ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! I was accepted today!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Kirksville (wife KCOM class 2011 and I just found out that I am KCOM class 2013!) and would be happy to answer any questions. We have had interviewees stay at our apt and it was fun! We went to dinner and she asked my wife lots of questions.

Kirksville is small rural town (population ~17K, cow population 30K ;)) which is great because it's probably 90 minutes away from any distractions! It has 2 grocery stores; Walmart supercenter (super-Walmart!) and Hyvee. A small number of bars and restaurants (I recommend Dukum Inn for bar and Il Spazio for restaurant-- great pizzas!) But it could be culture shock for those interviewees not used to deer hunters and small town living.
Oh-- if you rent a car and they ask if you want insurance from deer, GET IT!! They're not trying to swindle you I promise! It's hunting season soon and the whitetails are moving this time of year. Be careful driving at night!

As for lodging, see if a student can take you in. If not, the hotels book up fast here-- I recommend Holiday Inn Express, Days Inn or Comfort Inn. Check in La Plata or Macon hotels if Kirksville is booked (La Plata is 15 minutes south of Kirksville, Macon is 30 minutes south of Kirksville) and just plan accourdingly! Interview day starts at 8 and goes until 2-3 depending on campus tour.

You are encouraged to bring family too! My parents really liked their presentation and seeing the school. Just tell admissions a few days before interview so they can order lunch for them as well as any dietary requirements.

Oh and I think I got the open interview day that Karen12345 mentioned!! Admissions called me and said they had a cancellation and asked if I could take it. So I was like, "Heck yah!"

*For those others who have already interviewed... Who did you interview with? I wanted to see what your opinions were.
I interviewed with Dr Sargentini (PhD research in micro) and Dr Ernst (practicing DO anesthesiologist). Both went very well! Dr Ernst sat me down in a La-Z-boy recliner and said, "You sit there because you have to be relaxed in that chair!" And it set the tone for the rest of the interview. Dr Sargentini did a walking tour of the microbiology labs before going to his office.
Neither tried to trap me with any "impossible" questions or anything. And of course admissions interview was more of a formality. She asked me some questions for some survey and told me a little more about Kirksville.

Sorry for the long post! I'm just so excited about being accepted here! I can't wait to begin!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed with Dr. Dr. Rhodes (she has a DVM and a PhD). I also interviewed with Dr. Roof, an anesthesiologist. I was intimidated by Dr. Rhodes in the very beginning, but she is very friendly. Dr. Roof is also very friendly, and didn't try to grill me on anything.

Last year had a very impressive matchlist (I haven't looked at any previous years). Anyone current students care to elaborate on that.

I had Dr. Laird and Dr. Ousterhaut (spelled wrong I'm sure). Both were very conversational. I hit it off really well with Dr. Laird and I think being that he was the dean really helped my cause. The second interview seemed so-so, I felt I could have performed better but I suppose things worked out in the end.

It was a great day. The dean was very confident in KCOM and the top education provided. This gave me a really good vibe on top of everything else that I found to be so strong about the school.

Last year had a very impressive matchlist (I haven't looked at any previous years). Anyone current students care to elaborate on that.

NOT a current student but figured I'd add 2007 for you:

The 2008 list is amazing and to be honest 2007 is probably as good if not better.

3-Neurosurgery, 5-Ortho (with one at Mayo), 4- Radiology, 1-ENT :if your interested in competitive specialties.

Not to mention matching students into Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, and a few at Mayo.

Attachments

• KCOM Match List 2007.docx
    170.9 KB · Views: 392
For those interested in the acceptance rate of interviewees, this is the latest information from U.S. News 2007:

Total Admissions: 3103 applied, 474 interviewed, 386 accepted, 172 enrolled
In-state Admisssions: 184 applied, 43 interviewed, 45 accepted, 29 enrolled
Out-of-state Admissions: 2919 applied, 431 interviewed, 341 accepted, 143 enrolled

Acceptance rate = estimated 80%!!!

For those interested in the acceptance rate of interviewees, this is the latest information from U.S. News 2007:

Total Admissions: 3103 applied, 474 interviewed, 386 accepted, 172 enrolled
In-state Admisssions: 184 applied, 43 interviewed, 45 accepted, 29 enrolled
Out-of-state Admissions: 2919 applied, 431 interviewed, 341 accepted, 143 enrolled

Acceptance rate = estimated 80%!!!

Any idea where you found this data? Website address?

Wow, they must've really hated me then.

That's probably changed. I think those are the 2006 class numbers. I think last year there were closer to 4000 apps, not sure about the rest of the numbers.

I just got the call, and I am in!! First acceptance- SOO excited!!:soexcited::soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats dated. I heard it was between 65-70%.

So, they hated me a little less. ;) I'm really not bitter. I was more hurt because of the time, money, and studying for a major exam that went down the tubes to be rejected. I liked the school, but I probably wasn't really what they were looking for. As I said earlier...I don't think I was osteopathic enough and I'm no good at giving lines if I don't believe. :p

So, they hated me a little less. ;) I'm really not bitter. I was more hurt because of the time, money, and studying for a major exam that went down the tubes to be rejected. I liked the school, but I probably wasn't really what they were looking for. As I said earlier...I don't think I was osteopathic enough and I'm no good at giving lines if I don't believe. :p

Hey man thats sufficient enough for me. I NEVER gave lines at my interviews. Luckily I didn't have interviewers that were hardcore OMM or anything. Funny thing is I don't think Osteopathic med was brought up once at KCOM.

I would call the admissions office and see what they can share what they require for interviews. But I would definitely apply, and if you don't get accepted this year, you can retake the test and reapply next year.

Well I was just rejected post-secondary. It took 2 weeks from the date I submitted my secondary and was received via snail mail. I have a 3.2, 27P, lots of ECs, years of employment in a hospital, 2 years research experience, LOR from a KCOM alumnus. I'm bummed but what are you going to do? Good luck everyone!

If you're really interested in getting in, you could always reapply next year! I know that I didn't get in my first time around and so I spent my year off getting a Masters in Health Administration through ATSU. I did well in the program, which boosted my cumulative, and I worked in a doctor's office during that time. If your application isn't terribly strong this year, start finding things to make it stronger next year. Persistence is very attractive to medical schools!

I've got an interview @ KCOM on November 15th...any particular suggestions? I know the DO letter was optional, but is it a big strike against you if you don't have one (I used a letter from my supervisor at a teahouse I worked at for the "professional" letter)? My stats are good (3.63/31P, with great rec letters and ECs).

I didn't have a DO letter of rec and I got in to KCOM, so i wouldn't worry too much about it!

Hey Casey what year are you?

I interviewed today, and I feel it went well. My first interview ended pretty quickly, and the guy was really nice (and since he was basically a human qualude, I relaxed me quite a bit), but the early ending had me worried. I had a nurse interview me as well, and I had a great deal to talk to her about.
My question for those of you accepted, did you call them the following Wednesday or Thursday, or do they call you?

I interviewed today, and I feel it went well. My first interview ended pretty quickly, and the guy was really nice (and since he was basically a human qualude, I relaxed me quite a bit), but the early ending had me worried. I had a nurse interview me as well, and I had a great deal to talk to her about.
My question for those of you accepted, did you call them the following Wednesday or Thursday, or do they call you?

They usually call on WEDNESDAY. Good luck. Length of interview is in no way a reflection of how good/bad you did.

They called me the following Wednesday, and I interviewed on a Friday. I do know that it took two weeks for some people to find out, so if you don't hear from them this Wednesday don't get worried. I'm sure you did great, if they invite you for an interview you have really good chances of getting in. Good Luck.

They told me they would be calling on Thursday, but the call came on Wednesday.

I'm so excited to hear back, it's all I can think about. One of the greatest thing was how much my wife loved the school and the town. They offer so many ammenities for the students and their families that I can't even consider going anywhere else if I get accepted. Hopefully I'll be part of the class of 2013.

True that Jug! I've heard other people say that too--that KCOM, moreso than many other schools, has lots of great amenities for families.
I really hope you get accepted! Once you get your letter, tell your wife to check out SAA (Student Advocate Association-- there are other internet links but you have to be a member to access them) it has loads of members and about every special interest category you can think of! And if you have kids...you'll fit in even better! It seems like half or more of all students up here have kids or are expecting to have kids soon.

Post back once you know!

Last edited:
True that Jug! I've heard other people say that too--that KCOM, moreso than many other schools, has lots of great amenities for families.
I really hope you get accepted! Once you get your letter, tell your wife to check out SAA (Student Advocate Association-- there are other internet links but you have to be a member to access them) it has loads of members and about every special interest category you can think of! And if you have kids...you'll fit in even better! It seems like half or more of all students up here have kids or are expecting to have kids soon.

Post back once you know!

Yeah, I took her with on the interview, and they had a whole day planned for the spouses and families. One of the presentations she got was on the SAA and the wellness program.

I got an interview at KCOM on Dec. 12. Anyone else have the same day?

Im flying into lambert airprt in st louis but i dont know what to do from there:D Any ideas?

I got an interview at KCOM on Dec. 12. Anyone else have the same day?

Im flying into lambert airprt in st louis but i dont know what to do from there:D Any ideas?

The admissions staff and the student ambassador I stayed with actually suggested Kansas City (unfortunately... after I had purchased the ticket to St. Louis); apparently, rental car check in time from Kansas City is ~5 minutes (St. Louis took ~1 hour), and the drive is quicker.

Bring an audio cable for your iPod in the rental car... it's a long haul up there. PM if you have any specific questions.

For those of you accepted, what time did the call come in on Wednesday?

The admissions staff and the student ambassador I stayed with actually suggested Kansas City (unfortunately... after I had purchased the ticket to St. Louis); apparently, rental car check in time from Kansas City is ~5 minutes (St. Louis took ~1 hour), and the drive is quicker.

Bring an audio cable for your iPod in the rental car... it's a long haul up there. PM if you have any specific questions.

Kansas City I think is 2 hrs away, St Louis is just over 3. However, the highway from KC is trickier to follow (especially at night) and it becomes 1 lane for quite a while whereas the route from St Louis is 2 lanes in either direction and easier to follow- take I-70 West to Columbia (>1.5 hours), then take Hwy 63 North to Kirksville (another 1.5 hours). Either way gets you where you need to go. Frankly, if the ticket is cheaper through STL then go there.

Last edited:
Committee meets in the morning. I got my call about 2. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, and the supportive words. They told me to call on Thursday, but I hope they call me tomorrow before I have to go to work. I'm so anxious.

I got a call at 10:30 Wednesday morning. It also came a week later than I thought tho! (The second Wed after I interviewed). Good luck!!

I got a call at 10:30 Wednesday morning. It also came a week later than I thought tho! (The second Wed after I interviewed). Good luck!!

I don't know if I can handle another week of waiting to hear. I find myself in a nervous state I've never been in before, can't really focus on anything, class and work alike.

No one else is waiting anxiously with me to hear back from KCOM? I feel alone in the process.

I am waiting, too.

Congrads thoredius!

I'm pullin for you Jug!

Good luck Jug. I heard about 1:30 pm. Don't worry if you don't get the call today though, even though I know you're anxious. People who interviewed the same day as me found out a week after me and they got accepted. I guess it just depends on how many they have to go through. Good luck!

I got the call today about 4!! Congrats and good luck to all of you!

Congratulations to all who have been accepted. Question - Is KCOM your number one choice? And if so why? I thought the school was pretty solid, the faculty seemed nice, and Kirksville was cool. I'm just not sure my wife and I would want to move again after only two years to do my clinicals somewhere else. How does everyone else feel about that? Is it not that big of a deal?

Congratulations to all who have been accepted. Question - Is KCOM your number one choice? And if so why? I thought the school was pretty solid, the faculty seemed nice, and Kirksville was cool. I'm just not sure my wife and I would want to move again after only two years to do my clinicals somewhere else. How does everyone else feel about that? Is it not that big of a deal?

KCOM is a perfect fit for me. As far as my family, I will be leaving them here and going to Kirksville by myself. I may be able to come back for rotations...but that is to be seen. I moved them around enough while I was in the Navy and I know they will be OK without me for a while. I have my pilot's lic. and will be able to pop in and out; weather permitting.

Is anybody interviewing December 18th?

First and only choice for me but it was kind of a no brainer for my situation. Don't count out Northeast Regional Hospital. I think there are 10+ spots available to do clinicals in Kirksville-- something else to consider.

I am in. I was at work when they called, but kind of just snuck off to call them back. I am so excited to be a part of this school. It is my first choice, so now I can just focus on coming up with the deposit. Thanks for the support SDNers.

I recently interviewed at KCOM. I really liked the area. I was impressed with the organization of the school. I've already typed a lot about it on my blog. You can read it here. KCOM offers a lot of stuff not available at other schools.

Congrats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.