2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm wearing the black top btw
I think of UTMB as baywatch medical school. They are in bathing suits but ready with lifesaving rescue gear.

Sadly, none of these people fit the profile. :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Sooooooo. About those scholarships and end of January.....

Reactions: 4 users
Sooooooo. About those scholarships and end of January.....
Gotta wait until 5pm CST to know for sure. If not, I guess we need to wait until tomorrow even though the email definitely stated 1/30 (I checked like 30 times today lol)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta wait until 5pm CST to know for sure. If not, I guess we need to wait until tomorrow even though the email definitely stated 1/30 (I checked like 30 times today lol)

Joke’s on all of us. There will be no scholarships this year. Jk

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I am not saying you will not receive a scholarship - you will definitely receive one to defray your OOS surcharge so you get to pay instate. It needs to be a minimum of 1k so the 10k surcharge goes away. Any additional amount is kind of bonus money since you are already getting a 11k scholarship.

The end of the month deadline matters to IS because they have to choose a school by February 17th if they have multiple admissions. OOS students do not have this deadline and can wait until May 1st to choose a school.

I assume it will be easier for the school to announce all scholarships at once.
sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by the 1k scholarship defraying the 10k cost and turning into an 11k scholarship?

sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by the 1k scholarship defraying the 10k cost and turning into an 11k scholarship?
Texas law states that if a public institution gives a student >1k in scholarships, they are automatically considered in state for tuition purposes. Meaning any OOS student who receives 1k, technically gets 10k off

Texas law states that if a public institution gives a student >1k in scholarships, they are automatically considered in state for tuition purposes. Meaning any OOS student who receives 1k, technically gets 10k off
oh awesome thank you !!

Scholarship committee right now:
1675117866039.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I guess it's possible some people did get scholarships and they just didn't post or don't use SDN...

Members don't see this ad :)
I still think the scholarship date is self imposed and hence changeable.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I’m high school again, waiting for my crush to text back 🤧🤧

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Did you get a scholarship from either of your other 2 Texas schools?
I did at TAMU, waiting on El Paso but they hinted it might come mid-Feb via email, and haven’t been accepted to Lubbock yet.

I did at TAMU, waiting on El Paso but they hinted it might come mid-Feb via email, and haven’t been accepted to Lubbock yet.
This is the reason I think UTMB is being disadvantaged with OOS admittees when they dont give some students the 1k, knowing another school can get them simply by offering it.

El Paso does not need to make you decide during the match since OOS has no deadline to choose until late April.

This is the reason I think UTMB is being disadvantaged with OOS admittees when they dont give some students the 1k, knowing another school can get them simply by offering it.

El Paso does not need to make you decide during the match since OOS has no deadline to choose until late April.
Totally agree! They have very deep pockets so they could, but they choose not to.

Would it be fraud or some other crime to charge OOS students $1k above in-state tuition and just give them it back as a $1k scholarship to lower the bill overall?

Would it be fraud or some other crime to charge OOS students $1k above in-state tuition and just give them it back as a $1k scholarship to lower the bill overall?
Tuition at most public schools is predetermined by the Board of Regents or some other governing body. Those folks don’t care enough about us plebs as long as the entire class keeps getting filled. Plus, it’s more money to fund the school from the students so let effort to fundraise from donors or ask the state/federal government for taxpayer money. From the board’s perspective, it makes no sense to offer the same price to both in state and out of state.

Also, low tuition keeps Texans in Texas to then serve as physicians for other Texans.

Assuming recruitment scholarships weren’t sent out, I wonder if they will let us know when the new date they expect to send them out by is.

That additional 10k is being covered from some other Govt scholarship/discretionary funding so it is not just a question of finding that 1k. Most schools in Texas do this for graduate students in all departments.

Yeah I've let go of the scholarship factor. If UTMB comes through, great. Otherwise, gotta rank these schools assuming they will all cost the same, which actually makes it easier (or does it?). Some money would be nice, though. We're just too close to 2/17 to be refreshing emails like maniacs lol.

On another note, am I the only one who says to himself, "Okay, this school is an absolute LOCK at this position," only to rearrange the rank list like three more times over the next few hours, before closing all my stupid Google research tabs and realizing I am no closer to a finalized rank list than when I started working on it 1,000 weeks ago!? :1geek:

Losing My Mind GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I've let go of the scholarship factor. If UTMB comes through, great. Otherwise, gotta rank these schools assuming they will all cost the same, which actually makes it easier (or does it?). Some money would be nice, though. We're just too close to 2/17 to be refreshing emails like maniacs lol.

On another note, am I the only one who says to himself, "Okay, this school is an absolute LOCK at this position," only to rearrange the rank list like three more times over the next few hours, before closing all my stupid Google research tabs and realizing I am no closer to a finalized rank list than when I started working on it 1,000 weeks ago!? :1geek:

Losing My Mind GIF
Just to be clear, UTMB is at a higher tuition than other schools. Overall COA may be similar since people claim rents are cheaper.

Just to be clear, UTMB is at a higher tuition than other schools. Overall COA may be similar since people claim rents are cheaper.
They sure are. Rent is cheaper, but what you get for that cheaper rent is pretty shocking. Hit up realtor dot com and have a look around lol. Once you find some nice digs in Galveston, it feels like rent is pretty much the same as everywhere else.

Just got an email about recruitment scholarships!

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone else gotten one? Wondering if they're sending in batches or all at once...

• Hmm
Never mind. Just got an offer for full tuition and I'm kind of in a state of shock and disbelief. I don't think my mind has had time to process this yet.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users