MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As an M3 I’d love these kind of lectures. Half of ours are student run and just end up being people reading first aid or pathoma to us
Or sometimes I offer...”What would you like to learn? If I know it, I’ll teach it to you. If I don’t, then you’ll teach it to me.” :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 8.17.52 PM.png

Logged into medhub and this just about sums up my life right now. Anyone else?

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wait, I want to know this story.
I was assuming that OP is a fourth year and hasn't had any "real" clinical rotations since September. This may or may not be the case for myself as well... 👀

Reactions: 2 users
I was assuming that OP is a fourth year and hasn't had any "real" clinical rotations since September. This may or may not be the case for myself as well... 👀
How is this even possible?

How is this even possible?

For real. No wonder people think the 4th year is a waste of tuition. We’re only allowed to have 2 non clinical rotations 4th year. I guess you could just do some path and rads rotations if you really don’t want to do anything clinical, but that just seems like a waste of an opportunity to do stuff you’ll never get to do again.

I'm going into IM and did all the important medicine electives and got LORs over the summer (MICU, CCU, ID, GI, sub-I, etc), scheduled only radiology and pathology electives thereafter, finished up all my credit requirements by early February and been chilling from then till graduation lol. I didn't use any vacation/flexible time for step 2 (partly thanks to COVID furlough, I had chill online electives where I was concurrently studying ) and for interviews (ty virtual), so I put it all to the end because I originally planned on spending months backpacking abroad (but I've just been relaxing in U.S and doing local trips).

Yeahhhh I definitely thought about scheduling specialty surgery electives i'd never get to scrub in on again, but I just couldnt bring myself to want to wake up early again and spend all day in the hospital, plus I got a lot of fulfillment from pursuing hobbies, movies, shows, etc. before I don't have this kind of time again.
Ok biased burnt out intern here, cheers to that choice. Take the time you can now and enjoy!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm going into IM and did all the important medicine electives and got LORs over the summer (MICU, CCU, ID, GI, sub-I, etc), scheduled only radiology and pathology electives thereafter, finished up all my credit requirements by early February and been chilling from then till graduation lol. I didn't use any vacation/flexible time for step 2 (partly thanks to COVID furlough, I had chill online electives where I was concurrently studying ) and for interviews (ty virtual), so I put it all to the end because I originally planned on spending months backpacking abroad (but I've just been relaxing in U.S and doing local trips).

Yeahhhh I definitely thought about scheduling specialty surgery electives i'd never get to scrub in on again, but I just couldnt bring myself to want to wake up early again and spend all day in the hospital, plus I got a lot of fulfillment from pursuing hobbies, movies, shows, etc. before I don't have this kind of time again.

Haha I mean I totally get it. But when the option is there to set up a year where you can do and learn a lot, it doesn’t really make sense to say 4th year is a waste just because some people choose not to take advantage of that. Not that I blame anyone for just taking it easy.

Reactions: 1 users
This is me. Plus career planning talk, upcoming annual review,and the program asking for an updated CV lol
Yes basically everything else I have in my plate I am just limping through. We got this...kinda.

Guys, im out listening to live music. It feels so liberating to do normal things.

also, im less than three weeks away from being done as an intern. Whatttt?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Guys, im out listening to live music. It feels so liberating to do normal things.

I’m so glad you’re doing well!
we’re surviving we’re making it and we all had intern year by fire I think.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and im scared ****less because I’m the upper for the psych floor next month. 4 new interns.
the attending will be brand new.
and it’s a new EMR.

my eye is twitching a little bit

Oh and im scared ****less because I’m the upper for the psych floor next month. 4 new interns.
the attending will be brand new.
and it’s a new EMR.

my eye is twitching a little bit
Yeah this whole having to be in charge of interns thing….. eek

Thanks to president Biden. Lol

Y’all finishing the year in the ICU! I’m excited to meet the new interns. Also slightly jealous they get to have events and socialize when we didn’t.

• Love
Y’all finishing the year in the ICU! I’m excited to meet the new interns. Also slightly jealous they get to have events and socialize when we didn’t.
Im also in the ICU this month!

Im also in the ICU this month!
Me too, and I’ll be alone for the remainder of my calls since the prelims leave this week. And I start PGY2 here too. Nothing like SICU in a crazy inner city level 1 trauma center during summer…send help!

• Care
  • Wow
Me too, and I’ll be alone for the remainder of my calls since the prelims leave this week. And I start PGY2 here too. Nothing like SICU in a crazy inner city level 1 trauma center during summer…send help!
Lol sounds like a great learning opportunity.

I'm starting PGY-2 on night float. On the one hand, boooooo. On the other hand because July 1 is Thursday I only do like 1.33 weeks instead of 2 weeks of nights.

Im on outpatient until November. I cannot complain (other than the no scrubs thing)

• Love
I'm starting PGY-2 on night float. On the one hand, boooooo. On the other hand because July 1 is Thursday I only do like 1.33 weeks instead of 2 weeks of nights.
Perhaps. Or perhaps it's 2.33 weeks.

I'm surprised you don't actually have your schedule yet!

Perhaps. Or perhaps it's 2.33 weeks.

I'm surprised you don't actually have your schedule yet!
Can confirm it's only 1.33 weeks. I go to neuro next week which at my institution is considered quite chill.

For real. No wonder people think the 4th year is a waste of tuition. We’re only allowed to have 2 non clinical rotations 4th year. I guess you could just do some path and rads rotations if you really don’t want to do anything clinical, but that just seems like a waste of an opportunity to do stuff you’ll never get to do again.
Agreed. Those people that waste their last chance to chill out and go on vacations during m4 year to do “clinical learning” when that’s what the rest of their entire career will be will never make sense to me.

Having to work during your EMR downtime is torture lol

• Care
Im looking forward to finishing residency… one year down. feels like it has been forever
I picked a specialty with 2 intern years. I've been on the verge of breaking and im only 1.5 months in. Send help.

• Care
Starting to freak out about step 3. I take it end of October. Someone reassure me lol

• Care
Do you guys think its better to take step 3 early (like before/early on in intern year) or, to wait to get some experience in intern yet before taking it

so like honestly, is it crazy to consider taking it between 4th yer and intern year? because i rapidly feel my step 2 knowledge exiting my brain and id really like not to study again

Im family med so i decided to wait to take it. But i have test anxiety that doesn’t help me.

so like honestly, is it crazy to consider taking it between 4th yer and intern year? because i rapidly feel my step 2 knowledge exiting my brain and id really like not to study again
This could be difficult as they need to verify your graduation and this could take a little time.

That won’t happen because the verification process, but I took mine in October and I’m happy I did.

That won’t happen because the verification process, but I took mine in October and I’m happy I did.
Its ideal to take it before intern year starts. Just got my passing score back yesterday. It felt more like Step 1 + Step 2 CK. Studying for CCSCases was actually helpful for the wards in terms up coming up with basic diagnostic workup/plan.

I agree the verification process is a pain. Mine took about 4 weeks after graduation and I couldn't get a date until mid-august.

Just got an 82.5% on a 40 question block. Go me lol

Just got an 82.5% on a 40 question block. Go me lol
You got this! I took it in June towards the end of intern year and it was fine. My personal best step score? No. But whatever it's over and I passed. You are at an advantage being FM because you will have fresh OB, surgery, medicine, and peds first-hand knowledge. I was yanking that info from the way back machine in my brain and still did fine.

You got this! I took it in June towards the end of intern year and it was fine. My personal best step score? No. But whatever it's over and I passed. You are at an advantage being FM because you will have fresh OB, surgery, medicine, and peds first-hand knowledge. I was yanking that info from the way back machine in my brain and still did fine.
Yeah everyone talks about this one being their best.
Ir wasn’t for me either. But who gaf WE PASSED

Im still nervous and not studying as much as I should be. Ughhhh. I hate USMLE lol

Any words of wisdom for step 3?

I loathe USMLE lol i want this to be over but im leaning toward postponing. I havent even taken a UWSA yet though….. did two ccscases from that website

Exam is in less than two weeks

Okay.. is a 210 on UWSA1 a reason to postpone?

Okay.. is a 210 on UWSA1 a reason to postpone?
Nah you’re good. My fiancé got like a 196 on UW1 and got a 239 on the real thing. I got a 203 last week and am still planning to take it soon. Gonna take UW2 next weekend but I’m thinking I’m ok.

Passed step 3! So great to be done!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users