ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.
Lets get things rolling....I had a campus tour at SOMA a few weeks back. I am interested to see who will be joining this thread, and who is excited about what SOMA is about.

It would be great if some of the present class of 2011, and the incoming class of 2012 could contribute. Last years discussion was rich with wisdom of the "pioneers"...EastvsWest, where are you?

As for me, this is round two...MCAT retake Aug 22nd. Will aim to improve upon my 21P (yikes)...

But my apps. and LORs are in... I am ready for the call from Joyce...

Good Luck Doc Khalsa! A few of us from the c/o 2011 are always lurking around SDN to answer questions about our beloved SOMA. Although right now we're winding down to our last 4 weeks of school...so most of us are just ready to get the heck out of here and finally enjoy the summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey GreenShirt,

Just curious if you know anything more about the CHC you're going to (Oregon right?). Would love to hear. Congrats on finishing first year!

Lisa

is there any possibility of visiting one of these CHCs as a premed student? Im going to hawaii before fall 09 and id like to check out the CHC there.

is there any possibility of visiting one of these CHCs as a premed student? Im going to hawaii before fall 09 and id like to check out the CHC there.
i went up to the Flagstaff CHC a few weeks back after a campus tour. really impressive from the outside, unfortunately the day i could go happened to be a sunday and was closed...looks great though, small, not as impressive as the 500 bed level 1 trauma center of brooklyn, but new, and clean.
MMO, if you make it to Oahu CHC, let me know what you think..My top choices for CHC are Oahu, Brooklyn, and Flagstaff...

deal.
ill see how far i can bring my camera with me too.
in fact, here are two pics i took of the campus in tempe:
l_556197a84bfccadafddfffc06badb5a7.jpg

l_a8a3a1c2207e17bb809b647801861f7b.jpg

Good Luck Doc Khalsa! A few of us from the c/o 2011 are always lurking around SDN to answer questions about our beloved SOMA. Although right now we're winding down to our last 4 weeks of school...so most of us are just ready to get the heck out of here and finally enjoy the summer!

Thanks, i definitely appreciate it.. Have a lot of the kinks been worked out that was topic of conversation in last years thread? were you (overall) satisfied with the curriculum?

Congrats on the completion of school, and getting that first year under the belt, i will look forward to saying that my first year is done too... right now, i am more concerned with saying "i got into SOMA".

Enjoy the summer, i have a few friends in AZ, who have been updating me on the heat....thank God for AC..Safe move to your CHC...

Hey GreenShirt,

Just curious if you know anything more about the CHC you're going to (Oregon right?). Would love to hear. Congrats on finishing first year!

That goes for all of us..congrats to everyone who is finishing up...please keep us all updated on the CHC experience....

Lisa

deal.
ill see how far i can bring my camera with me too.
in fact, here are two pics i took of the campus in tempe:
l_556197a84bfccadafddfffc06badb5a7.jpg

l_a8a3a1c2207e17bb809b647801861f7b.jpg
i am pretty much sold on SOMA, i would have to fall hard in love with another school to sway me on that...By the way, MMO, i would love some of your EC stuff, could i put some of it on my AACOMAS app.? My EC consists of a 7year old, a newborn (July 1st), and a whole lot of work...

You can definitely check out "the comp", as the Hawaii CHC is called. I'll be there soon! They are a very welcoming and excited bunch to be partnering with SOMA. I'm from Oahu but a few of my classmates have visited the clinic on their own and all have had a great experience. Look them up:

www.wcchc.com

You can definitely check out "the comp", as the Hawaii CHC is called. I'll be there soon! They are a very welcoming and excited bunch to be partnering with SOMA. I'm from Oahu but a few of my classmates have visited the clinic on their own and all have had a great experience. Look them up:

www.wcchc.com
what are living costs like on that part of the island? is it do-able???

Wow!! Its crazy to see another class thread for SOMA getting up and running. And the funny thing is we are still NOT done with the first year. Note to all future applicants: Remember one important thing. Since we split our time in clinics beginning the 2nd year, we get 1 1/2 years worth of education in the 12 months we are in class the first year!! So while all the other post 1st, pre 2nd yrs are enjoying summer we are doing pelvic exams on a saturday and at the same time studying for the Endocrine midterm on Monday!! In other words--THERE IS NO SUMMER BREAK between 1st/2nd yrs.

Truthfully though we get 5 weeks, but that will be spent moving to our CHCs--:D:D:D:DYAY!!!!

I always recommend to interviewees/applicants especially if you have never been to a CHC before, to go and visit!! I went to visit after I was accepted and that completely sealed the deal for me. So Matt, you should go and visit. And if you visit after September 1st, there will be SOMA students there already to give you a tour.

Good Luck All C/O 2013 Applicants!! Welcome to the Revolution:thumbup:

Im excited that I applied to this school! I have a friend that is in the dental program down there and he seems to love it..... ive seen pictures down there and it looks amazing! Hope all goes well and I'll get an interview there! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
alright SOMA veterans and prospects... My top three choices have changed and been narrowed down to Brooklyn, Flagstaff, Oahu, Portland...I have been surfing the CHC websites (thanks EastWest...page 3 of last years ATSU-SOMA discussion thread)...My question is this: For those of you that picked those particular CHCs, what drew you to them? the CHC websites are good info for prospective patients, but don't really give a good feel for what their strengths/weaknesses/detractions are....Any suggestions????

MrMO....3 days...Where is your property in Hawaii?

3 days indeed!! ::nervous laugh::
the property is on the big island.

On another issue: is psychiatry considered primary care?
don't think so....could be wrong though (wouldn't be first time)...

OK, another topic: talking with my husband this afternoon and he says "so, you get 1 of your top 3 CHC's...what's to guarantee that you'll be in that place and won't get switched out at the last minute to go somewhere else?"
Very real concern. He's a teacher and needs a job wherever we end up. We are in SC now partly because he had such a hard time finding a job in Oregon. However, not particularly interested in moving from SC to AZ and then back to SC for the Beaufort location etc. or anywhere else on the east coast for that matter. Cross-country moves are very expensive particularly when you have about 12k pounds of stuff to move (when we moved before the hospital paid for our relocation...for med school, not so likely).

We might consider a year apart if really necessary until we knew where we would be for the next three years, but it still makes the program a little less attractive. OTOH, it's such an interesting program that I think it would be cool to be part of it. Call me indecisive.

L.

OK, another topic: talking with my husband this afternoon and he says "so, you get 1 of your top 3 CHC's...what's to guarantee that you'll be in that place and won't get switched out at the last minute to go somewhere else?"
Very real concern. He's a teacher and needs a job wherever we end up. We are in SC now partly because he had such a hard time finding a job in Oregon. However, not particularly interested in moving from SC to AZ and then back to SC for the Beaufort location etc. or anywhere else on the east coast for that matter. Cross-country moves are very expensive particularly when you have about 12k pounds of stuff to move (when we moved before the hospital paid for our relocation...for med school, not so likely).

We might consider a year apart if really necessary until we knew where we would be for the next three years, but it still makes the program a little less attractive. OTOH, it's such an interesting program that I think it would be cool to be part of it. Call me indecisive.

L.
not indecisive..just practical...

According the the underserved scholarships it is considered primary care....

FP,IM,OB/GYN,Peds, and Psyc I believe

Ha thanks.
Pragmatic...that's me. All except for the part about leaving my home in Oregon and a job I really liked to move to SC where I know pretty much nobody except for one (very good) friend who then moved to Atlanta...other than that, I'm pretty practical.
My biggest interest would be the Oregon CHC although Tucson would not be out of the picture by any means since my sister moved there last year. Wish I knew more about this process though.... *sigh*

OH, very interesting point about the payback programs considering psych primary care. I would've thunk no by the conventional definitions of primary care (peds, FP, ob/gyn, IM) but plenty of good reasons it should be. Hmmm.

not indecisive..just practical...

Once you accept the acceptance, you sign a contract with the school which includes the CHC location you will attend. Although there is a section in the contract which gives the school the right to change your CHC if necessary, from this years experience the only people who changed CHCs requested to do so. So SOMA has been very flexible about allowing people to move to different CHCs. If your in a CHC, and you WANT to be there, they are not gonna switch you out.

Big round of applause for MrMO...good job sir...

i am pretty much sold on SOMA, i would have to fall hard in love with another school to sway me on that...

Seems like a very interesting program, indeed. The whole concept of learning at a CHC starting 2nd year and then doing rotations there, sounds very intriging, even standing where I am now (already a medical student). I'm interested in hearing people's experiences as they go through this program, just out of curiousity.

By the way, your S/N makes me think of a song I used to sing for my yoga classes:

Sat Nam, Sat Nam, Sat Nam Ji. Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru Ji. :D

Big round of applause for MrMO...good job sir...

wow. thanks for the show of appreciation DOC KHALSA!
it was a bittersweet breakdown in the scores though =/ but still a good score nonetheless!
oh and i just wanted to give ya the heads up that I'm scheduled to hit up the Hawaii CHC sometime in the beginning of August...not sure if thats too early to see the DO students though.

Seems like a very interesting program, indeed. The whole concept of learning at a CHC starting 2nd year and then doing rotations there, sounds very intriging, even standing where I am now (already a medical student). I'm interested in hearing people's experiences as they go through this program, just out of curiousity.

By the way, your S/N makes me think of a song I used to sing for my yoga classes:

Sat Nam, Sat Nam, Sat Nam Ji. Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru Ji. :D
Good call...very astute...I am Sikh and teach Kundalini Yoga as well...Not my main focus though... Most of my time is spent as a Paramedic....

it was a bittersweet breakdown in the scores though =/ but still a good score nonetheless!
oh and i just wanted to give ya the heads up that I'm scheduled to hit up the Hawaii CHC sometime in the beginning of August...not sure if thats too early to see the DO students though.
I believe they don't arrive until Sept. Take lots of pix, and enjoy some well deserved stress-free time off.

Nice job on the retake Matt!

thanks MLT2MLTDTODO....haha sorry, thats a confusing handle
anywho, I am just curious what CHCs you guys are interested in so far?
here's a preliminary list from me as of June 27th:

• Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health, based in Waianae, HI, and serving Native Hawaiian, Asian and suburban populations in the northwest coastal section of the island.
  • An American Indian focused campus, based in Phoenix AZ, and serving American Indian communities in central Arizona, the Southwest, and the nation.
  • Family HealthCare Network, based in Porterville, CA (south of Fresno) and serving suburban and farm-worker populations in the valley at the base of Yosemite national park.
#3 is up for grabs though, I am still looking into other options such as the ever-so-popular brooklyn site...

FYI, someone wrote this on my MDAPP page...Matt, thought you might want to know..."Your biology subscore pretty much directly correlates with your performance in med school / boards"
You are sitting pretty...

FYI, someone wrote this on my MDAPP page...Matt, thought you might want to know..."Your biology subscore pretty much directly correlates with your performance in med school / boards"
You are sitting pretty...

I've seen a study that revealed the BS section correlated the most but still was not significant to performance. I'll try to find a link for you. My Bio score was my highest also, so it is nice to hear its the most important score.

there should be a study out there that correlates a high writing score with the ability to write 'really, really good' SOAP notes.
...any statistics majors out there with some free time and access to a few hundred docs?

Last edited:
Is anyone going to the Beaufort, SC CHC? I just applied to SOMA and currently live in Beaufort County. Their website was a big let down in regards to discussing info for students. I am also interested in how exactly we will be taught at the CHC. How are the semesters, weeks, days scheduled and how is it compared to a classical medical education?:confused:

You can register for their online secondary here. If you download the secondary application it says that it is for the year 2009.

Last edited:
thanks bruce!
btw i did a biographical essay on you for an English class many moons ago.

"Don't think! FEEEEL! It's like a finger pointing to the moon; don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory."

PS: i ran into the ATSU-SOMA class of 2012 group on facebook today. The page contains lots of images of the school and even includes pictures of the curriculum =]

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=23806720393

EDIT: I just found out the definition of Primary Care Physicians as put forth by the National Health Service Corps: "Any physician (MD or DO) with residency training in family medicine, internal medicine, OB/GYN, or pediatrics."
However, i saw that psychiatry was a heavily sought out specialty for Health Professional Shortage Areas.
I am looking at the National Health Service Corps main page on this site here
this seems perfect for me and i would assume it would fit perfectly for most people who select SOMA for their medical education as well.

Last edited:
I was accepted into the 2012 ATSU - SOMA class, and will be starting orientation in a week. Recently, I have created a blog site called The Student Osteopath that will detail my thoughts and experiences as I progress through medical school to become a D.O. Currently, it has some general information about the osteopathic profession, and my thoughts interviewing at SOMA, and the other schools that I visited. I hope that you will take a look. Prospective D.O. students may benefit from the articles I have posted.

The site is located at:

http://studentosteopath.com

I was just accepted today! I am not sure if I will take the acceptance as it is so close to the start date. Anyone else get accepted today?

I was just accepted today! I am not sure if I will take the acceptance as it is so close to the start date. Anyone else get accepted today?
wow!!!settle down.... accepted for this year???class of 2012????where in NM are you???

Does anyone know what the Oregon site(s) are? I am guessing the students will be rotating through the coalition clinics in Portland, however I am currently volunteering in one of the clinics and know that they will not be taking any SOMA students (we already rotate OHSU students)...

wow!!!settle down.... accepted for this year???class of 2012????where in NM are you???

I"m in Albuquerque. Unfortunately I had to turn down the acceptance, for the class of 2012, so I'll probably be reapplying unless I decide to pursue pharmacy instead...

I"m in Albuquerque. Unfortunately I had to turn down the acceptance, for the class of 2012, so I'll probably be reapplying unless I decide to pursue pharmacy instead...
Im up north in Espanola, EEE, my buddy from undergrad just got into PharmD at UNM...Good luck, they wouldn't let you defer, since they already offered admission

Hi folks,

I'm a SOMA second year and saw a few questions I could answer.

No one is switched out of their CHC against their will! On the contrary, the school made every effort possible to allow people to switch themselves around if they so desired.

The Oregon sites are mostly within the Multnomah County Health Dept CHCs. One is in St Johns (where our classroom is), one in Vancouver, and the next three closest. They're planning on splitting up into pairs, and we are going to have some choice as to which CHC we do our clinical work at.

Other than CHC stuff what else makes SOMA different from KCOM?

Other than CHC stuff what else makes SOMA different from KCOM?

The CHC stuff is a huge difference (in terms of where, how, and when you do rotations), but one other I know of is that SOMA's curriculum is system-based and uses the clinical presentation model (organized by organ system and chief complaint) while KCOM isn't. Although, I hear that KCOM is planning on switching to systems in the near future so that may not be significant.

I saw a post about psychiatry and I just wanted to point something out. You don’t have to go into primary care to go to this school. There are a lot of people in our class (2012) that are interested in all sorts of specialties, from psychiatry to surgery. The reason there is such an emphasis on primary care is because there is going to be a huge shortage of primary care physicians in a few years. Most medical schools are concerned about this so they like to see applicants interested in primary care.

SOMA isn’t going to reject you based on a desire to pursue a certain specialty, and SOMA does not have a huge influence on what you will eventually specialize in. All of that is determined by your residency. Really what SOMA is looking for is people that are genuinely interested in working with the underserved, and help is needed in every specialty. By the way, there is an incredible need for psychiatrists among the underserved.

I love the school, it is different, and might be part of the next major medical revolution. The US health care system is a joke and I feel like this school is creating the docs that are going to fix it.

...And this is what I think is neat about the school. It IS different. I (and many other PAs) believe if there is going to be a PA-to-physician bridge program it will start here, at ATSU-SOMA. The leaders of the school are forward-thinking and the curriculum is revolutionary. I think it's incredibly exciting. I'm a bit terrified of the unknown and sure, I wish it were cheaper, but it is exciting nonetheless.
Keep us posted.
Lisa ;)

]I love the school, it is different, and might be part of the next major medical revolution. The US health care system is a joke and I feel like this school is creating the docs that are going to fix it.

...And this is what I think is neat about the school. It IS different. I (and many other PAs) believe if there is going to be a PA-to-physician bridge program it will start here, at ATSU-SOMA. The leaders of the school are forward-thinking and the curriculum is revolutionary. I think it's incredibly exciting. I'm a bit terrified of the unknown and sure, I wish it were cheaper, but it is exciting nonetheless.
Keep us posted.
Lisa ;)

Dont know where this PA to physician bridge idea came from, and why PAs might believe its going to happen here. I haven't heard anything of the sort, and my personal feel is that there are now 2 ways to become a physician ie. DO/MD. If someone wishes to become a physician then that's the way to go. My class had one former PA student who decided to switch over to our inaugural DO program after her 1st PA year. She still had to take the MCAT and apply the same as all the rest of us.

BUT what I can say from talking to many of the top people at SOMA is that while SOMA right now will accept people who are not primary care oriented, this is something that will eventually change. One of the main goals of SOMA is to put Primary care physicians into Community health centers. Surgeons, and other sub specialists outside Primary care do not practice in CHCs, no matter how much they care for the underserved. In fact, this past Spring, one of the Medical directors for one of the bigger CHCs came to SOMA and was asked a question about doing a surgical residency at a CHC, and he blasted the student, pretty much telling them "If you want to do surgery, you should NOT be at this program. I dont want to waste my time and money training someone, who wont even stay at the CHC." (paraphrased as best I can remember, since I was sitting next to the student getting blasted). One of the "theoretical possibilities" I have heard about to keep students in Primary care at SOMA, is a future contract--something to the extent where the student signs a specific period of time with CHCs contingent with acceptance to the program--this would include school, residency, and work. My comment to this was that the school would then need to either drop tuition costs, or have some sort of payback option also set up with this type of contract, which are all also being discussed.

Anyways how it pans out in the future is still up in the air but I stand by my earlier statement: One of the main goals of SOMA is to put Primary care physicians into Community health centers So if you already KNOW you dont want to get into primary care, you seriously should consider a different school. Or to again paraphrase the above mentioned medical director, "you can become a surgeon at ANY OTHER medical school, this school is different..."

No hard data EastWest, just some gossip on the PAforum based on some educated guesses (Randy Danielsen is the first PA promoted to Dean of a medical school, etc.) I'm sure it hasn't escaped you that I'm willing to go the traditional route to be a physician.

Now, as far as cost, I agree it is too expensive to tie people into CHCs. However, in my mind, a student would be much more likely to secure a job with loan payback if s/he had demonstrated commitment to underserved by training in such a position. I thought this might be the case when I did 3 months of family practice/peds in an IHS-affiliated (but tribally owned) clinic in Oregon as a PA student. I think it might still be the case if the clinic hadn't had such a strong preference for NPs over PAs.

Still, it's an interesting concept. I wouldn't sign a contract to say I would work in a CHC after graduation without some guarantee of scholarship/loan repayment though--med school is far too expensive to limit one's options in that way. Med school after PA school is even more expensive :rolleyes:

Dont know where this PA to physician bridge idea came from, and why PAs might believe its going to happen here. I haven't heard anything of the sort, and my personal feel is that there are now 2 ways to become a physician ie. DO/MD. If someone wishes to become a physician then that's the way to go. My class had one former PA student who decided to switch over to our inaugural DO program after her 1st PA year. She still had to take the MCAT and apply the same as all the rest of us. ..."

No hard data EastWest, just some gossip on the PAforum based on some educated guesses (Randy Danielsen is the first PA promoted to Dean of a medical school, etc.) I'm sure it hasn't escaped you that I'm willing to go the traditional route to be a physician.

Now, as far as cost, I agree it is too expensive to tie people into CHCs. However, in my mind, a student would be much more likely to secure a job with loan payback if s/he had demonstrated commitment to underserved by training in such a position. I thought this might be the case when I did 3 months of family practice/peds in an IHS-affiliated (but tribally owned) clinic in Oregon as a PA student. I think it might still be the case if the clinic hadn't had such a strong preference for NPs over PAs.

Still, it's an interesting concept. I wouldn't sign a contract to say I would work in a CHC after graduation without some guarantee of scholarship/loan repayment though--med school is far too expensive to limit one's options in that way. Med school after PA school is even more expensive :rolleyes:

Randy Danielson is actually the dean of Arizona School of Health Sciences, which is not SOMA, its the 'sister' school at ATSU Arizona which the PA, PT, OT, AuD programs, and a few others fall under. The other two schools include SOMA and ASDOH the only dental school in AZ, also focused on serving the underserved.

I am definetely aware that you are taking the long road to get into med school, and I tip my hat to you. In fact, i am very much rooting for you to not only get accepted but to choose SOMA. You seem the kind of person this school wants. So come join us....be a part of the revolution...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.