2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long should we expect for interviews to be scheduled after an II? Received II 8/16 (verified 7/7), have not heard back yet even though my specified date is coming up in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

How long should we expect for interviews to be scheduled after an II? Received II 8/16 (verified 7/7), have not heard back yet even though my specified date is coming up in a few weeks.
Pretty sure they will email us the times one week before iirc

Freaking out right now, got an II, stats in bio, didn't imagine in a million years they'd interview me but WOW

e: Arizona campus

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my interview scheduled today. They emailed me the date, the interviewers names and the times. I got my II on 8/17.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
just got the pre-II R
Did you get an R or a Hold? Last year they mostly only sent Holds, which were thought to be soft Rs. I just received a Hold.

Edit: Sorry, I see now many more people got R's this year.

GW, WVU, SUNY.
So I’m at 3 II, 1 R, 4 holds.
Feels bad.

2+ weeks since my past invite, hearing nothing back, only to get another hold.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know 85% of applicants have a big O for interviews and a few R's now, right?
Looking at these threads, one would think it’s much higher. I can think of at least 10 users on here that have 7 or 8.

Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful but it feels bad to go from that position one cycle to a middling applicant this cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Looking at these threads, one would think it’s much higher. I can think of at least 10 users on here that have 7 or 8.

Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful but it feels bad to go from that position one cycle to a middling applicant this cycle.
Mhmm, I'm just saying, of course, people with high II loads will be commenting...but there are still hundreds of people browsing with nothing who probably don't appreciate someone complaining about 3 II's or saying 3 II's is "middling" when the middling or otherwise average applicant literally just has a pool of R's right now (or nothing at all).

Reactions: 7 users
it feels bad to go from that position one cycle to a middling applicant this cycle.

Middling Applicant: 3 II's mid September with one from UVA.

Morning Way GIF

Bro I think you are still a top applicant...

Reactions: 4 users

Rs and holds sting, there's no way around that. Even the Rs I received after my initial acceptance still stung.

However, just remember that it only takes one A, and when you get to med school, nobody even cares how many IIs you received. It's a means to an end, not a competition.

SDN has some sampling bias. Those who receive IIs are more likely to share them, etc. Just take a deep breath and keep moving forward. It's also still early.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Mhmm, I'm just saying, of course, people with high II loads will be commenting...but there are still hundreds of people browsing with nothing who probably don't appreciate someone complaining about 3 II's or saying 3 II's is "middling" when the middling or otherwise average applicant literally just has a pool of R's right now (or nothing at all).
I know and I really am grateful. Really. I just keep reading horror stories on here/Reddit about some applicants ending up on 5 or 6 post II waitlists.

if I have to apply one more time, so be it. but I would prefer not to. I’ll have to wait and see until the 15th:

I know and I really am grateful. Really. I just keep reading horror stories on here/Reddit about some applicants ending up on 5 or 6 post II waitlists.

if I have to apply one more time, so be it. but I would prefer not to.
The ball's in your court friend, it'll work out...just do your due diligence.

I wouldn't worry yet. I had a 3.5 week gap and then another II earlier this week. But I get what you feel tbh. I'm at 4 IIs and I'm also disappointed I don't have more yet. But I'm confident I'll end up with 10 or so given 4 already. September and October are peak season after all, especially October.
What are you worried about exactly? 3, 4 II's now are amazing. If you're a high stat or special interest applicant it's probably improbable you'll get "10" down the line unless you submitted late or something, but that also brings along its own faults. Medial applicants tend to get the interviews later down the line for the most part.

You know 85% of applicants have a big O for interviews and a few R's now, right?
This is interesting. Where does this number come from? I haven't seen anything like it, anywhere, other than right here, right now! :)

I wouldn't worry yet. I had a 3.5 week gap and then another II earlier this week. But I get what you feel tbh. I'm at 4 IIs and I'm also disappointed I don't have more yet. But I'm confident I'll end up with 10 or so given 4 already. September and October are peak season after all, especially October.
I think it’s difficult to extrapolate. When I previously applied, I got 8 or 9 by end of August, 1 in September, 1 in January. Think I applied to like 30ish but don’t remember exactly. So I had silence all October, November, and December

You will get more I would assume. Though a 150% increase sounds like a lot.

Last edited:
This is interesting. Where does this number come from? I haven't seen anything like it, anywhere, other than right here, right now!
I would guess the figure is in the right ballpark. However, a lot of people (non-SDNers) seem to apply much later. So it’s not really strange if somebody submitted late august and doesn’t have any interviews. They may well still get 10+ IIs. For somebody that was complete early July, not so much

But, you know better. You're not a middling applicant.

3 IIs is 3 more than the SDN experts predicted for you, and it's still only the middle of September. Did you honestly, really think you were going to have the same cycle you had before? I dunno, but, If I were you, I'd be feeling pretty good right now, to have proven the naysayers wrong, with 3 shots, and more likely to come, even if you have declared yourself done since it's 1.5-2 months since you have been complete at most schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess the figure is in the right ballpark. However, a lot of people (non-SDNers) seem to apply much later. So it’s not really strange if somebody submitted late august and doesn’t have any interviews. They may well still get 10+ IIs. For somebody that was complete early July, not so much
Again, based on what? I'm not questioning it, other than to say it sounds entirely random. Why 85%, and not 95%, or 60%?

What percent of applicants have been reviewed, and what percent of them received IIs? And, how many are the same people receiving IIs at each schools? I haven't seen anything published, anywhere, on this!

I think it’s difficult to extrapolate. When I previously applied, I got 8 or 9 by end of August, 1 in September, 1 in January. Think I applied to like 30ish but don’t remember exactly. So I had silence all October, November, and December

FWIW, this cycle is also going to be really slow because of COVID disruptions again. The premed advisors at my school told us that they don't expect much movement for now, similar to last cycle. Also, apparently this cycle has even more applicants than last cycle, so there's way more applications schools have to go through. I wouldn't be worried now, there's still tons of time with all these delays.

FWIW, this cycle is also going to be really slow because of COVID disruptions again. The premed advisors at my school told us that they don't expect much movement for now, similar to last cycle. Also, apparently this cycle has even more applicants than last cycle, so there's way more applications schools have to go through. I wouldn't be worried now, there's still tons of time with all these delays.
People said this last year, too, and then it turned out October wasn't on time for being complete after all, and @Goro's school was interviewing for the WL earlier than ever before. I totally would not count on this.

Yes, it's early, but that's because it's early, not because COVID has pushed anything back. It hasn't, and your advisors are misinformed. You can just look at the activity on SDN to see everything is happening, everywhere, pretty much on a normal schedule. The only COVID impact is virtual interviews.

People said this last year, too, and then it turned out October wasn't on time for being complete after all, and @Goro's school was interviewing for the WL earlier than ever before. I totally would not count on this.

Yes, it's early, but that's because it's early, not because COVID has pushed anything back. It hasn't, and your advisors are misinformed. You can just look at the activity on SDN to see everything is happening, everywhere, pretty much on a normal schedule. The only COVID impact is virtual interviews.
This is demonstrably false at several schools.

I was explicitly told by admissions staff at multiple schools last year that their entire timeline was slowed down by COVID-19.

This has also happened this year; two of the schools I applied to didn't even start sending out II's until over two weeks after they planned to.

It's definitely not wise to make sweeping statements like this. Admissions timelines vary by institution, and SDN isn't anywhere close to a representative sample for anything.

This is demonstrably false at several schools.

I was explicitly told by admissions staff at multiple schools last year that their entire timeline was slowed down by COVID-19.

This has also happened this year; two of the schools I applied to didn't even start sending out II's until over two weeks after they planned to.

It's definitely not wise to make sweeping statements like this. Admissions timelines vary by institution, and SDN isn't anywhere close to a representative sample for anything.
NYU, Umich, Vanderbilt, Weill, Stony Brook all seem to be booked until mid November. And those are just the ones that come to mind in a split second. I think that more top applicants are accepting and attending more interviews than usual since it’s easier to do many remote interviews than in person ones. Could be having an impact on scheduling but not sure.

I would say your experience is rather unique. My friend that got 10+ interviews in prior cycles generally got 2 in august, 3 in september, 4 in october, 2 in november, and 1 in december (plus or minus one per month, varied by person). One of my friends this cycle (3.99/527) got 3 in August and 3 in September as of today and she literally submitted every secondary within 3 days of getting them (I submitted closer to the end of two weeks, average).

Perhaps it was because you went to a top school and all my friends attended state schools, so your priority was shifted upwards and your application was reviewed earlier? I don't really know, but you're the only person I know whose IIs were this heavily front loaded.

What exactly does "Big O" mean in this case because I'm assuming it doesn't refer to the slang I'm familiar with...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What exactly does "Big O" mean in this case because I'm assuming it doesn't refer to the slang I'm familiar with...
I'm assuming it was meant to mean zero, but thank you for giving me a totally 100% professional, not childish at all giggle

What are you worried about exactly? 3, 4 II's now are amazing. If you're a high stat or special interest applicant it's probably improbable you'll get "10" down the line unless you submitted late or something, but that also brings along its own faults. Medial applicants tend to get the interviews later down the line for the most part.
That hasn't been true in my experience with high stat applicants (3.9+,52X).

As I mentioned in an earlier post "My friend that got 10+ interviews in prior cycles generally got 2 in august, 3 in september, 4 in october, 2 in november, and 1 in december (plus or minus one per month, varied by person). One of my friends this cycle (3.99/527) got 3 in August and 3 in September as of today and she literally submitted every secondary within 3 days of getting them (I submitted closer to the end of two weeks, average)."

I should also note that almost all of them received their top school invites beginning in October, and two of them that currently attend Penn (and were accepted to at 5+ T20 schools) received their first invites whatsoever on August 31 and September 21 respectively.

I think part of it comes down to your school breakdown. I applied to 35 schools almost all within the top 50 medical schools in the country. High stats are a base requirement from top schools, so you don't really receive immediate consideration regardless.

As I mentioned in an earlier post "My friend that got 10+ interviews in prior cycles generally got 2 in august, 3 in september, 4 in october, 2 in november, and 1 in december (plus or minus one per month, varied by person). One of my friends this cycle (3.99/527) got 3 in August and 3 in September as of today and she literally submitted every secondary within 3 days of getting them (I submitted closer to the end of two weeks, average)."

I should also note that almost all of them received their top school invites beginning in October, and two of them that currently attend Penn (and were accepted to at 5+ T20 schools) received their first invites whatsoever on August 31 and September 21 respectively.

I think part of it comes down to your school breakdown. I applied to 35 schools almost all within the top 50 medical schools in the country. High stats are a base requirement from top schools, so you don't really receive immediate consideration regardless.
When were you and she complete at most places if you don’t mind my asking. I was complete almost everywhere early July, so I’m somewhat concerned that many schools might have already read my application.

When were you and she complete at most places if you don’t mind my asking. I was complete almost everywhere early July, so I’m somewhat concerned that many schools might have already read my application.
She was verified Day 1, and submitted all secondaries schools within 3 days of receiving them. I was verified Day 2 and submitted all my secondaries at approximately the two week mark from receiving them. I think that's a little more useful than specific complete date at the beginning of the cycle (as one school sent out its first wave of secondaries in the last week of July).

To generally estimate though, I would say she submitted 90% of her secondaries by mid July and I submitted 90% of mine by late July (late as in up to literally the last day). I'm surprised you managed to submit all of your secondaries by early July tbh. Around a third of my schools didn't even send secondaries until mid July.

She was verified Day 1, and submitted all secondaries schools within 3 days of receiving them. I was verified Day 2 and submitted all my secondaries at approximately the two week mark from receiving them. I think that's a little more useful than specific complete date at the beginning of the cycle (as one school sent out its first wave of secondaries in the last week of July).

To generally estimate though, I would say she submitted 90% of her secondaries by mid July and I submitted 90% of mine by late July (late as in up to literally the last day). I'm surprised you managed to submit all of your secondaries by early July tbh. Around a third of my schools didn't even send secondaries until mid July.
A good portion were actually complete mid-late july. I’d say a little over half were submitted within first week though

There are several MCASOM virtual information sessions being held. They're on September 18th, September 19th, September 25th, and September 26th at 10:00AM - 11:00 AM (CST). Students from all 3 campuses, Admissions, and the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will be there to answer any questions and give interview/application tips.

The registration link is here.

Well, more of he said she said, I could say the exact opposite...I have 8 friends at NYU (upperclassmen, HYPSM school) and all of them were interviewed in September. I've gotten 11 II's so far (all at top schools, I haven't received my state school yet ironically), 9 of which occurred in the span of 2 weeks and 2 in the past month. We all submitted early.

Our premed advisor, a former AO for our medical school, essentially endorsed that at least at her school there was definitely an ordered review for high stat and/or special case (URMs, etc.) students, and that 520x/3.9x with no II's at Thanksgiving was worse than an average applicant with no II's at Thanksgiving.

Is that true? I have no idea, since I've seen the exact opposite happen last cycle and this cycle. Maybe at her school only. Maybe elite colleges also get priority, since our data (we have mass II data given to us) pretty much shows an exponential decrease after Oct.

Long story short, none of us know anything!

Is that true? I have no idea, since I've seen the exact opposite happen last cycle and this cycle. Maybe at her school only. Maybe elite colleges also get priority, since our data (we have mass II data given to us) pretty much shows an exponential decrease after Oct.

Long story short, none of us know anything!
In my experience, this is somewhat true. When I applied in person, it was pretty shocking to see the distribution of schools that applicants came from. It looked more like a super day at Bridgewater to be honest. It’s harder to see now since fewer schools have opportunities for applicants to meet each other in non-formal settings. But, schools (Pitt, Wustl, Case Western etc.) that have elite med schools but not so elite undergrad schools still favor their own applicants. There was always a handful of same school undergrads.

Of course it’s impossible to tell if applicants from elite schools just tend to have better applications. Who knows?

In my experience, this is somewhat true. When I applied in person, it was pretty shocking to see the distribution of schools that applicants came from. It looked more like a super day at Bridgewater to be honest. It’s harder to see now since fewer schools have opportunities for applicants to meet each other in non-formal settings. But, schools (Pitt, Wustl, Case Western etc.) that have elite med schools but not so elite undergrad schools still favor their own applicants. There was always a handful of same school undergrads.

Of course it’s impossible to tell if applicants from elite schools just tend to have better applications. Who knows?
I've had a couple of interviews so far and at the student day/pre-interview at Pritzker there were actually exclusively HYP and Chicago students. Legit no one else. The other interview we didn't have a vocal student meetup but I could still see the people in info session and I had 2 classmates there (lol).

As per your second point, definitely not. Even if we assumed it did, there aren't THAT many HYPSM/Chicago/etc. premed students applying each year (according to our school it's about 120 per year and 20% of them don't get accepted, and considering the average MCAT is ~516 at these schools, only about 60% of them are even competitive to top schools in the first place, so the number turns out to be somewhere around 80...then safely assume 800 for T10 undergrads) AKA not that significant. I just think Deans care, like if they care so much about USNews then it would logically extend downstream.

There are several MCASOM virtual information sessions being held. They're on September 18th, September 19th, September 25th, and September 26th at 10:00AM - 11:00 AM (CST). Students from all 3 campuses, Admissions, and the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will be there to answer any questions and give interview/application tips.

The registration link is here.
If you register, do they send further information to your email, or do you have a link to the actual session available?

I've had a couple of interviews so far and at the student day/pre-interview at Pritzker there were actually exclusively HYP and Chicago students. Legit no one else. The other interview we didn't have a vocal student meetup but I could still see the people in info session and I had 2 classmates there (lol).

As per your second point, definitely not. Even if we assumed it did, there aren't THAT many HYPSM/Chicago/etc. premed students applying each year (according to our school it's about 120 per year and 20% of them don't get accepted, and considering the average MCAT is ~516 at these schools, only about 60% of them are even competitive to top schools in the first place, so the number turns out to be somewhere around 80...then safely assume 800 for T10 undergrads) AKA not that significant. I just think Deans care, like if they care so much about USNews then it would logically extend downstream.
I interviewed at Pritzker on their first interview day this cycle, and about 1/3 of the students came from local lesser known colleges.

Wow. That’s intense. Never experienced anything on that level before. You figure there would at least be some people from Columbia, Penn, Dartmouth, Brown etc. Do you think that HYPSM gives that much of a boost over lower Ivy’s? I wonder how top students from the former do compared to above average at the Latter.

20% don’t get in from HYPSM? Do they solely apply to top schools or something?

I interviewed at Pritzker on their first interview day this cycle, and about 1/3 of the students came from local lesser known colleges.
Wild. I was not on their first day but I'm happy if this is true because my experience actively pushed me away from the school.

Wild. I was not on their first day but I'm happy if this is true because my experience actively pushed me away from the school.
it's probably hard to extrapolate that from a single interview day, since there's a lot of random chance that goes into which students happen to sign up for a particular interview slot. i think it would be pretty informative if the interview tracker also tracked UG school--could tell you a little bit about "unofficial feeder schools" to particular med schools