2022-2023 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received secondary OOS Verified 6/1

Members don't see this ad.

I received the secondary request yesterday. 3.92/518; Canadian applicant (lol) - mostly research-focused primary, but I have meaningful community service experiences and I tried to convey my interest in community + global health.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already submitted and answered no because I assumed they meant in previous cycles. Should I email the admissions office to let them know? I don't want this to disqualify my app or anything
I would! admissions is really nice :)

Have any MSTP applicants received a secondary? I don't think I saw anyone but wanted to check...

Reactions: 1 user
For the question asking about time between graduation and matriculation, if I graduate this fall and hope to matriculate next fall, I should talk about what I'm doing in my semester off, correct?

How are people who haven't had COVID barriers answering the COVID question? I was fortunate to not be affected by COVID in any way, but the prompt doesn't seem to be optional. It's also phrased in such a way that they want you to talk about barriers.

For anyone who has completed the supp. application and hasn't taken or signed up for the PREVIEW, does it still show your application is complete? And like do you need to take it in order to get an II?

Update: I was looking on their webpage and it says its required for it to be completed before September 30, so I assume it is required to get an interview. Not 100% tho. :/

Haha, also debating this - glad we're on the same boat! When did you submit your secondary? My current thought is waiting 48 hours before contacting admissions.
Sorry I missed your reply. I submitted mine on 7/9/2022 and it's still marked as incomplete on my secondary portal. The school sent me a reminder today at 1am that they still have not received my rec letters. Did you call/email them about this issue?

How are people who haven't had COVID barriers answering the COVID question? I was fortunate to not be affected by COVID in any way, but the prompt doesn't seem to be optional. It's also phrased in such a way that they want you to talk about barriers.
Did a new opportunity arise that would not otherwise have due to the COVID pandemic? I don't think it has to be an incredible crazy thing, just something simple, yet meaningful to you...and how you approach writing it can show this. For example, like giving one an opportunity to be at home and bond with xyz, learning how to cook mom's favorite ethic cuisine...And with respect to the barrier, none here either so I just spoke to recognizing that others had them.

Do you have to send in transcipts again?? Under the status tab there's an option for transcripts and with like a received and status column. Do we have to send transcripts to them to be complete? I thought that was if only if you plan to enroll?

The reason I ask is because in the email I got about not being fully complete, one of the options is "official transcripts".

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to send in transcipts again?? Under the status tab there's an option for transcripts and with like a received and status column. Do we have to send transcripts to them to be complete? I thought that was if only if you plan to enroll?

The reason I ask is because in the email I got about not being fully complete, one of the options is "official transcripts".
No you don't.

I am struggling so hard to decide if I want to apply to the Global Health Equity pathway (and write 5 additional essays from scratch) or no. Ironically, the first part of my secondary does talk a lot about my interest in global health, and I don't want it to be redundant in the second part if I choose to fill it out. As far as I understand, you can still take global health electives without a commitment, once admitted. Thoughts?

Did anyone end up contacting admissions about not receiving a secondary despite having above average stats? I received confirmation of receipt of primary on 6/29 and have heard nothing since.
I'm getting nervous here! I'm from LA and UCLA is easily my first or second choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone end up contacting admissions about not receiving a secondary despite having above average stats? I received confirmation of receipt of primary on 6/29 and have heard nothing since.
I'm getting nervous here! I'm from LA and UCLA is easily my first or second choice.
let us know if you contact them!

IS, ORM, Very average stats and received their secondary. Anyone know if it's worth submitting or if UCLA typically performs holistic review?

IS, ORM, Very average stats and received their secondary. Anyone know if it's worth submitting or if UCLA typically performs holistic review?
I've spoken to UCLA adcoms personally. all they talk about is their holistic review haha

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone still without a secondary? Application acknowledgment 6/29

Reactions: 3 users
I already submitted and answered no because I assumed they meant in previous cycles. Should I email the admissions office to let them know? I don't want this to disqualify my app or anything
For anyone else who made the same mistake, I emailed adcom and it only matters if you are applying to global health equity pathway. If you are and you answered no, just email them and they'll fix it. Otherwise, your answer will be disregarded

I received the invite today & it isn't letting me log in, has anyone else had this issue & fixed it :bang:

Anybody here submitted a committee letter packet to AMCAS and it was received yet UCLA still marked your rec letter as unreceived?

Reactions: 2 users
Same - I have a committee letter that has been submitted but don't see it on the secondary portal.

So I contacted them today and they said they expect to see 3-5 letters. If you have all of your letters in 1 packet, they suggest that you split them into individual letters... I have no idea how to do this .

So I contacted them today and they said they expect to see 3-5 letters. If you have all of your letters in 1 packet, they suggest that you split them into individual letters... I have no idea how to do this .
HUH... that's super weird :( I also have an additional individual letter and that hasn't showed up on there either.

Does the second prompt need to relate back to the first question? Specifically, the 3 questions with letters A, B, and C regarding our activities, volunteer work, and research need to explicitly tie back into our mission / being a "physician AND" part. Or is the second question different and does not really need to tie back into how these specific activities and volunteering furthered that mission?

2)
Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".
A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

Does the second prompt need to relate back to the first question? Specifically, the 3 questions with letters A, B, and C regarding our activities, volunteer work, and research need to explicitly tie back into our mission / being a "physician AND" part. Or is the second question different and does not really need to tie back into how these specific activities and volunteering furthered that mission?

2)
Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".
A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

C-Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)
I do not believe so. That's not how I am answering them anyways. The first question is an explicit societal mission you want to embrace in addition to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, ..." whereas the second question, parts A, B, and C, are more like diversity questions behind the initial explicit prompt.

For example, my answer to part A will be along the lines of answering a leadership role I have in my church. In that way, I answer the explicit question of describing a role in leadership whilst also answering the prompt of who I will be in addition to an "Outstanding Physician, ..." (a person of faith).

Haha, also debating this - glad we're on the same boat! When did you submit your secondary? My current thought is waiting 48 hours before contacting admissions.
I’m having a similar issue! Did you guys get it figured out or should I call?

Thought I would share the Global Health Equity Pathway questions since they kind of blindsided me. I don't think these were on the secondary last year?

Global Health Equity Pathway Application Questions

1. Please describe why you are interested in the Global Health Equity Pathway and any experiences that have informed your decision to apply for this Pathway. (800 char)

2. How do you think participation in the Pathway will contribute to your future career plans and career development? (800 char)

3. What additional skills would you like to develop as part of the Pathway? What strengths do you currently have that may contribute to a global health or health equity project? (i.e., language, writing skills, advocacy work, monitoring and evaluation experience, data management/cleaning/analysis, website development, etc.) (800 char)

4. What are the major challenges you might face as a medical student working in global health or health equity? How might you overcome these challenges? (800 char)

5. Optional question: Please let us know if you have a mentor or organization with whom you would be excited to work as part of the Pathway and why you would like to work with this individual and/or organization. Mentors and organizations may be affiliated with DGSOM/UCLA or may be pre-existing relationships you developed prior to medical school. Note that you are not expected to have a DGSOM mentor and/or partner organization identified prior to arrival at DGSOM. (800 char)

In case anyone else was wondering about the standalone question that’s confusing, you do answer yes if you are first-time applicant
Did you ask admissions?

I emailed them, "In the "Global Health Equity Pathway OPTION" section, the second question asks, "Have you applied for admission to the Traditional MD track or the Prime-LA track at DGSOM?" Just to confirm, is this question asking if I have applied to DGSOM in previous years? I am a first-time applicant, so should I put "No"?"

Their response was "Thank you for your message. You are correct and would answer no if it is your first time applying."

Did you ask admissions?

I emailed them, "In the "Global Health Equity Pathway OPTION" section, the second question asks, "Have you applied for admission to the Traditional MD track or the Prime-LA track at DGSOM?" Just to confirm, is this question asking if I have applied to DGSOM in previous years? I am a first-time applicant, so should I put "No"?"

Their response was "Thank you for your message. You are correct and would answer no if it is your first time applying."
Hmm I'm a first time applicant but answered "Yes" to this question. Should I contact admissions and ask if they can fix it for me?

I'm not sure. It seems like people are getting different answers from admissions.
I'll reach out to admissions and give an update on their response. I'm going to be pretty direct and straightforward in my email (e.g. whether this question is for reapplicants or not), so hopefully this'll clear it up for everyone.

I'll reach out to admissions and give an update on their response. I'm going to be pretty direct and straightforward in my email (e.g. whether this question is for reapplicants or not), so hopefully this'll clear it up for everyone.
Yes please do, people have been getting mixed responses.

Thank you! I answered “Yes” so I’m confused too!

Did you ask admissions?

I did get ask them directly, and they told me that "yes" was correct if you were a first time applicant. lol.

For anyone who has completed the supp. application and hasn't taken or signed up for the PREVIEW, does it still show your application is complete? And like do you need to take it in order to get an II?

Update: I was looking on their webpage and it says its required for it to be completed before September 30, so I assume it is required to get an interview. Not 100% tho. :/
Can anyone confirm? :'( haha

I’m having a similar issue! Did you guys get it figured out or should I call?
in the same boat here! I'm assuming if everyone with a committee letter packet is in the same boat then it's not a huge deal. I was thinking of contacting admissions early next week if it's not fixed by then.

in the same boat here! I'm assuming if everyone with a committee letter packet is in the same boat then it's not a huge deal. I was thinking of contacting admissions early next week if it's not fixed by then.

I emailed them and they manually added my committee packet as received and marked my app as complete. So it’s worth emailing.

Does anyone know if it's generally recommended to add documents despite being optional? Like adding my CV, all of my independent undergraduate research abstracts, or more importantly the actual published abstracts?

Is this just a place to add more information otherwise not found on your primary? Like even though my published abstracts carry significantly more weight, I already added their DOI on my primary so I should prob only add my independent abstracts if I really wanted to add more to my app right?

Does anyone know if it's generally recommended to add documents despite being optional? Like adding my CV, all of my independent undergraduate research abstracts, or more importantly the actual published abstracts?

Is this just a place to add more information otherwise not found on your primary? Like even though my published abstracts carry significantly more weight, I already added their DOI on my primary so I should prob only add my independent abstracts if I really wanted to add more to my app right?
don't upload your papers and abstracts. If you are an MD/PhD applicant and they really want to see those, they will ask you for them.

Got a response: if you are NOT applying to the Global Health pathway, the answer to the “have you applied to the MD or PRIME track” does not matter. That is only intended for global health applicants to answer. That’s all that the admissions team told me! They’re so nice haha I’d recommend emailing them if you had a question about your app (or if you want specific clarification on this question for your own situation).

I emailed them and they manually added my committee packet as received and marked my app as complete. So it’s worth emailing.
Do you happen to know if we can have more than 5 letters in the packet? In mine, I have the committee letter (which DGSOM said they will count as one letter) and 6 individual letters, but I know they ask for 3-5.

OOS acknowledgment + secondary received today. Primary verified 7/21.

Anyone still not receive a secondary lol. Primary verified 6/22

Reactions: 7 users