2022-2023 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are TAMU interviews - I've interviewed at BCM, Long, and McGovern so how does TAMU compare? Are there any particular questions I should expect?
My favorite interviews, bar none. Not sure if it'll go that way for everyone, but I was so impressed by those faculty interviews that I'm having a hard time being logical regarding A&M. Doesn't mean your interviews will go this way, but at least try not to worry about them. You'll do well! We are who we are. Nothing will change how we respond to these scenarios if we are honest and decent. I believe in you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Completed my interview recently. I felt great after the fist interviewer and we really connected. But I botched a significant question with my second interviewer. They also asked about my relatively low MCAT. Do you guys think I have a decent chance?
When I interviewed I thought both my interviews went horribly and had given up hope ever hearing back from the school. You may have done better than you think or they may have been tough on purpose to see how you would react. I know its hard to not overthink but at this point you have done your best and you have to move on to the next big thing - hopefully more interviews!

To those interviewing along with me next week: in the interview handout where it says "Please view short 5-10 minute video clip of each office:" under MD STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES AND PROGRAMS - is anyone able to view any clips? I can't seem to find any links to any of the clips they're talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those interviewing along with me next week: in the interview handout where it says "Please view short 5-10 minute video clip of each office:" under MD STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES AND PROGRAMS - is anyone able to view any clips? I can't seem to find any links to any of the clips they're talking about.
With enough sleuthing, I was able to find this for the Medical Scholar Research Pathway Program: Recruitment Video

Reactions: 1 user
Did any EnMed applicants submit a letter of interest or intent? Not sure how much of a difference it could make (or if it’s too soon lol)

Pre-matched today! This is my first acceptance and I'm so very grateful.

@MonsterIcee , I would not give up hope. The questions I had were tough too, and I did not have the perfect answers to them. I think it is more about the interviewers getting to know you than you having a "right answer" for every question.
When did you interview? I just interviewed yesterday so just wondering how long it was between interviewing and hearing back. Thanks and congrats!!

Do you think there be more IIs this cycle?

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard about scholarships yet? Also when do they historically release them?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard about scholarships yet? Also when do they historically release them?
I have been wondering the same thing. A friend of mine who is in their first year there now said they received a scholarship in mid November (about a month after they pre-matched). Then in April they got additional scholarship.

Does anyone know how much of their incoming class is filled with prematch offers?

also, what do yall think the chances for a prematch would be for someone who just interviewed 11/15 :)) LizzyM 75, ORM, casper 1st Q :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview? I just interviewed yesterday so just wondering how long it was between interviewing and hearing back. Thanks and congrats!!
The call & email came in a week after interview day. I really did get some great interviewers though and I feel like they made it very comfortable for me to just relax & be myself. I think @skeptastic also had a quick turnaround time within a week or so.

On a typical week and under normal circumstances, the committee meets to discuss applications and vote on interviewed applicants each Friday. For example, if you interviewed today, the committee will likely (but not always) vote on you tomorrow. I have no insight on when pre-match offers are typically extended though.

@RajasMom how did your engineering test go?
I think it went pretty well! Definitely agree with all of you that it wasn't something to stress over. I also went to the social with current students the night before and they emphasized that the quizzes were not a huge deal, mostly just to gather data. I guess this is the first year they're using quizzes, so it's mostly to see if they'll be useful in future years

The call & email came in a week after interview day. I really did get some great interviewers though and I feel like they made it very comfortable for me to just relax & be myself. I think @skeptastic also had a quick turnaround time within a week or so.
Oh wow that is a quick turnaround time. Thanks for the insight!

Indeed! I interviewed on 10/27 and pre-matched on 11/1. Definitely a shocking series of events, but also super appreciated!

Does A&M accept updates via email? And does A&M value their current student opinions when it comes to admitting new students?
If you have something new like a publication, send an email. Or if you want to update your fall term grades, do that on the TMDSAS portal.

Does anyone know if A&M listens to their current student opinions when it comes to admitting new students?
You mean like having a current student put in a good word for you? I don't think that's a means of promoting your application.
You seem pretty anxious right now, remember you have had more than one interview already & that's good.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if A&M listens to their current student opinions when it comes to admitting new students?
It won't help, even if your friend was on the Admissions Committee (conflicts of interest are taken very seriously). It also wouldn't be a good look for you if the committee could tell it was prompted by you. You had your opportunity to be recommended with your LORs.

There are still plenty of interviews to come so there is still time. However, don't forget that you are rejected until you are accepted, so always be working on your backup plan. If it does come to it, then you should know that A&M is a reapplicant-friendly school.

It won't help, even if your friend was on the Admissions Committee (conflicts of interest are taken very seriously). It also wouldn't be a good look for you if the committee could tell it was prompted by you. You had your opportunity to be recommended with your LORs.

There are still plenty of interviews to come so there is still time. However, don't forget that you are rejected until you are accepted, so always be working on your backup plan. If it does come to it, then you should know that A&M is a reapplicant-friendly school.
I will say I know people (not at TAMU but at other schools in TX) where they were had their friends who were MS3/MS4s recommend them and they got interviews literally within days. Also know someone who got an interview at a TX school after a resident at that institution recommended them. With that said, I don't think any of them were ultimately accepted at those programs

iI will say I know people (not at TAMU but at other schools in TX) where they were had their friends who were MS3/MS4s recommend them and they got interviews literally within days. Also know someone who got an interview at a TX school after a resident at that institution recommended them. With that said, I don't think any of them were ultimately accepted at those programs
May be the friends are just taking credit!

It is possible to recommend people if you are some how involved with the admissions as either interviewers or application reviewers. All it takes is knowing people inside the department and be involved to give a simple nudge to check up on some applicant. There are a lot of people who go into HOLD bucket because people reading the app go meh because they woke up on the wrong side of the bed or the applicant does not come across great when someone reads it because they didnt do a good job of preparing the app.

So someone involved in the process says I know this person, they are very good for our school, it can work out. As far as admins are concerned, they have 800 interview slots, they need to fill them ensuring that they are able to cover the cross section of applicants needed to be interviewed. Does it make any difference to them whether they pick one URM or ORM with LM of 70+ over another URM or ORM?

There may be 200+ MS3s or MS4s in each of these schools. My guess would be less than a handful would be able to pull it off if they are actually involved in admissions. It takes an enormous amount of tact and persuasion skills.

May be the friends are just taking credit!

It is possible to recommend people if you are some how involved with the admissions as either interviewers or application reviewers. All it takes is knowing people inside the department and be involved to give a simple nudge to check up on some applicant. There are a lot of people who go into HOLD bucket because people reading the app go meh because they woke up on the wrong side of the bed or the applicant does not come across great when someone reads it because they didnt do a good job of preparing the app.

So someone involved in the process says I know this person, they are very good for our school, it can work out. As far as admins are concerned, they have 800 interview slots, they need to fill them ensuring that they are able to cover the cross section of applicants needed to be interviewed. Does it make any difference to them whether they pick one URM or ORM with LM of 70+ over another URM or ORM?

There may be 200+ MS3s or MS4s in each of these schools. My guess would be less than a handful would be able to pull it off if they are actually involved in admissions. It takes an enormous amount of tact and persuasion skills.
Yeah I agree, and tbh it could've been pure coincidence that they got interviews. I personally wouldn't ask my friends to do that since it wouldn't look great on either party

Uffff dah. Rejected post-interview to EnMed and subsequently withdrew from the MD program.

• Care
After all the tuition I paid to this school, they finally sent me an invite toady!!

Reactions: 5 users
Also what is an interview orientation?
Instead of having the traditional format of a few hours of presentations before your interviews, they broke up interview day into two days. Orientation is where they discuss the curriculum, the school, research, etc. And then on Tuesday or Thursday, you sign into Zoom and join your 1:1 interview, chat for 30 min, and then you're done for the day. With this method, you don't have zoom fatigue by the time you get to your interviews.

• Love
Instead of having the traditional format of a few hours of presentations before your interviews, they broke up interview day into two days. Orientation is where they discuss the curriculum, the school, research, etc. And then on Tuesday or Thursday, you sign into Zoom and join your 1:1 interview, chat for 30 min, and then you're done for the day. With this method, you don't have zoom fatigue by the time you get to your interviews.
Thank you! They didn't really explain that in the email.

+1 II, feeling relieved as I thought my cycle may already be over.

Reactions: 4 users
I know it may be a bit early for this, but is anyone aware of any GroupMe's or other social groups for accepted students? Also have any accepted ppl received any swag/gear from them?

I know it may be a bit early for this, but is anyone aware of any GroupMe's or other social groups for accepted students? Also have any accepted ppl received any swag/gear from them?
pre-matched people can DM their instagram @tamuaggieambassadors to be added to a GroupMe! I pre-matched in october, no gear or swag so far at least.

This is much better than the standard 5-8 hour interview day! Interesting how they changed the process mid-interview season since it wasn't this way earlier in the cycle, very thoughtful.

You should get swag during your second look which should be scheduled in the coming months. You get to tour the school, meet faculty, ask current students questions and meet your future classmates !

• Love
You should get swag during your second look which should be scheduled in the coming months. You get to tour the school, meet faculty, ask current students questions and meet your future classmates !
Do you remember when those are (like before match day, after, a certain weekend every year)? Would love to go on one, but I would need to know well in advance because I live thousands of miles away from TX.

Do you remember when those are (like before match day, after, a certain weekend every year)? Would love to go on one, but I would need to know well in advance because I live thousands of miles away from TX.
You want to fly thousands of miles for trinkets? Order them online!

when was your APP complete?

I was complete way back near the end of August, but I have not received an II. I was just trying to gauge to see what was left, with hopes that they might show some me some love at some point (,:

As an OOS student, I just received a 1K scholarship making me eligible for instate tuition!

I know this is a long standing tradition for TX schools, but as someone who grew up below the absolute poverty line, it feels surreal.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Last year the second look days were both in February.