2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am having an existential crisis due to this full ride situation lol.

1-3. UTSW, Baylor, UTMB..... in some order. Gonna be honest I will probably be miserable in Galveston but not having a huge debt load would be a big relief, especially since I would like to start a family during med school, and I do have significant undergrad debt that's not paid off yet. Also, not gonna lie if a school REALLY wants me there I feel good about the support they would be able to provide for me.
4. Dell
5. Foster
6. Long
I am concerned about being miserable and not sure why you would be.. Will you not have your partner with you if you go to UTMB?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am concerned about being miserable and not sure why you would be.. Will you not have your partner with you if you go to UTMB?
No, we’ll be long distance for ~2 years probably.

Dance is one of my biggest hobbies/stress relief/I’m a semipro, and there are limited opportunities on the island/south of Houston. I could drive into Houston every so often but that’s still a sizable commute. Dance classes are my equivalent of the “going to the gym every day is a non-negotiable”, so being somewhere without access to decent studios is going to be frustrating.

I get it, medicine comes first. But I’m a person with a life outside of med school and want to honor that too :)

Reactions: 1 users

Dance is one of my biggest hobbies/stress relief/I’m a semipro, and there are limited opportunities on the island/south of Houston. I could drive into Houston every so often but that’s still a sizable commute. Dance classes are my equivalent of the “going to the gym every day is a non-negotiable”, so being somewhere without access to decent studios is going to be frustrating.

I get it, medicine comes first. But I’m a person with a life outside of med school and want to honor that too :)
Would your partner be with you if you were in Dallas or Houston?

Not sure which classes are only available closer to downtown but Houston suburbs cater to most types of activities. Clear Lake is about 25 miles.

In theory you probably have time for activities only during classes, i.e, first 18 months. Some of the rotations are so bad (IM, Surgery etc) that people just want to crash on their one day off each week because that is the first time they are put to 14 hour or longer work days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor because I’d like the independence from family, it has the TMC, and I like the atmosphere during the tour.
UTSW because it’s in my home town, awesome food, and close to home.
McGovern because of the laid back culture that I felt and because of the TMC
Long because of the friendly atmosphere of the admin and I think they’re sweet hearts.
Still looking at that free school though. :)

• Love
Still looking at that free school though. :)
Me looking at Kaiser:
1676348331984.gif

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
How is your rank list going @MCAThiccy @randompremed457 @chicandtoughness @skeptastic

same question to anyone who wants to discuss!
1- UTSW: vibes were awesome, MS0 weekend was fun. Have my closest family in Dallas (for now). Top tier program, lots of research opportunities. I’m also interested in medical devices (despite my lack of an engineering background) and I feel like this school will give me ample opportunities to explore that interest. Also I live in Dallas so it will be really cheap to move lol.

2- UTMB: That phone call just moved them up the list. I love the energy at this school, when schools talk about a collaborative environment most of the time it seems like fluff. Having visited with the students here and spent some time at the school during college, I can honestly say how collaborative and chill everyone is. Some of the sweetest people I’ve met were at this school.

3- Baylor: Best reputation in texas, Houston is my hometown and I absolutely love the city. But didn’t really click with the students at the open house as much as I did at UTSW. Also being the first group to test out their 1 year curriculum scares me. Not really that concerned about Temple since I’d be fine going there but overall the vibes weren’t as strong as the other schools.

4 - TTU El Paso: I liked this school a lot actually. Out of every school on the list it seemed like they cared the most about their students.

5 - McGovern: Have friends that go here and love it, but didn’t get the best vibes at the interview. also not pass fail which sucks.

As you can see vibes are super important to me as vague as that seems. I want to make sure I enjoy my experience in medical school even while I’m drowning in books.

Had some friends who went to more remote universities with similar dance backgrounds. Although it’s not the same as classes, they were able to get around this by finding experienced dancers in their classes. They essentially started an org where they’d do choreography each week and teach each other.

Definitely not the same access as you’d get in Houston but I’ve found there’s a lot of people who dance at a high level at most med schools. Something to keep in mind as a workaround.

Long distance sucks terribly though, don’t have a workaround for that except for taking out some loan money for flights.

• Care
1- UTSW: vibes were awesome, MS0 weekend was fun. Have my closest family in Dallas (for now). Top tier program, lots of research opportunities. I’m also interested in medical devices (despite my lack of an engineering background) and I feel like this school will give me ample opportunities to explore that interest. Also I live in Dallas so it will be really cheap to move lol.

2- UTMB: That phone call just moved them up the list. I love the energy at this school, when schools talk about a collaborative environment most of the time it seems like fluff. Having visited with the students here and spent some time at the school during college, I can honestly say how collaborative and chill everyone is. Some of the sweetest people I’ve met were at this school.

3- Baylor: Best reputation in texas, Houston is my hometown and I absolutely love the city. But didn’t really click with the students at the open house as much as I did at UTSW. Also being the first group to test out their 1 year curriculum scares me. Not really that concerned about Temple since I’d be fine going there but overall the vibes weren’t as strong as the other schools.

4 - TTU El Paso: I liked this school a lot actually. Out of every school on the list it seemed like they cared the most about their students.

5 - McGovern: Have friends that go here and love it, but didn’t get the best vibes at the interview. also not pass fail which sucks.

As you can see vibes are super important to me as vague as that seems. I want to make sure I enjoy my experience in medical school even while I’m drowning in books.
Sounds like you are all set since you are admitted to UTSW. Which prematches are you giving up?

First two openings at these two schools we know of!

@MCAThiccy is giving up A&M (also Lubbock and TCOM?). He keeps UTMB as the admitted school and match can bump him up to any of the 4 schools listed ahead of UTMB.
Yes, actually. I need to inform TCOM that I will not be attending. I'll do that in a few minutes. I was not prematched to Lubbock.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be that person but is there a way we could move ranking and withdrawal talk into the Republic of Texas thread? I just think some folks might be interested in this discussion who aren't following the UTMB thread :) esp if they're interested in schools where we're giving up prematches!

• Love
I hate to be that person but is there a way we could move ranking and withdrawal talk into the Republic of Texas thread? I just think some folks might be interested in this discussion who aren't following the UTMB thread :) esp if they're interested in schools where we're giving up prematches!
Good idea

• Love
Nope! Most likely will attend UTMB if my matches fall through. Not that bad though. The MS4 said that she felt prepared for residency interviews and had 18 interviews. The clinical experiences (mandatory volunteering) is only 20 hours every 6 weeks which doesn't seem bad. I just hope we can select where we want to volunteer. I'm more focused on education and children. May consider Pediatrics or Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology.

Nope! Most likely will attend UTMB if my matches fall through. Not that bad though. The MS4 said that she felt prepared for residency interviews and had 18 interviews. The clinical experiences (mandatory volunteering) is only 20 hours every 6 weeks which doesn't seem bad. I just hope we can select where we want to volunteer. I'm more focused on education and children. May consider Pediatrics or Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology.
I am sure UTMB will be great and anywhere else you get in will be great. Just wondering @notAdoc_yet's comment saying you are dropping UTMB also and I was wondering if you have a prematch already that makes UTMB fallout right away.

• Hmm
Yes and it made me have another existential crisis about my ranks. Mission accomplished.
I tried to ignore it, but the part about scholarships made me revisit their institutional scholarship page and wow do they have a lot of money to offer students after the match!! It's hard to weight that sort of thing, as no one knows if they'll receive any of that aid at all, but the list is incredibly long, and almost everyone fits the criteria of many of the offerings. The fact that they have it all laid out like that is inviting, whereas other schools mention nothing about school-provided aid. It's starting to sway me, and I really am trying not to let it lol. Speaking with upper-classmen and grads from UTMB, they all say they definitely were on the receiving end of that aid, and all their classmates were as well. It isn't there for no reason!

I tried to ignore it, but the part about scholarships made me revisit their institutional scholarship page and wow do they have a lot of money to offer students after the match!! It's hard to weight that sort of thing, as no one knows if they'll receive any of that aid at all, but the list is incredibly long, and almost everyone fits the criteria of many of the offerings. The fact that they have it all laid out like that is inviting, whereas other schools mention nothing about school-provided aid. It's starting to sway me, and I really am trying not to let it lol. Speaking with upper-classmen and grads from UTMB, they all say they definitely were on the receiving end of that aid, and all their classmates were as well. It isn't there for no reason!
From what I heard with a 3rd year student as my source, most students get 3.5k scholarship per year. I am sure they have other scholarships to support things like global programs.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else get the "Before You Rank" email about 15 minutes ago
Did everyone who interviewed get one of these or just people they are actively recruiting? The last sentence made it seem like it was just to people who already pre-matched or would 100% get accepted during the match.

• Care
Did everyone who interviewed get one of these or just people they are actively recruiting? The last sentence made it seem like it was just to people who already pre-matched or would 100% get accepted during the match.
Got one too as prematch. Now is just a waiting game

• Care
I got the email but did not prematch 🙃. I wonder if they just sent it to everyone who interviewed.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
My husband pre-matched to UTMB and ranked it as his 1st choice, so he was wondering if there is a group chat he could join for students going to UTMB?

My husband pre-matched to UTMB and ranked it as his 1st choice, so he was wondering if there is a group chat he could join for students going to UTMB?
There have been a bunch of messages asking about a group message so I don't think there is one yet. I bet we get one after match day and the class is a little more sorted out. I ranked UTMB 1 also, so excited to get started here!

There have been a bunch of messages asking about a group message so I don't think there is one yet. I bet we get one after match day and the class is a little more sorted out. I ranked UTMB 1 also, so excited to get started here!
You're probably right, thank you! I ranked UTMB #1 also to hopefully attend with my husband. If all goes well on Match Day I'll be excited to meet everyone and be classmates :giggle:

Theres a facebook group for admitted students You just have to look up UTMB admitted students fall 2023 or something like that :)

• Hmm
Theres a facebook group for admitted students You just have to look up UTMB admitted students fall 2023 or something like that :)
I saw that but was hesitant to join because it is not the official school one. It was made by a guy named mcatbros who I have heard is sketchy. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

MCATBros is very sketchy. He has a history of being mean to minorities. For instance, he PM'ed me on Reddit several years ago and said that I'll never get admitted due to my 512. :(
isn’t MCATBros like a tutoring company?

MCATBros is very sketchy. He has a history of being mean to minorities. For instance, he PM'ed me on Reddit several years ago and said that I'll never get admitted due to my 512. :(
didnt notice it was run by them and I also haven't joined but was trying to pass on the info! Thanks for sharing that !:). I also found a UTMB housing and roommate forum on facebook that seems legit if anyone is Interested in finding living before match

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
He must have been right. I dont think you have one until you can get into Kaiser. :)

Everyone goes to beach schools like UTMB and Santa Barbara. Very few go to free schools.

• Love
Hey all -
The last few posts above point out a truth about our times: Please be cautious about joining groups or giving your contact information to a site or spot that seems dubious.
In all, I recommend joining an official admitted students group which usually gets set up shortly after Match Day. After y'all get to know each other at school, you can set up your own group chats if you like.

"Let's be careful out there" (super clips compendium from Hill Street Blues)

wysdoc

Reactions: 9 users
Can someone please explain what happens on Match day, especially with those who have interviewed but haven't received any prematch admission/rejection ?

Can someone please explain what happens on Match day, especially with those who have interviewed but haven't received any prematch admission/rejection ?
Basically you rank the schools that you have interviewed and submit it to TMDSAS (this shouldve been done 2/17) then the schools that you have interviewed at will rank you as well and you will either match, be placed on a waitlist or rejected

Basically you rank the schools that you have interviewed and submit it to TMDSAS (this shouldve been done 2/17) then the schools that you have interviewed at will rank you as well and you will either match, be placed on a waitlist or rejected
Does this also apply to oos applicants ? I never received any email to rank schools.

Thanks. Almost got a heart attack. So is it possible for OOS to get admission/rejection email on match day ?
Yes, or on any other day until school orientation begins. I realize being told that all you can do is wait some more doesn’t help with your nerves

For folks planning on UTMB this fall, where are you planning on living? I'm not too keen on the island itself and was thinking about living somewhere between Houston and Galveston (e.g. League City, where my sister also lives so that's a plus) so that I can get to school AND be able to visit friends/participate in HTX city life, but I'm wondering if this is a "jack of all trades master of none" situation where the drive in either direction is going to make me want to shoot myself.