2021-2022 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is everyone directly answering the "physician's role in public health" generally, or are you all tying in your own experiences? I feel like speaking generally directly answers the question, but it also sounds slightly generic.
With only 150 words, you've got 4 or 5 sentences. Not enough space to do anything but answer generally. you might be able to include passive experience like "From my time serving Doritos for the Homeless People with Cystic Fibrosis Alliance, I learned that the role of the physician in public health is..." But anything beyond that is just going to eat up precious words.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
is everyone directly answering the "physician's role in public health" generally, or are you all tying in your own experiences? I feel like speaking generally directly answers the question, but it also sounds slightly generic.
Tied in my own, otherwise it just seems like fluff that anyone could write.

Just submitted 4 letters along with my secondary even though I’d explicitly noted to myself they only wanted three 🥴

Based on applicants on previous years’ threads they only pick and choose 3 right? I know there’s nothing to be done about it now, but in case there’s anyone out there who’s yet to assign letters just remember to only send 3 !!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted 4 letters along with my secondary even though I’d explicitly noted to myself they only wanted three 🥴

Based on applicants on previous years’ threads they only pick and choose 3 right? I know there’s nothing to be done about it now, but in case there’s anyone out there who’s yet to assign letters just remember to only send 3 !!
Just wanted to check, but if I have a committee letter, that will override this, right?

any IIs yet? per MSAR, they start sending out IIs today 😲
This is around when they send them out usually, so I wouldn't be surprised. Anyone know if they hold off on review until they've received all designated LOR's? Their minimum is 2 and I've been marked complete because 2 of mine have arrived, but I have a third designated to them that I'm still waiting on. Its kinda my most important one from a long-term employer and research mentor, so...

ugh my bad. I keep getting mixed up because other places use II as meaning secondary. Thank you for explaining!
In that case, we should just use Roman numerals for everything hahaha. I, II, III (interview), and IV (acceptance)

Members don't see this ad :)
No point in stressing when others get theirs. Your application is not their application. Relax.
Really not stressing tbh. I just like having something to watch/pay attention to/look forward to. Kind of like waiting for a package in the mail back in the day - you know it’s coming, you keep looking out the window in anticipation, but you’re not sure exactly when the mail carrier’s going to show up with it.

Reactions: 6 users
Really not stressing tbh. I just like having something to watch/pay attention to/look forward to. Kind of like waiting for a package in the mail back in the day - you know it’s coming, you keep looking out the window in anticipation, but you’re not sure exactly when the mail carrier’s going to show up with it.
A good word for that is “iktsuarpok”

Inuit word meaning “The feeling of anticipation while waiting for someone to arrive, often leading to intermittently going outside to check for them.”

Reactions: 7 users
A good word for that is “iktsuarpok”

Inuit word meaning “The feeling of anticipation while waiting for someone to arrive, often leading to intermittently going outside to check for them.”
Had no idea I was going to be learning some Inuit in the USC thread of all places, but I’m not complaining. Definitely a fitting word!

Reactions: 2 users
man they really tricked us by saying on MSAR that they'd start sending out IIs beginning July 12 lol

Reactions: 1 users
submitted AMCAS day 5/29
secondary received 6/30
secondary completed 7/11
IS, first time applicant
GPA 3.2
MCAT 509

Did they mean August 12th lol?
I feel like they wouldn't since USC typically sends out IIs early (like around this time). trying not to consider this possibility...but maybe they've started sending them and none of us have gotten one yet? 😬

• Hmm
I feel like they wouldn't since USC typically sends out IIs early (like around this time). trying not to consider this possibility...but maybe they've started sending them and none of us have gotten one yet? 😬
Anything is possible, but, it is statistically unlikely based on many years worth of SDN data and participation rates.

This is like one of only 6 MD only programs I am applying to with the rest being MD/PhD (which is usually later/more drawn out)....I hope they start releasing soon, because this is going to be the only early-cycle action I can get...

• Haha
This is like one of only 6 MD only programs I am applying to with the rest being MD/PhD (which is usually later/more drawn out)....I hope they start releasing soon, because this is going to be the only early-cycle action I can get...
What about the other 5? :)

I'm also anxious about Pitt because MSAR says that they also will be sending IIs starting mid-July

I'm also anxious about Pitt because MSAR says that they also will be sending IIs starting mid-July
I don't think there is any reason at all to be anxious, at least not until you see other people receiving IIs. It pays to remember that we are less than 3 weeks into a nearly year long process. As for myself, I don't worry about not being the first to receive a secondary, because I know it will come. As for IIs however, ... :)

About how many days did it take people to receive secondaries from Keck after AMCAS verification? Just got verified a few days ago, and trying to trace back this thread to figure it out but I can't quite tell. Also seems like timing of receiving the Keck secondary just varies from person to person?

About how many days did it take people to receive secondaries from Keck after AMCAS verification? Just got verified a few days ago, and trying to trace back this thread to figure it out but I can't quite tell. Also seems like timing of receiving the Keck secondary just varies from person to person?
I was verified on 7/4 but added Keck on 7/6 and received the secondary the same day

Transmitted on 6/25 and received the secondary on 6/28.

Transmitted on 6/25, 2° on 7/2.

Transmitted 06/25, received secondary 07/02

Transmitted 6/25, received secondary on 6/26

my heart rate temporarily skyrockets every time I see a new notification on this thread

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
is anyone having a problem uploading their photo? My secondary is due TODAY and i keep getting an error every time I click save. (already switched browsers, tried a different photo, all under 4MB, correct format etc etc)

I emailed them and they said their developer would take a look into this but i see other people were able to submit so I'm not sure if it's just me or not!

Does anyone know if USC considers LGBTQ+ individuals under-represented in medicine? I know UMich does so I wasn't sure if I should answer the "Are you a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?" question.

• Hmm
Does anyone know if USC considers LGBTQ+ individuals under-represented in medicine? I know UMich does so I wasn't sure if I should answer the "Are you a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?" question.
I've always answered that question from the perspective of the AMCAS URM definition unless explicitly told otherwise somewhere close to the questions or within the question itself (like on Northwestern's I believe.)

Edit: Maybe not NW's now that I'm looking at it again, but another school definitely put their own URM definition on there near a similar question.

I've always answered that question from the perspective of the AMCAS URM definition unless explicitly told otherwise somewhere close to the questions or within the question itself (like on Northwestern's I believe.)

Edit: Maybe not NW's now that I'm looking at it again, but another school definitely put their own URM definition on there near a similar question.
I just looked it up and found this on their website: "The Keck School defines URiM as being from racial/ethnic groups traditionally underrepresented in medicine, including black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander." So, you're right!

Whoooops, I submitted back on 7/6 assuming I could use LGBTQ. RIP. Hopefully it doesn't hurt me.

Anybody’s letters downloaded much later after being sent from amcas. Does that mean our application is being reviewed.

Ex. Letters initially said on the portal “received 7/1”, and now it says received “7/17”

Anybody’s letters downloaded much later after being sent from amcas. Does that mean our application is being reviewed.
all 3 of mine say 6/21 at the same time, hasn't changed

edit: I think I remember seeing in one of the past years' Keck threads that that means they might have started reviewing your letters. when were you complete?