MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was going to take Step 3 near the end of January but have decided to push back to the end of March instead. Found so little time to study in November and December :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
It’s geared toward step 1, but still a good resource to review the basics. There’s also a part two with some extra stuff.

My husband tried to tutor me and failed hahaha im hopeless

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha you just need it explained the right way. It’s very basic math and pretty easy concepts.
My problem with the biostats questions is that I will watch the OME videos and go “DUH wow this is easy I just need to remember the equation//put it into words” and then I get to a question in a time crunch and I’m reading it over and over again trying to figure out what they are asking for/which formula to apply. Then I just end up guessing to use that time on other questions.

My problem with the biostats questions is that I will watch the OME videos and go “DUH wow this is easy I just need to remember the equation//put it into words” and then I get to a question in a time crunch and I’m reading it over and over again trying to figure out what they are asking for/which formula to apply. Then I just end up guessing to use that time on other questions.

Yeah. It helps to think of math as another language and not just a bunch of formulas to memorize. It makes it easier to remember stuff.

For a really simple example, if you know sensitivity is the proportion of people with the disease who test positive, you already know from the word “proportion” that this is going to be a percentage and a fraction of a larger number. Then translating that to math, it’s just the number of people with the disease who test positive over the total number of people who have the disease.

Then from there you can get any of those 3 numbers as long as you have 2 of them just by doing your extremely basic math operations that you learned in grade school.

So if you know the definition of sensitivity, you don’t need to memorize the formula. You just take the words in English and translate them to math. It just takes practice.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly this lol

Hope you all survived 2020! Happy new year!

Reactions: 3 users
Done with adult inpatient until April. I am doing wonderful

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg how did i ever want to do peds? I legit hate it already and im on day 1. 8 weeks to go

• Haha
Can we start a residency complaining thread

Lol let’s change the name of this thread. Guys I’m not sure If I said this before but neuro is crushing my spirits.

• Care
“Residency Panic thread”
“Residency complaining thread”
“I need a vacation- intern edition”

-suggestions

I vote residency panic thread. What do you guys think?

Ive been paying more attention to the news than my afternoon patients... oops

Got the second dose of the vaccine this week. Two days of feeling a bit off. I’m gonna be so mad if we get a new strain that needs a different vaccine. It’s frustrating to see people on social media saying they don’t want the vaccine and are refusing to do basic infection control measures still... ugh I’m tired.

Reactions: 4 users
Got the second dose of the vaccine this week. Two days of feeling a bit off. I’m gonna be so mad if we get a new strain that needs a different vaccine. It’s frustrating to see people on social media saying they don’t want the vaccine and are refusing to do basic infection control measures still... ugh I’m tired.

Yeah honestly sometimes I wish I didn’t know anything about medicine, because even just being in med school, it’s so frustrating to see so many people just completely throw science in the trash and embrace magical thinking.

Yeah honestly sometimes I wish I didn’t know anything about medicine, because even just being in med school, it’s so frustrating to see so many people just completely throw science in the trash and embrace magical thinking.

My hope in US society was wiped out by covid and i'm now jaded :(

• Sad
Lol idk maybe 2022 will be a better year

Reactions: 4 users
Now that the name of this thread has been changed, does it really belong in the med student section of SDN?

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Now that the name of this thread has been changed, does it really belong in the med student section of SDN?
Tbh I’m happy to take the convo completely off SDN to a private messaging platform but idk what others thoughts are on that!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Tbh I’m happy to take the convo completely off SDN to a private messaging platform but idk what others thoughts are on that!
As am I. (If it really bothers people that much lol)

• Care
I personally only check this forum. Idk I feel like if we keep it on here and it stays active people can join in when they start to panic in residency in a few months lol.

Reactions: 6 users
I personally only check this forum. Idk I feel like if we keep it on here and it stays active people can join in when they start to panic in residency in a few months lol.
It will happen haha

Reactions: 2 users
anyone in here have a really late interview (early feb) and match there? they will probably be my #1 and I'm worried I won't be seriosualy considered

anyone in here have a really late interview (early feb) and match there? they will probably be my #1 and I'm worried I won't be seriosualy considered
I don’t think it really matters what happened to anyone else, they’re interviewing you so you have a chance. Don’t do anything weird on interview day and hope you’ll be ranked somewhere with a chance to match.
Good luck

• Love
You got an interview which means theyre already considering you!!

I underestimated how much note writing sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users