2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey yall are they mcat blind up to interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: It looks like it was a mistake the MD essays posted above got added to my portal now as well
I just received the MSTP secondary but don't see any MD essays. Should I reach out?

I just received the MSTP secondary but don't see any MD essays. Should I reach out?
I also don’t have them either. I’m wondering if they only show up if you select to be considered for MD too?

For the Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated. essay, would it be rude to say that I honestly don't care which campus I'm on an just talk about Why Mayo in general?

For the Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top choice track you indicated. essay, would it be rude to say that I honestly don't care which campus I'm on an just talk about Why Mayo in general?
Rude? No -- if you don't have a preference, there is no reason to make one up in order to answer a prompt! :)

Hey guys, for the last prompt, I'm not 100% sure what it's asking. "Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine" sounds to me like a "why is diversity important" prompt but I'm not completely sure

Reactions: 1 users
I just received one this morning, the only prompt that I see on mine is

In the space below, write a brief paragraph (max. 500 characters) explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic MD-PhD Program.

Interesting that the MD applicants get 500 words and we get a few short sentences :(
Can I ask when your primary transmitted?

Does anyone know if we have to be in the 4-year Arizona track if we are interested in the MD/MBA program linked to Arizona State? Or is it possible to apply for the Minnesota track and just move to Arizona for your MBA year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know sometimes it's being extra to play this game, but does anyone know if applying to more tracks makes a significant difference in how easier it is to get an II/aaceptance or not really?

Does anyone know if we have to be in the 4-year Arizona track if we are interested in the MD/MBA program linked to Arizona State? Or is it possible to apply for the Minnesota track and just move to Arizona for your MBA year?
You can complete the MBA regardless of what site you are accepted to.

I know sometimes it's being extra to play this game, but does anyone know if applying to more tracks makes a significant difference in how easier it is to get an II/aaceptance or not really?
You're really asking about degrees of impossible. :) The II rate is 11%, and the A rate is 21% of those who are interviewed, so it's far from easy (basically, 2% accept rate), no matter what you do. You rank them all, unless there is one you would absolutely not attend, because, after all, what's the point of ranking of a track you would never accept, other than to say you were accepted to Mayo and turned them down?

I'm trying to write the Why Mayo essay, but I'm having trouble identifying reasons why I am picking Rochester above the other options (or any of the other paths for that matter). Do you guys have any specific things you talked about for why you picked Rochester, Florida, or AZ?
What do you value the most in your medical education? You can talk about weather preferences, that Rochester is a good place to raise a family, or maybe a specific research mentor in a field you are interested in. They only want a few sentences, don't overthink it!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to write the Why Mayo essay, but I'm having trouble identifying reasons why I am picking Rochester above the other options (or any of the other paths for that matter). Do you guys have any specific things you talked about for why you picked Rochester, Florida, or AZ?
Regional/state connections?

Their website explicitly states they start issuing interview invites in August, so I’m not 100% sure I believe it
yeah that tracker is infamous for having people lie on it so I would take any data on that tracker with a grain of salt

Reactions: 3 users
While doing research for the Why Mayo prompt, I remember seeing a list of Selectives, but now I can't find it. If anyone comes across it, can you send it my way? Ty :)

I looked through the website to see what research happens where. For example, I'm interested in Primary immunodeficiencies and the MN campus has many more PID researchers! Might also be worth discussing the patient populations served by each. Just my two cents :)

what does this mean?
I am pretty sure it would mean that they don't look at MCATs when deciding who to interview (like UCSF does). Very few schools do this, and I have never heard that Mayo is one of them, given how much it emphasizes stats.

I am pretty sure it would mean that they don't look at MCATs when deciding who to interview (like UCSF does). Very few schools do this, and I have never heard that Mayo is one of them, given how much it emphasizes stats.
Oh wow, I had no idea. So UCSF doesn't look at MCAT either? Explains their median..

Oh wow, I had no idea. So UCSF doesn't look at MCAT either? Explains their median..
They look at it post interview, but not before. And, they say they don't even require it!

I don't think this is what it means. I just think it means the interviewers are blinded to your MCAT score. Not that interviews are given out with no consideration of MCAT score.

I don't think this is what it means. I just think it means the interviewers are blinded to your MCAT score. Not that interviews are given out with no consideration of MCAT score.
I honestly have no clue how it might be work, but if there blind MCAT reviews pre-II, it might designed where stats were put in a rubric and assigned some type of score while a separate individual goes through your application essays without knowledge of your stats. Then, the two assessments are combined for a holistic picture. Just a thought I have no idea how schools that say they're MCAT blinded pre-interview actually work

Is there anywhere on this secondary to talk about gap year plans

No specific question on the secondary for you to talk about gap year plans!
No types of "anything else you want us to know" questions? Just curious because I know they don't accept updates until after II

No types of "anything else you want us to know" questions? Just curious because I know they don't accept updates until after II
Not at all. They just have their three prompts along with program/track choice

Has the cycle been pushed back here. When I applied before I was rejected in early august.

II! lm75-76 ORM. absolutely floored.
(E: Complete 7/28)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats all! Did you all apply MN 4 year or is there a mix of different tracks who got II?

Ok to confirm, appears all IIs have been for the 4Y AZ track.

ahhhh II! (Minnesota campus)

edit - LM 83 OOS ORM complete 7/23

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II !!!! Minnesota campus, lizzy M 82.2 complete 7/18

Minnesota II! 💃🏽 🕺
(LM: 75, ORM, Surprised: Beyond Belief)