2023-2024 Orlando College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One concern is this school intends to do Self Directed Learning. As per the OCOM site,

Like many modern medical school curricula, OCOM will not have mandatory in-person lectures. Watching a lecture is a form of passive learning. Evidence exists which tells us that virtual attendance at these types of sessions (content delivery sessions) actually portends better learning outcomes than in-person attendance since the student can control the speed of the lecture, go back to review something that was missed or challenging, etc. Therefore, OCOM’s curriculum will consist of self-directed learning sessions which are pre-recorded “lecture-like” sessions assigned to watch as part of the self-directed learning experience. Students will be able to watch these on their own time. Then, while in on campus sessions, students will be challenged by faculty to apply what they have learned on their own.

Are students paying upwards of 60K + to self learn? I feel this is a Medical school, not some Arts or History school. Not sure how students will learn Anatomy. Maybe I am mistaken.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently did a call with them and that was something that was mentioned I was about to post. Private loan interest rates are sky high. When asked about the stats from the admissions person I am currently asked they said that the MCAT was a hard 500. There is no wiggle. Also, they basically have "lectureless" learning so make sure your are someone who can stay on task and manage a course load with basically self teaching.
self teaching Anatomy?

One concern is this school intends to do Self Directed Learning. As per the OCOM site,

Like many modern medical school curricula, OCOM will not have mandatory in-person lectures. Watching a lecture is a form of passive learning. Evidence exists which tells us that virtual attendance at these types of sessions (content delivery sessions) actually portends better learning outcomes than in-person attendance since the student can control the speed of the lecture, go back to review something that was missed or challenging, etc. Therefore, OCOM’s curriculum will consist of self-directed learning sessions which are pre-recorded “lecture-like” sessions assigned to watch as part of the self-directed learning experience. Students will be able to watch these on their own time. Then, while in on campus sessions, students will be challenged by faculty to apply what they have learned on their own.

Are students paying upwards of 60K + to self learn? I feel this is a Medical school, not some Arts or History school. Not sure how students will learn Anatomy. Maybe I am mistaken.
KansasCOM tried this and it didn’t work. OCOM is not going to have a good time and I bet those first year students are going to hate their lives.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Wanted to pop in here and see if anyone planning on attending OCOM was looking for a cool housing option directly across the street from OCOM, or even if you had any questions about the area happy to answer. I have a brand new detached above garage apartment that is available. It is a 1br/1bath with a lot of upgrades. Includes all brand new appliances and washer/dryer in unit. I work in healthcare as an NP in the area and own/manage the property.

We would love a longer term lease and a reliable tenant. I'd do a discount for a longer lease term. It is very private and quiet community, average home prices in the community are around $650-700k. The garage apartment is super quiet, its like its own stand alone little house. I put a 12x18 private driveway on the side for easy access. You can walk or bike to OCOM easily.

I've watched the school go from dirt to finished product and it is pretty remarkable. The facility and building is stunning and the general area is one of the best in Florida and fastest growing areas nationwide. Very safe and affluent and lots to do. Downtown winter garden is really nice. About 1 hour from beaches (daytona, new smyrna), 1-2 hours from tampa depending on traffic, 3.5 hr to miami. New brightline train to/from south florida is pretty sweet. It is also a few minutes from disney but not on the touristy side. It is located in the center of horizon west in the hamlin town center. Close to highways, shops, food, breweries. You can see disney fireworks every single night from the school and most places in horizon west at 845-9pm . My number is 570-881-4011 or you can reply here with any questions or inquiries as I am very familiar with the area. Good luck to all and feel free to reach out. Here is the album with photos. Hamlin Garage Apartment

was wondering how interview was/ how yall prepped!!
everyone was super friendly! you speak to a faculty member and a member of the admissions team and they ask you why DO, why OCOM, and other typical interview questions. i would prep those answers and also look over the OCOM website to learn more about the school. good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
KansasCOM tried this and it didn’t work. OCOM is not going to have a good time and I bet those first year students are going to hate their lives.
Agree 100%, it will not work. OCOM seems to cut corners here, cheaper to just provide some content delivery app rather than hire faculty to deliver in person lectures.

everyone was super friendly! you speak to a faculty member and a member of the admissions team and they ask you why DO, why OCOM, and other typical interview questions. i would prep those answers and also look over the OCOM website to learn more about the school. good luck!
i appreciate you so much! was the interview open file or closed file? i can't find any info about that