I'd write it as a new experience and then at the bottom you can list the awards and competitions you won.
If you have space under hobbies, you could include it there too

I would just list it as a hobby, but you can count on getting questions about this if you really won a bunch of competitions. Especially if you wrote about it in your PS.

You can list major awards from college if it was at a national/international level. I probably would not list anything from high school, though it is hard to say without context. Like, if I won the Scripps National Spelling Bee (or whatever the equivalent is in your musical field) that would probably be on my CV for life.

Hi all,

I called someone from the NBME yesterday, who told me that any new scores from USMLE would be automatically sent to ERAS when my application is submitted. Just wanted to confirm that I don't have to do anything else for Step 2CK scores to transmit.

Thanks everyone.

Hi all,

I called someone from the NBME yesterday, who told me that any new scores from USMLE would be automatically sent to ERAS when my application is submitted. Just wanted to confirm that I don't have to do anything else for Step 2CK scores to transmit.

Thanks everyone.

I'd also like to know this. Also, in general, once you pay for the USMLE scores, is there an indication somewhere that the scores have been uploaded to ERAS (I know we can't see the actual scores). I understood it may take 2-5 days?

I'd also like to know this. Also, in general, once you pay for the USMLE scores, is there an indication somewhere that the scores have been uploaded to ERAS (I know we can't see the actual scores). I understood it may take 2-5 days?
I did mine last night and it took about 3 minutes. It will say ‘success’ on your dashboard.

I did mine last night and it took about 3 minutes. It will say ‘success’ on your dashboard.

Thank you. I see that status of "Successful" now. For everything except scores they use the status "Uploaded". 🤷‍♂️

There will be separate numbers for the categorical and advanced paths. Only rank the categorical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you. But on the ERAS application I there's no way to just apply to one somehow and not the other, correct?

They should have separate program codes, as in the picture below.

Screenshot_809.png

If a program does not specifically say they require a Department Chair letter would it be better to use a letter from an attending who has actually worked with you or just go with the chair letter?

If a program does not specifically say they require a Department Chair letter would it be better to use a letter from an attending who has actually worked with you or just go with the chair letter?

That depends on whether you feel the DC would give you a strong LoR. I'd say unless the program specifies a letter from the DC, it's uaully better to get a LoR from someone who knows you for your clinical experiences.

What are thoughts on putting memberships in organizations like AAFP, ACOG, etc. under honorary/professional societies if you just joined but didn't really do anything with the organization? Also should you put all your memberships if you have them even if they're not germane to the specialty you're applying?
Most students list these.

Personally, I find them a complete waste of electrons and my time. if all you did was sign up for these things (and perhaps give them dues money), what does that prove?

I encourage you NOT to include them.

That depends on whether you feel the DC would give you a strong LoR. I'd say unless the program specifies a letter from the DC, it's uaully better to get a LoR from someone who knows you for your clinical experiences.
Thank you

For programs that say they want 3 letters but don't specify 3 as the maximum, is it okay to send 4? I know this has been discussed exhaustively but haven't found a good consensus. Also, one of my 4 would be a research letter from my MPH year, which feels more important to my application than just an extra clinical letter

Was that in response to my question?

No, it was in response to a post that someone has since deleted, for unclear reasons.

I have difficulty advising anyone on the 3 vs 4 letter issue. Personally I could care less whether people submit 3 or 4 letters. I guess some programs might use submitting 4 when they asked for 3 as a negative selective filter. But really? Is this a thing or just SDN lore? I have no idea.

No, it was in response to a post that someone has since deleted, for unclear reasons.

I have difficulty advising anyone on the 3 vs 4 letter issue. Personally I could care less whether people submit 3 or 4 letters. I guess some programs might use submitting 4 when they asked for 3 as a negative selective filter. But really? Is this a thing or just SDN lore? I have no idea.

Ah okay. I'll probably err on the side of 4 at least for research-heavy programs then. Thank you!

So at the worst possible timing, I just got a paper rejected. My mentor wants to make all these changes before resubmission. Can I still list the pub on ERAS as submitted? I'm planning on submitting ERAS tomorrow. Thanks.

So at the worst possible timing, I just got a paper rejected. My mentor wants to make all these changes before resubmission. Can I still list the pub on ERAS as submitted? I'm planning on submitting ERAS tomorrow. Thanks.
This would be inappropriate (and flatly inaccurate).

It sucks, but in the grand scheme of things this is not going to make or break your application. As someone who has been peddling a paper for 18 months across 5 different journals, a "submitted" manuscript is not a pub and is not viewed as a pub. Furthermore, if you're in a field that cares about pubs, the die is more or less already cast. If you're already strong on pubs, then it's obviously still a strength. If you're weak on pubs, this wasn't going to save you. If you were middle of the road, you're still middle of the road.

Whatever you do... don't lie. While it may seem unlikely that you would get caught, 1) you might well get caught at your home program; 2) the consequences of getting caught in a lie are much worse than any upside from listing this as "submitted."

Also, a timely PSA--please don't wait to submit on 9/28. ERAS is going to crash, and everyone knows that ERAS is going to crash. Please save yourself lots of angst and submit in the next 24-36 hours, if at all feasible :)

Reactions: 2 users
How do I list the a published abstract at a conference?
One researchgate, it says "conference paper" and got a volume number:
International Stroke Conference. Volume: 42
I was gonna put it down oral presentation, but then maybe that was downplaying it? But it also feel like overplaying it if I put it under pub/abstract.. hmm

How do I list the a published abstract at a conference?
One researchgate, it says "conference paper" and got a volume number:
International Stroke Conference. Volume: 42
I was gonna put it down oral presentation, but then maybe that was downplaying it? But it also feel like overplaying it if I put it under pub/abstract.. hmm
Did you actually deliver an oral presentation? If so that is the correct listing. If no presentation, then pub/abstract is correct and It’s generally obvious that it’s a conference abstract because the volume is a supplement.

Just want to confirm, if you update a personal statement after it has been assigned to a program (but before actually applying), does the personal statement need to be re-assigned? Or is the personal statement that's linked to the program updated automatically?

Did you actually deliver an oral presentation? If so that is the correct listing. If no presentation, then pub/abstract is correct and It’s generally obvious that it’s a conference abstract because the volume is a supplement.
Thanks. Well, that seems a little strange that having not presented orally would "elevate" it to a pub/abstract rather than oral presentation. It sounds like it applies to both so I should only list it once as a pub/abstract?

Thanks. Well, that seems a little strange that having not presented orally would "elevate" it to a pub/abstract rather than oral presentation. It sounds like it applies to both so I should only list it once as a pub/abstract?
It is not an “elevation,” it’s a quirk of how things are categorized in ERAS.

Assuming that someone else presented either orally or a poster, I would indicate at the end of the citation “presented as podium presentation/poster by Dr so and so”

Just want to confirm, if you update a personal statement after it has been assigned to a program (but before actually applying), does the personal statement need to be re-assigned? Or is the personal statement that's linked to the program updated automatically?
Before applying, if you update the same PS as previously used, it simply has the latest version. No need to reassign.

For those couples matching, are you saying it in your application at all or only planning on telling program after getting an interview? Like I'm debating whether we should check the box in the personal information section indicating we are couples matching or not, especially since I'm applying a competitive specialty and don't want programs to look down on it.

Anyone know this? Like is it expected that we check this box allowing it? How do dean's offices usually use this info?
It has been a good long while since I applied, but I suspect that is so that they can more effectively help you if you wind up SOAPing.

Perhaps more to the point, what could you be worried about them learning about your app that they don't already know? Presumably they already know everything about your application since you have been coordinating closely with them throughout your application prep... right?

For those couples matching, are you saying it in your application at all or only planning on telling program after getting an interview? Like I'm debating whether we should check the box in the personal information section indicating we are couples matching or not, especially since I'm applying a competitive specialty and don't want programs to look down on it.
There isn't a "right" answer to this, you need to pick what you think is best.

You have three options:

1. You can indicate that you are couple's matching in your ERAS app. If you do that, all programs will know when evaluating your application.
2. You can not indicate it in ERAS, and tell programs when you interview.
3. You can not tell programs at all. You can still couples match in NRMP.

How might this information be used by programs?

A. Programs in big cities with many institutions probably don't care. NYC is a good example. If you match in NYC, it's very likely your partner will find something there also. It's possible that some programs will try to get a couple into the same program.

B. Programs that are geographically isolated from others may use this information to help make decisions. Imagine the University of Rochester -- I picked it randomly because I picked NYC in the first example. There's only one program there, and it's not commutable to other programs. Hence, they might look at a couple as a unit and make a decision on both together, figuring that if they interview just one of you, you'll probably rank them very low on your list (appropriately).

Note that this can hurt or help you. Imagine a couple where one is very strong, and the other is borderline -- in that case a program might decide to interview both. But if one doesn't meet their minimum criteria, they will probably decline to invite both.

There isn't a "right" answer to this, you need to pick what you think is best.

You have three options:

1. You can indicate that you are couple's matching in your ERAS app. If you do that, all programs will know when evaluating your application.
2. You can not indicate it in ERAS, and tell programs when you interview.
3. You can not tell programs at all. You can still couples match in NRMP.

How might this information be used by programs?

A. Programs in big cities with many institutions probably don't care. NYC is a good example. If you match in NYC, it's very likely your partner will find something there also. It's possible that some programs will try to get a couple into the same program.

B. Programs that are geographically isolated from others may use this information to help make decisions. Imagine the University of Rochester -- I picked it randomly because I picked NYC in the first example. There's only one program there, and it's not commutable to other programs. Hence, they might look at a couple as a unit and make a decision on both together, figuring that if they interview just one of you, you'll probably rank them very low on your list (appropriately).

Note that this can hurt or help you. Imagine a couple where one is very strong, and the other is borderline -- in that case a program might decide to interview both. But if one doesn't meet their minimum criteria, they will probably decline to invite both.
I get that this is not the point, but there is now a residency program at Rochester general in addition to UofR. The times are a changin

I was afraid I might be wrong about that... Sorry!
your point stands! and I appreciate your input on this thread, certainly no need to apologize. I think the Rochester General program is in its infancy.

If someone asks for my ERAS ID do they mean the applicant ID that’s at the top right of the application, just above the AAMC ID?

Can anyone verify what the difference is from a program director's perspective for people who apply to a program on 09/28 at 8:30 a.m vs. apply to a program on 09/28 at 9:30 a.m.?

Also, if I edit a personal statement after applying, does the time stamp on the application change?

What's a good turn-around time when getting supplemental questions from programs asking for more info after they received your ERAS?

Same day, next day, within 3 days?

Also, are these supplement questions sent out automatically (i.e. no initial screening done) or is it a good sign the programs have had a cursory view of your app (i.e. passed initial screening) and just want more info before full-fledge review?

Last edited:
Can anyone verify what the difference is from a program director's perspective for people who apply to a program on 09/28 at 8:30 a.m vs. apply to a program on 09/28 at 9:30 a.m.?

Also, if I edit a personal statement after applying, does the time stamp on the application change?
At 9:30 am PDs may have already downloaded applications, whether they download more later is unknown

@AnesvsPsych Thanks for the reply, my question is do Program directors see a difference in the time stamp on the application for those that are submitted at 8:30 AM vs. 9:30 AM?

@AnesvsPsych Thanks for the reply, my question is do Program directors see a difference in the time stamp on the application for those that are submitted at 8:30 AM vs. 9:30 AM?

Yes, it is time stamped when you submitted it but programs don't actually care what time you submitted and I have heard most of them don't even look at the timestamp. The only thing that matters is whether or not they have your application when they choose to download the first batch, which may be as early as 9 am today. So in other words, if all the programs you applied to decided to download apps at noon today, then you would be fine as you submitted before then.

Ahh, I feel the panic starting to flow....

There is no difference. But you really should submit before 9/28 only because there tend to be tech glitches in the system with downtime. This year has been remarkably smooth, however.

No, changing your PS does not affect anything other than replacing your PS.
What's a good turn-around time when getting supplemental questions from programs asking for more info after they received your ERAS?

Also, are these supplement questions sent out automatically (i.e. no initial screening done) or is it a good sign the programs have had a cursory view of your app (i.e. passed initial screening) and just want more info before full-fledge review?
This will be program specific. I expect they would give you a timeframe?
At 9:30 am PDs may have already downloaded applications, whether they download more later is unknown
There is no "downloading", that's a thing of the distant past. Programs can print out applications -- but boy that seems like a terrible way to process them. In any case, printing is suppressed until later in the week.
Yes, it is time stamped when you submitted it but programs don't actually care what time you submitted and I have heard most of them don't even look at the timestamp. The only thing that matters is whether or not they have your application when they choose to download the first batch, which may be as early as 9 am today. So in other words, if all the programs you applied to decided to download apps at noon today, then you would be fine as you submitted before then.
No, it's not. There's only a date. No time. And there's no downloading -- there hasn't been that for many years, perhaps a decade.

This will be program specific. I expect they would give you a timeframe?

Likely program specific, but thus far the supplementals that I have received have no timeframe per se. One did say to complete at your earliest convenience. Therefore, with so many to fill out, I am assuming it's reasonable to return the questions within a day?

There is no "downloading", that's a thing of the distant past. Programs can print out applications -- but boy that seems like a terrible way to process them. In any case, printing is suppressed until later in the week.
No, it's not. There's only a date. No time. And there's no downloading -- there hasn't been that for many years, perhaps a decade.

I redact my statement. I must have been told wrong. This person knows more than I.

anyone on here applying to obgyn that want to be buddies about applications lol

I turned mine in within 24 hours. In my eyes I figured the faster they were in the faster I'm considered "complete" and eligible for review for an interview offer. One of my supplements had a due date of 10/5.

I got one supplement the same day programs could view applications so I'm assuming they didn't screen at all.