48 hours to decide!! UC Davis or USC HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IlaEm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to add another one of these threads....but I'm a bit desperate. I was just informed that I got into UC Davis off the waitlist and I have 48 hours to accept or decline the offer.

I already committed to USC and was very happy with my choice. UC Davis is WAY cheaper, but I don't think I will be as happy there.

Any thoughts????

Thanks!

IlaEm

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to add another one of these threads....but I'm a bit desperate. I was just informed that I got into UC Davis off the waitlist and I have 48 hours to accept or decline the offer.

I already committed to USC and was very happy with my choice. UC Davis is WAY cheaper, but I don't think I will be as happy there.

Any thoughts????

Thanks!

IlaEm

Debt can make it difficult to pursue the specialty you want (Peds), to start a family, to live how you want to live, or even (worst case) to walk away from all this if you can't stand it. Also the debt is a very concrete figure, while the desirability of USC is speculation.

These are both amazing options, but I say go with Davis.

BTW if you decide on davis, call USC and see if they can match their financial offer. It's a thousand to one, but it can't hurt to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably go with the cheaper option, so Davis. Davis is ranked slightly lower but not enough to make a big difference. MSAR says USC is 72K/year vs. Davis is 48K. So $288,000 vs. $192,000. Plus Sacramento must be cheaper than LA.

I interviewed at Davis but was rejected. I did not apply to USC.

Good luck with your decision!

How much you really have to pay in the end for both schools.

I would take the cheapest option in a heart beat. I have a few friends that are UC Davis and USC alum and they all think UC Davis is better.

Davis is cheaper and southern California was never appealing to me (I'm a Bay Area girl at heart).

Not being a jerk, but what decision feels right to you? In the end, you're the one that has to live with this decision. Did you already have your own personal rankings when applying/interviewing?

I think rankings in this comparison are pretty much useless. It comes down to geographic location mainly, with money being a HUGE factor. Both are great schools and you'll have awesome clinical exp. at both.

I say Davis!

...but I'm biased.

I'd probably go with the cheaper option, so Davis. Davis is ranked slightly lower but not enough to make a big difference. MSAR says USC is 72K/year vs. Davis is 48K. So $288,000 vs. $192,000. Plus Sacramento must be cheaper than LA.

I interviewed at Davis but was rejected. I did not apply to USC.

Good luck with your decision!

Your Davis # is $8k too low.
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/financialaid/pdfs/1112-coa-medicine.pdf

Keck is $75k
http://www.usc.edu/admission/fa/applying_receiving/graduates2/medical/Cost.html

Don't forget about CA budget cuts.

Last edited:
Antibodies: That's just what the 2011-2012 MSAR said. Looks like both have gone up. :(

I think that's a good point about budget cuts at UC. The tuition at Davis might increase if the state legislature can't get it together, though USC is not likely to be affected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Davis if your savings are greater than 10K per year...just throwing out an arbitrary figure. Honestly, it's up to you where you'll see yourself being "most happy" and which school will provide you with the best resources for you to pursue your career goals! The latter part does entail $ b/c a high debt load will inhibit your ability to "do things" later in life--buy a NICER house/car or invest in a practice, etc.

Davis is definitely getting more expensive... I was told that the School of Medicine gets a relatively small percentage of its funding from the State of California, and that a lot of the budget pain get's placed upon the undergraduates. Nevertheless, the cost divide between private and public schools in California is narrowing.

Its always difficult to reconsider a choice that you were so set upon. As a UCD student, I've had a fantastic experience. The faculty/administration has been really supportive and there is a lot of freedom to explore your interests. There is always space in the clinics to work on your history taking and physical exam skills. There are plenty of research opportunities available... we had a record number of applicants for summer research funding and everyone that applied was awarded in the neighborhood of $3000 dollar stipends. Sacramento (perhaps against prevailing opinion) is a pretty cool place to be a student. It's relatively cheap to live here and it has just enough distractions to stay sane. There are a ton of good bars and places to eat... It definitely sucks not being close to the ocean though... that's pretty damn hard to beat.

Good luck on your decision! PM me if you have any specific questions.

Plus, A LOT (if not all) of my classmates qualified for a UC Regents scholarship that cut like 5 grand of the total costs. I believe that it is offered every year... It's something you might want to call and ask Davis about :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your input! I decided it was impossible to decide without re-visiting UCD so I used my free southwest ticket and flew to the bay area (where my parent's live). I plan on driving to Sacramento tomorrow to explore.

In terms of money, USC offered me a $5000 scholarship and a $10,000 subsidized loan for the first year. That and I qualify for the full amount of stafford loans. But yes, the COA for USC is around $75,000. I called USC about changing my fin aid but they weren't available so I am going to try again tomorrow.

My preliminary UC Davis fin aid package (this is before they have the supplemental form, parent's info ect.) is $13,000 in scholarships/grants and govt. loans. I expect this aid to get worse when they see my parental info. But I'm going to bring in everything tomorrow so hopefully they can give me a more accurate estimate! COA for davis is around $53,000.

Overall, financially UCD is the better choice. However, my social support system is in LA. I LOVED USC and think the school has great opportunities. Plus the clinical education at county and the diverse patient population...

Ugh! I am really hoping UCD blows me away tomorrow so I feel comfortable giving up USC.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks again to those that responded!

Overall, financially UCD is the better choice. However, my social support system is in LA. I LOVED USC and think the school has great opportunities. Plus the clinical education at county and the diverse patient population...

Ugh! I am really hoping UCD blows me away tomorrow so I feel comfortable giving up USC.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks again to those that responded!
Having a good social support system is important, as is liking where you are. Both of those things are something you're in control over, though. You can make new friends within your class at either institution, and you can be happy at either institution based on your perception of them. Even if one institution seems like a better fit right now, you'll be the one to form your experiences and seize the opportunities offered at both. It's impossible to say which is the better choice.

Unless there's something about UCD that really turns you off, I'd choose it for reasons over the amount of debt you'll be in. If you do choose UCD, don't make yourself miserable by wondering "what if" about USC. That will just make you miserable, and could impact your academic performance.

And of course, regardless of which you choose, you should be proud for making it in to these two competitive programs!

choose the cheapest and post-decision cognitive dissonance should take care of the rest.

congrats!

Debt can make it difficult to pursue the specialty you want (Peds), to start a family, to live how you want to live, or even (worst case) to walk away from all this if you can't stand it. Also the debt is a very concrete figure, while the desirability of USC is speculation.

These are both amazing options, but I say go with Davis.

BTW if you decide on davis, call USC and see if they can match their financial offer. It's a thousand to one, but it can't hurt to ask.

Perrotfish is on the money, as usual. /thread

So after re-visiting Davis yesterday, I am still very torn. CytokineStorm was nice enough to meet with me and helped answer a lot of my questions (thanks CytokineStorm!!!! and your friend)....but overall....I still like USC better.

After visiting Davis, I know I'll be happier at USC. There are quite a few reasons but some of them are....

Curriculum: USC is systems based both 1st and 2nd year and has the opportunity to do medical spanish. Davis is only systems based in the second year. USC video and audio records lectures. Davis only audio. USC has an itegrated course to help with board prep...

Clinical years: Each 3rd yr clerkship at USC is only 6 weeks so they are able to add in a surgery specialty. Davis clerkships are 8 weeks each. Both schools have the same amount of elective time.

But is that worth a ~$100,000 (if you include interest payments) difference? Oy vey!

Overall, after examining (almost) everything about each school, the only things I like about Davis over USC are

1. the cost
2. No commute. I could bike ride to campus or walk. That would be nice!

I know Davis is a great school. And I am sure I would meet wonderful people and be able to build up a support system there. Ultimately, I don't think I will be unhappy at Davis, I will just be happier at USC.

I spoke to USC financial aid, and they do not match financial aid packages. However, it appears I'll be eligible to apply for a $16,000-$20,000 scholarship for my second year. There is no guarantee I would get it (although they said it wasnt very competitive), but if I do, I would get it my 2nd, 3rd and 4th years.

Davis also took away $9000 from that $13000 scholarship so they are only offering me $4000.

3 hours left to make my decision. Crap!

And thanks to all who have given advice! Keep it coming :)

Reactions: 1 user
After reading your reasons, I still think you should pick Davis. Happiness is a good reason to pick a more expensive school. However, happiness is more influenced by things like proximity to family or a significant other, or perhaps ability to participate in an activity only found near that school (surfing, sailing, sports club etc...).

I wouldn't pick a school based on curriculum. You may find that you don't even like a systems based approach, and you won't figure it out until you try it. Even if you do like a systems based approach, Davis will provide that for you during your second year.

Ultimately, if you choose USC you will be at least $100,000 more in debt. That will impact your happiness for about a decade (?) after you finish medical school, maybe more. I would go to places a lot worse than sacramento to avoid that kind of debt.

I think very few people would pick USC over any UC school.

After reading your reasons, I still think you should pick Davis. Happiness is a good reason to pick a more expensive school. However, happiness is more influenced by things like proximity to family or a significant other, or perhaps ability to participate in an activity only found near that school (surfing, sailing, sports club etc...).

I wouldn't pick a school based on curriculum. You may find that you don't even like a systems based approach, and you won't figure it out until you try it. Even if you do like a systems based approach, Davis will provide that for you during your second year.

Ultimately, if you choose USC you will be at least $100,000 more in debt. That will impact your happiness for about a decade (?) after you finish medical school, maybe more. I would go to places a lot worse than sacramento to avoid that kind of debt.

I think very few people would pick USC over any UC school.

I guess I should point out that my very serious significant other is in LA as well as a large community of supportive friends.....(one of the reasons I prefer LA over sacramento...not too mention weather, proximty to the ocean...)

But you do make very valid points. Does your opinion change knowing my support system is in LA?

go to usc.

if money's that huge of an issue, find a scholarship/fellowship/etc for the upcoming years. in the long run, $100K isn't really **that** huge of a deal.

this is definitely the prime of your life. you should do whatever you can to enjoy it as much as possible before you start this crazy all-consuming (yet truly wonderful) career we're all about to start.

good luck!!

I guess I should point out that my very serious significant other is in LA as well as a large community of supportive friends.....(one of the reasons I prefer LA over sacramento...not too mention weather, proximty to the ocean...)

But you do make very valid points. Does your opinion change knowing my support system is in LA?
It does change my opinion some. However, you have to decide how important proximity to your support system is when considering your options.

Also, $100,000 IS that huge of a deal, and in fact, it will be much more than that after you add all of the interest you will pay on it. I wouldn't just ignore the money issue. It would be short sighted, and perhaps sacrificing future happiness for a little more in the short term.

For what it's worth, I'm actively trying to get away from my friends in my hometown. The only real way they will understand my not being able to hang out with them is through geographic isolation.

So I guess that's a vote for Davis?

Reactions: 1 user

If your support system is in LA you should go to USC. Loans happen and you shouldn't change what you think will make you happy for 4 years over that. I agree with others in that curriculum shouldn't matter - you won't like med school curriculum no matter where you are. There are always issues and lots of self directed learning.

I would keep in mind that the vast majority of relationships that enter med school end in the first year, almost all end by the end of med school (even marriages). If your significant other (and mutual friends that will not side with you after a breakup) is your SOLE support in LA. You may want to rethink.

You could probably also call USC and Davis and tell them you are torn and ask them to give you to Monday to decide.

go to usc.

if money's that huge of an issue, find a scholarship/fellowship/etc for the upcoming years. in the long run, $100K isn't really **that** huge of a deal.

this is definitely the prime of your life. you should do whatever you can to enjoy it as much as possible before you start this crazy all-consuming (yet truly wonderful) career we're all about to start.

good luck!!

I would disagree with that; I believe 100K is a big deal. You'll make new friends, and you aren't reallly THAT far apart from your social support group. Unless you must "SEE" them in person to get your emotional release, I'd say 100K less debt is important.

For what it's worth, I'm actively trying to get away from my friends in my hometown. The only real way they will understand my not being able to hang out with them is through geographic isolation.

So I guess that's a vote for Davis?

+1

I want to also point out that USC has 100% pass rate for Step 1, Davis isn't even close.
USC's Step 1 average is like 10 points above the national average.

But really, just go where your SO is. Money can't buy you happiness :p

I want to also point out that USC has 100% pass rate for Step 1, Davis isn't even close.
USC's Step 1 average is like 10 points above the national average.

? I'm curious where that 100% came from. I'd be really surprised if they managed to have no fails over multiple years. Most schools have a 1-5% fail rate.

It comes from official USC releases.

Here are two:
http://theweekly.usc.edu/detail.php?recordnum=15986
http://theweekly.usc.edu/detail.php?recordnum=17077

I am not wasting my time searching for more since people on SDN are always negative anyway.

Thanks - wasn't trying to be negative. Just realistic. It is impressive that in 2008 no one failed. I doubt it has spanned multiple years and the article doesn't say it does.

Anyway, my point is its probably not something the OP should focus on when they are selecting their school for the next 4 years.

How significant is the significant other? Have you been dating for weeks, months, or years? Are you close to getting married?

go to usc.

good luck!!

LOL wut?

OP, it's been over 48 hours. Which did you decide?

in the long run, $100K isn't really **that** huge of a deal.

isn´t it a little terrifying how people with so little experience in the real world (no offense intended, gocard) are readily able to take on massive, massive loans?

Status
Not open for further replies.