Buffalo vs. Downstate vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The is the hardest decision I've ever had to make and I could really use some more opinions on this.

First of all, I'm out-of-state at all 3 schools. However, as many of you know, the SUNYs conveniently offer in-state tuition after your first year.

The 3 biggest deciding factors for me cost, class schedule and location.

Cost is the obvious one. As for class of schedule, I definitely want to attend a school where time spent in lecture/classrooms is limited, so I have more time to study on my own and more free time in general.

As far as location is concerned, I'm more of a suburban/small town type of person than an urbanite, but I could survive in both.

The X-factor is that my girlfriend is a med student at the University of Maryland. She's been very supportive of me in my applications and says we can work things out regardless of which school I attend.

But, I've heard that people tend to match to where they attend med school so, in the long term, that makes me want to pick a school closer to where she is, like VCU.

Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The is the hardest decision I've ever had to make and I could really use some more opinions on this.

First of all, I'm out-of-state at all 3 schools. However, as many of you know, the SUNYs conveniently offer in-state tuition after your first year.

The 3 biggest deciding factors for me cost, class schedule and location.

Cost is the obvious one. As for class of schedule, I definitely want to attend a school where time spent in lecture/classrooms is limited, so I have more time to study on my own and more free time in general.

As far as location is concerned, I'm more of a suburban/small town type of person than an urbanite, but I could survive in both.

The X-factor is that my girlfriend is a med student at the University of Maryland. She's been very supportive of me in my applications and says we can work things out regardless of which school I attend.

But, I've heard that people tend to match to where they attend med school so, in the long term, that makes me want to pick a school closer to where she is, like VCU.

Any input would be appreciated.

If you feel like you want to maintain your relationship with your girlfriend through medical school, I suggest VCU. Although if you could provide us with a rough estimate of the cost differences between the three schools, that would help. In addition, maybe you could also tell us the lecture schedules of the three schools (the number of hours spent in lecture per day). I'd say you'll have to do a "cost-benefit" analysis--find out which school best satisfies your "medical education" preferences--least number of hours in lecture, cheapest cost, and best area. Then factor in your girlfriend--or put her wherever you see fit. (Also think of the programs offered at each school and WHICH would provide you with the BEST resources to fulfill your career goals in the long-run).

I know what it's like to have an S.O. factored into your decision, since I had to do that until we broke up months ago (that definitely made my decision easier--not that I'm advocating a breakup or anything!!). It's a very tough decision to make, so best of luck with that!

That being said, I put Buffalo at the bottom because of the weather, Downstate 2nd because of its location (based on your criteria), and VCU at top because of your gf. Once you provide more info, I might revise my opinion :p (and also because I know nothing about the curriculum at Buffalo or VCU).

Keep in mind that Downstate is in a very ghetto area. I interviewed there and my student host took me out with his friends the night before. On the way to the subway station at night we walked right by a SUV whose window had been bashed in.

My hosts friends told me stories about how some of their classmates had been mugged (one during the daytime I might add!). And another told me that they had been the victim of an attempted robbery but managed to fight off the dude.

Needless to say that completely made me lose any interest in the school.

While you can live in better neighborhoods and commute (since on campus dorms are a no go as OOS) you will need to get to the subway station which is a few blocks away. If you were studying late night at the carrels and wanted to go home you would still have to walk to the station.

Also during your rotations you may get out late at night and that would be another, unavoidable, situation.

I know someone who just graduated from VCU and said that they loved it there. They were OOS too.

If cost is problematic, go to Buffalo. Yeah the weather sucks but really you can just buy some thicker coats. Trying to avoid getting mugged on the other hand is a lot tougher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that Downstate is in a very ghetto area. I interviewed there and my student host took me out with his friends the night before. On the way to the subway station at night we walked right by a SUV whose window had been bashed in.

My hosts friends told me stories about how some of their classmates had been mugged (one during the daytime I might add!). And another told me that they had been the victim of an attempted robbery but managed to fight off the dude.

Needless to say that completely made me lose any interest in the school.

While you can live in better neighborhoods and commute (since on campus dorms are a no go as OOS) you will need to get to the subway station which is a few blocks away. If you were studying late night at the carrels and wanted to go home you would still have to walk to the station.

Also during your rotations you may get out late at night and that would be another, unavoidable, situation.

I know someone who just graduated from VCU and said that they loved it there. They were OOS too.

If cost is problematic, go to Buffalo. Yeah the weather sucks but really you can just buy some thicker coats. Trying to avoid getting mugged on the other hand is a lot tougher.

Hmm, I haven't talked to any M1s/M2s that complained about the safety of the area. They did mention one staff member who was mugged, but nothing about students. That being said, I realize Downstate is in a pretty unsafe area, and as someone coming from one of the safest cities in America (that's what the FBI has labeled our city), I'm concerned about my safety as well, but I'm not going to let it affect my time there. Just take precautions and leave the rest up to chance. Downstate has a class of nearly 200, so every year, that many students continue to go to school there...it can't be THAT big of an issue, otherwise you'd have bloodied up, mugged students complaining each year.

This suggestion may not be viable to some, but I would say take the shuttle that Downstate offers its students to/from the subway stations. There's no need to force yourself to stay so late at Downstate that your safety becomes an issue (and by that, I mean midnight hours). Just leave around 8-9 each night and study the "rest" at home...

I interviewed at both Buffalo and Downstate. I felt very unsafe in the area near Downstate and did not get a good vibe from the school overall, and I've lived in some pretty ghetto areas. Buffalo gave me a much safer and overall happier vibe. I would choose Buffalo between those two. I do not know much about VCU though.

It would cost about 48,000 more to attend VCU than the SUNYs over 4 years, approximately. Cost of living differences between NYC and Richmond might bring that number down a little bit when comparing VCU and Downstate.

I felt the area surrounding Downstate was ghetto as well. But, if you use common sense, I'm sure nothing bad will happen to you and I am willing to step out of my comfort zone a little. Plus, I heard about the craziness of the clinical experience you get at Downstate which, honestly, is both a pro and con for me.

That being said, I did get better vibes from VCU and Buffalo. I'm not afraid of the cold at all, but I've lived in Buffalo before, and it seems to be cloudy all the time, which is a little depressing. There's also not much to do or eat around the city.

I'd say I liked VCU the best, and not just because it's close(r) to my GF. But it's also the most expensive school.

Well it seems that you really like VCU. The potential support your girlfriend could lend and the fact that it gave you the best vibe seems like it is worth the additional $40,000 or so, which isn't really that much in the long run.

It would cost about 48,000 more to attend VCU than the SUNYs over 4 years, approximately. Cost of living differences between NYC and Richmond might bring that number down a little bit when comparing VCU and Downstate.

I felt the area surrounding Downstate was ghetto as well. But, if you use common sense, I'm sure nothing bad will happen to you and I am willing to step out of my comfort zone a little. Plus, I heard about the craziness of the clinical experience you get at Downstate which, honestly, is both a pro and con for me.

That being said, I did get better vibes from VCU and Buffalo. I'm not afraid of the cold at all, but I've lived in Buffalo before, and it seems to be cloudy all the time, which is a little depressing. There's also not much to do or eat around the city.

I'd say I liked VCU the best, and not just because it's close(r) to my GF. But it's also the most expensive school.

If you like it the best, 50K isn't a HUGE price to pay over the course of four years, especially since it'll give you mental and emotional comfort..and possibly physical comfort as well ;)

If you would like to continue the relationship with your girlfriend, I would suggest VCU. Also, the weather sucks in Buffalo and the city really does not have much to offer

I can speak at length about Richmond so the OP is welcome to PM me if he or she is interested in the living situation. While I do not attend VCU, I've lived in Richmond. It does not have the attitude or attributes of a large city like NYC, Baltimore, or Washington DC so it may fit you well. There is hardly any traffic and walking anywhere is near impossible (car is a necessity). Safety is not an issue on the VCU campus. It has one of the largest police forces in the country with a combined effort of university, city, and state police all patrolling the area.

VCU also is less malignant than the Downstate. What I mean is the basic attitude of the clinicians. I have friends rotating through some hospitals kids at Downstate rotate through and said they are verbally and emotionally abused daily. You will be hard-pressed to find this at VCU where the faculty in general are benign.

While cost is a slight issue, someone pointed out the price difference of 48K which is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall average debt of graduates.

VCU matches well at VCU but it also matches well regionally esp DC/Baltimore/NC. However, your GF in B-more will still present a slight issue. 3 hours is not an easy commute especially up 95 but it's much better than coming from Buffalo. People make it work however. Your opportunity to spend years 3 and 4 at the INOVA campus in northern VA will also facilitate this relationship making the commute a mere hour.

VCU is a clear choice.

Everyone else has given you good points. I always told myself ~$50K would be the limit I'd choose a favored school over the less expensive one. I was fortunate enough not to have that dilemma, though, but if I were in your shoes, I'd choose VCU. It definitely seems like you'll be happier at VCU and be somewhere like 90 minutes closer to your girlfriend. Go to Richmond! :)

I felt the area surrounding Downstate was ghetto as well. But, if you use common sense, I'm sure nothing bad will happen to you and I am willing to step out of my comfort zone a little.

First off, assuming you'll be using loans to pay for med school, the cost difference will actually be greater once you factor in interest, and at the minimum, offset the increased cost of living at Downstate.

Also, common sense alone will most definitely not makeup for living in that section of Brooklyn. Although it will certainly help, it won't eliminate the possibility of something happening. After living in Baltimore, my best advice to you is to not underestimate the negatives of being in a bad area. Although you may never personally be mugged or worse, it will be something you have to think about every time you walk around outside at night.

While cost is a slight issue, someone pointed out the price difference of 48K which is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall average debt of graduates.
I agree with the rest of what you said, and think VCU will be far nicer than Downstate, but 48K is not a drop in the bucket - it's a ~25% increase in debt. That may be significant when you're a resident making payments and trying to get by on a meager salary. Either way, it's something to consider.

I applied all three schools, but didn't have the luxury of interviewing at VCU. However, I wanted warm weather as well, and I would not even consider Downstate over Buffalo. I initially thought I would rank Downstate above all the other SUNYs, especially since I lived in Queens after graduating, but it was the only school I walked away from without an excellent vibe. If you truly liked VCU the best, along with the warm weather and your girlfriend, that may be enough reasons to pay the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.