2021-2022 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, I haven't gotten an email :(
Congrats to those of you who have been accepted!

Just got hit with the WL, deferred in Jan....

Anyone know if there's significant movement at all?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Placed on the waitlist but confused with the email wording. First it says alternate list then it says waitlist

• Care
Waitlisted :( fourth one of the year

• Care
WL after being deferred in January. Will be declining it - good luck and congrats to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
A after being deferred in January! Was pleasantly surprised with this one💛

Reactions: 3 users
just got rejected. I know this sounds dramatic to many, but I just feel devastated. This hurts more than any breakup or anything. It's just when you sacrifice so much, and you try so *so* hard getting that rejection email really blows. I just wish I knew what to I could have done better bc I really would've done it.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
i'm so happy for those who got accepted. I hope you know that for many students this is/was a dream school, and I hope you come to appreciate/love it if you don't already.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
just got rejected. I know this sounds dramatic to many, but I just feel devastated. This hurts more than any breakup or anything. It's just when you sacrifice so much, and you try so *so* hard getting that rejection email really blows. I just wish I knew what to I could have done better bc I really would've done it.
@stella1700 I am so sorry to hear that. I know it's really difficult, but you are clearly such a talented and fantastic candidate for medical school to have gotten so far and sometimes things just go in a way that no one understands-- especially with the med school admissions process. But I wish you so much luck in your journey, and I know you're going to be an awesome doctor! Feel free to dm if you ever want to talk :)

• Care
@stella1700 I am so sorry to hear that. I know it's really difficult, but you are clearly such a talented and fantastic candidate for medical school to have gotten so far and sometimes things just go in a way that no one understands-- especially with the med school admissions process. But I wish you so much luck in your journey, and I know you're going to be an awesome doctor! Feel free to dm if you ever want to talk :)
thank you so much!

Just remember it’s not a matter of “if you get in”, but a matter of “when you get in”. Persistence, determination, and devotion are characteristics that set the stage for a successful physician and you’ve got it to have come this far. Just know that they aren’t saying no, this particular school is just saying “not yet”. Scores and experience, anyone can get, but heart can’t be taught and you’ve got a lot of that. People put a lot of stock in stats and that is only a piece of the package. Keep killing it and apply til you die if you have to ✊

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know how many people get off the WL based on past years?
I've been looking everywhere and can't find any info released by the school. looking at old threads there's definitely movement from May 1 to June 1 but it's tough to gauge how much. every year is different.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been looking everywhere and can't find any info released by the school. looking at old threads there's definitely movement from May 1 to June 1 but it's tough to gauge how much. every year is different.
What have these numbers roughly been? 😬

Just got off the waitlist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Also admitted off the watilist! They sent a email to me and I sent a letter of interest and update letter a couple weeks ago.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
They sent an email. I sent a letter of interest (that also mentions a new research project I started working on) in late March. My LM score is 70. My MCAT is wayyy below their 10th percentile. Have 3.9 GPA. Good luck everyone!!! Wish everyone gets the news they are hoping for.

Reactions: 3 users
For financial aid, is Sinai a loans school or a grant school? In other words, when they subtract EFC from COA, is that difference covered by loans or grants?

Just got off the WL this morning! For those of you wondering, I sent in a letter of interest/update on 5/4.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got off the WL this morning! For those of you wondering, I sent in a letter of interest/update on 5/4.
CONGRATS!!! when you say you sent in a letter, did you just upload it to the portal or did you email someone?

Congrats!! Did you send letter of intent? What were your stats?
thank you!! i did—i interviewed in mid november, sent one in january, got waitlisted :’), sent another one in late april! bc i didnt want to be repetitive, i also included updates in the one in april. the one in january was mainly why i like the school and the one in april was why i’m a good fit. im orm, in state, LM is 76

What does the typical day look like for a Sinai med student in preclinical years? I saw we only get one half "flex day" off per week. Does that mean we have classes and labs all day every day besides that one day? That seems very exhausting. The other med schools I am thinking of going to are half-days almost every day of the week.

thank you!! i did—i interviewed in mid november, sent one in january, got waitlisted :’), sent another one in late april! bc i didnt want to be repetitive, i also included updates in the one in april. the one in january was mainly why i like the school and the one in april was why i’m a good fit. im orm, in state, LM is 76
Did they in any way confirm seeing your LOI that you submitted? I got an email saying they saw my update letter in February, but didn't hear anything regarding my letter of intent sent earlier this month

Did they in any way confirm seeing your LOI that you submitted? I got an email saying they saw my update letter in February, but didn't hear anything regarding my letter of intent sent earlier this month
I would also like to see if people have been getting notified that their letter has been read. I’ve uploaded several things since March and haven’t gotten notified of anyone seeing them.

Does anyone know how third year clerkships are at Sinai? Specifically:
  • how much is your grade weighted on evals vs. shelf exams?
  • how difficult is to honor rotations?
  • do you get to pick your rotation site?
  • do you get to create the order of your rotations?