ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was offered a spot last week ! woohoo!!
I sent the deposit today. But I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools. So perhaps things will shift around and someone might get my spot :)
good luck to those that still have interviews!

Were you initially on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear anything about getting off the waitlist? I am (im)patiently waiting to hear from KCOM, I interview 2/2. Does anyone know if an update letter would be beneficial at this school? I want to go to this school so bad, I am thinking about taking a year off to accept their offer for guaranteed admission next year.

Just to note, the AdCom didn't meet yesterday (3/4/09). They'll meet again next Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI to all you KCOM-hopefuls out there:

I received an interview invite yesterday and was told that they had filled 172 seats so far. I was also told that people maybe placed on waitlists for 2009 with guaranteed spots for 2010.

Are there any 3rd/4th year or recent graduates of KCOM that feel like answering a few questions I have about the school?

sooo.. for those that interviewed feb 27/march 2nd.. the adcoms meet tomrw (march 11).. do you think we'll get a reply from them tomrw? I'm feeling as anxious as a little school girl before a big prom dance....:scared:

do you think we'll get a reply from them tomrw?

From my experience when I wasn't shown any love 2 years ago post interview (is applying and interviewing at a school that has rejected you post interview once like battered spouse syndrome? Despite the abuse, I just keep coming back? :D), they mail the response via snail mail, but you can call in and ask for the results as well.

PS Go Feb 27th people!

Last edited:
From my experience when I wasn't shown any love 2 years ago post interview (is applying and interviewing at a school that has rejected you post interview once like battered spouse syndrome? Despite the abuse, I just keep coming back? :D), they mail the response via snail mail, but you can call in and ask for the results as well.

PS Go Feb 27th people!

If I remember correctly they'll e-mail you if you got accepted pending a spot and most people seemed to get those on Thursdays. If you get the alternate list (not guaranteed a spot next year) or rejected they'll do snail mail. Either way they said to call tomorrow morning if you want to find out.

For those that are currently on the wait list there is some sign of relief. When I went for my interview at KCOM 2/20, I talked to a second year student for like the entire time. She was on the wait list and she told me its no worries if you are bc most people get in from it. Remember this is a rural of all rural areas and most would rather choose another school over kcom just bc of that reason even tho it is a great school. People will pull out their acceptance as they will start to hear back from other school as the year progresses. So keep adcom posted on anything new you have, loi, transcripts, new ec, anything! Keep your head up and good luck everyone.

Just called and I was selected as an alternate. At least it wasn't an all out rejection like 2 years ago! :luck::)

Hi there,

My husband was put on the approved for admission list after he interviewed Feb. 21-ish.

He just got a call this morning saying that he is being offered an official seat.

:thumbup:

Well, congrats to your husband...but I WANT one of those phone calls. Please ATSU, show me some love.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

Sorry, I didn't mean to be smug at all. It was his first acceptance and he is a re-applicant many times over.

Also, he just got into Touro-NY, which is not as good as a school, but we're probably going to choose for location and career opportunities for me (Thank GOD!). So, not official, but it'll probably be another open spot for you all.

I called admissions this morning after interviewing and they said no decision , you can check next week. The suspense is killing me! I know I'm impatient. Anyone from last week hear any good news?

Anyone interviewing at Kirksville next Friday, 3/27? :D

Just an FYI to all you KCOM-hopefuls out there:

I received an interview invite yesterday and was told that they had filled 172 seats so far. I was also told that people maybe placed on waitlists for 2009 with guaranteed spots for 2010.

It's a bit crazy how that works. Next year, the school will already have seats filled up even before the next application round. It just goes to show how competitive med schools, whether it be allo or osteo, are for any new fresh-out-of-college applicant (not to even mention the average age for matriculants which is way above 21).

Hi All. I am looking for a prospective medical student that just interviewed at KCOM on Monday, March9th. His name is Cameron, and he graduated from BYU, and still lives in Provo. I didn't get his last name, but I am really excited to see how his interview went.
Thank you for your time!!!

This maybe a silly question but I just got my secondary last week from ATSU and am wondering if its even worth submitting now. I'm by no means, an outstanding application either.

I'll also be applying for the MPH program as well since I'm a current MPH student at Touro CA and can probably finish up the program there if I get in.

Last edited:
This maybe a silly question but I just got my secondary last week from ATSU and am wondering if its even worth submitting now. I'm by no means, an outstanding application either.

I'll also be applying for the MPH program as well since I'm a current MPH student at Touro CA and can probably finish up the program there if I get in.

At the interview on 3/9 they said they only have 4 more interview days. I'm guessing that the interview days they have next week are the last of them. I'd call and double check that. Now if you really want to, you can still submit your secondary because some people got the invite within 2 days of submitting it but chances are it's a long shot.

!!!

I just got the call. I guess that a seat just opened up, and I can now *officially* become a member of next year's class.

Osteopassenger, if this was your husband's doing, make sure to thank him for me, haha.

Last edited:
Hi! I have been accepted pending a seat for 2009 or guaranteed 2010 to KCOM (yay), but I have 2 other outright acceptances to DO schools, so I have to make a decision soon. Does anyone know how many people they place on the pending a seat list? I don't really want to take a year off from school. Also, does anyone know if they record the lectures so you can relisten or rewatch them later?

Hi! I have been accepted pending a seat for 2009 or guaranteed 2010 to KCOM (yay), but I have 2 other outright acceptances to DO schools, so I have to make a decision soon. Does anyone know how many people they place on the pending a seat list? I don't really want to take a year off from school. Also, does anyone know if they record the lectures so you can relisten or rewatch them later?

I know what I'm about to say may suck for others at the schools you have acceptances to, but, if you really want to go to medical school then put a deposit down at that school and wait to see if you get a seat at KCOM. If one opens up and you really want to go to KCOM then see if you can't get some of your deposit back from the other school and go KCOM. It's a brutal system but, I would say you have to do what's best for yourself. If it's the money you are worried about 1000 dollars isn't really that much when you compare it to the close to 200 thousand you will be in debt by time your done with school.
I would recomend chose a school and go with it. At least you will be in school. Good luck. It's a tough choice.
Most lectures are recorded and can be listened to at later dates. Only a few professors request their lectures to be video-taped. But there aren't many that chose/want to be videotaped. OTM labs are all videotaped for future enjoyment..

!!!!!!!!! Just got moved off the waitlist !!!!!!!!!

So excited to be joining the class of 2013! Good luck to all of you still waiting on a seat and can't wait to meet everyone this fall

Congrats!

Just curious, were you on the alternate list of the 'accepted pending space' list?

Guaranteed waitlist! OMG! I'm actually going to be a doctor!

Yes I was originally on the waitlist pending a seat.... Good luck to you!

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but according to the KCOM interview page there are still open interview days. Unless there are currently more open seats than interviewees left, why would they be pulling people off of the 'accepted pending' list already? Since they are pulling people, does that mean that they will burn through the 'accepted pending' list and reach the alternate list?

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but according to the KCOM interview page there are still open interview days. Unless there are currently more open seats than interviewees left, why would they be pulling people off of the 'accepted pending' list already? Since they are pulling people, does that mean that they will burn through the 'accepted pending' list and reach the alternate list?

Eeee. I don't think that there are any open seats available. All remaining interviews are technically for waitlist spots. I'm not sure how the waitlist is ranked, but I think that all "accepted pendings" probably get seats first, then they move on to the alternate list. What I'm not sure of is how they choose people from each of the lists. I don't know whether it's when you were added to the list, some kind of post-interview score, or something more subjective like their perception of your interest in the school (or a combination.)

I also know that they said that they got through everyone on the "accepted pending list" last year, so yey. I'm also sure that they make offers to the people on the alternate list, I mean if not, why have it? The only thing I'd be concerned about is when the offers come. I'm sure that seats open up within months/weeks/days of orientation, and by then I'll bet that the waitlist has shrunk considerably as people take other offers, etc, etc.

Good luck man, I hope you make it this time =]

There is definitely a ranking of some sort on the guaranteed waitlist. Rhoads interviewed on the same day as me, and he was offered a spot a while ago. This waiting is really agonizing. Congrats to everyone that has been offered a spot.

Last edited:
Hey All! I am just wondering if anyone has started searching for housing yet in Kirksville? If so, what are the best places to live? Thanks!

PS- Best of luck to everyone still waiting!! :luck:

Hey All! I am just wondering if anyone has started searching for housing yet in Kirksville? If so, what are the best places to live? Thanks!

PS- Best of luck to everyone still waiting!! :luck:

You'll have access to a housing list soon which should help.

Also contacting admissions can help. As for best places I'd suggest asking your student contact or 307doc. What are you looking for? "Best" can be relative!

My best was a place within walking distance, new, and accepts pets! Luckily I found a place. You shouldn't have much trouble....depending on what you're looking for. Goodluck searching.

So...there was a deposit deadline yesterday. Anyone hear anything on the waitlist? I'm really hoping to join the class of 2013. Also , does anyone know if they like loi. I did' get a lot of feedback when I called admissions.

So...there was a deposit deadline yesterday. Anyone hear anything on the waitlist? I'm really hoping to join the class of 2013. Also , does anyone know if they like loi. I did' get a lot of feedback when I called admissions.
I was accepted pending seat availability and KCOM is my top choice so I'm disappointed that I haven't received any word yet.

I just called the Admissions office at KCOM today and spoke to Brooke. She says that they're giving the accepted students an additional day to get their deposits in and they have been processing them since yesterday. Most likely, she says they will be calling students who have been accepted pending seat starting Friday or Monday.

I asked if there was a ranking and she said she couldn't answer questions about that but knows that her supervisor doesn't give out information regarding that.

Parker, what do you mean by "loi"?

Thanks for the info humbleton! I'm really going to be waiting by the phone fri and Mon I guess, KCOM is my first choice too. I was wondering if sending a letter of interest would be helpful or if the rankings were set & further interest won't be considered.

I just got accepted off the wait list on Friday, so yes there is some movement. They won't say anything about where people are on the wait-list, but I think that you should make sure to let them know they are your top choice even just through email, it can't hurt! Good luck and hopefully you'll hear soon!! :D

hey bananabear when was your interview if you dont mind sharing?

I was accepted off the waitlist too! I am so excited to be joining the class of 2013! Good luck to everyone on the list, hope to see you all this fall!

ParkerP, first off congrats! My interview was on March 2. I guess I will be seeing you in the fall, have a great summer!! :)

Did anyone get an email from Donna Sparks today asking to choose from a list of options of what your current interest in KCOM is?
I got this email today and am a bit confused as to what option to select.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the options are:

"I am interested in a seat at KCOM this year or next year.

I am interested in a seat at KCOM for this year only until ____________ (list date). Orientation begins on 8/21/09.

I am no longer interested in a seat at KCOM.

I am interested in requesting a deferral to the Class of 2014 beginning in August 2010."

If I choose the first option will they not select me for this year and choose someone in a more urgent situation?

KCOM is my top choice, I've already written the admissions staff a letter of interest and turned down another school and a great job for a chance to attend this year :( Any advice would be appreciated!

Congrats to all those who got a seat today!

Humbleton, got the same e-mail as you did. I wonder if it matters what you choose or if Admissions is just trying to clear up the list a little more by weeding out some of the applicants that no longer want a seat this year.

I also got the same email. Kind of disheartened to get it. To me, it appears that waitlist movement has halted for a time. Good luck to everyone.

I too was REALLY hoping to get the "you've been accepted" call today, instead I got the same email as the last couple of posters. KCOM is by far my top choice and I really want to go here, but I am not willing to give up a year for it. My second choice is ATSU SOMA, and it is starting to look like I may end up there more and more. When I spoke to the admissions office they said that many MD schools offer spots around May 1st and that another deposit is due on May 15th, so those are some dates to look forward to for some info. I hope we all see some love soon. And, for gosh sakes people, choose a different school (just kidding).

I'm interviewing in KCOM this next week Monday and so I was wondering if any of you who have interviewed there can advise me regarding what hotel to stay. The reviews are freaking me out. Also should I rent a car or just take the cab? My experience taught me that I do not have a built-in GPS in my head so I'm nervous about driving in an unknown territory. I'm already flying to Kirksville so driving from STL or MCI is out of question as I cannot refund my ticket without paying more than 50 % of its original price. I really need your feedbacks as I am planning to book my hotel tomorrow and I need to stay there for two nights. Thanks

I'm interviewing in KCOM this next week Monday and so I was wondering if any of you who have interviewed there can advise me regarding what hotel to stay. The reviews are freaking me out. Also should I rent a car or just take the cab? My experience taught me that I do not have a built-in GPS in my head so I'm nervous about driving in an unknown territory. I'm already flying to Kirksville so driving from STL or MCI is out of question as I cannot refund my ticket without paying more than 50 % of its original price. I really need your feedbacks as I am planning to book my hotel tomorrow and I need to stay there for two nights. Thanks

I highly recommend a GPS if you can get one. I stayed at the Comfort Inn. No complaints, got some pretty good cookies as well.

Meh, if you're flying INTO Kirksville directly, then I wouldn't waste money on the GPS. Kirksville isn't exactly that large of a city and most of the motels are on the same road anyways. KCOM has a water tower and is right next to the hosptial (hospital has signs), so it's easy to navigate to. Regardless, I suggest driving to the school the night before so that you know where it is (same advice for all interviews).

I stayed at the Super 8 this year and it was a pretty nice location. No complaints about it at all.

I stayed at the Knight's Inn as well as the Budget Host Inn. Not exactly the newest places but they have a bed, a hot shower, wireless, TV and are pretty cheap.

I just wanted to let all of the people on the accepted pending a seat list that I was accepted off of that list this past Fri- apparentally one seat opened up! So there is still some movement on this list- Good Luck!

If anyone is still looking for a 1 bedroom place in Kirksville, send me a message. I'm currently trying to get out of my lease that I signed for August. It's right across the street from the school.

Message me and I can give you more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.