2022-2023 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who are accepted, how would you rank the different regional campuses and why?

Here is my ranking:
- Round Rock (my partner works in tech and her company has a branch there. Austin seems really fun!)
- BCS (research is great and extremely affordable. Went to a Big10 school so I bet it's a similar feel)
- Houston (not the TMC so everything complex gets transferred but more affordable than Dallas)
- Dallas (seemed to be the most expensive and would be competing with Baylor students on everything)
Just to offer some input

- Round Rock students will be scattered around different hospital systems not just one hospital in the Austin area. (Personally like that and will be going to roundrock)

- Those who go to houston as a regular MD Candidate are not going to be placed at TMC. They will be at Willowbrook. MD/PhD students and EnMed go to TMC.

- Regarding BUMC Dallas, @NothingBurger is correct, it is not the same as Baylor College of Medicine in HTX. Instead we will be running into UTSW students.

Also, idk when you have to submit your rankings, but for us it was some time in March and during that time faculty and students will give presentations and resources to help make your decision. And you can do electives at any of these campuses !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Pretty sure we have BUMC uncontested by anyone. Maybe for elective rotations we can see students pull up from other schools, but BUMC is for TAMU only. I personally think Dallas has the most opportunities, then Round Rock, Houston, and finally CSTAT.

Pretty sure we have BUMC uncontested by anyone. Maybe for elective rotations we can see students pull up from other schools, but BUMC is for TAMU only. I personally think Dallas has the most opportunities, then Round Rock, Houston, and finally CSTAT.
How does this affect the match list based on the regional campus? Do Dallas students tend to match into the most competitive specialties? Or does TAMU not track that information?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that haven’t received an interview yet, does your application just say “your application is ready” or does it say something else on the status page?
Mine says the same thing, submitted around mid August

How does this affect the match list based on the regional campus? Do Dallas students tend to match into the most competitive specialties? Or does TAMU not track that information?
a friend of mine said dallas tends to produce more competitive matches, the other hospitals are more community based but you can still match well from anywhere tbh

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Does not prematching means your chances are shot?
Absolutely not. In fact, the admissions committee has stated they have considered cutting back on pre-match offers to reduce the recurrence risk of the CO2025 overage a couple cycles ago. With that in mind, the pre-match rates may be different moving forward and even more so do not realistically reflect your chance at acceptance. Please remain patient and, perhaps the hardest of all, do not compare yourself to anyone else because we all have different strengths and journeys. You've got this!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
a friend of mine said dallas tends to produce more competitive matches

I personally think Dallas has the most opportunities, then Round Rock, Houston, and finally CSTAT.
Every single upperclassman I have talked to have independently and unanimously stated no clinical campus is superior to another. Most choose their campus based on location. Where people match is a much more individual choice and process than this campus vs another. For matching, the only tangible benefit of one campus over another would be directly networking with that institution; however, even this is mitigated substantially by the ease at which students from other campuses can do rotations there and every location's strong ties to A&M.

Since there seems to be little love for BCS, I will add this information for consideration:

From what I've been told, students staying at the BCS campus take their Step 2 exam earlier and score higher on average than students at other campuses. BCS students also receive a lot more procedural experience and have a much more relaxed transition into clerkships than other campuses, due to the AIM program structure and relative lack of residents to compete with.

Reactions: 1 users
it is now day 47 of being ignored by admissions for a fee waiver, followed up weekly via email and once via phone. i am withdrawing, and thankfully this school isn't toward the top of my list, but seems really unprofessional on their end. bummer since i spent time on the secondary and it was done other than fee. good luck to everyone else!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it is now day 47 of being ignored by admissions for a fee waiver, followed up weekly via email and once via phone. i am withdrawing, and thankfully this school isn't toward the top of my list, but seems really unprofessional on their end. bummer since i spent time on the secondary and it was done other than fee. good luck to everyone else!

Are you serious? Lol

So did you have the fee waiver from AAMC and A&M wouldn’t let you use it? Or did you just request a fee waiver? If it’s the latter case, they have no obligation to you to grant that request.

So did you have the fee waiver from AAMC and A&M wouldn’t let you use it? Or did you just request a fee waiver? If it’s the latter case, they have no obligation to you to grant that request.
I have a fee waiver from AAMC as well as a FAFSA with an EFC of zero (some schools like TCOM request that) and forwarded both to them with all of my IDs, etc. They won’t respond to my emails or calls

• Care
I have a fee waiver from AAMC as well as a FAFSA with an EFC of zero (some schools like TCOM request that) and forwarded both to them with all of my IDs, etc. They won’t respond to my emails or calls
sorry you are so unhappy with this school, move your focus to the ones where you are complete and good luck with those.

I just got an A from the EnMED program!!!! It came in at 9AM via email!

OOS, interviewed 9/12, can’t be more excited!!

Good luck out there everybody!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
I just got an A from the EnMED program!!!! It came in at 9AM via email!

OOS, interviewed 9/12, can’t be more excited!!

Good luck out there everybody!
SAME I DIDN'T CHECK MY EMAIL THIS MORNING BUT IT CAME IN AT 9 AM!!! EXTREMELY EXCITED!

also IS, interviewed 8/15

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I was going to reply yesterday, but I had to make an account. EnMed Pre Match at 9:01 am Oct 24th. Interviewed 8/22. IS

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone been notified by TMDSAS to submit transcripts yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Any current ENMED students can kindly comment how difficult it is to do medical school course work with requirements of engineering degree at the same time and do u have to have basic engineering degree to succeed in ENMED program

II received this morning (for next week)! Non-trad, in state, secondary complete 8/24. 72 LM.

So excited & grateful to get an interview.

Congrats to those with A's!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
II received this morning (for next week)! Non-trad, in state, secondary complete 8/24. 72 LM.

So excited & grateful to get an interview.

Congrats to those with A's!!
Looks like schools have finally gotten to your app and the IIs are rolling in!

• Love
Looks like schools have finally gotten to your app and the IIs are rolling in!
Such a relief! I know I applied a little late, but was second guessing if I really hit submit on those secondaries. :rofl:

• Haha
  • Care
Any current ENMED students can kindly comment how difficult it is to do medical school course work with requirements of engineering degree at the same time and do u have to have basic engineering degree to succeed in ENMED program
Current EnMed M3 so would love to comment on this briefly!
I'll address your second point first, you don't need a lot of hard engineering skills to be successful in EnMed. The focus of the program is mostly built around developing the skills of identifying clinical needs, brainstorming solutions, making prototypes, and making sure the final device could be viable in the market. So if you are like me and got to differential equations/linear algebra and found out you didn't like math as much as you thought, don't worry, there aren't classes like that in EnMed! They also have workshops and teaching sessions available for students who want to get better at solidworks, coding, soldering, machining, etc. Peer-teaching is also encouraged. Most projects are in groups, so chances are someone in the group will be good at whatever skill y'all need for the project and the team can play to their strengths.

As far as the workload, the general structure of the program is that during your pre-clerkship years you take one engineering course per semester that tries to blend in with whatever medicine classes you have going on. The lectures focus on technologies/devices and also focus on different aspects of the biodesign process. Throughout these courses, you usually work in teams on semester-long projects that have a final deliverable at the end that could be a business plan, a prototype, or something similar. This sounds like a lot, but the faculty are all aware of the demands of medical school, so they formulate the schedule so that you don't have any engineering commitments due on the weeks of exams (sometimes they accidentally schedule things, but they are always flexible with the due dates in those cases). In total, engineering has one lecture per week and takes about 2-3 hours of work per week on average to dedicated towards the engineering projects. This is made more manageable by the fact that EnMed structures their entire pre-clerkship around flipped classroom, so you don't have a lot of time commitments or in person mandatory sessions. The framework for the schedule is to have no more than 15 hours of mandatory session per week for most courses, and 20 hours per week for lab-based courses.

Throughout your 4 years of medical school, you also take 3, 4-week electives dedicated towards engineering projects. The summer after M1 year has a 10 week summer, so most students do their first 1 at that time and the remaining 2 can be done during M3/M4 year. These electives can be basically whatever you make of them, but they typically revolve around students working on solving a specific engineering problem. As an example, a surgeon from a nearby hospital came to EnMed with a problem he was noticing during surgeries, so my group signed up for the problem and worked on brainstorming/rapid prototyping during our engineering elective.

This was a very drawn-out explanation, but the TLDR is that the workload is very manageable and EnMed focuses more on the practical aspects of engineering instead of the math/concept heavy focus of undergraduate engineering!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted to the standard MD program today (11/1) at 1:05 pm CST! Complete 6/21, II 9/20, interviewed 10/27.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
2 business days to decide on you! That's pretty incredible! Congrats Skep

• Care
2 business days to decide on you! That's pretty incredible! Congrats Skep
I mean wow! I will say that it was undoubtedly my best and favorite interview. I had two faculty members and they just gushed about my app, my experiences, and especially my turnaround from a terrible academic start in younger years to where I am today. They still asked very tough questions, but I felt like I was talking to colleagues. Everyone was exceptionally kind and full of energy on the interview day, and it's an honor to be welcomed into their fold, especially after just a few days of deliberation.

Hopefully this means more to come soon from A&M for my fellow SDN members! Thanks a bunch for the kind words of support Astro!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to the standard MD program today (11/1) at 1:05 pm CST! Complete 6/21, II 9/20, interviewed 10/27.
With that kind of turn around, did they attach a fullride or not? Did you tell them others are bidding?

• Love
I mean wow! I will say that it was undoubtedly my best and favorite interview. I had two faculty members and they just gushed about my app, my experiences, and especially my turnaround from a terrible academic start in younger years to where I am today. They still asked very tough questions, but I felt like I was talking to colleagues. Everyone was exceptionally kind and full of energy on the interview day, and it's an honor to be welcomed into their fold, especially after just a few days of deliberation.

Hopefully this means more to come soon from A&M for my fellow SDN members! Thanks a bunch for the kind words of support Astro!
A&M was a great interview. One of my faculty members kept laughing and smiling while I was speaking about my application. Very down to earth people and overall a great program. Happy to have you here, Skep!

Also, I wonder when we hear about financial aid. If we prematch at schools, do those schools send aid estimates, or do you get a single aid estimate from the school you match with in March?

• Haha
  • Care
With that kind of turn around, did they attach a fullride or not? Did you tell them others are bidding?
They didn't mention a scholarship offer, but you know... I didn't look at any of the attached documents yet lol. I called my wife and then let you all know the good news! If they offer a full ride, ooh wee!!

I've been hesitant about A&M because of them losing the Temple site, passing the Methodist Houston site off to EnMed students, and generally feeling concerned with what's going on there. But, they went true P/F with no internal ranking for preclinical years, and prematching this early could mean a guarantee to land the Dallas clinical site for MS3/MS4. All of that changes my thoughts quite a bit. If MD students still went to Methodist, I'd have about lost my mind, lol!

• Love
A&M was a great interview. One of my faculty members kept laughing and smiling while I was speaking about my application. Very down to earth people and overall a great program. Happy to have you here, Skep!
You sure did get in there as well, didn't you! Awesome! Yeah man, super enjoyable interview. Those faculty members responded to my thank you emails and were this the only interviewers to do so this entire cycle. And their replies were genuine, not generic, and spoke to our conversation in detail. One of them had such kind things to say that it blew my mind!

Lots to think about!

• Wow
While we're talking about TAMU interviews, just wanted to add that one of my interviewers really left a mark on me by starting off that he had no interest in reading my file and that he just wanted me to explain "why medicine" off the cuff... Thought I was already screwed judging by his serious face, turned out that he was just trying to see how I could handle pressure in the moment and we ended up having an awesome, fun conversation about med research and other stuff. Really made me excited about their faculty and program :D
Also, I wonder when we hear about financial aid. If we prematch at schools, do those schools send aid estimates, or do you get a single aid estimate from the school you match with in March?
I think for EnMed, my offer letter said it would be decided in April - but I don't know if they just meant tuition will be decided then (since this next year would be the first year EnMed is wholly separated from BCS under a new Engineering Medicine College) or if they meant the entire thing. CARS machine broke :/
Packets of information pertaining to college transcripts, financial aid, needed immunizations, insurance, housing opportunities, matriculation, orientation, white coat ceremony, and annual tuition which is currently under review, will be forthcoming (sometime in April).

• Hmm
While we're talking about TAMU interviews, just wanted to add that one of my interviewers really left a mark on me by starting off that he had no interest in reading my file and that he just wanted me to explain "why medicine" off the cuff... Thought I was already screwed judging by his serious face, turned out that he was just trying to see how I could handle pressure in the moment and we ended up having an awesome, fun conversation about med research and other stuff. Really made me excited about their faculty and program :D

I think for EnMed, my offer letter said it would be decided in April - but I don't know if they just meant tuition will be decided then (since this next year would be the first year EnMed is wholly separated from BCS under a new Engineering Medicine College) or if they meant the entire thing. CARS machine broke :/
Unfortunately, it’s pretty common not to know about any scholarships until April, after Match Day.
Fortunately, the tuition of most TMDSAS schools is very similar so it’s not as big a factor in your decision making as it might be for AMCAS schools.

I didnt interview anywhere! I just like to talk to friends out here and give them support.

Princeton medical school does sound like the place I would want to go to @MCAThiccy
And we appreciate you!

I see you as more of an MIT Med kinda individual myself, but Princeton wouldn't be too shabby :lol:

No scholarship offer at this point. All attachments were technical standards/traffic rules/CBC info.

They didn't mention a scholarship offer, but you know... I didn't look at any of the attached documents yet lol. I called my wife and then let you all know the good news! If they offer a full ride, ooh wee!!

I've been hesitant about A&M because of them losing the Temple site, passing the Methodist Houston site off to EnMed students, and generally feeling concerned with what's going on there. But, they went true P/F with no internal ranking for preclinical years, and prematching this early could mean a guarantee to land the Dallas clinical site for MS3/MS4. All of that changes my thoughts quite a bit. If MD students still went to Methodist, I'd have about lost my mind, lol!
Make sure to check all the documents for money! I have never ever seen a turn around like this since they are supposed to be reviewing every week or two and no one has even been announcing a pre-match here other than EnMed.

• Love