Co’23 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sent my LOI. :arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question for anyone left perusing this thread:

Should I be recording and writing about current and old volunteer/work/research experiences now (about to start 3rd year) or does it not really matter? Research year is winding down.

For the supp, I'd recommend filling out the regular experience section with the nuts-and-bolts -- what you did, what your role was, etc. For the supp, I'd focus the description on why this was one of your most meaningful experiences. What did you get out of it?
Also @NotAProgDirector did you mean for the primary application, just write down the nuts and bolts? Bullet points or sentences?

Congrats to all the future ophthalmologists and good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious. If you rank 10 programs and matched to #9, does the program know that you ranked it #9?

We have no idea if our program was at the bottom of your rank list.

You have no idea whether you were the last person on our rank list to match.

Reactions: 3 users
Do programs know the names of the applicants that matched their programs on March 13 assuming no SOAP spots available. Or do they also have to wait til March 17?

Do programs know the names of the applicants that matched their programs on March 13 assuming no SOAP spots available. Or do they also have to wait til March 17?
i believe that schools and programs find out match results on the monday, but not 100% on that

We usually get our confidential lists after SOAP finishes but before Match day release. Usually on Thursday afternoon.

We know whether we fill or not at the same time you find out if you matched or not.

Reactions: 7 users
March 1 has come and gone. How are you all feeling about your rank lists? How deep can you go on the list and still feel genuinely pleased by your match?

6. I hope I don’t regret saying this when I match 7 lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll be elated with top choice, very happy with my top4

Reactions: 2 users
top10 would be great. Within top 20 would be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
So on Monday what does the email from the NRMP say? Like “you matched” vs “you did not match”

You'll get the same info in an email that usually comes 5 minutes before the official release time.

You'll get the same info in an email that usually comes 5 minutes before the official release time.
do you know WHEN do we REALLY get the email? at 10 am? or BY 10 am?

The email usually arrives a few minutes before the announced time. Otherwise 1000's of people would be calling / emailing the NRMP at 10:00:01 if they didn't have an email. They start to arrive usually about 5 minutes early. IF YOURS COMES LATER THAN THAT, IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING.

Reactions: 4 users
The email usually arrives a few minutes before the announced time. Otherwise 1000's of people would be calling / emailing the NRMP at 10:00:01 if they didn't have an email. They start to arrive usually about 5 minutes early. IF YOURS COMES LATER THAN THAT, IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING.
Sorry for the neurotic question lol but do you know if the subject line of the email is different for matched vs. unmatched applicants or do we have to open the email itself to find out the match result?

Well, at least you recognize this as completely neurotic. Does it really matter if you need to open the email?

In any case, yes you need to open the email. The subject line will be "Did I Match?".

See example from reddit:
1678418077124.png

Well, at least you recognize this as completely neurotic. Does it really matter if you need to open the email?

In any case, yes you need to open the email. The subject line will be "Did I Match?".

See example from reddit:
View attachment 367432
Haha yeah I'm fully aware how neurotic that was lol. Thank you for indulging me though honestly.

It's just that I want to open it with close family and would rather not be blindsided by the subject line. Thanks again.

Haha yeah I'm fully aware how neurotic that was lol. Thank you for indulging me though honestly.

It's just that I want to open it with close family and would rather not be blindsided by the subject line. Thanks again.
I have mixed emotions about how public matching is. Of course, if you match and get your first choice, it would be great to celebrate with your friends, family, and classmates. However, if you are disappointed in the results, it has to be difficult to either pretend to be okay (even though you're not), or to admit that you're disappointed in front of a crowd. Wishing everyone luck on match day!

Match wise, this year will pretty much be the same as last year. However, the 2024 match will be a **** show because there are a fair number of new schools graduating their fist class. GL to all next Monday and Friday.

Match wise, this year will pretty much be the same as last year. However, the 2024 match will be a **** show because there are a fair number of new schools graduating their fist class. GL to all next Monday and Friday.
which schools are graduating their first class in 2024? Does it affect the match that much? Previously it was said that there are still more seats than applicants overall.

No, it doesn't. Looking at last year's match numbers, take the total number of PGY-1 positions, subtract the prelim spots, and add the PGY-2 spots. that gives you the number of spots that lead to full training - and it comes to 34,400 (rounding).

Applicants last year = 20500 MD + 2000 prior MD + 7500 DO + 860 prior DO = 30,860.

You'd need some very big new schools to close that gap. Will competition of IMG's for spots increase? Probably over time. But US grads aren't getting squeezed out of the match any time soon.

(this is all spots. If there's only one specialty you'd consider, the math may be different)

No, it doesn't. Looking at last year's match numbers, take the total number of PGY-1 positions, subtract the prelim spots, and add the PGY-2 spots. that gives you the number of spots that lead to full training - and it comes to 34,400 (rounding).

Applicants last year = 20500 MD + 2000 prior MD + 7500 DO + 860 prior DO = 30,860.

You'd need some very big new schools to close that gap. Will competition of IMG's for spots increase? Probably over time. But US grads aren't getting squeezed out of the match any time soon.

(this is all spots. If there's only one specialty you'd consider, the math may be different)
Are priors considered unmatched applicants or people switching specialties? Or I guess both?

which schools are graduating their first class in 2024? Does it affect the match that much? Previously it was said that there are still more seats than applicants overall.
8 schools lecom elmira, sam houston state com, california health sciences com, vcom louisiana, oklahoma state cherokee, lmu knoxville, university of houston frittita and kaiser pasadena all opened in 2020 grads in 2024.

540 new grads from new do schools and expanding and on MD side matriculants increased 400

so like 940 new grads in 2024 probably a 4% increase in total grads in one year

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone for Monday and Friday! Whatever happens you should be proud that you have gotten this far in the game. Pat yourself on the back and keep moving forward.

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats to all who matched and enormous hugs to anyone going through soap right now. Either way, excited to be your future colleague when you join us soon!

Reactions: 8 users
I MATCHED!!!!!! i am going to be a pathologist!!! oh my god i am crying @Goro
Congratulations! I matched into pediatrics today. I remember when we were both applying 4 years ago and I have appreciated your helpful posts over the years. The field of pathology is very lucky to have you. 😊

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Congratulations! I matched into pediatrics today. I remember when we were both applying 4 years ago and I have appreciated your helpful posts over the years. The field of pathology is very lucky to have you. 😊
-tight hug - thank you so much. Pediatrics is lucky to have you too!!!! I am so excited for both of us. we HAVE A JOB NOW

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I matched!!!

… but I dual applied so I have to wait till Friday to see if I’m going to be an orthopedic surgeon or a radiologist lmao

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
joining a bit late. but also matched Monday into obgyn!! so excited we are going to be doctors yall

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Matched either IM or FM guess we'll find out Friday!!

All the ERAS panic threads from prior cycles had thousands of posts. This year’s has fewer than 200 so far. What gives?

All the ERAS panic threads from prior cycles had thousands of posts. This year’s has fewer than 200 so far. What gives?
i think the overall stress and depression of COVID kind of made us more "i dont give a d***" people hahahha

i think the overall stress and depression of COVID kind of made us more "i dont give a d***" people hahahha
I'm proud to have been one of those people since well before COVID.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
This site is nowhere near the popularity it once was in its heyday.

Reactions: 6 users
This site is nowhere near the popularity it once was in its heyday.
Yeah even one or two years ago. I feel with COVID and virtual interviews on its third year a lot of question marks have been answered to some degree so less neuroticism