ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got KCOM secondary invite via email. Anybody else get it today?

i got it too 6/27

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind posting the questions/requirements?

Thanks a ton!!

hey guys, I was just wondering what airport to fly into to get to kirksville? I see they have a little airport, but I don't love the idea of coming in on a little puddle jumper. What's the closest major airport and how long does it take to drive to kirksville from there?

hey guys, I was just wondering what airport to fly into to get to kirksville? I see they have a little airport, but I don't love the idea of coming in on a little puddle jumper. What's the closest major airport and how long does it take to drive to kirksville from there?

I heard that you have to fly into KC (I think) and then take the puddle jumper to Kirksville. Sounds like fun...

I live in Columbia, MO. It is about 90 miles south of Kirksville and I have alot of family up there. If you go to MCI (Kansas City International) it is about 3 hrs from Kirksville (You do get to drive through Walt Disney's hometown though, haha). I would fly into St. Louis (STL). It is about 2 1/2 hours from Kirksville. St. Louis also has about 3-4 flights a day to Kirksville Regional (About 4 miles south of A.T. Still.) Truth is it's either Kirksvilles airport or about 3 hours of driving.

Great! Thanks for the help :)

just got an invite to interview! i'm so excited, this is my first one! anyone else heard back?

Emailed school and apparently I'm in the pile of applications next in line to be screened for potential interview. Wonder how long it takes for them to actually render a decision.

Their computer system is a little buggy. first it took my money and not the application, then it took both but didn't have me complete for a while, and it never sent me a confirmation number.

quick question: If you were a relative of A.T. Still would it be really easy to become a D.O., especially at a school named after him? I'm not, but I'm just curious.

I clicked submit and everything about a month and a half ago. Evidently the first submission was a dry run and I had to resubmit yesterday. Little frustrated. Need to dig up credit card bills to make sure I wasn't double charged.

does KCOM email invite you for a secondary? I was complete 8/13..it's only been 10 days but I was wondering if there was a general time frame in which they send u an email after u submit?

nevermind, got it today haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay just got invite for interview today. Now gotta figure out where to stay.

They let you stay with a student if you want to do so.

I chose that option but no one has contacted me yet. I'm mainly worried about how to get there. Flying into KC and gonna drive bcanut renting a car while under the age of 25 can get expensive.

I chose that option but no one has contacted me yet. I'm mainly worried about how to get there. Flying into KC and gonna drive bcanut renting a car while under the age of 25 can get expensive.

I called about it, because I wondered too. Apparently, they are training a boat load of "ambassadors" in September. When all that training is done, those students will then be put in contact with the interviewees, and arrangements for staying over can be made then. The admissions people said you are guaranteed a room, though, because there are so many people being trained.

When is your interview scheduled for? I'm 10/6.

Yeah, I chose to stay with a student. I'm glad they offer it cause gas is going to be expensive and hotel costs hurt.

I called about it, because I wondered too. Apparently, they are training a boat load of "ambassadors" in September. When all that training is done, those students will then be put in contact with the interviewees, and arrangements for staying over can be made then. The admissions people said you are guaranteed a room, though, because there are so many people being trained.

When is your interview scheduled for? I'm 10/6.

We have the same interview day. Where you coming from? I'm coming from miami and cant find a non-stop flight so I'm gonna chill in kansas city after the interview and go home the next day at some point.

Do they require the evaluator forms from recommenders?

thanks

Do they require the evaluator forms from recommenders?

thanks

Evidently not. I didn't use that and got an interview.

I'm really excited for the interview. This is one of those schools I really wanted a chance at. My birthday was yesterday and I was kind of pissy by the end because it was so crappy and then at 11:59 p.m. I got an email saying I got an interview invite. Made my bday awesome for that one minute.

Evidently not. I didn't use that and got an interview.

I'm really excited for the interview. This is one of those schools I really wanted a chance at. My birthday was yesterday and I was kind of pissy by the end because it was so crappy and then at 11:59 p.m. I got an email saying I got an interview invite. Made my bday awesome for that one minute.

You'll love KCOM, it's a top notch school. Small community, but great school. Good luck on the invterviews.

Thanks. I grew up in a town that was roughly the same size with about the same distances to real cities. I suspect I'll be very comfortable in the environment and don't know if I can wait the month for the interview!

Booking the flight ticket is driving me nuts. There seems to be no direct flights from CA to Kirksville. Damn...so much trouble that made me wanna withdraw...

Actually you have to fly into St Louis and the puddle jumper costs like $150 for the round trip :(

It was suggested to me to just fly in to the larger airport and then drive. Evidently flights are kind of sketchy going into kirksville, and they like to cancel them a lot. That extra 120 dollar flight could be used for a rental car...and it'd probably end up being the same amount. Sure the drive sucks, but it lets you have a little more freedom in the area to explore the vast nothingness of the midwest.

When I interviewed for the MS program, I flew in to Kirksville from St. Louis. I haven't flown back into Kirksville again, because it is pretty pricey. I usually fly into KC, and drive. KC has a better drive IMO and it usually takes me 2.5 to 3 hours. Just make sure you know where you are going. If you have a Garmin or the like, USE IT. The roads are a little tricky just outside of KC.

Hi,
I would fly into KC and drive. That would probably be cheaper than flying to Kirksville. Check ticket prices to both STL and KC though. Depending on where you are coming from, there can be a huge difference in prices flying into one airport or the other. Also, we are in the process of getting student hosts set up for you guys, so don't worry. You will have a place to stay if you choose that option. See you soon and good luck!

I just got the email. If I could get a super hot, unattached girl that'd be super. Ideally one that wears exclusively lingerie around the place. I can also settle for any other med student...I guess.

Hey
I just got my mcat score back and I got a dreadful 22. I am totally devasated about my score because I was scoring 27 and 28 on my practice tests. Anyway,I have a pretty good GPA of a 3.68 and great ECs. Does anyone think that I still have a chance at KCOM or any DO schools? Anyone with similar stats?

I heard that you have to fly into KC (I think) and then take the puddle jumper to Kirksville. Sounds like fun...

Can someone direct me to information about puddle jumpers to Kirksville? I want to get on one, but can't find it. Kirksville does not seem to be recognized as a place with an airport by any of the sites I visited. Thanks.

Can someone direct me to information about puddle jumpers to Kirksville? I want to get on one, but can't find it. Kirksville does not seem to be recognized as a place with an airport by any of the sites I visited. Thanks.

St. Louis is the only place that sends them I believe. I was told by someone in the admissions office to avoid flying into Kirksville if you can.

I'd probably heed the warning of a KCOM admissions person, but here is the info you are looking for. You can't seem to get from STL to IRK (Kirksville's airport) via Expedia or Orbitz. I guess you have to use what's listed on the IRK site.

Thanks guys!

It really is a hassle getting to Kirksville. Your normal predicted travel cost can easily double if you're under 25 or if you are not local to Kirksville. Not good.

Thanks guys!

It really is a hassle getting to Kirksville. Your normal predicted travel cost can easily double if you're under 25 or if you are not local to Kirksville. Not good.

Well, if you have certain insurance programs look into it. They can waive the fee. Sometimes you can find online codes to reduce price as well. It is usually a 25 dollar a day fee, so 50 bucks plus around a 20 dollar daily rental fee. Then gas factored in. You're probably looking around the same price as a flight, but it won't get cancelled on you.

Does anyone know where you can find out what your ACT scores were? I took the ACT almost 10 years ago and can't remember what I got. This is the first secondary I have received that asks for my ACT scores.

Thanks!

I just kind of approximated it. They don't really care that much.

Well, if you have certain insurance programs look into it. They can waive the fee. Sometimes you can find online codes to reduce price as well. It is usually a 25 dollar a day fee, so 50 bucks plus around a 20 dollar daily rental fee. Then gas factored in. You're probably looking around the same price as a flight, but it won't get cancelled on you.

You are probably right. Thank you.

Also, I noticed that unlike other car rental companies, "Dollar" seems to charge extra if you are under 24, not 25.

Anyone else out there bringing a guest? If so do they just show up with you? I think it's great that KCOM includes parents/spouses, etc.

I hope I'm not the only person doing this though!

I'm sure my dad would love to come. I don't have a significant other or spouse, so that isn't an issue. If I did, she'd def. come. In a scenario like that, it is important for the person that may move there with you to be comfortable too. In my case, I don't want anyone altering my opinion about a place whether on purpose or mistake.

did any of you send your letter via interfolio to kirksville?

I did. I am yet to approach a school that hasn't accepted interfolio.

Anyone else out there bringing a guest? If so do they just show up with you? I think it's great that KCOM includes parents/spouses, etc.

I hope I'm not the only person doing this though!

I interviewed at KCOM last year and two people brought a friend/significant other with them. It wasn't weird and it probablly helped them relax for their interviews (granted they don't go with you in your interview), but I'm sure it had a calming affect. You will notice that KCOM is very family orientated. So if you have family, they will fit in here just fine.
Good luck

I interviewed at KCOM last year and two people brought a friend/significant other with them. It wasn't weird and it probablly helped them relax for their interviews (granted they don't go with you in your interview), but I'm sure it had a calming affect. You will notice that KCOM is very family orientated. So if you have family, they will fit in here just fine.
Good luck

That's great to hear. Thanks for the info. My parents have been super supportive in this entire application process. I would love to include my dad whom offered to drive up with me.

I didn't want it to seem like I wasn't independent or anything!! On the same token I like the idea of him getting to see it all first hand......

That's great to hear. Thanks for the info. My parents have been super supportive in this entire application process. I would love to include my dad whom offered to drive up with me.

I didn't want it to seem like I wasn't independent or anything!! On the same token I like the idea of him getting to see it all first hand......

I'm a 1st year here and I really like it at KCOM, I'm a small town boy so being in K'vlle is not that big of a deal for me. So if you guys have questions of any kind feel free to pm and I'll get back to you. You'll really like it here. Goodluck on the interview.

KCOM is my first choice school. I'm really hoping to get an interview invite there soon. I applied last year with an 18 on my MCAT, and didn't get an interview. But this year I was able to raise my score to a 25, my gpa is up to 3.64, and i've got 7 more months of hospital experience under my belt for a total of 2 years.
Does my application look strong enough for admission? If so, how long after being complete did it take any of you to get an interview invite?

Good stats. Strong from that angle.

It all depends on when you were complete with the secondary. Every couple of weeks, the pre-screening committe meets and they decide who gets interviews. If they have a huge stack, they might take longer than one would expect.

I had my secondary to the school two days after I recieved the secondary invite, and it took awhile to get the interview invite.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.