2022-2023 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long the screen typically takes? Would you say 1-2 weeks?

I was verified 6/24. Received acknowledgement of primary on 6/28. And received secondary invite today 7/7. This is just me though.
This is helpful, thank you!

Does anyone have any insight on what they're screening for? Is it an MCAT/GPA formula? @DancingHusky mentioned a screen for fit as well?

Reactions: 1 users
I was verified 6/16 and received confirmation of primary on 6/29 then secondary on 6/29. I think there is a screen but not a big one. Seems more like it’s just first come first serve, so they send them in waves?

I am OOS but have family in CA. My apps is verified on 6/13/2022; acknowledgement that my app is received was on 6/28/22. I didnt get a secondary though, so maybe they do hate me hahaha!

I was verified on 6/8 but never received an email from UCLA regarding receipt of my primary. I did get a "received" from CDU/UCLA.

They hate me more! OOS, verified 6/1, received email regarding receipt of primary...but no secondary to date. Well, at least I tried. Next!

Reactions: 1 user
Also an incoming UCLA DGSOM student like @JoyFairy. Happy to answer any questions y'all might have, and best of luck to everybody!

Disclaimer: Absolutely not involved in admissions in any way.

• Love
So I'm a queer person and am planning on address marginalization of LGBTQ people in the appropriate section. Would it be too negative to talk about having difficulty finding providers comfortable/willing to prescribe things like PrEP as my experience of marginalization?

Anyone IS still without a secondary? I got verified on 6/27 so I should be fairly on the top of their list for secondary screening.

Members don't see this ad :)
2) Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".
A-Describe your most unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity. (800 characters)

B-Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful. (800 characters)

My leadership activity just so happens to be part of my most important/meaningful volunteer work. Im conflicted. Would it be okay to talk about the same activity in both of these prompts? Or would it be frowned upon? I know the best case scenario would be that they would be different activities.

The alternative would be to keep my leadership essay, but talk about a different volunteering experience. I started this different volunteering in April 2022 and I didn't list it on my primary because I felt that I hadn't accumulated enough hours for it to be significant enough. any advice is appreciated

My leadership activity just so happens to be part of my most important/meaningful volunteer work. Im conflicted. Would it be okay to talk about the same activity in both of these prompts? Or would it be frowned upon? I know the best case scenario would be that they would be different activities.

The alternative would be to keep my leadership essay, but talk about a different volunteering experience. I started this different volunteering in April 2022 and I didn't list it on my primary because I felt that I hadn't accumulated enough hours for it to be significant enough. any advice is appreciated
Are you able to separate out the leadership aspect and the meaningful aspect? I could see it working if you're about to talk about how you demonstrated leadership/what you did to lead in the first essay and then in the second essay talk more about why the work you did was meaningful to you and the people you impacted.

Are you able to separate out the leadership aspect and the meaningful aspect? I could see it working if you're about to talk about how you demonstrated leadership/what you did to lead in the first essay and then in the second essay talk more about why the work you did was meaningful to you and the people you impacted.
appreciate the swift reply and advice! And I can definitely separate out the two aspects from each other.

appreciate the swift reply and advice! And I can definitely separate out the two aspects from each other.
that sounds more authentic than subbing in something that you started in April, unless the new volunteer work was truly more meaningful than your other work :)

that sounds more authentic than subbing in something that you started in April, unless the new volunteer work was truly more meaningful than your other work :)

when you put it that way it makes a lot more sense to me haha. All these secondaries have got me stuck in my own head. I think Im going to just write what was actually most meaningful to me while separating the two aspects as much as possible. thanks for the advice

IS secondary received. Primary verified 6/4, notice of primary submission 6/29. Looks like it doesn't have much to do with time of verification.

OOS Secondary received. No ties to California

edit: Notice of primary submission on 6/29

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no secondary here. OOS no ties, LM 83, submitted primary day 1

OOS, secondary received today at 6am EST. Verified on 6/13/22. Notice of primary submission on 6/28/22.

IS, secondary received 7/9. Submitted 6/6 and processed 7/5.

One of the questions reads, "I have applied for admission to the Traditional MD track or the Prime-LA track at DGSOM." Does this mean the current cycle or previous cycles?

One of the questions reads, "I have applied for admission to the Traditional MD track or the Prime-LA track at DGSOM." Does this mean the current cycle or previous cycles?
I put Yes for it because I assumed it meant the current cycle. But maybe someone else knows for sure!

+1 IS secondary received at 3AM PST today LMAO, regular MD. they sent the "received your app" email for me on thursday 7/7.

Last edited:
I wonder what their screening process is like. I got the “primary received” email end of June, but no secondary yet.

I wonder what their screening process is like. I got the “primary received” email end of June, but no secondary yet.
Same here. I got past UCSDs screen and figured I’d get past UCLAs as well but I guess not lol😂

Keep faith guys, I dismissed because I was verified on 6/1 and heard boo...but just got the secondary early this AM as well.

Reactions: 2 users
do they still have the high mcat screening? or was that a rumor?

I don’t think so? My MCAT is below their average and I got a secondary earlier this week. Based on last years thread it seems like they are really doing holistic review

do they still have the high mcat screening? or was that a rumor?
I don’t think so? My MCAT is below their average and I got a secondary earlier this week. Based on last years thread it seems like they are really doing holistic review
Yeah, I don’t think it’s a stats screen. I got a secondary from CDU/UCLA and UCSD too so I’m a little surprised. I think I’m a pretty good mission fit for here

For questions A, B, and C where we're describing leadership/volunteer/research impacts our future career goals, are we relating this specifically to the previous question's "outstanding physician, AND..." answer?

As in, if I answer "I want to become an outstanding physician, AND a leading hot air balloon enthusiast" (just for illustration), then my answers for A, B, and C should be along the lines of "my leadership has made me interested in integrating hot air balloon science with health," "volunteering has made me certain that I want to become a balloon physician," and "my research has grown a passion for pushing the bounds of balloon health research"?

I ask this because this will completely change my answer to "outstanding physician, AND..." If I'm going to have to relate all these three very independent areas of my application to one theme, then I'm going to be pretty restricted on how I answer.

People who've gotten their secondary, would you mind sharing when you were verified? I submitted on 6/3 so didn't get verified till 6/27. I'm hoping they just haven't gotten to my app yet.

"I have applied for admission to the Traditional MD track or the Prime-LA track at DGSOM." Yes or No question

is this question asking if I have previously applied? or is it asking if I am applying now lol

People who've gotten their secondary, would you mind sharing when you were verified? I submitted on 6/3 so didn't get verified till 6/27. I'm hoping they just haven't gotten to my app yet.
I submitted 6/3 as well. Didn’t get verified until 6/27. Got my secondary 7/9 at 3AM

"I have applied for admission to the Traditional MD track or the Prime-LA track at DGSOM." Yes or No question

is this question asking if I have previously applied? or is it asking if I am applying now lol
Myself and others had this question and we assumed it meant applying now and put yes lol

For questions A, B, and C where we're describing leadership/volunteer/research impacts our future career goals, are we relating this specifically to the previous question's "outstanding physician, AND..." answer?

As in, if I answer "I want to become an outstanding physician, AND a leading hot air balloon enthusiast" (just for illustration), then my answers for A, B, and C should be along the lines of "my leadership has made me interested in integrating hot air balloon science with health," "volunteering has made me certain that I want to become a balloon physician," and "my research has grown a passion for pushing the bounds of balloon health research"?

I ask this because this will completely change my answer to "outstanding physician, AND..." If I'm going to have to relate all these three very independent areas of my application to one theme, then I'm going to be pretty restricted on how I answer.
Someone answered a question like this in the 21-22 UCLA thread and said yes. The advice they gave on that thread was to keep the answer to the first prompt broad, so that your answers in 2A,2B,2C, etc follow the theme described in the first prompt. I dont think it needs to be a perfect fit (Mine wasn't a perfect fit either), but it seems to me that these questions are asked in such a way that they seem to want us to frame our activities toward a narrative. But ultimately, I think its important you write whats important and most meaningful to you.

Reactions: 3 users
i was verified on 7/6 (submitted 6/7) so i was surprised i got a secondary this quickly, especially with a below average MCAT. they just tryna give me false hope

Last edited:
in regards to the secondary prompts - my leadership and volunteer essays relate to my mission a lot as someone who wants to work in community health, but my cell biology research (my ONLY significant research experience) essay is going to be a stretch (ie like saying how my research will benefit understanding of human diseases) and is very far fetched from the community engagement stuff i've done... anyone else have this problem?

OOS verified 6/24. Received a secondary invite just now on 7/10.

Secondary received at 3 AM PST! IS, verified 6/24, received acknowledgement of primary 6/29

recieved acknowledgment of primary 6/30, verified 6/29, OOS secondary received this morning at 3am PST

Someone answered a question like this in the 21-22 UCLA thread and said yes. The advice they gave on that thread was to keep the answer to the first prompt broad, so that your answers in 2A,2B,2C, etc follow the theme described in the first prompt. I dont think it needs to be a perfect fit (Mine wasn't a perfect fit either), but it seems to me that these questions are asked in such a way that they seem to want us to frame our activities toward a narrative. But ultimately, I think its important you write whats important and most meaningful to you.

Awesome, thank you very much for the advice!