2021-2022 UTMB, Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@wysdoc sounds interesting. It does not say they have access to your file during the interview as you also seem to think...

I do see a lot of interview dates per month - 2 per week?
Can confirm they do not have your file during the interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
UTMB finally made it to my TMDSAS ranking today after interviewing on 9/8!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oof it hasn’t made it to mine. Interviewed on 09/03 I know I shouldn’t worry but damn lol :(
I doubt it means anything, I just wanted to update the page since I had previously asked about when it would get to my TMDSAS! I'm sure it'll show up for you soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Has utmb been added to y’all’s TMDSAS ranking yet? If so, when did you interview?

Has utmb been added to y’all’s TMDSAS ranking yet? If so, when did you interview?
Interviewed recently, and it’s already there! Not sure if that’s normal speed.

Last edited:
Mine was added pretty quick as well. But I don't think there's much significance to it. However, I would definitely call them if it's been a few
weeks and it hasn't shown up just to be sure.

II! OOS. No ties whatsoever to Texas and stats aren't crazy high. Did not expect to get any love from Texas schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we think they'll accept anyone on Friday? I don't remember them mentioning anything about it during the interview

Do we think they'll accept anyone on Friday? I don't remember them mentioning anything about it during the interview
They didn't say anything about when they would start sending prematches at my interview (mid/late august). Last year, it looks like they sent out their first As on October 30

Hey y'all,

Some questions:

1) Is Galveston pre-match heavy?

2) Does anyone know when prematch offers are going out? Let's say that prematch offers come out on October 15. Would they make a decision in 2 days for you? Or do they also extend prematch offers into December/January?

3) Also, if you got an interview, does having a lower MCAT/GPA lower your chances at that point, or is it all about how you did on the post-interview?

Hey y'all,

Some questions:

1) Is Galveston pre-match heavy?

2) Does anyone know when prematch offers are going out? Let's say that prematch offers come out on October 15. Would they make a decision in 2 days for you? Or do they also extend prematch offers into December/January?

3) Also, if you got an interview, does having a lower MCAT/GPA lower your chances at that point, or is it all about how you did on the post-interview?

For question 3, I’ve heard that some people who are rejected get told their MCAT was too low even after having a good interview – at least for other schools. Since admissions are decided by a committee holistically, you could nail the interview and still get an R because of stats. I’m not sure if UTMB is different though.

For question 3, I’ve heard that some people who are rejected get told their MCAT was too low even after having a good interview – at least for other schools. Since admissions are decided by a committee holistically, you could nail the interview and still get an R because of stats. I’m not sure if UTMB is different though.

Yeah, that's really messed up because someone will have spent all this money in plane, car, hotel, food, etc. to visit and they could just be wasting their time if they were already determined to be rejected. It's better with remote interviews ofc, but some have to take time off from work. And medical schools have the nerve to talk about ethics LOL.

I think part of the reason why they do this is to show they interview lots of people and then say their admission rates are low. Employers do this too by posting on different websites like Indeed where they never respond to applicants and they also can show they can't hire enough people which can also make them eligible for government grants/assistance.

Just another hoop to jump through in this broken healthcare system.

Last edited:
I think they might follow last years trend and wait a little longer than oct 15

would they be sent out via email or would we just need to keep checking the portal?

Did anyone try calling the admissions office to see what they are saying about pre-match offers?

Did anyone try calling the admissions office to see what they are saying about pre-match offers?
I really want to, but I also don't want to come off as annoying since they never guaranteed a response today

I don't think they gave out prematch offers on Friday.

I got into Lubbock and I'm trying to decide between the two (in case I get into Galveston). In Lubbock, in year 2, you have to take a medical spanish course, which I don't think you have to at UTMB Galveston, so if PBL is only like the first year (??? is it for 2 years???) it seems like a wash.

Questions to anyone that knows or goes to UTMB:

1) How time-consuming is the PBL portion of the program? I read in an old thread from 2008 that it's only like 6 hours a week (SOURCE: What's UTMB-Galveston Like? :

I'm a current second year so I can answer a couple questions... PBL is no more than 6 hours per week (2 hrs on MWF) and it is not nearly as bad as most people say it is. We usually get out early from it, and it helps to put things in a clinical perspective. Because it is supposedly "PBL heavy" lectures are not necessary. It is more of a teach yourself sort of curriculum, and you have plenty of time to do so. I agree that PBL is not for everyone - but get a good laptop and play on the internet if you don't want to be there. You can get by with fairly decent grades by just chiming in with something you read on wikipedia. PBL is never more than like 10% of your grade anyways. They have a fairly easy grading system - Honors, High Pass, and Pass. The top half of the class gets Honors or High Pass so it isn't too difficult to attain (and preclinical grades don't matter in the long run anyways).

The first year schedule is 8am-12pm and second year is 1pm-4pmish most every day. You will have one day a week each year where you are there for either the morning or the afternoon depending on your class schedule. Most people do not go to lectures after the first class or two. I pretty much have Tuesdays and Thursdays off unless I have a scheduled lab on one of those afternoons. I have plenty of free time - I'm married and 6.5 months pregnant and not too concerned about "failing out" of school.

2) Is this program true pass/fail? Or do they do internal ranking with AOA?

3) Is Galveston gonna give more time for Step 2 prep now that it is prioritized for residency matching vs the Step 1?

4) If you had to choose between Galveston and Lubbock why? Lubbock is a nicer town, cheaper rent, has Costco, etc. but it's out in the middle of nowhere. Galveston is an hour away from Houston, and George Bush airport, etc. but Galveston itself is supposed to be dumpy. Too bad I can't visit either of them in person easily at least not for many months.

Last edited:
5) I read that a few years ago at Galveston they don't prepare you already dissected cadavers for anatomy lab and that this is a massive time sink compared to other medical schools that give it to you. Spending time cutting through fat and so forth is not very conducive to learning, so wondering if this has changed at Galveston in recent years.

5) I read that a few years ago at Galveston they don't prepare you already dissected cadavers for anatomy lab and that this is a massive time sink compared to other medical schools that give it to you. Spending time cutting through fat and so forth is not very conducive to learning, so wondering if this has changed at Galveston in recent years.
This would be a plus for many applicants, as some schools have no cadaver lab at all. It’s valuable to see 3-D aspect of anatomical structures in my opinion,

Reactions: 4 users

As always, take others opinion with a grain of salt. Some people really like the process of dissecting their own cadaver even if there's fat and such because it helps them visualize and remember better. I can't think of many schools where the dissection takes more than a few hours for each section, and I think many of the schools in Texas already make you do it. I'm not from UTMB but even if you don't find it helpful, you can always use netanatomy or go in on the weekends for better cadavers.

Are any of y'all going to the campus tour tomorrow?

Does anyone know when they’ll start accepting people this year? I think they started on 10/30 last year

Does anyone know when they’ll start accepting people this year? I think they started on 10/30 last year
At the campus preview day yesterday, they mentioned they like to interview at least half of the applicants who they will be interviewing before sending out invites, so sometime late october/early november will be the first pre-matches

Reactions: 5 users
At the campus preview day yesterday, they mentioned they like to interview at least half of the applicants who they will be interviewing before sending out invites, so sometime late october/early november will be the first pre-matches
how important is it to attend the campus preview and also the virtual town series. I'm instate, but not in Texas atm, and wondering if should fly in for this. It's only 4 hours for the campus preview. Not sure if I should burn $300-400 to go for a 4 hour event, but at the same time, worried it'll show I'm not interested.

It'd be better if they accepted people first so then they can decide whether or not they want to go to this event.

How many people attended the preview day?

Pretty sure the last group was about 18 people

Sorry if this has already been asked, but when do we normally find out whether we have a 10 am or 2 pm interview slot? My interview is in 3 days and I haven't heard anything yet.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but when do we normally find out whether we have a 10 am or 2 pm interview slot? My interview is in 3 days and I haven't heard anything yet.
if I remember correctly, you'll be able to know which slot you have once the "Video Interview" tab pops up on the portal. I think mine showed up a day or two before my interview

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question for those who have interviewed- since there are 2 separate "sell yourself" interviews, did you essentially say the same things in each one since they are different interviewers? or would this be a disadvantage in the end? Thanks!

Quick question for those who have interviewed- since there are 2 separate "sell yourself" interviews, did you essentially say the same things in each one since they are different interviewers? or would this be a disadvantage in the end? Thanks!
You just have to see how the conversation flows - you can’t decide exactly what you want to say until you see what they ask you

In my experience, even though it was presented as a "sell yourself", my interviewers had some specific questions in mind to start the conversation off. This led to me talking about different parts of my application for each interview.

In my experience, even though it was presented as a "sell yourself", my interviewers had some specific questions in mind to start the conversation off. This led to me talking about different parts of my application for each interview.
This makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

What are yall's stats (GPA and MCAT) if you dont mind be asking for those who have either recieved an interview or have already pre-matched?