Carver vs UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4-cyclohexene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just trying to decide between my state school (Carver College of Medicine University of Iowa) or UVA. I loved UVA and Charlottesville, but just don't know if it's worth spending the extra money (OOS tuition and very little aid) to go to UVA.

I was pretty much set on UVA until yesterday when I found out I received a scholarship from Iowa. What do you guys think? My understanding is that the curriculum (1.5 years preclinical then clerkships) are pretty similar at both schools. Although at Iowa, I think we take the USMLE Step 1 after our clerkships while UVA takes them before. Is this a disadvantage?

UVA's match list also seems to be a bit more impressive to me than Iowa. I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on any spectacular opportunities for residency, research, curriculum etc by choosing my in state school and focusing on finances.

Thanks! I really appreciate any input!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick note about match list importance: Iowa's 'less impressive' match list probably appears that way not because students from Iowa can't match just as well as UVA, but because many students who decide on Iowa choose to do rural medicine or family practice because the school draws students from that population. UVA probably has fewer students with that specific aim. An Iowa student and UVA student with equivalent scores will not have any different doors open to them. They're both great schools.

I don't know a ton about UVA, but I think your ROI with Iowa is too hard to pass up. Not only do you get the benefit of IS tuition but you also have an additional amount off with scholarship. These loans add up quickly...I'm reminded every time I get my statement from Sallie-Mae lol. I can tell you here at Iowa you'll have every opportunity to pursue what your interested in whether it's research, global health, humanities, MBA, etc. I wouldn't put a ton of stock into match list because you can't know where students want to go and for what reasons. We match a lot of students in the Midwest because we have a lot of people from the Midwest. Big name doesn't always equal best fit or even great residency program for that matter. We regularly match people into the most competitive specialties and our Step 1 avg. is above the national mean. Unfortunately I can't comment on how that will change with the new curriculum...but I will say faculty is very aware of this concern and makes immediate changes involving the curriculum based on student feedback. If you put much stock into USNEWS, UVA and Iowa rankings are pretty comparable for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fellow Iowan myself, and I would be proud to have an acceptance from Iowa. I've lived in the south for a year and I hated it. As a kid, I grew up wanting to get out, but when I really grew up I couldn't wait to get back. I am hoping to apply to Iowa and DMU next year, with the goal of staying in the state and serving the people. Don't take it for granted; it really is a fabulous medical school and a great state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To echo the others, I'm pretty sure most people would regard Iowa and UVA as on the same level, Iowa has a great reputation nationally (at least for me who lives nowhere close to Iowa).

Don't bother with match lists, there's no way to adequately compare. For example, the top student in our class matched to a Midwestern FM program (her top choice). A friend of mine (a decidedly average student), matched integrated plastics at his very last choice on his rank list. On paper, the plastics match looks much better than the FM match, but you can never tell what people want. Not everyone wants to go into neurocardiacdermatolgic plastic surgery at Harvard.

That said, I'd choose Iowa. It's a great school, with a fantastic reputation, especially in surgery, and it's cheaper.

Carver is a great school. Save the cash.

Reactions: 1 user