2023-2024 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! When did you get the invite? And what are your stats, if you don't mind?
I received the invite early last week.

I'm a non-traditional and new to SDN so here's my first attempt at explaining my "stats":
Undergrad degree: Health Sciences 3.6 GPA
Graduate degree: MBA 3.6 GPA
DIY Post-Bacc: (Had to get all those missing pre-reqs!) 3.88 GPA
Work Experience: A decade in Aviation, 5 years in progressively demanding leadership roles
Volunteer Experience: 1000+ hours
Healthcare Experience: 2000+ hours
Health-related Experience: approx 1200 hours
EC's: Board of Director member at my previous employer's large charity fund; Pre-Med Club President; Secretary for Phi Theta Kappa; private pilot
MCAT: 496
Recommendation Letters: 3 Letters from Science Professors, 1 Committee Letter that encompassed 5 MD Recommendations from my volunteer work with hospice and dementia patients, 1 DO recommendation letter

Let me know if I missed anything :)

Reactions: 2 users
I received the invite early last week.

I'm a non-traditional and new to SDN so here's my first attempt at explaining my "stats":
Undergrad degree: Health Sciences 3.6 GPA
Graduate degree: MBA 3.6 GPA
DIY Post-Bacc: (Had to get all those missing pre-reqs!) 3.88 GPA
Work Experience: A decade in Aviation, 5 years in progressively demanding leadership roles
Volunteer Experience: 1000+ hours
Healthcare Experience: 2000+ hours
Health-related Experience: approx 1200 hours
EC's: Board of Director member at my previous employer's large charity fund; Pre-Med Club President; Secretary for Phi Theta Kappa; private pilot
MCAT: 496
Recommendation Letters: 3 Letters from Science Professors, 1 Committee Letter that encompassed 5 MD Recommendations from my volunteer work with hospice and dementia patients, 1 DO recommendation letter

Let me know if I missed anything :)
That was way more than I expected lol. But from one non-trad to another, YOU GOT THIS! Wishing you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this is answered before but, Is there a GroupMe for accepted students?

Hey all, so I have been complete since early august but haven't heard anything yet. Should I contact them to see the status of my app or do you recommend just waiting it out?

Does anyone know how strong VCOM's regional preference is? Wondering if that has to do with some of the silence from them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how strong VCOM's regional preference is? Wondering if that has to do with some of the silence from them...
I kinda wonder too, though we did get secondaries from them.

They apparently do screen them with some carefulness, so not all candidates snag them.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I was waitlisted 11/1 which is so early in the interview season 😟. Has anybody else been waitlisted?

Hello,
So, I toured VCOM-Carolinas on Friday and I am sending them a letter of intent. I have a rough draft of it. Is anyone very familiar with this school and would like to proofread it? Thanks!

Hello,
So, I toured VCOM-Carolinas on Friday and I am sending them a letter of intent. I have a rough draft of it. Is anyone very familiar with this school and would like to proofread it? Thanks!
I was accepted to the VCOM-Carolinas campus. I'd be happy to proofread your letter.

Hello,
Hi! Have you interviewed at VCOM yet? Is a letter of intent something that is usually sent to schools before or after interviews? Thanks!

Can any current students comment on this? When does the class typically fill up and when does the waitlist start to get longer? Are a lot of students accepted from the waitlist? How many people get waitlisted?

Does this school send rejections? It’s been crickets for a very long time

Reactions: 4 users
All I know for sure is there will be 100 waitlist spots on a tier system. From past forums, they start increasing the waitlist around late February early March. I got WL in November which seems very early for that to happen. I hope it's not a soft rejection with me at the lowest tier.

Accepted on 1/26! Interviewed on 1/19! :)

can any current students PM me? I have some questions about attending VCOM!!

Anyone know what days admissions committee meet or what days or time they send out acceptances? I interviewed last Friday and they said 2 weeks but “could be sooner.” Just trying to figure out when to expect something so I’m not anxiously waiting all week next week lol. And whether they call everyone with a decision or just acceptances? She didn’t make that clear at interview day

Anyone know what days admissions committee meet or what days or time they send out acceptances? I interviewed last Friday and they said 2 weeks but “could be sooner.” Just trying to figure out when to expect something so I’m not anxiously waiting all week next week lol. And whether they call everyone with a decision or just acceptances? She didn’t make that clear at interview day
I interviewed on a Friday and they called me roughly 12 days later. So their projected times are fairly accurate.

Anyone that interviewed in the past 2 weeks hear back yet? I interviewed 2/2 and they said it would be 2 weeks. Still have not heard anything yet

Anyone knows what happens if the background check can't verify employment?

Received a call this morning but they didn’t leave a voicemail. I tried to call back but no one answered. 😭 is this a bad sign? I haven’t heard anything from them since I applied in October

Received a call this morning but they didn’t leave a voicemail. I tried to call back but no one answered. 😭 is this a bad sign? I haven’t heard anything from them since I applied in October
I had that happened this previous fall. They were calling me to setup an interview. Best thing to do is send an email to admissions (Emily Brashier or Mary Kathryn Ward) to initiate communication.

I've had the same issue with them. I'll miss a call bc I'm at work and if I call them even 10 minutes later they won't answer

I had that happened this previous fall. They were calling me to setup an interview. Best thing to do is send an email to admissions (Emily Brashier or Mary Kathryn Ward) to initiate communication.
Do they reach
you by email too?? Or just the cal

Do they reach you by email too?? Or just the cal
Not really. They tried calling me multiple times, but always while I was at work. I had to reach out to them by email. The good news is that they do respond to emails within a couple of business days.

[mention]MSSOM [/mention] [mention]The REAL Doc McStuffins [/mention] [mention]juliealbright [/mention]

You can just call back and leave a voicemail!! They also left me a voicemail with Mary Kathryn’s phone number, which you can text! She is totally fine with, and encouraged me, to text that number. Hope that helps!

[mention]MSSOM [/mention] [mention]The REAL Doc McStuffins [/mention] [mention]juliealbright [/mention]

You can just call back and leave a voicemail!! They also left me a voicemail with Mary Kathryn’s phone number, which you can text! She is totally fine with, and encouraged me, to text that number. Hope that helps!
Ok just tried again. Thanks!

Still haven't heard back but got an email from vcom today with the subject line: Need to improve your stats for med school? 😂