MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when we should be expecting to sign our contracts? House shopping awaits!

I hear you! But do be sure to check out the "Should I buy a house during residency?" threads. Lots of good advice --

Consider carefully the length of your residency program, bearing in mind that if it's under 5 years, you're unlikely to come out ahead. Also maintenance. You won't have much time, so if home repairs are not something you enjoy and are good at, it's something you may prefer to have a landlord do. If it's back yards you want, there are plenty of houses you can rent.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just popping in for continuity to say I matched at my #2. Couldn’t be more grateful to land a GS categorical spot with my stats and *ahem* years of wisdom...

You guys have been so supportive to this old dog. I will look back on this thread any time I need a reminder of how lucky I am to be here and how many friends I’ve had along the way.
Congratulations!!! So happy for you!!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My PD emailed instead of calling. Probably best for everyone
Mine too! Matched #8 though the first 3 were dream programs that rarely ever take IMGs. I'm actually happy I matched to a top 5 academic program!

• Love
Started surgery residency at 40. Not that anyone thinks I’m their age, since it’s no secret I have young kids and a career before med school, but it’s always fun telling them my *actual* age and seeing the shocked faces.

Ha yeah. I’m told by patients at least once a day that they think I’m 25. The mask helps haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, I got so hammered last night. Holy cow, never again..........

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Got into my #1 dream program. Residents and faculty sent emails and texts about "don't you dare study for intern year. Drink and enjoy life until July 1st." I'm liking it already.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users
Anyone know when we should be expecting to sign our contracts? House shopping awaits!

Dude, my buddy got approved 2 weeks before match day for a physician house loan on a very expensive house. He told them his situation and their household income (wife makes 6-figures) and they took his word for it. Just saying he did pretty well for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, my buddy got approved 2 weeks before match day for a physician house loan on a very expensive house. He told them his situation and their household income (wife makes 6-figures) and they took his word for it. Just saying he did pretty well for that.

Probably was more about the wife making 6 figures... to avoid the contract first/job offer.

Started surgery residency at 40. Not that anyone thinks I’m their age, since it’s no secret I have young kids and a career before med school, but it’s always fun telling them my *actual* age and seeing the shocked faces.
I'll be 47 this fall. It's just a number.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The housing market is absolutely destroying my wife and I. Literally things are sold before they hit the market and are going for 30k over asking. I can’t rent again I just can’t haha

Reactions: 5 users
The housing market is absolutely destroying my wife and I. Literally things are sold before they hit the market and are going for 30k over asking. I can’t rent again I just can’t haha
I'm renting. I'm starting a three year residency at a program that doesn't have the fellowship I want. So for me it's three years to give me flexibility during residency. part of me really wishes I could buy bc I want my own place with more space and a yard and a garage but I think we're targeting renting condos and single unit apartments that aren't part of a big one massive building apartment complex.

The housing market now is just freaky. I was keeping track of houses to potentially buy and the same thing was happening to me. Sold immediately and way over the asking price. No thanks for me

Def not buying a house this year. My moms house sold in an hour and it’s basically the middle of nowhere. I don’t understand what’s going on. Aren’t we in a recession?

Reactions: 5 users
Find an out going resident who is willing to sell it to you without putting it on the market

Current M3 with a question for y'all. I know you're all celebrating but I would appreciate any advice.

As a DO, 250-255 Step 1, top 1/3rd pre-clinical, likely top of class for clinical (rank hasn't been released yet but I've honored all but 1 rotation thus far with 1 left): how many IM programs do I need to apply to? I am not aiming for top programs-- I want to return home, South Florida or at least somewhere in Florida-- which is mostly community programs or community/university-affiliated. There are just under 40 programs in the state, and I will likely apply to all of them, even the ones that seem a little sketch. I will also apply to ~2 programs from my med school state, so currently have just about 40 programs on my list. Is this enough? I don't want to contribute to the problem of people applying to programs they don't really want to go to, but I also don't want to go unmatched and with talks of things likely being virtual again next year....I'm just at a loss of what to do. What is a good number to target?

Def not buying a house this year. My moms house sold in an hour and it’s basically the middle of nowhere. I don’t understand what’s going on. Aren’t we in a recession?
Building material prices are way up and supply chain for materials is impaired in many cases. Hence, the sales are of pre-existing homes.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Current M3 with a question for y'all. I know you're all celebrating but I would appreciate any advice.

As a DO, 250-255 Step 1, top 1/3rd pre-clinical, likely top of class for clinical (rank hasn't been released yet but I've honored all but 1 rotation thus far with 1 left): how many IM programs do I need to apply to? I am not aiming for top programs-- I want to return home, South Florida or at least somewhere in Florida-- which is mostly community programs or community/university-affiliated. There are just under 40 programs in the state, and I will likely apply to all of them, even the ones that seem a little sketch. I will also apply to ~2 programs from my med school state, so currently have just about 40 programs on my list. Is this enough? I don't want to contribute to the problem of people applying to programs they don't really want to go to, but I also don't want to go unmatched and with talks of things likely being virtual again next year....I'm just at a loss of what to do. What is a good number to target?

With an app like that I would just apply to the ones in Florida.

I made the mistake of applying and interviewing at way more programs than I needed out of sheer neuroticism. Don’t put yourself through that.

Reactions: 4 users

Interest rates are currently at an all time low. Many big cities have tons of inventory (lots of people moving away into the suburbs because remote work/learning), meanwhile the listing prices are lower than the prior 3 year averages. So many people are holding on to property making inventory low in the desirable areas (outside cities), thus buyer’s wars going over asking.

Within the larger cities you’re not seeing much of that for the condo/townhouse market. But the single family home market is doing well. Tons of renters want to buy now because of aforementioned interest rates.

• Sad
My husband wanted to have a yard finally. I was okay buying a house possibly if I matched in Florida. But I didn’t. Ive been looking and the rental housing market in my new city is meh, and the home buying market was way more expensive than I would have thought for that area.

Now I feel like I would rather just rent an apartment again. But I don’t think he’ll be happy with that.

I was gungho about home buying if I match into my program, but I can't afford it on a single income(for now) after actually crunching numbers.

On paper you should be more than good to match back home in FL. 40 would be enough. Bu I mean, people fall through the cracks every year and while statistically you shouldn't the neuroticism is real. I think in hindsight I applied to too many programs but monday morning quarterbacking only does so much.

I’ve been shooting emails to the major apartment complexes in the area— in hopes that I can get a tour soon. I think this year might actually be more feasible to legit look at places in person as opposed to last year’s interns. Since most states are kinda opening up.

My husband wanted to have a yard finally. I was okay buying a house possibly if I matched in Florida. But I didn’t. Ive been looking and the rental housing market in my new city is meh, and the home buying market was way more expensive than I would have thought for that area.

Now I feel like I would rather just rent an apartment again. But I don’t think he’ll be happy with that.
This is an issue I’m foreseeing for myself next year. If I don’t match at a place where we can afford to have a yard, my fiancée (then wife) will not be happy about it.

I’m not sure on the ins/outs of applying IM, but I would say definitely talk to M4’s that just matched at KCU to see what their experience was.

Also keep in mind, you’ll never regret over-applying, but you could definitely regret under-applying, so yield on the side of caution.

You’ve got a killer app for IM though & should have your pick of programs.

do most residency programs offer 401k or 403b? I prob should have taken note of this during interviews, but now I'm curious... xD

do most residency programs offer 401k or 403b? I prob should have taken note of this during interviews, but now I'm curious... xD
I wouldn't say most, but I've seen a mix of those that do and don't on the IM side, some with even small percentage of matching.

I dropped to #5 on my list which was really quite shocking when I opened it.

This is the one I kept saying I wanted to switch to 4! And would be mad if I matched to 4 and never had a shot at this one. 2 and 3 were OOS university programs that I wasn’t emotionally invested in but had excellent training in a good city.

my program is an excellent design and was the best fit for me, but it was ranked where it was because it’s OOS and low salary. Neither were deal breakers for me of course, but were negative points.

The day before Match Day people were asking where I felt in my gut I would get. And I said 1 or 5. Yet I was still so shocked when I actually got 5 because I had really envisioned a life around my 1 which is IS, close to all of my family, great program design, and has a very high salary.

so I have a lot to process. The first hour was very hard. Oh and as a bonus I’m currently rotating at my #1 and have 1 week left. And now I hate them.

Obviously haven’t gone through it with residency yet... but I went through this during my app cycle. I was literally volunteering at my #1 MD program as a patient transporter.

At least they interviewed me, but I quit volunteering with them really effing fast when I got that post-interview R. That feeling really sucks.

With a family and a dog it’s hard to find anything to rent in a city atmosphere. Even in a small one in the Midwest

We are definitely planning on buying. I have two kids and want a real house. I matched in a relatively low CoL area, which makes it more feasible.

They really shouldn't let 4th years rotate after match day.

Incredibly awkward for everybody.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Btw for future classes watching, to give you hope about a program that doesn’t invite you at first (because I really do love my program and said all year if I could design a program it would be them)....

the program I matched to:

-sent me a “well maybe next round” message the first week of November (while sending out some invites and some rejections according to the spreadsheet)
-sent me an invite late December
-I interviewed early January
-I matched there

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Btw for future classes watching, to give you hope about a program that doesn’t invite you at first (because I really do love my program and said all year if I could design a program it would be them)....

the program I matched to:

-sent me a “well maybe next round” message the first week of November (while sending out some invites and some rejections according to the spreadsheet)
-sent me an invite late December
-I interviewed early January
-I matched there

Which just goes to show:
  1. Keep an open mind
  2. Hold no grudges
  3. Don't believe anything you hear
  4. Once you match, go "all in" and learn to "love the one you're with"
  5. Edited to add: Make no assumptions

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
(srsly not trying to humble brag or be annoying- for future applicants reading this)

I never got a response after sending my LOI to my #1 (or any post-interview communication), and I ended up matching there. I think the no response thing can be scary, but you can still match there so don't read too much into it. On the flip side I know friends who got ranked to match emails and didn't match at those programs :(

Reactions: 13 users
(srsly not trying to humble brag or be annoying- for future applicants reading this)

I never got a response after sending my LOI to my #1 (or any post-interview communication), and I ended up matching there. I think the no response thing can be scary, but you can still match there so don't read too much into it. On the flip side I know friends who got ranked to match emails and didn't match at those programs :(

Also did not get a response to my #1 after sending an LOI and matched there. PD told me when he called Friday after the match that I was “very high if not at the top of their list.” Don’t think it made a difference but who knows

Reactions: 7 users

Also did not get a response to my #1 after sending an LOI and matched there. PD told me when he called Friday after the match that I was “very high if not at the top of their list.” Don’t think it made a difference but who knows
Same. Not only did I not get a response to my LOI, I also didn’t even get the interview invite until the last half of January. Matched there.

To add to the list of advice

I was convinced i absolutely bombed my interview at the program I ended up matching at. Legit to the point of an anxiety attack after my interview. Also heard the program I matched at did PIC and I didn’t get it.

dont let these things shake you homies, just do your best and let the algorithm do its work

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not the PD of our program, but I will let you know that any communication I get from an applicant after an interview gets promptly disregarded and put in the shredder. I guess if people want to send them to be polite or whatever, by all means, but don't think 1) that it somehow helps your chances come rank list time or 2) that no reply means that everyone hates you. If you are a good applicant and you interview well, the present or absence of a letter you sent will not impact that in any regard. The converse can be true if you're a bad applicant as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I appreciated the programs that said on interview day that they do not send out or respond to any post-interview day communication and that it has no response on their match list.

It removed any pressure of trying to determine what, if anything, a response or no response to a LoI meant. And even better, eliminates vaguely worded emails that could be ROI or could be nothing.

I wish this were the policy across the board.

Reactions: 10 users
I thought I kind of effed up my interview at my number 1 - but I was probably just overly critical of myself, as we all are. I didn't send any thank you emails because they said they don't expect them. I sent an LOI at the end of the season and got a very positive (more or less RTM) and ended up matching there. But even then, I was prepared not to match - I didn't want to lead myself on and was okay with falling below #1. There was nothing in that interview I did that would have blown them away - just had a few conversations and cracked a few jokes. So again, we are bad judges of our interviews and not all PDs are trying to screw over people!

But I did get post-interview communication from other PDs that stated wishy washy stuff like "great fit" or "you're in the highest group" etc. which leads candidates on and doesn't really mean anything. For future applicants: no one should ever change their list based on communication or a lack there of. It makes no sense to do this.

Last edited:

Same

They really shouldn't let 4th years rotate after match day.

Incredibly awkward for everybody.
Set up online rotations and vacation. Should be the way it is every year. Allows us time to get situated in our new places and cities

I did not send any thank you email after interviews and I managed to match my #1. I figured if I thanked them in person during the email then why waste both out time sending an email saying the same thing?

I emailed questions to residents and faculty after interviews as needed but not generic thank you letter. I did send a LOI to my #1 spot and I received an email response from the PD saying that they would be happy to have me match as a resident.

Last edited:

Sounds like you have a solid application and with those clinical grades LORs should be top-notch. I'd imagine you stand an excellent chance to match IM in Florida. You might want to check out the programs' websites to see what they list as their minimum Step scores....but I guarantee you've exceeded what they're looking for...looking at the minimum scores will let you know by how much you exceed the minimums and how strong you're likely to be. If you have any idea what fellowship you want to do, prioritize applying to places that have those fellowships. You might also want to apply to GA and AL since they're close to Florida.
Best of luck.

Set up online rotations and vacation. Should be the way it is every year. Allows us time to get situated in our new places and cities
Yeah. I gotta find a way to ask for a Friday and Monday off so I can fly out to look at homes. 1 golden retriever and 4 cats......not many places would let us rent. A house is the way to go for us.

Our school technically doesn't allow us to do online/virtual rotations :(

Our school technically doesn't allow us to do online/virtual rotations :(
It was only available to me because COVID and I frontloaded my required in person months but it should definitely be an option for everyone. If someone wants to do an ICU warmup like a psycho let them, but for the rest of us let us get our lives situated in a longer time than 1.5 months haha