ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I interviewed on 4/24 and was very impressed with the school. I thought the interview went reasonably well. They said that they may make a couple phone calls for the 2-3 seats that they still had open. They also said that they may accept people for next years class (which is what I would like to be accepted for), but I wasn't sure if they also call people who are accepted for the 2014 class.
-Does anyone know their standard practice for this?
-Has anyone been called who interviewed on the 24th?
-Does anyone know when the letters went/go out?

I would just call them today and find out. The office should be open now.

Members don't see this ad.

woah hey sean, glad to see ya, haven't seen you post in quite a while!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm sure you'll hear soon brotha!

I interviewed on 4/20 and just got an official call today with my locked-in seat for class of 2013!!!! I got a letter on 5/2 (Sat) that said I was accepted pending an open seat, and today I got a call confirming a seat opened up and I'm in! I've just recently been browsing this thread and it looks like there's some folks for me to meet. :D

I interviewed on 4/20 and just got an official call today with my locked-in seat for class of 2013!!!! I got a letter on 5/2 (Sat) that said I was accepted pending an open seat, and today I got a call confirming a seat opened up and I'm in! I've just recently been browsing this thread and it looks like there's some folks for me to meet. :D

i got the same call from dave! Cant wait til we get that package for deposits and materials. Need a roomate? Lol cant wait to meet yall in july!

did anyone from the high waitlist recently get in (within the last 5 weeks)? If so, that makes me alittle nervous, I was so certain I was the next one on the high waitlist

did anyone from the high waitlist recently get in (within the last 5 weeks)? If so, that makes me alittle nervous, I was so certain I was the next one on the high waitlist

No I am on the High Wait list too and haven't heard anything :(. I heard there were some spots open, but it sounds like they are going to the people who they recently accepted pending open seats.

No I am on the High Wait list too and haven't heard anything :(. I heard there were some spots open, but it sounds like they are going to the people who they recently accepted pending open seats.

i had a pending seat and i got my package today. So i think they are just making their way through the list. I am sure you guys will hear something soon!

just paid my deposit online... i swear my credit card was starting to melt, all 2000 was due, its starting to feel so close!

Last edited:
I was given an acceptance on Tuesday. I'm going elsewhere though, so there should be another spot open now. Best of luck to everyone!

I just got a letter from them, they sent it since April 30th but just got it today. Weird.

Anyways...alternate list :( That's waiting list right? But they didnt say high, medium, or low. How did you guys find out whether you're high, medium, or low? Should I email Joyce for further clarification on this? I know they have the list of accepted pending an open seat too. That pretty much means alternate listed folks like me have no chance right? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it depends on where you are on the list, but they have said that high on the list means a good chance of getting in this year. but best of luck! best way to find out is to def e-mail or call them. i think joyce will be out of the office until may 11th. you can ask for amy s. she has also been helpful to many of us in regards to these kinds of questions.

I am somewhat sad to inform everyone here that I have recently recieved an acceptance from another school and will be withdrawing my acceptance at SOMA on Monday. Hopefully it will go to someone on here! I loved the school but I can't pass up this offer!

I am somewhat sad to inform everyone here that I have recently recieved an acceptance from another school and will be withdrawing my acceptance at SOMA on Monday. Hopefully it will go to someone on here! I loved the school but I can't pass up this offer!

Good luck in Texas!

I hope I get your spot =P

I'm somewhere in the middle of the alternate list.

Thanks! It was a hard choice to make, but I can't pass up that tuition difference!

I hear ya - the difference between my state school and SOMA is $25,000/yr! So my pocketbook was kind of sad that I didn't get in there, but the rest of me is over the top happy with SOMA. :)

best of luck natrod! For those accepted, can you tell me what the turn around is for the financial aid info (like loans and what nots)? Also, whats the schedule for the start of the year? is the white coat ceremony before or after orientation? Thanks!

best of luck natrod! For those accepted, can you tell me what the turn around is for the financial aid info (like loans and what nots)? Also, whats the schedule for the start of the year? is the white coat ceremony before or after orientation? Thanks!

The white coat ceremony will be July 20th, the first day of orientation. As far as loans - nobody has gotten any info on this yet. You do need to turn in your FAFSA using your 2008 tax information. I emailed them asking when they would come out with the student budget and stuff for this next year and they said that it would be awhile still. So I would just concentrate on getting that FAFSA in.

Thanks Bruce!! I sent my fafsa right after i got the packet in my hands last week, hopefully everything works out and soon. who do you think i should call to make sure all my goodies have been received?

bad news,

i sent an email into amy stradling. I was at late feb the first person next to get off the waitlist and into the school, but since then they put a hold on taking any more waitlisters until all students were interviewed, so now theres 8 people in front of me bearing a seat opens up for them and one more set of interviewees this monday. Amy said I *may* have to wait until late July. Doesnt orientation start at july 20? I know in previous years (yes only 2), but students were accepted after school began. Im also wondering now and should've sent it in the email I sent her, those students who are accepted bearing a seat opens up, aren't nec. going to that school. It's not like they paid a deposit and have a seat, so who knows what'll happen.

just thought i'd let people know that whoever is on the waitlislt, we got 8 people in front of us at the minimum.

In an attempt, to enlighten other students on the current status of waitlisted students, I was educated that I may have been disrespecting the school by posting an email meant only for me. I am sorry and as a result, decided to delete the email immediately after notified.

Last edited:
Did you guys see this article? I thought that it was super interesting to see that the main things that residency programs look for are where SOMA students should be the strongest - the clinical years. It is refreshing and encouraging to see that residency programs as a whole have essentially the same value system as SOMA, and I am excited to have an extra year in order to develop relationships and clinical skills.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2009/05/the-successful-match-interview-with-dr-marianne-green/

bad news,

i sent an email into amy stradling. I was at late feb the first person next to get off the waitlist and into the school, but since then they put a hold on taking any more waitlisters until all students were interviewed, so now theres 8 people in front of me bearing a seat opens up for them and one more set of interviewees this monday. Amy said I *may* have to wait until late July. Doesnt orientation start at july 20? I know in previous years (yes only 2), but students were accepted after school began. Im also wondering now and should've sent it in the email I sent her, those students who are accepted bearing a seat opens up, aren't nec. going to that school. It's not like they paid a deposit and have a seat, so who knows what'll happen.

just thought i'd let people know that whoever is on the waitlislt, we got 8 people in front of us at the minimum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an attempt, to enlighten other students on the current status of waitlisted students, I was educated that I may have been disrespecting the author of the email by posting an email meant only for me. I am sorry and as a result, decided to delete the email immediately after having been notified.

Bummer...:thumbdown:

Last edited:
bad news,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an attempt, to enlighten other students on the current status of waitlisted students, I was educated that I may have been disrespecting the author of the email by posting an email meant only for me. I am sorry and as a result, decided to delete the email immediately after having been notified.

I'm surprised the last interview was this past Monday...don't they started interviews in Oct?...I guess they prefer to get as many "qualified" applicants possible and hopefully they wouldn't have to resort to grabbing students from the waitlist.

my guess is, t hey are trying to grab qualified students who couldn't seem to get into allopathic programs, along the range of a 3.6 and 30, who are trying last ditch efforts to get into even DO programs, and hence thats why they applied so late. I am sure there are quality students left and SOMA knows it.

my guess is, t hey are trying to grab qualified students who couldn't seem to get into allopathic programs, along the range of a 3.6 and 30, who are trying last ditch efforts to get into even DO programs, and hence thats why they applied so late. I am sure there are quality students left and SOMA knows it.
We and all world have such problems...

soma without prescription

Last edited:
Have any current SOMA student done a PRO/CON assessment of the school recently? I'd be interested to hear current students thoughts on the school!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5220815&postcount=27

{quoted from the link}:banana:
Curriculum: Small group, student-centered learning (neither PBL, nor lecutre format, but a hybrid). The curriculum itself is organized by system and incorporates the Clinical Presentation Model developed at Calgary University, which postulates that there are exactly 125 ways in which patients present to physicians. Also, unique is the fact that starting in the second year, clinical education will begin at a CHC (see below).

Location: First year is spent in beautiful, sunny Mesa, AZ (10min outside of Pheonix). The second through fourth years are spent at one of ten Community Health Centers (CHCs) which are located across the country from Hawaii to New York. At the time of acceptance, students are given their CHC assignment. The CHC's are part of the nation's healthcare safety net, serving the un/under-insured populations.

Cost: Middle range for DO schools

Financial Aid: Mainly Federal

Faculty: TBD....President is former head of AACOM, faculty still being assembled.

Reputation: TBD...currently riding on the reputation of its parent campus KCOM, the original school of osteopathy. How the schools own reputation grows, remains to be seen.

Technology: Very high-tech. All students are required to purchase a tablet computer custom-made for SOMA. Patient simulators, video/podcast lectures from main campus in years 2-4, etc. School is striving to stay abreast of the best technology.

Study Space/Library: Very small library, but study rooms are sprinkled throughout the building.

Library technology/Resources:Most books are on-line.

Rotations: Rotations are based on the Integrated Clerkship Model developed by Harvard University. Rather than the traditional separate rotations, IM, Peds, OB/GYN, FP rotations will occur all at once at the assigned CHC. Hospital-based rotations such as surgery and EM will take place at an associated hospital.

Social: Should be awesome. In year 1, you're located a few minutes from Pheonix, one of the largest urban centers in the US and all the natural parks of AZ. The CHC's are mostly located in large Urban centers, such as Seattle and New York, or near beaches such as Waianae, Hawaii or Beaufort, South Carolina.

Hospitals: TBA. As mentioned most education will take place within the CHC. The CHC's serve 15 million people annually and provide comprehensive evidence-based medical care.

Post Grad: TBA. School is very primary-care, non-tertiary care oriented.
Cafeteria Food: TBA (small cafeteria)
Cafeteria Prices: TBA

so has anyone figured out who they will use as insurance providers? my current policy does not provide needle stick coverage and they don't have it as an option other =(

I'm surprised the last interview was this past Monday...don't they started interviews in Oct?...I guess they prefer to get as many "qualified" applicants possible and hopefully they wouldn't have to resort to grabbing students from the waitlist.

My understanding for the reason the school holds interviews so late is more along the lines of the mission. The school was started at the request of the CHCs in order to help fill some much needed areas of health care in the US. Specifically to help the undeserved and underrepresented. Many of the underrepresented minorities tend to turn applications in later than other groups of medical students. SOMA holds their application cycle open longer to get those students.

Have any current SOMA student done a PRO/CON assessment of the school recently? I'd be interested to hear current students thoughts on the school!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5220815&postcount=27

{quoted from the link}:banana:
Curriculum: Small group, student-centered learning (neither PBL, nor lecutre format, but a hybrid). The curriculum itself is organized by system and incorporates the Clinical Presentation Model developed at Calgary University, which postulates that there are exactly 125 ways in which patients present to physicians. Also, unique is the fact that starting in the second year, clinical education will begin at a CHC (see below).

Location: First year is spent in beautiful, sunny Mesa, AZ (10min outside of Pheonix). The second through fourth years are spent at one of ten Community Health Centers (CHCs) which are located across the country from Hawaii to New York. At the time of acceptance, students are given their CHC assignment. The CHC's are part of the nation's healthcare safety net, serving the un/under-insured populations.

Cost: Middle range for DO schools

Financial Aid: Mainly Federal

Faculty: TBD....President is former head of AACOM, faculty still being assembled.

Reputation: TBD...currently riding on the reputation of its parent campus KCOM, the original school of osteopathy. How the schools own reputation grows, remains to be seen.

Technology: Very high-tech. All students are required to purchase a tablet computer custom-made for SOMA. Patient simulators, video/podcast lectures from main campus in years 2-4, etc. School is striving to stay abreast of the best technology.

Study Space/Library: Very small library, but study rooms are sprinkled throughout the building.

Library technology/Resources:Most books are on-line.

Rotations: Rotations are based on the Integrated Clerkship Model developed by Harvard University. Rather than the traditional separate rotations, IM, Peds, OB/GYN, FP rotations will occur all at once at the assigned CHC. Hospital-based rotations such as surgery and EM will take place at an associated hospital.

Social: Should be awesome. In year 1, you're located a few minutes from Pheonix, one of the largest urban centers in the US and all the natural parks of AZ. The CHC's are mostly located in large Urban centers, such as Seattle and New York, or near beaches such as Waianae, Hawaii or Beaufort, South Carolina.

Hospitals: TBA. As mentioned most education will take place within the CHC. The CHC's serve 15 million people annually and provide comprehensive evidence-based medical care.

Post Grad: TBA. School is very primary-care, non-tertiary care oriented.
Cafeteria Food: TBA (small cafeteria)
Cafeteria Prices: TBA

I am a first year and here is my take on some of the things you talked about.

Curriculum: The style is much more along the lines of problem based learning. We still basically get lectures, they are just a little more informal. It is easier to ask questions and get students more involved in the lecture. All of it makes learning better and easier. There are not exactly 125 clinical presentations, but about 125. There is some flexibility built in because medicine is always changing.

Location: We are more like 30 minutes from downtown Phoenix (the campus is in East Mesa). We are about 20 minutes from downtown Tempe (where ASU is). Down town Scottsdale is also about 30 minutes.

Rotations: I am not too sure about rotations being only a first year but this is not quite the concept I had in mind. I was thinking it was more traditional where you go to different sites for each rotation. Perhaps eventually they will go to the model you described?

Reputation: Of course as a new school the reputation is still growing. But the curriculum years 1-2 is based on a curriculum developed in Calgary. That school also has a good reputation. From what I understand the year they implemented this curriculum the school went from the bottom tier of board scores to one of the highest scoring schools in Canada.

Study Space/Library: Most of the library is dedicated to study space and there are several other places throughout the building. All the rooms are open (including labs) for students to use any time there is not a class.

Resources: You will still by textbooks for class, but have access to thousands of books for reference.

Post-Grad: The school is focused on filling the health care needs of the nation (which obviously includes a lot of primary care). But it is in no way exclusive. The dean is a nephrologist. When I interviewed I made no bones about wanted to be a child psychiatrist. Obviously I made it in (but there is also a need for child psychiatrists in the nation). So while there is a focus on primary care as part of the mission of the school, you can of course still specialize in anything you want.

so has anyone figured out who they will use as insurance providers? my current policy does not provide needle stick coverage and they don't have it as an option other =(

Have you looked into insurance from the SOMA (the organization not the school). They have reasonable rates and provide the exact coverage you need for school.

http://www.studentdo.com/

PM me if you have more questions

Yes I have, thanks. I was just looking for any other options so i can do some comparison shopping. Is SOMA your provider also?

Post-Grad: The school is focused on filling the health care needs of the nation (which obviously includes a lot of primary care). But it is in no way exclusive. The dean is a nephrologist. When I interviewed I made no bones about wanted to be a child psychiatrist. Obviously I made it in (but there is also a need for child psychiatrists in the nation). So while there is a focus on primary care as part of the mission of the school, you can of course still specialize in anything you want.

Hi sebrewer,

I am a hopeful candidate for Class of 2015 (I know I'm a little ahead of myself), but I look forward to hearing your experiences as you work towards your goal. I, too, am wanting to be a child psychiatrist, and from everything that I have been reading about ATSU/SOMA, I'm totally impressed.

Thanks for sharing information.

Hey everyone, Moving to AZ from Florida, currently looking for other SOMA roommates. PM for more info/ if interested

its official. see you awesome people next year.

btw, who wants a roommate?

dude congrats!!! i'm very stoked you made it! what are you thinking about for housing?

Im thinking of flying out and checking out some of the places near campus. I'd rather have a roommate, but im totally fine with not having one. Also does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is, when orientation is (are they bundled together?), and when the first day of classes are?

thanks

check out the class of 2013 thread, but the white coat ceremony is monday july 20th, that's also the first day of orientation. the first day of class is the following monday. when are you going to go check out housing options? i'm still looking around. have you been given an atsu portal access yet?

check out the class of 2013 thread, but the white coat ceremony is monday july 20th, that's also the first day of orientation. the first day of class is the following monday. when are you going to go check out housing options? i'm still looking around. have you been given an atsu portal access yet?

i get the atsu portal access w/ my package that should be coming in the mail on friday.

I have been trying to find some more information about this school, I have browsing through some of the pages here, and visited the site. I see references to podcasts. Are the lectures at this school taught through distance education?

I have been trying to find some more information about this school, I have browsing through some of the pages here, and visited the site. I see references to podcasts. Are the lectures at this school taught through distance education?

I believe, from what I have read, that the first year is pretty intense and onsite on the Mesa Campus. It sounds like a 12 month deal versus a regular med school first year which might be 9 - 10 months. Then years 2-4 are done at the CHC with a combination of methods, and might have some of the same aspects as PBL.

It's definitely a unique program, and one I'm definitely interested in exploring further next year!

During the first year though, are you actually getting taught by professors in person, or are you listening to podcasts and using telecommuncations?

During the first year though, are you actually getting taught by professors in person, or are you listening to podcasts and using telecommuncations?

I believe that it is full face time with the professor.

Podcasts during first year do not happen very frequently. When a professor has to leave town unexpectedly, they'll usually make a podcast of the lecture(s) they were scheduled to deliver, and post them online before they leave. This has probably happened four or five times during the year. And even less common - if a professor runs out of class time before finishing all their slides, they might do a short podcast just covering the missed material. I think this happened only once, maybe twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.